No announcement yet.

Why do weapons work in Warp?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

In the Star Trek Universe, torpedos have a warp field sustainer engine built in, so if they are fired at warp speed, they can "take the warp field with them." Phasers can only be used if the vessel it is firing on is within their warp field...effectively close-in armaments while at warp.
    Secretary-General of GATO ¤ Defender of F.O.R.D.

Comment

thanks tyler, that was way better than my explanation!! i don't know what i was thinking!!!!1!5

Comment

I guess the video game Star Trek:Encounters isn't canon because in that game you control a ship in warp and you can shoot down other ships in warp with phasers but the torpedoes don't fire forward they fly back because you are going so fast.

Comment

Originally posted by monkey_man132 View Post
          I guess the video game Star Trek:Encounters isn't canon because in that game you control a ship in warp and you can shoot down other ships in warp with phasers but the torpedoes don't fire forward they fly back because you are going so fast.
          thats wrong because whatever object you fire will go faster than your current speed. its all relative.

its how bender was left floating through space forever with barely any swag.

Comment

Originally posted by monkey_man132 View Post
            Why do weapons work in Warp?

OK my understanding of Warp speed is minimal but enough to surmise that wouldn't the energy weapons fired while 2 opposing ships are at equal or close warp have to be traveling at faster speeds than the ships themselves.If the energy weapons were traveling at the speed of light for example, and the ship is going 200 times the speed of light either the energy burst wouldn't even be able to leave the ship or it would be shot and just fly back at the ship in incredible speeds.This has puzzled me for some time and i would be crushed if it was some dumb obvious answer so go easy on me.

So...Someone tell me why do energy weapons work in warp speed?

There was an explanation in enterprise after they first got their phasers. Reed said they wouldnt work at warp and Archer was all WTF. They said u gotta be careful how u set them or theyll destabilize the warp field and A) pop u out of warp or B) worse. But later on we see various weapons being used at warp, so i guess it varies, and can be overcome dependign on the weapon.

Comment

Originally posted by kymeric View Post
              There was an explanation in enterprise after they first got their phasers. Reed said they wouldnt work at warp and Archer was all WTF. They said u gotta be careful how u set them or theyll destabilize the warp field and A) pop u out of warp or B) worse. But later on we see various weapons being used at warp, so i guess it varies, and can be overcome dependign on the weapon.
              You must remember, this is Enterprise (the most screwed up of all the Trek shows)

But yeah, it would seem, overtime, they overcame that problem, as Torpedoes are fired at warp in the other shows.
              Last edited by Aerilon; 01 June 2007, 02:29 PM.
              sigpic
              It's Probin' Time!

Comment

Originally posted by Tycoon View Post
                You must remember, this is Enterprise (the **** up of all Trek shows)

But yeah, it would seem, overtime, they overcame that problem, as Torpedoes are fired at warp in the other shows.
                No need for the cussing...

Comment

My Apologies. I didn't mean it as offensive, but rather, expressing myself. Edited anyway.
                  sigpic
                  It's Probin' Time!

Comment

Its okay I'm sure you can understand how a fan of Enterprise can be offended by that. I just hope people never get like that about Stargate franchise.

Comment

Originally posted by kymeric View Post
                      A few episodes later, they have apparently managed to figure out how to make it work because they do just that and use the phasers while at warp.

Comment

Originally posted by Avatar28 View Post
                        A few episodes later, they have apparently managed to figure out how to make it work because they do just that and use the phasers while at warp.
                        They are quick learners
                        sigpic
                        It's Probin' Time!

Comment

Working...
                        X