This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Metarock Sam
    Oh sorry my mistake typical English slang.
    Nah, that's good to know. A fella can get slapped over a misunderstanding like that.

If I ever go to England and call a woman a "12", I now know it wouldn't be a compliment on how lovely she is, instead it would be a cautionary warning that her presence is inappropriate for small children.

Comment

Why would Auton be considered for older audiences
      Tis No Fool to lose what He can not keep, To gain what he will never Lose

Comment

You haven't seen it and I don't want to spoil anything.

The Master creates some very frightening death traps in this story.

It may be too disturbing for young children.

Comment

Yes, they love that story. There is a good chance. I'd guess the release order might be Terror of the Autons, The Daemons, and The Mind of Evil.
          The problem with all of those is that they require massive amounts of restoration work before they could be released on DVD. Due to the BBC's deleting of the stories in the 1970s the only copies of the three stories in their archive are in black and white, while they were originally transmitted in colour.

Copies of TotA and Daemons that were shown on PBS still exist, but these were transferred to American NTSC in a process that effected the quality of the image. A process has been used in the past to blend the American colour copies with the better quality British B/W -- but while this provides a better image than the NTSC version it would need (AIUI) to be completely redone from scratch to be good enough for a DVD release.

Meanwhile, the Mind of Evil doesn't even HAVE American copies in existence so only exists in B/W. BBC-WW have indicated that when they one day release it they hope to use modern technology to do a quality recolouring, even without a colour source tape. However, at the moment that's prohibitively expensive (any such release would actually make them a loss!) so MoE is likely to be of the very *last* DVDs to be released.

The Time Warrior's a much better bet for release since it's not only a fan favourite but one that's still in the original PAL colour format.

On the '12s' thing, the rankings handed out by the BBFC (the British equivalent of the MPAA) go like this:

Uc - Universal (Children). Suitable for all, but particularly geared toward children in content
          U - Univeral. Suitable for all.
          PG - Parental Guidance. Will possibly be unsuitable for some children and suitable for others. Parents should judge suitability for their own child based on their knowledge of their child.
          12A - Twelves (Accompanied). Suitable for everyone over the age of 12. Under 12's must be accompanied by someone over the age of 18.
          12 - Twelves. Suitable for everyone over the age of 12. Unsuitable for Under-12s.
          15 - Fifteens. Unsuitable for anyone under the age of 15.
          18 - Eighteens. Unsuitable for anyone under the age of 18.
          18R - Eighteens (Restricted). Highly illegal to show or sell to under 18s. Retailers and cinemas must apply for a special licence to stock/display and will not generally be allowed to mix 18R films with other ratings at the same location.

Essentially, a lot of the content in classic Who would earn it a 12 cert but the BBFC take account of the realism of the violence and, considering the low-budget of most classic Who, usually award stories a PG because they don't think the monsters are convincing enough to be genuinely frightening to most children.

The new series has gotten 12s on all it's releases so far, though.
          Last edited by Nuallain; 17 February 2006, 03:33 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Nuallain
            The problem with all of those is that they require massive amounts of restoration work before they could be released on DVD. Due to the BBC's deleting of the stories in the 1970s the only copies of the three stories in their archive are in black and white, while they were originally transmitted in colour.

Copies of TotA and Daemons that were shown on PBS still exist, but these were transferred to American NTSC in a process that effected the quality of the image. A process has been used in the past to blend the American colour copies with the better quality British B/W -- but while this provides a better image than the NTSC version it would need (AIUI) to be completely redone from scratch to be good enough for a DVD release.

Meanwhile, the Mind of Evil doesn't even HAVE American copies in existence so only exists in B/W. BBC-WW have indicated that when they one day release it they hope to use modern technology to do a quality recolouring, even without a colour source tape. However, at the moment that's prohibitively expensive (any such release would actually make them a loss!) so MoE is likely to be of the very *last* DVDs to be released.

The Time Warrior's a much better bet for release since it's not only a fan favourite but one that's still in the original PAL colour format.
            Thanks for the info. I knew it was a lot of trouble to color a story, but I didn't know how much trouble it was without the color reference.

