Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Torchwood Episode Discussion (Spoilers for all eps aired in the UK)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Willow'sCat View Post
    Hmm, given the title of the ep,
    Spoiler:

I am more inclined to think Owen is not going to remain dead, plus this seems like a very well kept secret, and that has me even more convinced that Martha is not permanently replacing Owen.

Plus yeah I hate Martha so much! And I have an even bigger reason too now!

Adam: 5/10 *cough* Buffy episode ripoff *cough*
    Reset: 7/10
    I thought Adam was a rip off of the episode from TNG where an Alien made the Enterprise crew believe he was their XO and they were fighting a war against a technelogically inferior race

Spoiler:
    I'm sure Owen won't stay dead for long but I REALLY didn't see that coming, I'm beginning to like him now, nerdy Owen in Adam was brilliant

Comment

I thought both episodes were great.

"Adam" was really well written and acted. None of it bored/annoyed/enraged me. I felt really sorry for Owen, Ianto and Rhys in their various predicaments. It was great to get some more backstory on Jack, too. (And I'm looking forward to Captain John's return even more, now.)

I thought "Reset" was
      Spoiler:
      a fun episode, getting more serious in the back part. Martha fitted in quite well, IMO, and the scenes with her and Jack were nice. I'm guessing her boyfriend is that doctor from "LotTL". Uh, Dr Tom, not the other one. She did seem a bit to knowledgeable about all the fancy science stuff, though.
      It was quite a surprise when Owen got shot - didn't see it coming at all.
      Spoiler:
      But, yeah, he'll be back - I've seen pics in a magazine of him in a later episode.

Comment

"Adam" was a bit slow to start but it well and truly climaxed at the end, with some fantastic character pieces. The casting of Adam the character was a bit - they couldn't have picked a better looking guy? Or perhaps it seems there isn't such a plentiful supply of good looking guys in Wales.

Um.

Jack's backstory was superb, I loved the beach setting in the 51st century. I have no doubt we'll see his people's attackers sometime down the line.

Best bit was the group memory sparking scene in the boardroom. Second best scene was Gwen moments away from blowing a hole in Rhys' fat, yapping head.
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Reefgirl View Post
          I thought Adam was a rip off of the episode from TNG where an Alien made the Enterprise crew believe he was their XO and they were fighting a war against a technelogically inferior race

Spoiler:
          I'm sure Owen won't stay dead for long but I REALLY didn't see that coming, I'm beginning to like him now, nerdy Owen in Adam was brilliant
          i thought adam was a rip off of SG-1's The Fifth Man, but at least now we see where people real TV priorities lie

in fact, i thought that "reset" was more of a buffy rip off

and to the spoiler tags bit... i agree
          Spoiler:
          Disclaimer:
          I have been using this username since 1998, it has no connection to "The Last Airbender", or James Cameron's movie.
          Quotes!
          - "Things will not calm down, Daniel Jackson, they will in fact calm up!"
          - "I hope you like Guinness Sir, I find it a refreshing alternative to... food"
          - "I'm Beginning to regret staying up late to watch "Deuce Bigalow: European Gigalo" last night... Check that, i regretted it almost immediately"
          sigpic

Comment

Dunno why, but it kinda surprised me to get some actual background on the "real" Jack. LOVED it, but I guess I never thought we'd find out about stuff like that. Was it just me, or did those screams sound familiar? It's probably just me.

As for the plot of Adam itself...
            Spoiler:
            It felt very familiar, but I liked it anyway. Interesting touch making Gwen forget Rhys, but it also makes me wonder what the others forgot- or was it just the things Adam said about Owen's cynicism and Tosh's lack of confidence and whatnot? Those are kinda vague things, though, whereas Rhys is a pretty specific "memory" to forget.

Confident Tosh was wonderful, but Geek Owen was a bit weird. At least he wasn't as over-the-top as SOME alternate personalities I've seen *cough*Sam Carter*cough*. And watching Ianto cope with the imaginary monster inside him was great stuff, IMO. Gareth is great.

My one complaint is a bit obvious: that bit from Gwen about how she loves Rhys, but not in the same way she loves Jack. *headdesk* Ruined the whole moment. For a second I had actually fooled myself into believing that she really DID love Rhys... and ONLY Rhys. Stupid of me, I know.

And then we have Reset. Wow. Never would have predicted that ending.
            Spoiler:
            Again, the story wasn't 100% original, but it was still interesting and had a classical SF adventure feel to it. LOVED seeing Martha again and I thought she interacted well with the team.

Not sure I buy Owen being dead, though. Or at least not staying dead. I kept waiting for Jack to kiss him back to life as he'd done with pretty much everyone at some point during S1. I don't think it sank in until I remembered the earlier scene where he agreed to go on a date with Tosh and I realized that it was never going to happen. Yet, anyway. I'm kinda figuring that the next ep has something to do with chasing down some remnant/memory of Owen so they can put him back together again. Kudos to them if he stays dead, but I just don't buy it.

There IS another ep next week, right? They aren't skipping and giving us two now instead?

Comment

Originally posted by ShadowMaat View Post
              There IS another ep next week, right? They aren't skipping and giving us two now instead?
              Yep. Next episode is next week on BBC3 (Dead Man Walking, eh).
              Behold the majesty that is...GERALD!
              - Read The Prophet's fan fiction at The Lost Vegas Public Library.

