Deep Space 9 Superior

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Lieutenant Colonel Davis View Post
    Yah, well since he's number 1 on the list he gets the benefit of me not breaking if I see him crossing the street.

@ Jel SGA people are saying that SciFi canned the series.
    they're most likely wrong, it was MGM's decision

Originally posted by Pitry View Post
    ...Major Kira? Sisko's second in command?
    LOL true but she often accompanies Sisko and the others. I mean who's in command of the station when all the senior officers (Sisko, Kira, Dax, Worf, O'Brien, Bashir) are on a mission?

Originally posted by jelgate View Post
    That must make it true They are going to blame SciFi first because SciFi cancelled SG1, but if you have read as many articles about the cancelation as I have and read between the lines, its looks like MGM's doing.
    sigpic
    The Sam Carter/Amanda Tapping Thunk thread The Sam/RepliCarter Ship Thread

Comment

Originally posted by Jumper_One View Post
      LOL true but she often accompanies Sisko and the others. I mean who's in command of the station when all the senior officers (Sisko, Kira, Dax, Worf, O'Brien, Bashir) are on a mission?
      That Maquis security officer (can't remember his name) was in charge once, wasn't he? That time when there was a problem during transportation, and Sisko and the others got stuck in the computer with their bodies as holograms.

There's always someone just below someone else in rank, so when the senior staff is gone, whoever has the highest rank of those left behind is in charge

"We're grown-ups now and it's our turn to decide what that means." - xkcd
      The Church of Mappothism | My YouTube Videos (mostly Farscape music videos)

Starburst 1.1 1.2 1.3 | 2.1 2.2 2.3 | 3.1 3.2 3.3 | 4.1 4.2 4.3

Comment

brother freelancer, your thinking about Lt Com. Eddington. Star Fleet is like any military. Their is a chain of command of who is in charge if the senior staff is gone. One of my favorite episodes features him on the run from the Sisko. (the name escapes me.). It shows just how dark Sisko can be. He threaten to kill a planet to capture Eddington. Good episodes
        Originally posted by aretood2
        Jelgate is right

Comment

Originally posted by ./freelancer View Post
          That Maquis security officer (can't remember his name) was in charge once, wasn't he? That time when there was a problem during transportation, and Sisko and the others got stuck in the computer with their bodies as holograms.
          I think you mean Our Man Bashir

Originally posted by ./freelancer View Post
          There's always someone just below someone else in rank, so when the senior staff is gone, whoever has the highest rank of those left behind is in charge
          indeed but I was wondering if we knew this person or if it's just some random guy who's never been mentioned. I guess it's probably the latter...

brother freelancer, your thinking about Lt Com. Eddington. Star Fleet is like any military. Their is a chain of command of who is in charge if the senior staff is gone. One of my favorite episodes features him on the run from the Sisko. (the name escapes me.). It shows just how dark Sisko can be. He threaten to kill a planet to capture Eddington. Good episodes
          For the Uniform
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Lord batchi ball
            But like what freek said, Atlantis lacks what ever he was talking about, and that means also that I only want to watch each epiode maybe once then I could care less, oh wow they defeated the houche mamas, what else is on. Its so predictable, they always win and if they lose they win anyway.
            I feel the same way about the last 95% of all the Atlantis episodes. Some are great and I love to re-watch them but most are either perdictable, boring, seen it already, or just utterly ridiculous (if not all of the above). I still wish the series would have lasted a couple more seasons, I would have liked to have seen where Woolsey would have taken the series so to speak.
            Originally posted by Lord batchi ball View Post
            I love DVR, well I also love lamp but never mind that. Anyway With the DVR I set and forget. I used to really make sure I watched SGA and SG1 but now I could care less what time there on, its awesome.
            I am also a Tivo fanatic especially since the series III Hi-Def boxes came out. I set everything I like on "Season Pass" and like you said "forget about it" until I am ready to watch everything new that has been recorded. I end up spending a lot less time on front of television while watching only the programming I want to watch with no commercials. Talk about life changing, best invention for the television ever!.
            the Fifth Race

