No announcement yet.

Deep Space 9 Superior

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

In the USA syfy (oh I hate that new spelling...) shows ENT and TNG regularly... but no DS9 anywhere...

Comment

Originally posted by Rac80 View Post
      In the USA syfy (oh I hate that new spelling...) shows ENT and TNG regularly... but no DS9 anywhere...
      Does anyone else read that as "Siffy" in their head? or just me...

Comment

yep i do, but then I saw the old one as "sciffy" (or maybe the new one is "sissy" with an old english spelling )

Comment

Originally posted by Rac80 View Post
          Unfortunatly I think Spike still holds the rights to DS9 and VOY. It would make sense that their TNG contract expired and given their current status it also makes sense Spike didn't want to renew their TNG contract. Hence why SyFy now has the rights to TNG.
          Originally posted by aretood2
          Jelgate is right

Comment

Originally posted by Krisz View Post
            Boy, do I know that feeling!!!
            AWESOME So I have company?

That is sadly the way of things as far as DS9 goes. I reckon the TV execs think of DS9 in the same way as many people do, it's the most 'unTrek' of all the Treks and many people just didn't 'get' it. Hence its popularity was not as much as it deserved.
            Maybe that's why I like it so much. Cause it's different from all the other Trek's

I recall that it was only shown on its first run in the UK on BBC 2, and that was the first and only time I saw it for many years. Of course it was on at the main 'watershed time' of 6pm when people would be watching the news on the other 3 channels that were available on terrestrial TV at the time. I never saw it again on any other channel, even when I got Sky Digital in 1997 to when I left the UK at the end of 2005!
            Yeah I used to watch it on BBC2 back in the day I think if memory serves me they used to maybe have the repeats on in the early hours....Or was that TNG *scrratches head*

I never watch the Hews Too depressing

And as for Sky, didn't they show it on Sky One late at night/in the early hours a few years ago? Or maybe that could have been TNG again Oh this memory thing is terrible :
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Karhedron View Post
              I certainly do not think so. You gotta keep in mind that Sisko was Lt Commander on the USS Saratoga in 2366. In 2369 he took command of DS9 with the rank of a Commander.
              He was promoted to Captain in 2371...only two years after he took command.

I do not really think that could be considered moving slow on the promotion ladder.
              Ah, thanks for that. I've always incorrectly thought Sisko was older than Janeway, when he was actually a couple years younger, which means he was promoted around the same time.
              If your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt. ~Henry J. Kaiser

Comment

Originally posted by Krisz
                I’m up for a dedicated quiz on the movie though, there was a lot there and it will be interesting to see what you pick out to test us all on. Bound to be the bits I tend to forget, especially ones that demand attention to detail! For instance, I knew that a question would come up in the last quiz about the items Bashir gave Kira when he told her to relax. Could I remember all of them? Of course not!
                When I do present the Star Trek XI "dedicated quiz" it will be a month or so after it's Oct. DVD release where everyone will have had a chance to buy or rent and rewatch it.
                Originally posted by Krisz
                That is sadly the way of things as far as DS9 goes. I reckon the TV execs think of DS9 in the same way as many people do, it's the most 'unTrek' of all the Treks and many people just didn't 'get' it. Hence its popularity was not as much as it deserved
                Spike ran DS9 continuously for 7 straight years (longer than TNG or VOY). That's a great run for any show in syndication. I promise you we haven't seen the last of it on television.
                Originally posted by Alder View Post
                Thank goodness for DVDs...
                Amen sister Alder. You never have to rely on anything other than a working DVD player and television.
                the Fifth Race

Mod@ www.Bodybuilding.com
                Mod@ www.MMAforumcom

Comment

Originally posted by Krisz View Post
                  I’m glad the writers did introduce the symbiont character. I was fascinated when I first saw the Trill character introduced in TNG. I liked the way DS9 developed it and did actually take the question of the symbiont and its hosts’ relationships further, especially where the host and the previous person in the symbiont’s relationship were the same sex.
                  That would be the infamous season IV episode Rejoined where Dax meets up Dr. Lenora Kahn, who just happens to be one of Dax's male hosts (Torias Dax) ex-wife. The whole lesbian thing was never an issue for me (I'm not homophobic), but the episode didn't use the same-sex issue as a ploy - Rejoined is a love story, pure and simple. Not one of my favorite episodes, but very tastefully done!.
                  the Fifth Race

Mod@ www.MMAforumcom

Comment

Originally posted by the Fifth Race View Post
                    When I do present the Star Trek XI "dedicated quiz" it will be a month or so after it's Oct. DVD release where everyone will have had a chance to buy or rent and rewatch it.
                    November 16th for us poor Brits, as Amazon never fails to remind me when I log in... [I *may* have put it on my wish list...]

