Deep Space 9 Superior

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by nx01a View Post
    In Barbados, you should do us the courtesy of drinking our local beer, Banks. It's amazing what taxi drivers will do for a buck.
    Duly noted brother nx, I have never tried Banks before. Speaking of fine Barbados spirits - Mount Gay is some mighty fine Rum!.

Taxi drivers are the same everywhere - when they get a request to play tourist guide while getting payed handsomely there eyes light up right away. I remember our driver quite well, his name was Malcolm and he also had a name for his taxi cab that I cannot remember. I have noticed throughout the Carribean that alot taxi drivers like to give names to there vehicles. Kind of kewl.

To munch sugarcane that was freshly chopped is something everyone should try at least once. I remember our driver Malcolm telling brother USS Defiant and myself that a good number of people become addicted to sugarcane and the high it delivers. He called them sugar zombies.
    the Fifth Race

Mod@ www.Bodybuilding.com
    Mod@ www.MMAforumcom

Comment

Something I always wondered about....could the Jem'Hadar cloak their ships? They had the personal shrouds but what about the ships?

Comment

I don't think the Dominion ever had the need to cloak.Knwone had even close the power to compete with them in the Gamma Quadrant. As they can detect cloaked ships, I suppose the Dominion saw the flaws in believeing a person is safe when their ships are cloaked.
        Originally posted by aretood2
        Jelgate is right

Comment

Originally posted by the Fifth Race View Post
          Taxi drivers are the same everywhere - when they get a request to play tourist guide while getting payed handsomely there eyes light up right away. I remember our driver quite well, his name was Malcolm and he also had a name for his taxi cab that I cannot remember. I have noticed throughout the Carribean that alot taxi drivers like to give names to there vehicles. Kind of kewl.
          We've always named our cars and my daughter now follows her parents' silly tradition! There is always a silly story behind how the said vehicle came to be named!

My present car is called the 'Koralev'. This was the nutty idea of someone on the Vancouver 2008 Con thread. To name all the cars we used in our self organised Stargate locations tour after Stargate's ships!

Originally posted by HirogenGater View Post
          Something I always wondered about....could the Jem'Hadar cloak their ships? They had the personal shrouds but what about the ships?
          Interesting question. I suppose they enjoyed 'sneaking' up on their enemies as another form of intimidation to keep people in line with the use of their personal shrouds. With this tactic they probably only needed their ships to be seen to remind people of what awaits them if they don't behave! I wouldn't like to be sneaked up on by a squad of Jem'Hadar!

Comment

Originally posted by Krisz View Post
            We've always named our cars and my daughter now follows her parents' silly tradition! There is always a silly story behind how the said vehicle came to be named!

My present car is called the 'Koralev'. This was the nutty idea of someone on the Vancouver 2008 Con thread. To name all the cars we used in our self organised Stargate locations tour after Stargate's ships!
            We do the same at our house...I drive a voyager van... or Janeway as I call her! My daughter has a bright red sportscar she calls Sakura (cherry blossom). of course our cars are all females like ships/boats!
            Last edited by Rac80; 30 December 2008, 09:11 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Rac80 View Post
              We do the same at our house...I drive a voyager van... or Janeway as I call her! My daughter has a bright red sportscar she calls Sakura (cherry blossom). of course our cars are all females like ships/boats!
              Originally posted by Krisz View Post
              Very cute ladies. I can remember my dad had a 1969 Chevy Nova SS that was blue with black racing stripes with a very big and powerful motor. My little brother and I used to call it The Mach 5 in honor of Speed Racer and his car (which was a very popular animated series when I was growing).

I have been to Carribean quite a few times myself and have seen the named Taxi's that briother Fifth and USS Defiant speak of. They don't treat it like this cutesy thing, they decorate there taxi's and paint the name in big bright letters on the bumper or the side of there respected vehicles. They drive alot like European drivers in the Carribean, which means there is alot of driving on the right side of road and honking of there horns going on.