Mod@ www.Bodybuilding.com
            Mod@ www.MMAforumcom

Comment

Originally posted by Pitry View Post
              The irony is that when they did finish the series it fell flat on me. I mean, I loved Unending, but I do dislike the vast majority of season 10 and thought Ark of Truth was a horrible way of ending the Orii story. The result is, that while I love season 9 - it is, in fact, one of my favourite seasons - I do sometimes feel Stargate would have been better finishing off on their own terms in season 8, like they obviuosly meant to.
              I couldn't agree more Lady Shroom. I loved season 9 but kind of hated season 10. I aslo agree with what brother Fith said in that they very well could have eneded the series after a number of different seasons, but I'm glad it endured.
              The USS Defiant Rocks!
              http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pb1MkhBytFw
              http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p8N1P...eature=related
              http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uRquZ...eature=related

Comment

they're most likely wrong, it was MGM's decision
                I have a hunch it was SciFi, they like to make D*ck moves.

Comment

He DID kill the planet! Well, to human use. I love Sisko.

I just saw 'The Daedalus Variations' and I enjoyed it greatly.
                  Spoiler:
                  Good use of all of the 'B team': Lorne, Zelenka, Chuck, even the wonderful Major Marks was mentioned! Special mention to Marks for making Teyla actually look competent! The look of shock on Rodney's face when she actually tuned off the power to that junction! AND she had no malice towards him for looking down on her, despite having 4 years of reasons to look down on her 'technical skill'. And the complete opposite of Teyla was Ronon. While hilariously ironic that he of all people couldn't fire the biggest gun he'd ever handled, it just makes him look stupid for not going to the training AND for resorting to hitting the console. Isn't he more technologically savy than Teyla, being Satedan and all? Then again... never mind. He's the big black thug. Ugh. Rodney didn't save the day in 45 mins, he saved the day in about 4 weeks thanks to his past self. Both Shep's decisions saved the day, the mutual love was great, BUT not asking who the heck the attacking aliens were was dumb! It very well MIGHT happen in our reality, and very likely will. Again: 5 seconds, Shep! Say what's going on!

Shep: "They're the @#!%$, and they were screwed over by the Ancients thousands of years ago. We don't know anything else about th...*" [ship jumps]

Interesting aliens, though the ship looks uninspiring. It reminds me of one from Trek, the Promellian battlecruiser from TNG: "Booby Trap". They're resistant in body and ship, resisting 3 Asgard beams which can take out a Hive ship and multiple shots from P90s and Ronon's gun. Their weapons seem plasma-like, not unlike the Asgard beams, perhaps explaining their ability to take down Atlantis' shields so quickly. Even multiple Wraith hive ships couldn't do that. Little blinky light in the forehead. The episode seemed like yet another 'There But For The Grace Of God', following the season 4 finale being in the same vein. Perhaps this new alien threat is what future Rodney and Lorne were discussing about a threat to the Milky Way? Anyway, just showing us the enemy in another reality takes away from first meeting them in our reality and it feels like cheating after the third or fourth time the plot device is used. Still, I enjoyed the episode for the interesting 'quantum leap' element, the b team, and Teyla FINALLY being useful!
                  Last edited by nx01a; 25 August 2008, 11:13 AM.
                  sigpic
                  More fun @ Spoofgate!

Comment

yeah right. they cancel Atlantis and 24 hours later SGU is announced. come on clearly SGA was offed to make way for SGU! of course Brad's saying that it was a mutual decision. check the ratings, they improved considerably and I'm pretty sure SCI FI would've renewed the show. but MGM wanted to produce SGU ASAP
                    Geez, I take a week off from the this place and comeback to find all these big headlines.

Am I surprised that Atlantis is getting canceled?, not in the least, dying rating, sagging storylines and whole lotta same ole - same ole. I am bummed because I really liked chemistry with SGA-1 (team Shep). Teylan, Rodney, Ronan and Shep are a great team with tons of personailty and talent and very entertaining to watch, but unfortunetly the writing didn't match the effort.

