Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Star Trek: Discovery (Speculation/Discussion/Spoilers)

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Klingon red shirts!
    Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

Comment

Originally posted by knowles2 View Post
      Any one else think just perhaps the smoothheads were used as cannon fodder by the Klingon empire!
      Who knowles?
      By Nolamom
      sigpic

Comment

Our first look at the Klingons,

Klingons.jpg

All I will say is, what the hell have done to the Klingons! Somethings don't need be constantly redesign and altered.

http://www.tvovermind.com/tv-news/st...-look-klingons

Comment

I...don't care. Klingons had flat heads for 13 years, it's now been 38 years since they were first depicted with ridges. Stylistic changes happen, it's just the reality of a franchise that's been around for 50+ years.
          "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

Those are Klingons? They look very, um...reptilian? I really don't like it right now (I mean they look pretty cool, and it would be cool, if they were some new species or something and not Klingons). It'll definitely take some getting used to, I really don't think they needed to change the way the Klingons looked again.
            sigpic

Comment

Bear in mind also that we don't know anything about the story right now. It could be a simple stylistic change, it could be a story point that they look different.
              "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

Originally posted by DigiFluid View Post
                Bear in mind also that we don't know anything about the story right now. It could be a simple stylistic change, it could be a story point that they look different.
                That's what I'm hoping.
                sigpic

Comment

I...don't care. Klingons had flat heads for 13 years, it's now been 38 years since they were first depicted with ridges. Stylistic changes happen, it's just the reality of a franchise that's been around for 50+ years.
                  You are without honor!
                  Isn't it supposed to be in the original timeline? Maybe this is just an unseen manifestation of the virus? Or a subset of Klingons? It would be a bit much to insert this in. If Micheal Dorn were to make a time travel guest appearance. Would they keep his look or change it?
                  By Nolamom
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by aretood2 View Post
                    Isn't it supposed to be in the original timeline? Maybe this is just an unseen manifestation of the virus? Or a subset of Klingons?
                    Yeah. Thing is, we just don't know at this point.

Originally posted by aretood2 View Post
                    It would be a bit much to insert this in.
                    I don't see why. It wouldn't even be the first time they've done a Klingon redesign. And they're not alone either...
                    • When the Trill were introduced in TNG, they looked like this and the symbionts like this, vs their redesigned appearances just two years later in DS9
                    • The Borg started out as pale guys with wires in TNG Season 2, but by the time of First Contact and Voyager they'd been 'updated' to depict necrotic-looking skin and implants burst through flesh. Heck, Picard's Borgified appearance was retconned from its original look in Best of Both Worlds to match the later makeup/VFX designs when Locutus was shown again in First Contact--including not only face prosthetics, but even the bodysuit (making this a mid-episode retcon, no less)
                    • While not strictly a redesign, from TOS through the chronological last stories of the Prime timeline, Andorians had a fixed look starting in TOS--and then Enterprise introduced the Aenar as a subspecies
                    • Enterprise also upgraded and revised the Gorn from their original appearance of a muscular green bipedal lizard in TOS (and echoed in TAS), into something rather more dinosaur-like
                    • Romulans started out looking like Vulcans in TOS, were modified to include prominent forehead ridges in TNG, and more recently in the 2009 film the ridging was scaled back to being just a prominent brow (to say nothing of the tattooing that had never been shown before)

I'm sure there are more, but I'm tired of prowling Memory Alpha for decent pictures
                    Last edited by DigiFluid; 12 February 2017, 01:40 PM.

Comment

I hope the reason for the look of those Klingons in Star Trek: Discovery is that they feature in scenes set in the late 23rd century, the 24th century or a further future than that. They certainly don't fit in to the 2250's when this show is allegedly supposed to take place...

THE TARDIS DATA CORE - Encyclopaedia and reference site covering DOCTOR WHO, K-9 AND COMPANY, TORCHWOOD,THE SARAH JANE ADVENTURES,
                      K-9, CLASS and much more...

Comment

I'm gonna go with evolution.
                        Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

Comment

Yeah. Thing is, we just don't know at this point.

I don't see why. It wouldn't even be the first time they've done a Klingon redesign. And they're not alone either...
                          • When the Trill were introduced in TNG, they looked like this and the symbionts like this, vs their redesigned appearances just two years later in DS9
                          • The Borg started out as pale guys with wires in TNG Season 2, but by the time of First Contact and Voyager they'd been 'updated' to depict necrotic-looking skin and implants burst through flesh. Heck, Picard's Borgified appearance was retconned from its original look in Best of Both Worlds to match the later makeup/VFX designs when Locutus was shown again in First Contact--including not only face prosthetics, but even the bodysuit (making this a mid-episode retcon, no less)
                          • While not strictly a redesign, from TOS through the chronological last stories of the Prime timeline, Andorians had a fixed look starting in TOS--and then Enterprise introduced the Aenar as a subspecies
                          • Enterprise also upgraded and revised the Gorn from their original appearance of a muscular green bipedal lizard in TOS (and echoed in TAS), into something rather more dinosaur-like
                          • Romulans started out looking like Vulcans in TOS, were modified to include prominent forehead ridges in TNG, and more recently in the 2009 film the ridging was scaled back to being just a prominent brow (to say nothing of the tattooing that had never been shown before)

I'm sure there are more, but I'm tired of prowling Memory Alpha for decent pictures
                          Most of those down to technology production upgrades, with probably the exception of the trill, I bet that was due to Terry Farrell being difficult to work with.An introducing a sub suspicies is acceptable to me

Here they seem to be changing it for the sake of changing it.

Comment

Originally posted by knowles2 View Post
                            Most of those down to technology production upgrades, with probably the exception of the trill, I bet that was due to Terry Farrell being difficult to work with.An introducing a sub suspicies is acceptable to me

Here they seem to be changing it for the sake of changing it.
                            I think they felt that Terry Farrell was too beautiful a woman to hide under that first Trill make-up. Thank goodness they decided to go with the spots.

THE TARDIS DATA CORE - Encyclopaedia and reference site covering DOCTOR WHO, K-9 AND COMPANY, TORCHWOOD,THE SARAH JANE ADVENTURES,
                            K-9, CLASS and much more...

Comment

Worth remembering.
                              Last edited by DigiFluid; 13 February 2017, 10:46 AM.

Comment

Announcement via Twitter:
                                #StarTrekDiscovery has recruited three new Starfleet officers! Welcome aboard @terryserpico, @MaulikPancholy, & Sam Vartholomeos!
                                EW article:

Star Trek: Discovery casts three more actors

Star Trek: Discovery is adding some more cast.

Though the CBS All-Access drama is currently shooting its debut season, there’s apparently a few more significant roles that haven’t been out there yet.

First up is Maulik Pancholy (30 Rock, Weeds) who plays Dr. Nambue, the Chief Medical Officer of the starship Shenzhou (that’s the ship captained by Michelle Yeoh’s character).

Terry Serpico (Army Wives) will play Admiral Anderson, a high-ranking official of Starfleet.

Sam Vartholomeos (The Following) will play Ensign Connor, a Junior Officer in Starfleet Academy assigned to the starship Shenzhou.

This new iteration of the series arrives 50 years after Star Trek first beamed into living rooms and promises “the same ideology and hope for the future.” Discovery is set before the events of the original series and stars Sonequa Martin-Green, Anthony Rapp, Michelle Yeoh, Doug Jones, and James Frain as Spock’s father, Sarek.

Comment

Working...
                                X