Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Torchwood Episode Discussion (Spoilers for all eps aired in the UK)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Reefgirl
    Who says it's a plot device or the writers did it for the sheer hell of it, I know that's what we've come to expect of the Atlantis writers but it could be the fact that the actors have had other offers I know Burn Gorman has been busy on other projects so maybe he's had better offers and Naoko Mori has talked about working in American and Theater in Japan, so that could be your answer, I know it's always easy to blame the writers for ratings grabbing when someone dies but it could be something as down to Earth as the actor's wanting out
    Of course, there is that possibility. Does anyone have comments from Burn or Naoko about this episode? I'd love to hear the story from the horse's mouth. Also, aside from the obvious, do we have any clues as to who might be recruited to fill in the gaps on the Torchwood team? Mind you it won't really matter if the show goes family. That would be awful!
    sigpic

Comment

ITA with Madelaine. This is an adult series and if Torchwood is known for its high young mortality rate it would be a joke if no one would die and if there would be only constant soft re-sets. The deaths were painfull but unlike the death of Carson in SGA both Owen and Tosh died valiantly and their deaths really had an impact...something that never came for Carson. In many ways Torchwood has an element of "Spooks" and I don't mind that at all as long as Jack stays put as the leader. Whatever happens now, in my opinion that was a wonderful second series ending.
      He's like fire, ice and rage. He's like the night, and the storm in the heart of the sun.
      He's ancient and forever. He burns at the centre of time and he can see the turn of the universe.
      And he's wonderful.

Comment

Originally posted by Dusk View Post
        To be frank, I think killing off characters because it's hard to write for them anymore is a cowardly and shameful way to shake up the cast. If you were a good writer, you would inject a life and energy within stale characters to revive and rejuvenate them. But this, this is reprehensible!

Now I'm not even sure if I want to see more Torchwood, for me the show has become fractured and painful.
        i disagree.
        Spoiler:

Tosh and Owen have been fantastic this year and really grown. They have been killed in their prime, the writers HAVE injected them with life and energy this year. Torchwood is a dangerous job. They rarely make it to 35. They catch aliens for a living! People die. I'm glad the writers killed both of them off, can you image one without the other, Tosh crying over Owen for weeks, Owen feeling guilty for not taking the chance with her, no, i'm glad they went together. Their deaths were beautiful and brilliantly writen and fantastical acted. The show should be proud. When Tosh said 'you're breaking my heart', i felt my own heart break. It was the most moving scene i've seen on t.v. in years. I agree that Torchwood is like spooks. it's an adult show and people have to die. If no one ever died that you liked, their deaths wouldn't mean anything to you so there would be no point in killing them anyway and i would hate a show like that.

Even through i cried and am sad, i wouldn't have written that episode any other way.
        Last edited by Red Phoniex; 06 April 2008, 09:32 AM.

Sig made by Suekay.

Comment

Note to Torchwood production team re bullet wounds: Entry wound small. Exit wound large. Not the other way around...

Owen is shot in the chest by Aaron Copley at the end of "Reset", resulting (we see in the opening moments of "Dead Man Walking") in a large entry wound.

Toshiko is shot in the back by Gray during the course of "Exit Wounds" resulting in a teeny-tiny exit wound.
          sigpic
          Long before you and I were born, others beat these benches with their empty cups,
          To the night and its stars, to the here and now with who we are.

Another sunrise with my sad captains, with who I choose to lose my mind,
          And if it's all we only pass this way but once, what a perfect waste of time.

Comment

Originally posted by BruTak View Post
            Note to Torchwood production team re bullet wounds: Entry wound small. Exit wound large. Not the other way around...

Owen is shot in the chest by Aaron Copley at the end of "Reset", resulting (we see in the opening moments of "Dead Man Walking") in a large entry wound.

Toshiko is shot in the back by Gray during the course of "Exit Wounds" resulting in a teeny-tiny exit wound.

i thought she was`shot in the front?

Sig made by Suekay.

Comment

Originally posted by Red Phoniex View Post
              i thought she was`shot in the front?
              Hmmm... Maybe...

I was assuming she was shot in the back because she seemed unaware of her assailant.

I mean, someone pointing a gun at you isn't exactly inconspicuous, are they?
              sigpic
              Long before you and I were born, others beat these benches with their empty cups,

Comment

Hmmm... Maybe...

I was assuming she was shot in the back because she seemed unaware of her assailant.