Originally posted by Franklyn Blaze View Post
                    I just read the headlines, but never open the full story. It's fun to know whats coming but not actually know anything about it.
                    LOL, I am exactly the same way brother Blaze. I like to know what the wondow dressing say's, but I do not dare peek inside.
                    The USS Defiant Rocks!

Comment

Originally posted by Lieutenant Colonel Davis View Post
                      I have a hunch it was SciFi, they like to make D*ck moves.
                      a hunch? that's it? you're right it's SCI FI however it would make little sense for them to cancel a successful show... unless this was MGM's decision. think about it, what does SCI FI get? a brand new show and at least one Atlantis movie. it sucks to be a fan of said show but it's a pretty good business decision

Originally posted by USS Defiant View Post
                      Geez, I take a week off from the this place and comeback to find all these big headlines.

Am I surprised that Atlantis is getting canceled?, not in the least, dying rating, sagging storylines and whole lotta same ole - same ole. I am bummed because I really liked chemistry with SGA-1 (team Shep). Teylan, Rodney, Ronan and Shep are a great team with tons of personailty and talent and very entertaining to watch, but unfortunetly the writing didn't match the effort.
                      um first of all it's Teyla. secondly, you're wrong about the ratings, they improved during s4.5 and throughout the first eps of s5
                      Spoiler:

the last ep (The Shrine) was amazing so I'm sure that the trend will continue. also the rating points have changed, a 1.5 today was like a 1.8 a few years ago and Atlantis is one of the most DVR'd shows! have you seen BSG's ratings? after all SCI FI considers it to be the network's flagship show.
                      Spoiler:

once again Atlantis did NOT get cancelled due to ratings!
                      Last edited by Jumper_One; 25 August 2008, 12:41 PM.
                      sigpic

Comment

um first of all it's Teyla. secondly, you're wrong about the ratings, they improved during s4.5 and throughout the first eps of s5
                        A little touchy are we. First of all I know it's Teyla (pardon me for mispelling). Second of all, am I wrong about ratings?, I purposed the question that maybe its the ratings, I wasn't saying it was for sure. And I was comparing what Atlantis did the first couple season to to the crappy ratings it gets today. So relax and tone it down a notch or two my friend, don't be jumping down my back.

a hunch? that's it? you're right it's SCI FI however it would make little sense for them to cancel a successful show...
                        Successful in your eyes, a flop in mine.
                        Originally posted by Jumper_One
                        once again Atlantis did NOT get cancelled due to ratings!
                        Those ratings stink, if wasn't the ratings it was the crappy writing then. Let me guess you blame MGM and TPTB for all of Atlantis' woes and it being cancelled?.
                        Last edited by USS Defiant; 25 August 2008, 12:59 PM.
                        The USS Defiant Rocks!

Comment

A little touchy are we.
                          maybe a little. look I'm sorry. people keep saying that Atlantis got cancelled due to ratings and they have no idea what they're talking about (I'm in no way implying that you're one of them).

First of all I know it's Teyla (pardon me for mispelling).
                          ok

Second of all, am I wrong about ratings?, I purposed the question that maybe its the ratings, I wasn't saying it was for sure.
                          I must've misread, sorry

And I was comparing what Atlantis did the first couple season to to the crappy ratings it gets today. So relax and tone it down a notch or two my friend, don't be jumping down my back.
                          you can't compare the ratings from s1 with s5 for two major reasons

1) DVR has had a big impact on television and Atlantis is one of the most DVR'd shows. 1.8 million people watched the s5 premiere live while 600,000 used DVR -> viewers after live +7: 2.4 million

2) the rating points changed. for example: the s5 premiere S&R pulled in a 1.7 after live +7 (1.3 for live +sd) which would've been a 2.0 when s1 aired.

