Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Supernatural : General Discussion/Appreciation (Spoiler Tags req for S15)

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Once again, thanks for letting me know when they flipped the switch on Supernatural. You were right, the last couple episodes in 2 really started it. I will say that my interest started to grow early in the 2cd and now, firmly entrenched in the 3rd, I'm hooked. Glad I don't have any big plans for the next week or so!

I used to really get a kick out of the interns on Bones. Now that they have been doing, intern by committee, not so much. The first intern, his name escapes me now, his whole storyline was excellent and really was the bow on the package that made Bones great. Now, mid-way through the 9th, they are going to have to do something drastic to revitalize the show. I guess I'm really tired of the weekly corpse and I think most viewers are feeling the same way. I'll be curious in how they move forward from here or if they just decide to pack it in while they are still relatively on top.

Comment

Hehe, you're welcome. The last two eps of season 2 are intense and also show that you don't need a damn cliffhanger at all. Sure there is one concerning Dean but that's not a cliffhanger like in other seasons (and series) .

In Bones I'm not so tired of the corpse-of-the-week. I find the characters awesome, especially Booth. And the humor is funny, too. But I see your point. Like I said I don't like the whole CSI stuff where it really is totally the same all the time.
      The very young do not always do as they are told.

sigpic

Comment

M@ster R, Yep, Series 5 was a good one, although I rather got a kick out of soul-less Sam in 6. Honestly, this is a pretty well constructed show. IMO, the great ones, like the Stargates, always find ways to use humor in interesting and beneficial ways. Supernatural is in that group. My favorite characters have proven to be the supporting cast, mostly cause they make me laugh. I'm over halfway through 6 now and although I've had to give it a rest at times, I'm still at it and intend to be current before new episodes start in January. I'd like to save a few for the trip back across the pond next week but at the rate I'm going, not sure that will happen. Cheers!

Comment

Hehe, you're fast .

What you should know btw: The original showmaster was Eric Kripke. He retired from that position after season 5. So you can see the end of season 5 probably like "his" ending. I think the awesome narrator part in the last ep was his way of saying goodbye (so I think Chuck was god and Kripke's goodbye in one).
          Kripke continued to work for the show after season 5, but rather in the background.
          Sera Gamble became the new showmaster from season 6 on. That's why the style of the show shifted a bit like you maybe have noticed. Imho the start of season 6 was bad with the grandpa and stuff (although he and the cousin were from Stargate but I didn't like them in SN). But after a while, season 6 got better. I also liked season 7 but more because of the monster-of-the-week-eps cause I didn't like the way they made the
          Spoiler:
          Leviathans
          After season 7, Sera Gamble retired, too. Then Jeremy Carver became Showrunner. You notice a change of style from season 8 on, as well, because of that. Here I also thought that he didn't start that well but became better and now I really like it. Many awesome eps in season 8 and 9 and also good ideas about the story with the
          Spoiler:
          tablets and all. Also good because they don't need THE big enemy like Lucifer or the Leviathans with the current story.

EDIT: Oh, I put things in spoilers you don't know, yet. It's not necessary for this thread but since I was talking to you, I don't want to spoiler you .

sigpic

Comment

Thanks for the background info. Your right, I can definitely see a change in styles. I'm currently about 5 episodes into Series 7 and have had to take a break! I've found myself developing an uncontrollable urge to reach into the the TV screen in order to either claw Sam or Deans eyes out. I'm sure in a week or so I'll be able to pick it up again, but those two were about to grate my last nerve. I think that's the danger of getting too much of a good thing in a very concentrated dosage.

Having been brought up on UK TV, I still struggle with never-ending shows. The end of 5 still seems like it would have been a perfect end to the show, but they've still managed to keep the quality up so I guess it's a good thing that it still goes on.

I do think they've been writing with syndication in mind. Serialized shows don't do very well in syndication so their doing a pretty good job of straddling that line. I'll let you know after I have a chance to get through 7 and into 8. Part of me is anxious to see where it's all at today, but I still have a bit of ground to cover before i get there.

Thanks again for your insight, its been very helpful!

Comment

You're welcome .

The end of 5 still seems like it would have been a perfect end to the show, but they've still managed to keep the quality up so I guess it's a good thing that it still goes on.
              Hehe, I see it exactly the same way . The end of season 5 would have been tragic but perfect in a way (without the last scene where you see Sam, of course). But I'm glad they continued because otherwise we would have missed many very good episodes.
              I have no problem with long series. They can still stop when it gets bad. Like in SG1. I personally don't like seasons 9 and 10, there. Maybe they should have gotten themselves a few new writers with fresh ideas instead of doing everything on their own. But better this way than having only six SG1 seasons and so missing the good seasons 7 and 8 aside from the bad seasons 9 and 10.

sigpic

Comment

7.5 hours in a plane now equates to 6 more episodes of Supernatural under my belt. I might have gotten through 7, but I completely drained the batteries in 2 devices. I don't think I'll make my goal of being current prior to the show returning from its winter break. Mostly cause I won't have the time, but also I'm a bit burned out with the boys.

