Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Supernatural : General Discussion/Appreciation (Spoiler Tags req for S15)

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well your correct, in a way. A quota is a percentage of a number or goal to be achieved. A, quote, is a repeat of a group of words normally attributed to an individual. Like, Sam said, "Dean, your an idiot" Notice the quotation marks. So, if you had said this spinoff shouldn't affect SPN's quota, you would have been pretty much correct. Although, ratings would be better as it's the preferred term.

I could go on and on, but I would have never guessed that English is your 2cd? language. No worries, I understand your intent. Do you watch SPN in English? I see that it is available in other languages, but it generally takes some time from what I understand. Anyway, enjoy your Saturday!

Comment

Thanks .
      I know the "quote" for the thing with the quotation marks, for course. In German boards we usually also have English terms like "quote", "thread" and stuff .
      Yes, I watch Supernatural in English. Same goes for other series and movies. At least as far as I'm watching alone since most of my friends don't like watching in English. We have rather good dubbing studios and dubbing actors in Germany, especially when it comes to AAA titles. Sometimes things can even sound cooler in a way in Germany dub. 300 or Sin City, for example, because German can be a much harder language than English . Or Bruce Willis sounds way tougher with "his" German voice . But normally the original is better, of course. That's why I enjoy watching in English (as long as English is the original language).
      The very young do not always do as they are told.

sigpic

Comment

Despite growing up with it and spending the first 2 years of my schooling being taught it, I still can't hardly speak a word of Gaeilge. What's more impressive to me is your ability to write. Cheers! To be bi-lingual is a valuable asset and it appears as if you already qualify.

I'm guessing the slang used throughout SPN must have been difficult for a while. Really, I would think genre shows in particular with the amount of terms that aren't normally used in everyday conversation would be trying. Well done!

Comment

Hehe, thanks again . Supernatural was not that tough, though. Sure, sometimes they are referring to something I don't know but that could happen in my mother's tongue as well. All in all they speak clearly and especially since season 3 or so the sound quality is rather good.
          More challenging are things like Monty Python. I understand them but it takes a couple of minutes to get into it when watching a movie. The sound quality is often not that good, they speak with extreme dialect (which also makes it so funny and therefore not that good with German dubbing) and they often mumble, haha .
          At school I've learned Spanish and Latin, too, but haven't used them much since then, unfortunately. But then I studied Japanese Studies and Japanese is one tough language to master . I can write it but speaking still is tough.

Btw: If you are interesting in countries, cultures, languages etc. I recommend this tread :

http://forum.gateworld.net/threads/8...tries+cultures

sigpic

Comment

Interesting thread. I wish I had noticed it when it originated. I've only read the first 5 pages, but I wish I could have jumped in there a few times already. I'll continue to read, thanks....

I read a bit more about the spin-off. The producers are being very careful about what they say, which from what I'm seeing is basically nothing. I'm curious as to how it's going to tie in. They did say that any crossovers would happen down the road once the show has had a chance to establish itself. They specifically mentioned the Originals waiting till the 6th episode before a VD character made an appearance. All this does is make me curious about episode 20.

I'm not sure I've actually seen a series order for this one, but all indications are that its going forward.

But personally, I'm enjoying a free day as weather on the US east coast apparently is pretty bad or bad enough to cancel flights here. Oh how I love bad weather...

Comment

Thanks, I'm also curious about ep 20 .

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by M@ster R View Post
                Thanks, I'm also curious about ep 20 .
                Well, here's a bit more info regarding characters in the spin-off. Might be of interest...

Here are the character descriptions for the spinoff:

ENNIS ROTH | The de-facto star of the potential series, Ennis is "likeable, strong-willed, resolute, with a strong sense of justice." He's the son of a cop who grew up in poverty. He's en route to the police academy himself when someone he is close to is murdered — presumably by some kind of monster. He meets up with Sam and Dean and "learns the staggering truth" that Chicago is run by five families of monsters (including, but perhaps not limited to, werewolves and shape shifters). And with that, a new monster-hunter is born. Fun fact: Producers are looking to fill this role with an African-American actor in his early 20s.

DAVID HAYDEN | A shape-shifter from one of Chicago's ruling monster families. He's been living as a human for some time, but a tragedy propels him back into the life. David is in his early 20s.

MARGO HAYDEN | David's "professional, strong-willed, determined, ambitious" shape-shifter sister. She's an "ex-punk rocker gone corporate" who sets out to be the new head of the family in the wake of a tragedy. Margo is in her early 20s.

VIOLET DURANT | A werewolf and part of the wealthy, powerful Durant family. In a twist right out of West Side Story, the early-twentysomething is hot for family rival David (see above), but their love is forbidden.

JULIAN DURANT | Violet's "savagely handsome, strong, arrogant" twentysomething brother and Ennis' arch nemesis.

FREDDIE COSTA | A world-weary copy in his 30s, Freddie has a soft spot in his heart for Ennis (he knew his dad back in the day). Fun fact: Eddie's got a secret.

[TV Line via SpoilerTV]

A few sentences in there lead me to believe that this hasn't been completely cast yet. I would have thought the casting would have been over and done with by now?

Comment

Thanks . Interesting. Doesn't sound THAT good, though. Might become a teen flick. But we'll see, character descriptions alone don't have to say that much.

sigpic

Comment

Although I think this has been the strongest season Kripke left, Dean's arc has been bugging me. Since Sacrifice really. Part of his development in Season 5 was a willingness to let go of Sam to an extent, and to let him make his own decisions, even if that meant sacrificing himself. Now we're back to this, where Dean talked Sam out of closing the gates of Hell because it would mean his life.

It could be an intentional contrast, and this is going somewhere (I'd like to have faith in Carver and the other writers that it is), but it hasn't felt like that so far, just a retread.

Comment

True in a way. But I don't like Sam's arc since season 6 so much. Ok, he is right that Dean shouldn't necessarily have talked him out of the closing the gates thing but that he blames Dean for saving his life with Gadreel? I could get it if he was angry because Dean put Gadreel into him but that doesn't seem to bother him that much. He is rather angry because Dean didn't let him die and that's bull****. Just like him who says he had let Dean die. Which is the same behavior like when Dean was in purgatory and Sam simply didn't do anything. I somewhere read something saying "Not sure if Sam has lost his soul again or if he is just a dick" and I agreed 100%.
                      Or that Sam was angry about Benny while he himself is normally the one who wants to let the monsters go or even has relationships with them.
                      So what I'm saying is that I get Dean more than Sam .

sigpic

Comment

OK, I've always felt that the writers of SPN have a pretty good sense of humor. It doesn't shine through all the time, but it's used sparingly in just the right spots. Then this morning I saw a promo for the rest of the season, Snooki?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jTV1fk_vh20

Comment

Yes, I also have seen the trailer. Didn't Sam once mention Snooki in one of the first seasons of Supernatural? But apart from that and a South Park episode I don't know her since she is not that present in the media, over here . Could get funny, though .
                          But I'm not so amused about seeing the Ghostfacers. I thought we finally got rid of them. Well, maybe they are not that annoying in this ep. There are even funny circumstances for them being there.

sigpic

Comment

Season 10 is coming : http://tvline.com/2014/02/13/the-cw-...renewed-early/

sigpic

Comment

^ beat me to it
                              Last Movie Watched
                              X-men - First Class

Last Video Game Played
                              Life is Strange

Comment

Season 10... all Right, more Winchester is on the way, i like how things are developing
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X