Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Torchwood Episode Discussion (Spoilers for all eps aired in the UK)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

DW or maybe even Sarah Jane Adventures, yeah. But apparently I'm a bit weird, so maybe my opinion doesn't count.

Comment

Originally posted by ShadowMaat View Post
      DW or maybe even Sarah Jane Adventures, yeah. But apparently I'm a bit weird, so maybe my opinion doesn't count.
      Hmm, yeah. I can see the story working as a SJA ep.

Scary people coming ouy of the telly and so forth - that ought to get them brats out into the fresh air.
      Last edited by BruTak; 14 March 2008, 11:24 AM. Reason: Typo.
      sigpic
      Long before you and I were born, others beat these benches with their empty cups,
      To the night and its stars, to the here and now with who we are.

Another sunrise with my sad captains, with who I choose to lose my mind,
      And if it's all we only pass this way but once, what a perfect waste of time.

Comment

Originally posted by BruTak View Post

Scary people coming ouy of the telly and so forth - that ought to get them brats out into the fresh air.
        Then follow it with Blink and that should being them back indoors and have them cowering in the cupboard under the stairs

MWAHAHA

MWAHAHAHAHAHA

MWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Comment

Originally posted by Reefgirl View Post
          Then follow it with Blink and that should being them back indoors and have them cowering in the cupboard under the stairs

MWAHAHA

MWAHAHAHAHAHA

MWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
          Doctor Who - scaring small children into soiling themselves in abject terror since 1963.
          sigpic
          Long before you and I were born, others beat these benches with their empty cups,

Comment

Originally posted by BruTak View Post
            Yep one for the kiddies. There was no swearing or sexin'

Comment

I ought to have really enjoyed this one. A creepy historical fairground sounds like a good start; film coming to life ought to be deliciously scary; and the trailer seemed to promise something really atmospheric and eerie. It started off okay as well, and up until when everyone left the cinema I still had high hopes.

It just didn't work. The tension never increased. The baddies weren't interesting enough (why did they used to be baddies anyway? I get that now they want to live forever and trap an audience, but what were they doing stealing people's breaths in the olden days? What was the point then?) The peril didn't feel real for the characters we knew; and the ones we didn't know were too red-shirt. The two ghosts hanging out in a disused lido was weird, but not in a good way.

As a Sapphire & Steel sort of story, I preferred the one in the First World War hospital. This one was the weakest of the second series so far.

Madeleine

Comment

Ok, not watched the ep yet. Gonna download it off the iPlayer in the morning.

However, quick question - from the trailer and production photos I've seen, it appears that the cinema is the same location where the theatre sequences for "Daleks in Manhattan" and "Evolution of the Daleks" was shot. Is this the case?
                sigpic

Comment

Sounds plausible. Although I got the impression of the Cardiff cinema being smaller than the NY theatre.

Madeleine

Comment

They were bad 'cos they were bad. *shrug* For some I guess that's enough, but I had trouble understanding the point of the Scary Night People. If they were stealing breath then in order to live forever then they mustn't have done a very good job of it if they had to escape from film in order to regain life. Or did they mysteriously disappear after being "captured" on that film?

I dunno, I think having the actual Night People showing up and doing creepy things might have been more effective since it would imply that they really are ageless and that it was the point of the breath-stealing.

Or better yet focus on the kids. Scary Guy said they wanted to capture an audience, right? So how about capturing an audience full of children who remain as ageless as the Night People themselves, trapped forever staring blankly at the performers, their final breaths caught in a spooky silver flask. After all, children have the most life in them, so it'd behoove the Night People to focus their attention on them.

The disappearances could be why Jack was there way back (there could still be a poster of him or something, it'd be a shame to lose Carny Jack completely) and it could be the link that ties in the current team as they investigate a rash of missing children and find out that they go back as far as there are records, every X number of years (Costuming would have a field day dressing the kiddies in every period costume they can manage). Ianto could have been the One That Got Away, which would explain his freaked attitude (I thought he acted freaked, anyway) and could give us a hook as the Night People maybe try to lure him in again. Or maybe they got some childhood friend of his, instead, and he could be desperate to try and save the boy he once knew.