Comment

Originally posted by HirogenGater View Post
                That is a good question brother HG. I can remember Weyoun talking to Gul'Dukat about how the Jem'Hadar are expendable "we will just create more". And like brother jelgate mentioned, the Domion wasn't exactly in to sneak attacks and hiding. The Dominion saw themselves as powerful enough to take on anyone. I guess the fact no one could fire weapons under cloak gave reason for the Dominion to not worry to much about getting a cloak for themselves. They did a pretty good job of destroying a cloaked Romulan and Cardassian fleet.

Comment

Originally posted by Starbase View Post
                  Very cute ladies. I can remember my dad had a 1969 Chevy Nova SS that was blue with black racing stripes with a very big and powerful motor. My little brother and I used to call it The Mach 5 in honor of Speed Racer and his car (which was a very popular animated series when I was growing).

I have been to Carribean quite a few times myself and have seen the named Taxi's that briother Fifth and USS Defiant speak of. They don't treat it like this cutesy thing, they decorate there taxi's and paint the name in big bright letters on the bumper or the side of there respected vehicles. They drive alot like European drivers in the Carribean, which means there is alot of driving on the right side of road and honking of there horns going on.
                  Hubby teases me that although we live in Indiana, I drive like I am in Boston... very very fast honking the horn all the way! My favorite bumper sticker around here is : I'm not speeding, I'm qualifying " (For the Indy 500 for those who don't "get it") The big circular interstate around the city is I-465 or the other "Speedway" as some of us call it
                  Last edited by Rac80; 31 December 2008, 05:20 AM.

Comment

Duly noted brother nx, I have never tried Banks before. Speaking of fine Barbados spirits - Mount Gay is some mighty fine Rum!.

To munch sugarcane that was freshly chopped is something everyone should try at least once. I remember our driver Malcolm telling brother USS Defiant and myself that a good number of people become addicted to sugarcane and the high it delivers. He called them sugar zombies.
                    This is why I'm weary of taxi drivers. Dare I walk through town in a surfer shorts and shades, I get shouts in various accents, from New York to Southern to Jamaican to Anglo-Australian and every permutation thereof, asking if I 'want a taxi?'. It's sad to see some people act the fool for the touri$t$. Now, from living here and taking the tour of the factories and just knowing about my home in general, let me say there's no such thing as a 'sugar zombie'. Your taxi driver was spinning a tale of the 'natives' to fleece you guys out of a bigger tip. "Oh, yea, mon, alla dem does live in huts an' wear grass skirts." Uh huh. Sure. Most of us have high speed internet and cable tv, and a level of education and literacy higher than some 'developed' countries. We've got plain old fashioned drunks, like everywhere else, but that's about it.
                    Speaking of which... Yes, our rums are to die for. Over 15 different labels each with multiple subvarieties.
                    As for driving... Yeah. Our main highways are being upgraded to 4/6 lanes and the idiot drivers are having a grand time now that the paving's done on some sections, overtaking, speeding, etc.
                    Speaking of insane driving... Krisz... Your car is named after a doomed Russian ship? Let me know when you start driving the 'Phoenix'.
                    Last edited by nx01a; 30 December 2008, 02:26 PM.
                    sigpic
                    More fun @ Spoofgate!

Comment

You don't have a very high opinion of your Island do you brother nx?.
                      Originally posted by Starbase View Post
                      I can remember Weyoun talking to Gul'Dukat about how the Jem'Hadar are expendable "we will just create more". And like brother jelgate mentioned, the Dominion wasn't exactly in to sneak attacks and hiding. The Dominion saw themselves as powerful enough to take on anyone. I guess the fact no one could fire weapons under cloak gave reason for the Dominion to not worry to much about getting a cloak for themselves. They did a pretty good job of destroying a cloaked Romulan and Cardassian fleet.
                      Great analysis brother base. Personally I think the Dominion could have easily developed a cloaking device for there ships but with there superior attitudes and the fact they could detect cloaked ships, it wasn't necessary. I do remember Sisko and O'Brien talking about how the Jem'Hadar personal cloaks they carried were much different than the type of cloaking technology the Romulans and Klingons used.
                      the Fifth Race

Mod@ www.MMAforumcom

Comment

I love my island! I'm singing its praises up there, rant about hating pandering taxi drivers and bad drivers notwithstanding. It's just the way it's perceived and the way some people seem to want to market it that drives me crazy. And taxi drivers. And bad drivers.
                        Are you mad that I popped the 'sugar zombie' bubble?
                        sigpic
                        More fun @ Spoofgate!

