Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Doctor Who (spoilers for any ep aired in the UK)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Y'know, I really did enjoy the first episode... but not as much as I'd hoped to. I still had some doubts about the show after "Rose". They're all gone now. "The End of the World" is an old-school Doctor Who adventure in the vein of the Peladon stories, only with better special effects and production values. The two leads have both shown some depth and range, Eccleston infusing the Doctor with a bit of "Survivor's Guilt" over Gallifrey, and Rose dealing realistically with some of the shows conventions that other companions just accepted.

-IMF
    "There's not a little boy born who wouldn't tear the world apart to save his mummy... and this little boy can." --The Doctor.
    "The plastic tips at the ends of shoelaces are called Aglets. Their true purpose is sinister."--The Question.
    BAD WOLF!!!

Comment

I really enjoyed episode 2. IMO Eccleston is great as the Doctor, such a shame he's leaving so soon. The episode was great, it reminded me of the older episodes....bizarre, a little freaky but brilliant.

Comment

loved lEpisode 2. Very deep and meaning full.

Those spider-bots looked like replicators! (According to my mum :s)
        sigpic
        Banner By JME2

Comment

Just found on Play.com that Doctor Who is already being released on DVD (Region 2)

The first volume is due for release on the 16th May 2005 and at Play.com the price is £10.99.

The DVD includes the episodes:

Rose
          The End Of The World
          The Unquient Dead

No Special features listed as of yet.

------------------------------------------------------------------------

The second volume is listed for release on the 13th June 2005 and again is priced £10.99 at Play.com

The DVD includes the episodes:

Aliens Of London
          World War Three
          Dalek

No Special Features or Cover Art available at the moment.

Comment

BBC Information

Missed an episode? Help is at hand.

We're sure that you won't be straying too far from your TV for the next few Saturday nights, but in case you do somehow miss Doctor Who, BBC DVD has announced that it will shortly be releasing all thirteen episodes of the new series across four discs:

16 May 2005: Rose, The End of the World, The Unquiet Dead
            June 2005: Volume Two
            August 2005: Volume Three
            September 2005: Volume Four

All four DVDs will be no-frills releases, aimed more at the casual viewer than the die-hard Doctor Who fan.

Serious collectors will be pleased to learn, however, that a TARDIS-shaped box set, containing all 13 episodes and a wealth of bonus material will be released in the autumn, although there are currently no plans to release Doctor Who Confidential on these DVDs.

We'll bring you details of all the planned extras just as soon as we have them.
            http://www.bbc.co.uk/cult/news/drwho...04/18306.shtml

Comment

Originally posted by TheWarrior
              Your worst nightmare...New Daleks that can go UPSTAIRS!

LEVITATE, LEVITATE! Surely nothing can save Doctor Who from the Daleks now.

Last time round, the Time Lord could outfox the tinpot terrors just by running up the stairs.

But our exclusive pictures confirm for the first time that the Daleks can actually FLY

It's been known since time began that the metal menaces could teleport themselves around the galaxy, but until now they've virtually always been trundling around on castors.
              Pah! Daleks have been doing stairs since Remembrance of the Daleks and they were hovering in the Peter Davidson years. And that's without taking trans-solar discs into account...

The new breed can also hover while chanting their famous catch-phrase "Exterminate, exterminate".

And just one zap from their probes frazzles victims to death, leaving just a skeleton.
              Probes? That's a forced energy weapon mate, and don't you forget it.

And don't look now Doc, but the Cybermen are coming back too....

Now we're talking. The Cybermen are my favourite scary Dr Who monster. There's a line that gets repeated every now and then: "Some people say they surgically removed their souls"; fantastic.

Mind you, the Daleks are really scary when they're done right. There's a series of CD plays called Dalek Empire - basically the Galaxy facing a Dalek invasion without the Doctor - where the Daleks are cold, efficient and clever. Smart Daleks are scarier than Daleks upstairs and I really, really hope it turns out to be Daleks (spoilers, because you can spoil Dr Who as well you know!)
              Spoiler:
              who destroyed Gallifrey. No-one else is up to it

I liked the opening episode a lot, but I was less taken with the second. Some utterly superb stuff in it, but it was all too quick. Dr Who needs to be a little slower to build up tension; I can only think that Russel T. is of the same mind, since there were at least two clear cliffhangers in there.

I've heard rumours that they'll be looking at bringing Paul McGann back, but that would be weird and confusing since then he'd be 8 and 10.
              Behold the majesty that is...GERALD!
              - Read The Prophet's fan fiction at The Lost Vegas Public Library.

Comment

Bringing McGann back would be mad unless they were doing to televise the batch of novels that the Beeb apparently did in the late 90s-early Noughties featuring his Doctor. It would be a prequel to the current series starting off just after the 90s TVM and may or may not work(guess where the TV writers got Galifrey's toasting from?).

A one-off multi-Doctors deal with McGann might work as a one off at some point as well.
                I SURF FOR THE FREEDOM!