Successful in your eyes, a flop in mine.
                          true but a lot of fans would agree. also...
                          GW: SG-1 obviously set the bar very, very high, as the first show out of the gate. Do you think that six or seven years is an unrealistic expectation, even for a Stargate show?

BW: I think that one of the reasons why Stargate [SG-1]'s life was so long was that we really did shift networks halfway through. We were five years on Showtime, and then we were five years on SCI FI. People forget that. People also forget the fact that in Seasons Nine and Ten it was practically a new series. Creatively, it was a huge shift. Continuum was obviously a shift back to the little bit older days. But ten years is going to be the exception, not the rule.

And I will never, ever apologize or feel bad -- or suggest that anyone around here should feel bad -- for a 5-year run. That is, in television, a homerun by any definition.
                          http://www.gateworld.net/interviews/...ings_....shtml

Those ratings stink, if wasn't the ratings it was the crappy writing then.
                          Atlantis has been pulling in similar numbers as BSG, the network's flagship show so the ratings couldn't have been that bad.

Let me guess you blame MGM and TPTB for all of Atlantis' woes and it being cancelled?.
                          nope I think TBTB (BW and RCC, NOT JM and PM) and MGM had to make a decision: produce more SG-1 movies and Atlantis, SG-1 movies and SGU, or Atlantis and SGU. I don't blame SGU and will certainly check it out but it's pretty obvious that Atlantis was offed to make way for SGU imo
                          sigpic

Comment

nope I think TBTB (BW and RCC, NOT JM and PM) and MGM had to make a decision: produce more SG-1 movies and Atlantis, SG-1 movies and SGU, or Atlantis and SGU. I don't blame SGU and will certainly check it out but it's pretty obvious that Atlantis was offed to make way for SGU imo
                            Well, if that's true and the PTB made the decision this is getting more than a bit ridiculous. They start writing SGU and they'll run into the same problems as they did with Atlantis- it's a very typical move for them. Find what they're writing isn't working, dump what they *think* (or wish) is the problem, move on to a shiny new toy and repeat the cycle because they never figured out the real problem and how to fix it in the first place.

Comment

maybe a little. look I'm sorry. people keep saying that Atlantis got cancelled due to ratings and they have no idea what they're talking about (I'm in no way implying that you're one of them).
                              Again you say they don't know what there talking about?, what makes you the expert?. If the ratings were better (consistantly over 2.0) they never would have cancelled it.
                              you can't compare the ratings from s1 with s5 for two major reasons
                              I will compare anything I wish thank you. I repectfully disagree with your asessment about DVR's being the demise of Atlantis. DVR's are the future and some Networks are realizing this by asking for porgramming information from Tivo about what everyone is recording. I even heard the Neilson Rating system is going to start adopting Tivo and other DVR's into there rating system.
                              Well maybe if Atlantis' ratings were better SGU would have been developed later or never at all.

I'm sorry for getting irked brother J1, it's not personal, I like you and consider you a good friend. - But when someone tells me my or anyone elses opinion is wrong, I stick up for them and myself. You have your opinion, fine, but when you start telling people they're wrong because of what you percieve to be right when the facts are disputed you are going to piss people off.
                              The USS Defiant Rocks!

Comment

Originally posted by the Fifth Race View Post
                                LOL very well said Freek. Atlantis is ripe with hero of the week miracle solution episodes. I grew sick of this with Rodney the first season (so much so that I almost ditched Atlantis all together). Then like you mentioned it just so happens that Sheppard is a fellow genius who can come up with his own miracle solutions on the fly. A tad bit to convenient for my taste.
                                I've never been a fan of stargate [atlantis] one-offs. They just don't work. They aren't paced well and the miracle solution always comes within the last 5 minutes. That's not how you tell a story, you don't broadside someone with the climax and 2 minute conclusion. The story unfolds at a certain pace, so people can digest and don't end up going how did that happen? I could see if there was a plot twist you'd want it to be a surprise but those a few and far between in sga.
                                Last edited by Franklyn Blaze; 25 August 2008, 02:43 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X