I mean, someone pointing a gun at you isn't exactly inconspicuous, are they?
                she was shot in the front. gray came from the vaults and not from the medial bay. and tosh was occupied with her little scanner thingy and trying to figure out how to stop the meltdown. and besides that, she didn't know that there was an intruder in the hub, so even if she had seen movement, she would have expected that the others came back from locking the weevils up

Convention-Pics: baby-turtles. de
                Visit me at my LJ

Comment

Originally posted by phibi View Post
                  she was shot in the front. gray came from the vaults and not from the medial bay. and tosh was occupied with her little scanner thingy and trying to figure out how to stop the meltdown. and besides that, she didn't know that there was an intruder in the hub, so even if she had seen movement, she would have expected that the others came back from locking the weevils up
                  Ok, point taken.
                  sigpic

Comment

I could have sworn she was shot from behind, but I'll bow to the majority

Comment

Originally posted by Reefgirl View Post
                      I could have sworn she was shot from behind, but I'll bow to the majority
                      thats what I had assumed... but it makes more sense if she was shot from the front, given her bodies reaction (as I recall she hunched over and staggered backwards)
                      A word of advice... there are creatures that live between this dimension and the next, fiendish creatures that feast on the suffering of an entire world to satiate their eternal hunger. Support the Gateworld Cantina or suffer the fate of all who fall into the clutches of the 'Eladrith Ynneas'

Comment

Originally posted by Flying Officer Bennett View Post
                        Personally I commend the decision to kill off characters in this way. TV is about generating emotion and telling a good story... look at how it's effected us... this is perfect television.
                        Originally posted by Mr Prophet View Post
                        Every time someone demands 'Why kill off X?' I think the answer is always: 'That's why.' Why kill the characters you care about? Because you care.

Being in the US, I haven't seen the season two finale yet, thought I've read the spoilers. I have to say I disagree completely with killing off characters . . . period.

I don't give a crap about Torchwood itself; I care about Jack and Ianto and Gwen and Tosh and Owen. I tune in each week to see what totally unbelievable situation they'll get themselves into and how, at the very last second when it seems all hope is lost, they will figure out some unbelievable way to get themselves out of it. That's the fun of it. I don't want my emotions to be manipulated this way and that. I just want to be entertained . . . and I am not entertained by death. Sorry.

I just wish writers could figure out a way to keep their shows fresh without resorting to "casticide". JMHO.
                        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Forseti (a.k.a. Thor's lawyer) View Post
                          but I am sure it will later on. Oh, and the radio play, will that be only Jack, Gwen and Iantho?
                          Radio play?

Comment

Originally posted by nowvoyager908 View Post
                            Being in the US, I haven't seen the season two finale yet, thought I've read the spoilers. I have to say I disagree completely with killing off characters . . . period.

I don't give a crap about Torchwood itself; I care about Jack and Ianto and Gwen and Tosh and Owen. I tune in each week to see what totally unbelievable situation they'll get themselves into and how, at the very last second when it seems all hope is lost, they will figure out some unbelievable way to get themselves out of it. That's the fun of it. I don't want my emotions to be manipulated this way and that. I just want to be entertained . . . and I am not entertained by death. Sorry.

I just wish writers could figure out a way to keep their shows fresh without resorting to "casticide". JMHO.
                            Casticide? Interesting word...

Sure, if you want the same team doing the same thing for 8 years, then watch SG1. But I've ALWAYS had an issue with stargate in that there's NO jeopardy, the MOMENT someone dies, they come back. Why does everyone think that killing characters is about keeping a show fresh, or being cheap? It's about telling GOOD story. It's good theatre damn it, to not know what's coming. ANd as has already been mentioned, the deaths in Torchwood are really well written and they MEAN something.

"Five Rounds Rapid"

sigpic

Comment

Ok, correct me if I'm wrong here but - there was nothing in the pre-publicity for season one of Torchwood to even remotely suggest that Suzie Costello was going to be anything but a series regular.

I'm sure it came as a complete surprise to many people (myself included) when she turned out to be the villain.
                              sigpic

Comment

Ok, correct me if I'm wrong here but - there was nothing in the pre-publicity for season one of Torchwood to even remotely suggest that Suzie Costello was going to be anything but a series regular.

I'm sure it came as a complete surprise to many people (myself included) when she turned out to be the villain.
                                I thought that was the point. Then you'd be more surprised by the twist in the pilot. Joss Whedon wanted to do the same thing with Jessie for BtVS

Comment

Working...
                                X