My Journey through Supernatural - episode by episode

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Crichiel View Post
    Ok, that's just weird. If you like a show enough to recommend it to others, wouldn't you have watched all the episodes yourself?

Though, I have a friend that came over for the Lost finale. The two of us were really into and planned the evening months in advance. I find out 2 hours before it starts that she never saw season 1, including the pilot episode!! And the pilot was HUGELY referenced in the finale! If she had just told me a day earlier, I could have lent it to her!
    Well supernatural would be a bit easy to get into I think given its episodic format.... ugh Lost... talk about a plane crash of a show like..
    I dunno what to put in here now..

Comment

S01E17 - Hell House

"What would Buffy do?"

A pretty good episode, broken up between scenes cut out of any B-rated Hollywood film where 20 and 30 something year old teens decide that instead of 'making out' they'll do the other dare and get themselves killed in the process. Stupid teens...

It was good, the baddie of the week was brilliant, that just the thoughts of a large group of people can bring something to life.. really liked that, and the humour between Sam and Dean and the other ghosthunters was excellent too.. though the pranks between the brothers were a bit tedious I thought...

Not much else to say really, nothing really outstanding about this episode cept those nerdy ghosthunters who I sure we'll see again, I saw theres a thread here about ghostfacers, Im going to hazard a wild guess that its those two guys...

Overall, a great idea, executed in a very average fashion..

6/10
      Last edited by Puddle-Jumper; 12 July 2010, 04:07 PM.

Comment

S01E18 - Something Wicked

"Better call the Coast Guard"

A step up from Hell House, quite a good episode...

Loved the villian, posing as a doctor and stealing the lifeforce of children, tad cliché but not enough to make an impact on the plot...

Loved the flashbacks to Sam and Deans childhood, tbh it kinda looks like Papa Winchester should have been brought up on charges of child endangerment, leaving his 2 very young children on their own for days at time telling them to shoot anyone that comes looking for them? tut tut... Still though it was great to get a bit more insight into why Dean is the way he is...

The episode had a great moment too with that old woman with the upside down crucifix... really funny poking fun at the standard image of a witch...

Overall, pretty enjoyable, well written, all around good episode

7/10

Comment

S01E19 - Provenance

"Sometimes you have to take one for the team."

Pretty okay episode.. it was great to finally have a strong female character in the show... seriously the one thing supernatural is missing, I know theres Meg, but she's all evil and stuff! Pity Sarah seems to be a one episode thing..

Villian was a bit meh, haunted painting, killing, thought it was dead, then it wasn't, though it was dead again, then it wasnt, then they finally get whats up, then its done.. Nothing too interesting there,

All in all the episode was pretty standard, stuck to the episodic supernatural formula, except for Sarah who was a great addition, even it was for just one episode.. at least theres been some acknowledgment of Sam's feelings on the whole dead girlfriend thing aside from vowing revenge..

Overall, only okay, nothing too special, but good all the same

6/10

Comment

S01E20 - Dead Mans Blood

"Oops I spilled the popcorn salt"

Finally some vampires! Given all the Twilight and True Blood hype of late, not to mention I was raised on Buffy, Ive been gagging for a bit of vampire action with the Winchesters

Nice to see Papa winchester back, and that theres other hunters out there too, thats helping to build up a bit more of mythology.. I liked how skeptical Dean was of Vampires hah, given what he does for a living.

I loved Supernaturals take on Vampires, they really could have went down the traditional route and had a basic vampires in the cementary at night episode but they didnt which was great... I loved the whole concept of a dead mans blood is poison to a vampire too... I dunno if thats a part of Vampire loire or something they made up but great all the same.

Sam and Papa winchester dealing a bit was needed too, the whole Daddy issues thing could only go on for so long, and great ending.... building up to an awesome season finale I bet

Overall, good episode.. but it was just missing that certain Je ne c'est pas..

7/10

Comment

S01E21 - Salvation

"We're gonna strip"

Really great episode, this post is going to be a short one cos I want to get to the next episode and watch it before bed time cos Im working in about 8 hours time

It's really building up to something for the season finale I can tell, and that glimpse of the yellow eyes of the demon was excellent..... I was a bit disappointed that Meg and her friend were able to catch John so easily, like people always go on about how amazing a hunter he is, yet every time we've seen him now the brothers have saved him.. or not in the case of this episode...

Overall, fantastic episode.. building up to a good season finale..

9/10

Comment

S01E22 - Devils Trap

"I really can't stand the monologuing."

Well lads and lasses if there was ever a twisty turny season finale cliff hanging extravaganza, that was it! (Not including Battlestar Galactica obviously...)

Excellent excellent episode, really fantastic, from start to finish didn't let up! There was hints of a bigger thing happening, Im guessing some sort of end of the world type situation, or hell on earth or something of the likes, yellow eyed demon is megs papa! That was great, and the special effects on the gun when it shoots someone were really awesome.. and the impala wrecked at the end! They better get that fixed.. like what a car!

Can't wait to start watching the second season... I dunno how you guys waiting months in between, I only gotta wait till tomorrow evening and Im not sure I can do it haha

Overall excellent episode, one of the best of the season, great finale

10/10

And.....