Comment

Spoiler:
                My one complaint is a bit obvious: that bit from Gwen about how she loves Rhys, but not in the same way she loves Jack.
                I don't think she said that; I think she said that she sees Rhys looking at her as if he's afraid that she loves him but not like she loves Jack

Madeleine

Comment

If no one's mentioned this already - there's a rumour going round that Torchwood (I.E. the team, rather than the show) will be mentioned and/or referenced in the series two finale of Primeval in two weeks time...
                  sigpic
                  Long before you and I were born, others beat these benches with their empty cups,
                  To the night and its stars, to the here and now with who we are.

Another sunrise with my sad captains, with who I choose to lose my mind,
                  And if it's all we only pass this way but once, what a perfect waste of time.

Comment

Originally posted by Naonak View Post
                    Spoiler:
                    But, yeah, he'll be back - I've seen pics in a magazine of him in a later episode.
                    NOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I really hate how they kill off a terrible character like Owen and then replace him with another terrible character like Martha.

I guess I will go along with Martha for a little bit. But I honestly prefer both Martha and Owen to be killed off, since Martha is horrible in Doctor Who and Owen is terrible in Torchwood, IMHO.

I also hate Rip-offs. I thought RTD knew better than to rip off episodes of diffrent shows that have already did that story. Oh well, I guess I will give the next episode a try. Cant wait for...
                    Spoiler:
                    the creepy Captain John Harper to Re-Appear

This pic was made by the Hyper-Intelligent being known as.....Metarock Sam!

Spoiler:

This fabulous sig made by Myn McGeek, Third Sentinel

Comment

Originally posted by Reefgirl View Post

Spoiler:
                      Well I am not really a Trek fan so for me it was just Jonathan renamed Adam. In the Buffy ep it starts with Jonathan in the credits, Adam was in the credits... Johnathan was kinda sexy to the gals, Adam was raping messing about with Tosh... that whole non-con thing is huge in scifi ain't it?! Eventually the hero Jack (Buffy) is the one to realise something is up.

Although the Buffy ep was better. I think given how much Russell has mentioned Buffy I go with him and the other writers being more Buffy fans then Trek ones.

On Martha, she added nothing new to Reset that any other actor/character couldn't have. Sure Jack got to strut a bit more then usual, they got to tell us how great Martha was for saving the world *like I care* basically Martha was not needed for plot or chemistry with the other characters *since she has none* so why?
                      Spoiler:
                      Why bring her in and kill Owen?
                      Ratings? Really? Maybe Billie refused.

Comment

At the end of 'Reset' I had to laugh,

Spoiler:
                        When they killed Owen, my brother (who you must remember is only 13 and hasn't seen S1) Said something along these lines, "No! How can they kill him? He was the best one! No point watching now." Lol, I had to laugh at him. He seems to be over it now though. Never realised he liked Owen.
                        Tappity-tap. Tappity-tap.
                        LOVE HIM-> DT
                        ~Proud Member of the Ship Ship Hooray Special Ops Team~

Comment

Hmm, in the preview for the next ep... the one after Reset...
                          Spoiler:
                          they don't actually show the autopsy in the preview, I mean not even a small incision. Also they know what fraking killed him! A bullet! So why are they doing an autopsy? Seems all set up to make us really think Owen is dead, never returning. *blah* Just a red herring if you ask me. *nods*

Comment

I thought autopsies were standard procedure, even when you know the cause of death. But I've spent the past few weeks OD'ing on the first three seasons of NCIS, so I kinda expect bodies getting cut up.

Comment

I thought autopsies were standard procedure, even when you know the cause of death. But I've spent the past few weeks OD'ing on the first three seasons of NCIS, so I kinda expect bodies getting cut up.
                              I wasn't really speaking from a legal standpoint, but more from the this is Torchwood and that
                              Spoiler:
                              body is their friends, and they know why & how he died without having to cut into him.

Also why is it shown in the next ep at all? It seems like a little too much information. What is the point to that? They can still mourn him without needing to show us as viewers his dead body?

It seems suspicious to me, that is all. Plus I don't want him to be dead. Actually there is a rumour going around that...
                              Spoiler:
                              he turns into a Weevil! lol I don't think I am buying that, that does seem far too much to expect us to swallow. It would take us back to the bad eps of series one imho

Comment

Originally posted by Willow'sCat View Post
                                I wasn't really speaking from a legal standpoint, but more from the this is Torchwood and that
                                Spoiler:
                                body is their friends, and they know why & how he died without having to cut into him.

Also why is it shown in the next ep at all? It seems like a little too much information. What is the point to that? They can still mourn him without needing to show us as viewers his dead body?

It seems suspicious to me, that is all. Plus I don't want him to be dead. Actually there is a rumour going around that...
                                Spoiler:
                                he turns into a Weevil! lol I don't think I am buying that, that does seem far too much to expect us to swallow. It would take us back to the bad eps of series one imho
                                Ya know,
                                Spoiler:
                                There could be a more specific reason behind the autopsy. For example the may flies, they may have to check him that he isn't harbouring one even though it wouldn't survive. But still...
                                Tappity-tap. Tappity-tap.
                                LOVE HIM-> DT
                                ~Proud Member of the Ship Ship Hooray Special Ops Team~

Comment

Working...
                                X