Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Star Trek: Discovery (Speculation/Discussion/Spoilers)

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Falcon Horus View Post
    YOU. VOTED. A. REALITY-SHOW. HOST. INTO. OFFICE!

Hypocrit!
    I voted a Business man into office. I couldn't care less about his reality show the Apprentice..

Originally posted by DigiFluid View Post
    Star Trek--the franchise that started out featuring a black woman, an Asian man, and a Russian in bridge positions of authority in the 1960s, featured American TV's first interracial kiss, features a moneyless egalitarian society as the pinnacle of human society--has just now become political and critical of regressivism?!

*faints*
    I could deal with all that... The show itself did portray more of a utopian society.
    ITS MORE What that douchebag of an actor did and said that turns me off of discovery.

Originally posted by Annoyed View Post
    Originally posted by Gen. Chris View Post
    I mean...I hate both the right and the left. But if you can't handle actors who hate Trump and the "administration" he "runs"...what are you going to watch?
    He's quite right. With few exceptions, all of Hollywood and the music industry are very far left. If you don't ignore their political views, you might as well sell your TV's, DVD/BD/CD players, as well stop listening to music radio. Been this way for a long time.
    And several OF those actors/singers who have bad mouthed trump (Madonna, Springstein, and a few others) i have already DELETED their music from my collection, removed the DVD's from my collection and given them away, or have blacklisted their upcoming movies..

Comment

Star Trek--the franchise that started out featuring a black woman, an Asian man, and a Russian in bridge positions of authority in the 1960s, featured American TV's first interracial kiss, features a moneyless egalitarian society as the pinnacle of human society--has just now become political and critical of regressivism?!

*faints*
      Yeah, I keep seeing comments like this and it just befuddles me. Star Trek was always about making political statements. I especially loved Burnham saying "don't confuse race with culture."

I had some issues with Discovery - largely the influence of the Kelvin-verse PTB and the fact that asthetically it looks like the Kelvin-verse too.

But I'm curious to see this through. I love Saru and I like the direction they're going with different main character.
      Last edited by Elite Anubis Guard; 28 September 2017, 12:33 PM.
      sigpic
      Stargate Destiny - Coming Again Soon

Comment

Originally posted by garhkal View Post
        I voted a Business man into office. I couldn't care less about his reality show the Apprentice..

I could deal with all that... The show itself did portray more of a utopian society.
        ITS MORE What that douchebag of an actor did and said that turns me off of discovery.

And several OF those actors/singers who have bad mouthed trump (Madonna, Springstein, and a few others) i have already DELETED their music from my collection, removed the DVD's from my collection and given them away, or have blacklisted their upcoming movies..
        A failed businessman. We does everyone forget the failing part
        Originally posted by aretood2
        Jelgate is right

Comment

You might as well eliminate your whole collection. There are very few people in Hollywood and the overall entertainment industry who are fans of the Cheeto-in-Chief.

If you can't handle people not liking a very questionably moral, ethical, and competent president who thinks twitter is a handy tool in foreign policy, then I'm not sure how you are surviving real life.

-----------------------------

Regardless, I liked the first two episodes of Discovery. Felt like a good blend of the JJ-verse movies and the TV shows. Hopefully it continues to do well.
          sigpic

Comment

Weren't the Andorians hostile to the Federation in this time period? TOS had an episode or two with Andorian chicanery involved.
            Yes, but that's what i said, cause andorians are verry interesting but they dont appear to much in the series.

Comment

Originally posted by Gen. Chris View Post
              You might as well eliminate your whole collection. There are very few people in Hollywood and the overall entertainment industry who are fans of the Cheeto-in-Chief. .
              There are many who are not enarmored by the president, but have not flat out come out and called for his assassination or badmouthed his supporters.. THOSE I can still stomach. ITS THE ONES who HAVE been badmouthing us supporters that i am black listing..

Comment

Weren't the Andorians hostile to the Federation in this time period? TOS had an episode or two with Andorian chicanery involved.
                actually I think the Andorians were staunch allies of the Federation, esp. Earth after helping them form at least a tentative truce with the Vulcans with whom relations were rocky for the Andorians...though I suppose every alliance has its detractors...it happened in the 6th ST movie as well.....there were both human and Klingon factions opposed to forming a peace between the Federation and the Klingon Empire

Comment

He's quite right. With few exceptions, all of Hollywood and the music industry are very far left. If you don't ignore their political views, you might as well sell your TV's, DVD/BD/CD players, as well stop listening to music radio. Been this way for a long time.
                  Why should you have to ignore them to begin with? Their views have little to do with the work...outside of the directors/writers that is. And no matter how "progressive" they are, it is hard not to to notice the hidden racism of Hollywood...or rather the unnoticed racism. For example, yes Star Trek was very "progressive" unless you said the word "God".