I've been straddling the fence on whether or not I should look here or someplace else to find out if Cass returns to Earth or if he's dead or stuck in Purgatory. Throughout this whole viewing saga, he's my favorite personality from the show. Make that Cass and Bobby. No, by rites I guess it should be, Cass, Bobby, and Crowley. I know Crowley is still a player, but I'm wondering if Bobby is completely out of the picture along with Cass. I was thinking about just asking you, M@ster R, but I haven't decided if I want to be spoiled or not. It's been semi-difficult to go through the past 8+ years and stay away from all conversations, chatter, and innuendo pertaining to Supernatural, so I could watch it fresh.

But, I'm about at the point where I'm going to need some incentive to keep going. Cass or Bobby returning would do the trick, I guess. What do you think?

Comment

stick with it. season 7 I think, the one Sera Gamble was in charge kinda sucks, but stick with it. It is a great series overall and season 9 is amazing. It is worth the ride I promise

I can spoil things for you if you want......
                  sigpic

Comment

Thanks!

I'm really enjoying it, although when I binge watch a show of this magnitude, I tend to get a bit cranky and picky. Guess I'll just trudge onward. I've gone this far so might as well keep going. Knowing that someone else is in agreement that 7 doesn't quite measure up actually helps a bit. I think I'm around 715, 16 or so. The last couple were almost a chore to stick with for me. But, I'm afraid that I'm going to miss some crucial dialogue someplace so that prevents me from hitting the FF button! Anyway, onward I shall go...

Comment

Slogging through a marathon session of shows always hurts not matter how good the show is. Yes, season 7 sucked overall [thanks Sera] but there are a few good episodes in there and if you are at eppy 16, you are almost done and season 8 is like a breath of fresh air. and it just gets better from there.

Carry on, and have some pie
                      sigpic

Comment

Yeah, the Leviathan story sucks in season 7. The idea was not bad but the way they made the Leviathans was not that good. I rather like the monster-of-the-week eps, there. But also a few with the Leviathans like the one with the girl with the red hair (forgot the name right now).
                        Of course like copterdoc, I would also say that you should stay with the show . There are a few things at the start of season 8 that I did not like at all (the stuff about Sam) but nevertheless there are good eps from the start on and later it gets really good. Season 9 is also awesome.
                        Oh, but you might want to skip ep 4 of season 8 ("Bitten"). That's the worst ep of the whole show, imho. Even worse than the Blair Witch ep with the Ghostfacers (I couldn't believe they made the same mistake again). But like I said, apart from that, it's still an awesome show .

sigpic

Comment

Oh now see, I completely disagree. "Bitten" is not my favorite, but I love how they filmed it and made it 'different'. After 8 seasons, it does get a little tired doing the same thing over and over and so changing it up was great. Besides, it was only one episode. I would never skip an episode. I may never watch it again, but I never ever skip an episode.

And just for the record, I love love love the Ghostfacers I love spoofs and tongue in cheek stuff, but that is just me.
                          sigpic

Comment

Oh, how could you ?

Well, it's a matter of taste, of course. But I know that many people dislike such eps as one can see in feedback at Supernatural related pages and stuff.
                            But I also don't skip eps. It was tempting at the Ghostfacers ep or Bitten but I don't want to miss potential important facts and want to see every ep at least once. Didn't mean that he should really skip the ep but that I think it's a very very bad one .
                            Oh, btw I didn't hate all Ghostfacers ep. I don't like the Ghostfacers but the one where you see them the first time was ok, for example. I just hate the one with the Blair Witch style.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by M@ster R View Post
                              Oh, how could you ?
                              Well, there was Dean....and really that is all I care about I'm shallow and I admit it!
                              sigpic

Comment

Guess what? Next up on the docket is 804! I rather agree that after so many episodes a change of pace is kind of nice. Dean in Purgatory is pretty interesting as is Sam living a normal life. I'm sure by the time I'm through they will leave no stone unturned.

I'm undecided as to whether I'd like to see a shift of character with either Sam or Dean or both. Honestly, they both are wearing a bit thin on me now. I feel as if I could write their dialogue now. I'm wondering if the writers are about due to shake things up a bit with the dynamic duo? The thing about a serialized show is after you fight the battle for the Earth a few times, where do you go from there? Take the fight off the planet? I guess the purgatory thread is being explored and there's still heaven and hell that's mostly just been talked about and neither have been explored much on screen.

So, I'll be anxious to see where 8 goes with Kevin and the tablets. I'll keep you posted, especially when I need a nudge...

Comment

Working...
                                X