On the '12s' thing, the rankings handed out by the BBFC (the British equivalent of the MPAA) go like this:

Uc - Universal (Children). Suitable for all, but particularly geared toward children in content
            U - Univeral. Suitable for all.
            PG - Parental Guidance. Will possibly be unsuitable for some children and suitable for others. Parents should judge suitability for their own child based on their knowledge of their child.
            12A - Twelves (Accompanied). Suitable for everyone over the age of 12. Under 12's must be accompanied by someone over the age of 18.
            12 - Twelves. Suitable for everyone over the age of 12. Unsuitable for Under-12s.
            15 - Fifteens. Unsuitable for anyone under the age of 15.
            18 - Eighteens. Unsuitable for anyone under the age of 18.
            18R - Eighteens (Restricted). Highly illegal to show or sell to under 18s. Retailers and cinemas must apply for a special licence to stock/display and will not generally be allowed to mix 18R films with other ratings at the same location.

Essentially, a lot of the content in classic Who would earn it a 12 cert but the BBFC take account of the realism of the violence and, considering the low-budget of most classic Who, usually award stories a PG because they don't think the monsters are convincing enough to be genuinely frightening to most children.

The new series has gotten 12s on all it's releases so far, though.
            Thanks again. When I was a kid here in the United States, they only had
            G (the stuff you were allowed to see on your own),
            PG (the stuff a parent went to see with you),
            R (the stuff you saw on HBO in the evening if mom and dad didn't notice the rating), and
            X (the stuff dad couldn't afford but tried to watch anyway through the squiggly lines just to hear people making funny noises; oh and the stuff your friend found hidden somewhere that made you ill from watching it and made you wonder "What the heck is wrong with these people?").

Comment

It good that they are tring to restore it to color, Don't the cost for such equipment go down all the time, maybe in a couple of years it will be affordable, or someone can find a source.

Comment

Originally posted by Deputy-Assistant-Second-Prime
                Nah, that's good to know. A fella can get slapped over a misunderstanding like that.

If I ever go to England and call a woman a "12", I now know it wouldn't be a compliment on how lovely she is, instead it would be a cautionary warning that her presence is inappropriate for small children.
                Well I think if you call a women a twelve she may slap you and say shes an eight.
                Oh Yes the Sam is Back and hes more Sci-fied up than ever !!!!!!!!!

Coming Soon a new Banner from Me

Comment

Well I think if you call a women a twelve she may slap you and say shes an eight.
                  I don't know how it works in the U.K., but here in the U.S. the higher number is better.

Regardless, I was just being silly. I never talk like that anyhow and I think people who do have no idea how silly it sounds to rate people.

Comment

It depends what kind of size you are atalking about. I originally thought you meant dress size but im getting the vibe you meant another type of size that shouldnt really be dscussed on a PG forum.

Comment

It depends what kind of size you are atalking about. I originally thought you meant dress size but im getting the vibe you meant another type of size that shouldnt really be dscussed on a PG forum.
                      I wasn't talking about size. I was talking about the "beauty scale", rating people from 1 to 10 which is prevalent at least in my culture. Or rather I was juxtaposing it to the film ratings, to make it sound even more absurd.

In case you haven't noticed, much of my culture tends to be very superficial.

[EDIT: I suppose this is another example of the transatlantic gap in language, another difference between American English and English English.]

Comment

Is Alton the 3rd 3rd doc

Comment

Originally posted by creed462
                          Is Alton the 3rd 3rd doc
                          Spearhead from Space was the first Third Doctor story (Season 7) and first appearance of the Autons.

Terror of the Autons was the fifth Third Doctor story (Season 8) and the second appearance of the Autons.

Comment

Thanks

Comment

Yeah, that's the most popular story in Season 11, hands down. Plus it's Sarah Jane Smith's debut and the first appearance of the Sontarans. I often forget about the popularity of The Time Warrior because Season 11 as a whole is generally considered Pertwee's worst season. Personally, I'll take the worst Doctor Who over "the best" reality show any day.

Comment

Originally posted by creed462
                                Is Alton the 3rd 3rd doc
                                No but the Ambassadors of Death is.

Note to all Uk people who have UKGold. The Pertwee era starts tommorow on UK Gold at 7am with Spearhead from Space !!! this is great since I havnt see that much of the Pertwee Era in a long time so it will be good to see all those episodes again.

Comment

Working...
                                X