Edit: Tell me again, how many Hispanics were on Star Trek Enterprise? Considering there's a larger share of Hispanics in the US than black people...

There are many who are not enarmored by the president, but have not flat out come out and called for his assassination or badmouthed his supporters.. THOSE I can still stomach. ITS THE ONES who HAVE been badmouthing us supporters that i am black listing..
                  How dare they not like the messiah!!!!

Originally posted by mad_gater View Post
                  actually I think the Andorians were staunch allies of the Federation, esp. Earth after helping them form at least a tentative truce with the Vulcans with whom relations were rocky for the Andorians...though I suppose every alliance has its detractors...it happened in the 6th ST movie as well.....there were both human and Klingon factions opposed to forming a peace between the Federation and the Klingon Empire
                  Speaking of racism...why call humans pinkskins?
                  By Nolamom
                  sigpic

Comment

The four founding worlds of the Federation were Earth, Vulcan, Andor, and Tellar. Thelev, the "Andorian" in 'Journey to Babel', was an Orion Syndicate infiltrator agent there to spark conflict between the Federation allies.
                    "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

The four founding worlds of the Federation were Earth, Vulcan, Andor, and Tellar. Thelev, the "Andorian" in 'Journey to Babel', was an Orion Syndicate infiltrator agent there to spark conflict between the Federation allies.
                      It's been awhile since I've watched it. I wish they would have gone with the subversive Romulan plot a lot earlier than they did.
                      By Nolamom
                      sigpic

Comment

And possibly Alpha Centauri, depending on your source material.
                        sigpic
                        ALL THANKS TO THE WONDERFUL CREATOR OF THIS SIG GO TO R.I.G.
                        A lie is just a truth that hasn't gone through conversion therapy yet
                        The truth isn't the truth

Comment

Originally posted by aretood2 View Post
                          Why should you have to ignore them to begin with? Their views have little to do with the work...outside of the directors/writers that is.
                          By "ignore them" I mean I don't refuse to enjoy their work because their political views differ from mine. Just because they're off the rails in real life doesn't mean I can't enjoy the fantasy worlds they create.

Comment

By "ignore them" I mean I don't refuse to enjoy their work because their political views differ from mine. Just because they're off the rails in real life doesn't mean I can't enjoy the fantasy worlds they create.
                            In that we agree. For example, Discovery is reviving the "No God" rule based on Roddenberry's Religiophobia (wow...that's a real word!). I could be all like "Grrrr Tood is angry", but my reaction is more like "That's a shame and I don't think it's necessary and messes with some minor canon issues from some of the previous series, but Oh well". I don't agree with it, I don't like it, but it's just a TV show and as long as it is good, I'll watch it. That is unless every episode pushes the religiophobia angle.
                            By Nolamom
                            sigpic

Comment

Why should you have to ignore them to begin with? Their views have little to do with the work...outside of the directors/writers that is. And no matter how "progressive" they are, it is hard not to to notice the hidden racism of Hollywood...or rather the unnoticed racism. For example, yes Star Trek was very "progressive" unless you said the word "God".

Edit: Tell me again, how many Hispanics were on Star Trek Enterprise? Considering there's a larger share of Hispanics in the US than black people...

How dare they not like the messiah!!!!

Speaking of racism...why call humans pinkskins?
                              it was always interesting to see how Shran at first used the term with hostility and then used it more as a term of endearment towards his new human friend as he started getting the idea that maybe humans aren't all that bad

Comment

[COLOR=#000080]Why should you have to ignore them to begin with? Their views have little to do with the work...outside of the directors/writers that is. And no matter how "progressive" they are, it is hard not to to notice the hidden racism of Hollywood...or rather the unnoticed racism. For example, yes Star Trek was very "progressive" unless you said the word "God".
                                IMO you can't separate the two.. That's why several prominent singers (MADONNA!) are now on my **** list, and i have completely removed their music from my computers and even shattered the disks i had..

Comment

Working...
                                X