Comment

You don't have a very high opinion of your Island do you brother nx?.
                          Great analysis brother base. Personally I think the Dominion could have easily developed a cloaking device for there ships but with there superior attitudes and the fact they could detect cloaked ships, it wasn't necessary. I do remember Sisko and O'Brien talking about how the Jem'Hadar personal cloaks they carried were much different than the type of cloaking technology the Romulans and Klingons used.
                          IU think there's also a chance they jsut didn't need to before they met teh Federation - they were always the strongest force around, their strngth was in being seen - the Jem Hadar were simply frightening by bein there, they had no reason to cloak.
                          And at first when they met the Federation thy still didn't think their military power was strong enough.. it took quite a while before hte Federation could actually cause enough damage to warrant cloaks...
                          Pinky, are you thinking what I'm thinking?
                          Yes, I am!
                          sigpic
                          Improved and unfuzzy banner being the result of more of Caldwell's 2IC sick, yet genuis, mind.
                          Help Pitry win a competition! Listen to Kula Shaker's new single
                          Peter Pan R.I.P

Comment

Happy new year's eve everyone!

I'm over the moon as we've just bought a new tv today (40 inch Samsung LCD- not top of the line, but very nice) to replace our dying 20 year old one.....and I picked up the movie collection and seasons one and two of B5 as well, which I am ecstatic to finally get to see.

Wall-E was amazing for anyone who hasn't seen it yet, and another random movie recommendation, I saw Thank You for Smoking the other day, it's outrageously funny, and I definitely recommend it to anyone who hasn't seen it yet.

Any word on when the quizzes will be back?

Comment

Originally posted by nx01a View Post
                              Are you mad that I popped the 'sugar zombie' bubble?
                              You believe what you want. After doing some research sugar cane addiction was not that uncommon 100+ years ago when poor people had nothing else to eat or no jobs to go to. This has been a problem in most poorish parts of the world that produce sugar cane. After we munched on sugar cane for about a half hour I was buzzing big time.

As far as bad taxi drivers/regular drivers goes I can understand your disdain (a fact of life that isn't going to change). The colorful taxi-cabs and the equally colorful drivers are a fact of Carribean life.
                              Last edited by the Fifth Race; 01 January 2009, 07:43 AM.
                              the Fifth Race

Mod@ www.MMAforumcom

Comment

Originally posted by Pitry View Post
                                IU think there's also a chance they jsut didn't need to before they met teh Federation - they were always the strongest force around, their strngth was in being seen - the Jem Hadar were simply frightening by bein there, they had no reason to cloak.
                                And at first when they met the Federation thy still didn't think their military power was strong enough.. it took quite a while before hte Federation could actually cause enough damage to warrant cloaks...
                                Well said Lady Pitry, that is kind of the point I was trying to make. Before the Federation the Dominion never faced a formidable foe (according to what I have read about the Dominion from canon and non-canon books). The Federation had the the Dominion scrambling, otherwise the Breen never would have been brought in to the war. The Dominion used them to get the organic energy dampening weapon the Breen developed.
                                Originally posted by Trek_Girl42 View Post
                                Happy new year's eve everyone!

I'm over the moon as we've just bought a new tv today (40 inch Samsung LCD- not top of the line, but very nice) to replace our dying 20 year old one.....and I picked up the movie collection and seasons one and two of B5 as well, which I am ecstatic to finally get to see.

Wall-E was amazing for anyone who hasn't seen it yet, and another random movie recommendation, I saw Thank You for Smoking the other day, it's outrageously funny, and I definitely recommend it to anyone who hasn't seen it yet.
                                Happy New Year Lady Trek and Everyone. Wtgo on the LCD television wooohoooo!. I am still waiting on Wall-E and thanx to your recommendation I added Thank You for Smoking to que my list.
                                Originally posted by Trek_Girl42
                                Any word on when the quizzes will be back?
                                I have been itching to do another quiz myself. I will put one together from my notes in the next couple weeks. We will do one sometime this month, I promise.
                                the Fifth Race

Mod@ www.MMAforumcom

Comment

Working...
                                X