Comment

Ratings update

Doctor Who continues to dominate Saturday nights.

The figures are in for The End of the World - and are looking good. Doctor Who had an average rating of 7.3m and a peak of 7.9m viewers, against 6m for Ant & Dec's Saturday Night Takeaway on ITV1.

"The viewing figures were down overall because of the great weather, but we were incredibly pleased that viewers were continuing to enjoy the series," BBC Publicity told us.

Doctor Who was the highest rated show of the evening, so it proved that the Time Lord was still the master of Saturday nights.

Comment

Originally posted by Matt G
                    Bringing McGann back would be mad unless they were doing to televise the batch of novels that the Beeb apparently did in the late 90s-early Noughties featuring his Doctor. It would be a prequel to the current series starting off just after the 90s TVM and may or may not work(guess where the TV writers got Galifrey's toasting from?).
                    Does nobody even consider the spoiler issues here? The US haven't seen these yet, you know.

But anyway, I don't recall the TV movie mentioning anything about toasting Gallifrey and the 8th Doctor went there several times, including the BBC Online remake of Shada (my God, I am such a geek! ).

The TV movie did have its own pointlessly radical departure in the form of the Doctor's putative half-human heritage, of course. I'd say that Time Lords don't do that and certainly not with aliens, but then who knows; maybe his dad was a Chancellery Guard and his mum was Queen Bodicea.

Comment

If any non-British forum members are in this thread and wanting not to be spoiled, let me know and I'll spoil-proof the thread. If I don't get any PMs I'll assume this thread is only being read by people who've seen the eps.

Madeleine
                      Last edited by Madeleine; 05 April 2005, 06:48 AM.

Madeleine

Comment

good ep, not as funny as the one before. i still haven't got over the whole killer-dummy thing lol!

sigpic
                        Gate City - My humorous Stargate site made when I was young, enjoy!
                        Previously known as False hope who was previously known as McKay's girl

Comment

Originally posted by Mr Prophet
                          Does nobody even consider the spoiler issues here? The US haven't seen these yet, you know.

But anyway, I don't recall the TV movie mentioning anything about toasting Gallifrey and the 8th Doctor went there several times, including the BBC Online remake of Shada (my God, I am such a geek! ).

The TV movie did have its own pointlessly radical departure in the form of the Doctor's putative half-human heritage, of course. I'd say that Time Lords don't do that and certainly not with aliens, but then who knows; maybe his dad was a Chancellery Guard and his mum was Queen Bodicea.
                          Didn't get round to catching the TV movie. What I was referring to was a series of books the Beeb commissioned after the TVM! http://www.gallifreyone.com/guides-books.php

Check out the intel on 'The Galifrey Chronicles'(last book in series, can't be set long before 'Rose'. Looks like I've done more sniffing around than a lot of old-schoolers.
                          I SURF FOR THE FREEDOM!

Comment

Originally posted by Matt G
                            Didn't get round to catching the TV movie. What I was referring to was a series of books the Beeb commissioned after the TVM! http://www.gallifreyone.com/guides-books.php

Check out the intel on 'The Galifrey Chronicles'(last book in series, can't be set long before 'Rose'. Looks like I've done more sniffing around than a lot of old-schoolers.
                            As a Big Finish fan I'm better acquainted with the Gallifrey series, where Romana is Lord President. I avoid the books, since...well, life's too short. There's so many of them. Also, while Dr Who Canon is pretty ropey at the best of times, with so many books - from at least two different publishers - the whole thing gets intensely topsy-turvy.

Comment

Point taken. I've just been going through the blurb's and synopses of the Eighth Doctor stuff on the assumption that Beeb commissioned novels outgun any other original literature canon wise. Haven't gotten as far as checking the synopsis of 'The Galifrey Chronicles' yet(don't have THAT much free time!) but my browsing so far suggests the Daleks aren't responsible. More likely a rival group of time travellers calling themselves Faction Paradox!
                              I SURF FOR THE FREEDOM!

Comment

Major Clanger, ma'am! Lt. R.J. Beaton, Team SG-999, reporting ma'am!

The campaign to revive UNIT begins here!
                                Under the command of Brigadier Winifred Bambera, UNIT is on the march!

So far, me and the rest of the nutters at SG-999 have decided that new UNIT should comprise the following members:

Major Richard Sharpe (Sean Bean).
                                Captain Dale Dye, USMC (Ret.)
                                RSM Patrick Augustine Harper (Daragh O'Malley).
                                BSM Williams (Windsor Davis).
                                Sgt. Eddie Stone, SAS.

We'll try and fins something for Marshal Teague and Ray Winstone to do as well.
                                sigpic
                                Long before you and I were born, others beat these benches with their empty cups,
                                To the night and its stars, to the here and now with who we are.

Another sunrise with my sad captains, with who I choose to lose my mind,
                                And if it's all we only pass this way but once, what a perfect waste of time.

Comment

Working...
                                X