• Time
  • Show
Clear All

There's an article about it today on SciFi Wire:
    http://www.scifi.com/scifiwire/index...ory=0&id=36682
    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by techjunkie
      Well kids, it's gone beyond speculation now - and casting rumours are flying. The latest rumour with some truth?

Matt Damon as A young James T Kirk.

excerpted today, june 20

June 20, 2006

By theINSIDER's Marc S. Malkin

Will MATT DAMON get beamed up? Could happen. I'm told J.J. ABRAMS is very interested in casting the Oscar-winning Damon as a young Captain Kirk in the upcoming 'Star Trek' movie that he's directing and producing. He's so interested that he's apparently already sought support from the original Kirk, WILLIAM SHATNER. "Shatner gave his blessing," my source says. "J.J. got his approval." Damon first popped up in Trekkie circles as soon as the Abrams-'Star Trek' deal was announced. Rumor had it that the new movie would center on Kirk and Spock's early days at a space academy. "J.J. wants Damon as Capt. Kirk," my source reports. "He really loves the idea."

This is good. And JJ doing the writing and directing. Hmmmm...
      Aw, okay, it's time to own up. I'm the source of that rumour. No, really. I am. I mentioned Matt Damon being cast as the young James T Kirk in another thread.

It'll never happen. I'm more likely to catch a glimpse of the Loch Ness Monster than see any truth in these rumours. The only rumour I can believe is that the movie will come out in 2008.
      "Captain, you almost make me believe in luck."

Comment

One of thew papers in England (a free paper called the metro) reported that Damon was going to be Kirk, with the REAL kirk (Shatner) giving his blessing.

Rimmer: 'I cant let you out'
        Lister: 'Why not?'
        Rimmer: 'Because the king of the potato people wont let me. I begged him. I got down on my knees and wept. He wants to keep you here, keep you here for 10 years'
        Cat: 'Can we see him?'
        Rimmer: 'See who?'
        Cat: 'The king.'
        Rimmer: 'Do you have a magic carpet?'
        Lister: 'Yeah...a little 3 seater'
        Rimmer: 'So let me get this straight, you want to fly on a magic carpet to see the king of the potato people, and plead with him for your freedom. And your telling me your completely sane?'

Comment

Originally posted by Smegger56
          One of thew papers in England (a free paper called the metro) reported that Damon was going to be Kirk, with the REAL kirk (Shatner) giving his blessing.
          Lots of places have said that, doubt it's true.

Comment

Personally I think if a new movie is going to be made, it should focus on Riker and Troi with their crew on the Titan. The movie can introduce an ensemble cast and dynamic new enemy, possibly acting as the precursor to a Titan TV series.
            scifiultraists.0catch.com
            Science Fiction news, reviews, and more

Comment

Originally posted by Smegger56
              Scifiwire said that too, so I bet that it's at least true that he's being considered, but this is supposed to be a prequel- Isn't Damon about the age Shatner was in TOS?

Comment

Originally posted by GeniiPrior111
                Personally I think if a new movie is going to be made, it should focus on Riker and Troi with their crew on the Titan. The movie can introduce an ensemble cast and dynamic new enemy, possibly acting as the precursor to a Titan TV series.
                Ooo, I don't know about Riker. I just recently watched Nemesis, and he was looking a bit paunchy. Poor Troi (you'll know the scene I'm talking about ). I bet he's already been through a few Captain's chairs since taking command of the Titan.

Comment

Originally posted by Missster.Freeman
                  he was looking a bit paunchy.
                  Riker? Paunchy? Ok, yes. But still he remains one of the best Trek characters.

Comment

They discussed the Damon/Kirk thing on AOTS
                    sigpic

Comment

Riker? Paunchy? Ok, yes. But still he remains one of the best Trek characters.
                      Oh, I do like Riker, even though some people deemed him to be too stiff. Riker is the Kirk of the TNG era, which is no bad thing either. And like Kirk, his waist is starting to spread. Riker has his own hair though; at least there's that.

ETA: Thanks for the link Abydos. Will have a looky later whenever I have a spare kilobit on my internet connection.

Comment

Appreciate the link, Abydos. However, the video's playing insanely slow for me. Would it be possible to put this on youtube or something like that? Thanks.

Comment

Appreciate the link, Abydos. However, the video's playing insanely slow for me. Would it be possible to put this on youtube or something like that? Thanks.
                          I have no way of getting the link since the pages' source file doesn't show a link to were I can find the actual file, and it isn't on iTunes yet so...., I got nothing.

And it's been slow over the last couple of days for me, and I have DSL.
                          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by techjunkie
                            Well kids, it's gone beyond speculation now - and casting rumours are flying. The latest rumour with some truth?

Matt Damon as A young James T Kirk.

excerpted today, june 20

June 20, 2006

By theINSIDER's Marc S. Malkin

Will MATT DAMON get beamed up? Could happen. I'm told J.J. ABRAMS is very interested in casting the Oscar-winning Damon as a young Captain Kirk in the upcoming 'Star Trek' movie that he's directing and producing. He's so interested that he's apparently already sought support from the original Kirk, WILLIAM SHATNER. "Shatner gave his blessing," my source says. "J.J. got his approval." Damon first popped up in Trekkie circles as soon as the Abrams-'Star Trek' deal was announced. Rumor had it that the new movie would center on Kirk and Spock's early days at a space academy. "J.J. wants Damon as Capt. Kirk," my source reports. "He really loves the idea."

This is good. And JJ doing the writing and directing. Hmmmm...
                            I really don't want to see this idea go though. I really didn't like TOS that much because it was cheesy, and the Academy thing doesn't stick with canon.
                            I'm from Iowa, United States

Comment

This is a prequel...Isn't Damon about the age Shatner was in TOS?

Comment

http://blogcritics.org/archives/2006/06/25/103414.php

More ideas on re-casting the series- I actually thought that Adrien Brody as Spock wasn't such a bad idea.

Comment

Working...
                                X