Comment

Originally posted by ShadowMaat View Post
                      I dunno, I think having the actual Night People showing up and doing creepy things might have been more effective since it would imply that they really are ageless and that it was the point of the breath-stealing.

Or better yet focus on the kids. Scary Guy said they wanted to capture an audience, right? So how about capturing an audience full of children who remain as ageless as the Night People themselves, trapped forever staring blankly at the performers, their final breaths caught in a spooky silver flask. After all, children have the most life in them, so it'd behoove the Night People to focus their attention on them.

The disappearances could be why Jack was there way back (there could still be a poster of him or something, it'd be a shame to lose Carny Jack completely) and it could be the link that ties in the current team as they investigate a rash of missing children and find out that they go back as far as there are records, every X number of years (Costuming would have a field day dressing the kiddies in every period costume they can manage). Ianto could have been the One That Got Away, which would explain his freaked attitude (I thought he acted freaked, anyway) and could give us a hook as the Night People maybe try to lure him in again. Or maybe they got some childhood friend of his, instead, and he could be desperate to try and save the boy he once knew.
                      Yeah, but that story would have taken several episodes to tell, and surely everyone would have forgotten what was going on by then.

I'm sure there was some mention that that was why Jack was working in the show in the first place, then it never went anywhere, like most of the other interesting ideas in the episode. My big problem with Out From the Rain was precisely that it felt like I was watching a part of something really good, but not all of it.
                      Behold the majesty that is...GERALD!
                      - Read The Prophet's fan fiction at The Lost Vegas Public Library.

Comment

Maybe if they had of kept it to being less about the baddies and more about the victims. I think sometimes not revealing everything in the first 20 mins is good, the guy with the top hat was creepy in the few seconds of flim but then when he was made flesh and blood he become for me just another whacked out human.

*shrugs*

All the mystery was gone and I just thought he was more like a pedophile with an equally weird partner. I guess that was it, they were weird but not scary.

And why is it always the boys who survive in this show!

Comment

The writer for "From Out of the Rain" was the same that scribed season one's "Small Worlds". That was a better script than this. But this episode still had some redeeming factors. Some fantastic locations and scene dressing, especially the side show, the derelict swimming pool, and the 'Electro'. The characters were well costumed too. So 10/10 for the production crew this time around!

Poor character writing as some of you have pointed out. And perhaps worst of all, as Willow'sCat mentioned:
                          Yep one for the kiddies. There was no swearing or sexin'
                          This is not a good sign people. What with those rumours spreading around at the moment about season 3, and the success of the edited screenings, the dirty, raw chic of Torchwood may soon be lost forever.

Next week looks a tad bland, although I want to know what Jack is covering up. I am most looking forward to the episode after next, which will be covering some things I've been wanting to know since the show began. Here's hoping it is good.
                          sigpic

Comment

I hate Time Warner; I hate Time Warner; I hate Time Warner.

They switched BBC America into a higher channel tier without telling their customers, and because I am moving (several states over) in a few months, I can't justify the higher price for one channel that has one program (besides Who reruns) that I watch.

Therefore, I'm just going to have wait for Season 2 to come out on DVD after I've moved.

I hate Time Warner; I hate Time Warner; I hate Time Warner.
                            "Trust me. I'm a psychopath." Jekyll

"And I thought the end of the world couldn't get any worse" Ianto-Torchwood

Comment

Yeah, Scamcast kicked BBCA into a higher bracket at some point, too. I wonder if my new place in Seattle will get it...

Comment

I liked Out of the Rain, unlike others I don't analyse the life out of a show I watch it for entertainment and that was entertaining

Comment

Working...
                                X