Season 1 Overall

Had its strong moments, and its weak moments.. there are plenty of filler episodes, and in general there was loads of times that I found myself just pushing through them purely because I had started this thread and because I told my friends that Id watch em, but that being said the good episodes made up for the bad ones easily and in general when looking back at season 1 as a whole, it was good.. but I can completely understand some people giving up on the show.

So taking everything into account for the first season (and this isn't just an average of the scores for each episode...) Id give the first season..

7/10

Comment

It must have been hell to wait for several months after this cliffie. Not even sure whether it was confirmed at that time that they would get a second season. Actually, I'm in awe that you can manage to hold off for 24 hours - I was watching the show online when I was where you are now, and I was having a nervous breakdown just waiting for the next episode to load...

I'm really enjoying following you on your journey, so keep up the good work. You'll be glad you stuck by it. The first season is always difficult, the show is trying to find its feet, the characters need to be fleshed out and have layers added. The funny thing with Spn is that you often start to really appreciate the earlier episodes only when you go back later. At least that was true for me. On the first watch you are caught up too much in the plot, but revisiting them knowing what you know then you start to realize little things that didn't mean anything at the time but were already foreshadowing what was to come. I'm always amazed at the attention to detail where continuity is concerned. It's another sign how much TPTB care about this show - almost as much as we dedicated fans.

sigpic
                  Check out my SGA and Fringe fanfics on fanfiction.net

Comment

Originally posted by Puddle-Jumper View Post
                    S01E20 - Dead Mans Blood

"Oops I spilled the popcorn salt"

Finally some vampires! Given all the Twilight and True Blood hype of late, not to mention I was raised on Buffy, Ive been gagging for a bit of vampire action with the Winchesters

Nice to see Papa winchester back, and that theres other hunters out there too, thats helping to build up a bit more of mythology.. I liked how skeptical Dean was of Vampires hah, given what he does for a living.

I loved Supernaturals take on Vampires, they really could have went down the traditional route and had a basic vampires in the cementary at night episode but they didnt which was great... I loved the whole concept of a dead mans blood is poison to a vampire too... I dunno if thats a part of Vampire loire or something they made up but great all the same.

Sam and Papa winchester dealing a bit was needed too, the whole Daddy issues thing could only go on for so long, and great ending.... building up to an awesome season finale I bet

Overall, good episode.. but it was just missing that certain Je ne c'est pas..

7/10
                    Dead Man's Blood is another of my favorite episodes and yes, it's mostly for the portrayal of vamps, which I found refreshing. I think the je ne you might be missing is that we've been exposed to vamps for so long that they don't really come off as being very supernatural, especially when vamps fit in with us so well. They're evil, but it's not on the same level as some of the other evil things that these two face.

I like the story arc that begins with this one, with the Colt, and also that it brings out other hunters, that gets cool
                    sigpic

SGU-RELATED FANART | IN YOUNG WE TRUST | FANDUMB

Comment

Originally posted by starg8fans View Post
                      I'm really enjoying following you on your journey, so keep up the good work. You'll be glad you stuck by it. The first season is always difficult, the show is trying to find its feet, the characters need to be fleshed out and have layers added. The funny thing with Spn is that you often start to really appreciate the earlier episodes only when you go back later. At least that was true for me. On the first watch you are caught up too much in the plot, but revisiting them knowing what you know then you start to realize little things that didn't mean anything at the time but were already foreshadowing what was to come. I'm always amazed at the attention to detail where continuity is concerned. It's another sign how much TPTB care about this show - almost as much as we dedicated fans.
                      Well Im glad someone is following it, cos the thread has had almost 600 views but very few replies aside from me lol

Comment

Oh, I'm gonna reply if I disagree with anything you say. It's just kinda boring to keep saying 'same here'. Also, I wasn't sure how much discussion you want on this thread.

sigpic

Comment

Same here. I've feel like I've been posting quite a bit in here, but it's mostly just to agree with you! And I also wasn't sure if you really wanted episode discussion. Personally, I would LOVE to have a thread where we go through one episode at a time and all discuss it over a few days. They had a thread in SG-1 where they did that (and we started one here with season 5, but not the first 4 seasons), and they were my favourite discussions.

But still, I am really enjoying following you here. I keep meaning to go through all the eps and rate them myself on a scale from 1-10, because I am curious to see how we line up. That's cause through season 1, we were pretty dang close!

Comment

We could ask the mods to put in sub-forums for every season, like the one we have for S5. And then we could go through and add one episode at a time.

sigpic

Comment

Not a bad idea. Im happy to discuss any episode that guys want though I still haven't started season 2 though, damn job!

Comment

S02E01 - In My Time Of Dying

"Go find some Hoodoo priest to lay some mojo on me."

Its good to be back! Sorry I didn't post for so long, I was working crazy hours for the past week so I didn't have a chance to watch it... but now I have! Excellent episode...

As twisty and turny as the season 1 finale... John giving up the colt like that.. and all this time I thought he was a horrible father haha. I loved getting to see a different side of the reapers, compared to what we saw in the faith healer episode, it was great to see them an natural thing as opposed to something with evil intentions.

and John trading his life for Deans!! Im thinking there something more to it and that Ill see him again... and what did he whisper to Dean!? I Love the new opening credits too. I love how the shows mythology is getting richer and richer as the show progresses, and I can't wait to see the rest of this season

Overall, great episode, excellent season opener

9/10

Comment

Working...
                                X