And apropos of nothing - the guy who plays General Martok, whose name escapes me right this second, is just fantastic. I was watching "Once More Into the Breach" (which my dad would call 'Once More Into the Breeks', but that's another story) and it just reminded me of how much I like that character, even with his flaws and occasional tendency to hold a grudge. He might be big and scary, but he seems like an honourable man. Which is as high praise as you can give a Klingon, I suppose.

Comment

DS 9 just couldn't grab my attention. Certain aspects did apeal, but on a whole I often found myself bored with the episodes.

Comment

Originally posted by Chel Nak View Post
                        DS 9 just couldn't grab my attention. Certain aspects did apeal, but on a whole I often found myself bored with the episodes.
                        Aaaaaand, you came into the DS9 thread *just* to say that? Um...ok. What about the other Trek series'?

Comment

Originally posted by Alder View Post
                          Aaaaaand, you came into the DS9 thread *just* to say that? Um...ok. What about the other Trek series'?
                          A lot has changed since this thread was created. First it was a discussion and then turned into a social group. But anyway the very first post in this thread talks do you think DS9 is the best Trek out there?
                          Originally posted by aretood2
                          Jelgate is right

Comment

Originally posted by Chel Nak View Post
                            I can understand that. There are quite a few scifi series I gave up on only to go back and give it another chance and find out that I love it. DS9 is not everyone's cup of tea. Although we have converted quite a few DS9 naysayers over the years right here on this thread.
                            the Fifth Race

Mod@ www.MMAforumcom

Comment

Originally posted by jelgate View Post
                              A lot has changed since this thread was created. First it was a discussion and then turned into a social group. But anyway the very first post in this thread talks do you think DS9 is the best Trek out there?
                              What this thread has become today (an all-purpose Star Trek/Sci-Fi thread with a preference towards DS9) is just perfect! (kudo's brother Fifth). I enjoy the fact that we have become a social family on this thread as well. I have much love and respect for our groups opinion's, idea's, and basic chat.

IMHO DS9/Star Trek/Stargate fans are simply a cut above.

Comment

Originally posted by the Fifth Race View Post
                                I can understand that. There are quite a few scifi series I gave up on only to go back and give it another chance and find out that I love it. DS9 is not everyone's cup of tea. Although we have converted quite a few DS9 naysayers over the years right here on this thread.
                                I can totally understand when someone isn't instantly won over by any series. SG-1 started out pretty rough. As did DS9. As did TNG. You just gotta give the show/writers a chance to get things going.

The thing I love about DS9 is that it's more a character driven show than any of the other Trek's. Like Michael Piller was saying, it's not like they can just fly off into the sunset at the end of every episode.

The characters usually aren't out there exploring some distant corner of the galaxy every week. They don't go anywhere and their problems don't magically disappear. I think that's a bit more interesting from a writing/character standpoint.

Not that there's anything wrong with episodic/plot-driven Sci-Fi series, but it just doesn't 'hit' me in the same way as DS9-type shows do.

Originally posted by Starbase View Post
                                What this thread has become today (an all-purpose Star Trek/Sci-Fi thread with a preference towards DS9) is just perfect! (kudo's brother Fifth). I enjoy the fact that we have become a social family on this thread as well. I have much love and respect for our groups opinion's, idea's, and basic chat.

IMHO DS9/Star Trek/Stargate fans are simply a cut above.
                                Well said Starbase. I really enjoy reading what you guys have to say (even Jel ) and all the discussions we have when it comes to DS9, other shows and anything else.
                                sigpic
                                "Space is disease and danger wrapped in darkness and silence."
                                DS9 Superior|Farscape|Legend of the Seeker|Stargate Universe|STAR WARS

Comment

Working...
                                X