No announcement yet.

Deep Space 9 Superior

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have some sad news to report: Majel Barrett Roddenberry, a.k.a. "The First Lady of Star Trek" has sadly passed away. She was 76.

Sci-fi icon Majel Barrett Roddenberry dies at 76

LOS ANGELES (Reuters) – Actress Majel Barrett Roddenberry, the widow of "Star Trek" creator Gene Roddenberry and a member of the show's cast, has died. She was 76.

Barrett Roddenberry died of leukemia on Thursday at her home in the Los Angeles neighborhood of Bel Air, her family said in a statement.

Her relationship with Gene Roddenberry, who died in 1991 after the two had been married for 22 years, earned Barrett Roddenberry the nickname "The First Lady of Star Trek."

She had roles in nearly every "Star Trek" television show and movie, playing Nurse Chapel in the original series and lending her voice to the starship's computer in nearly every incarnation of the saga.

She recently finished her role as the voice of the USS Enterprise computer in director J.J. Abrams' movie "Star Trek," which is due out in May, 2009, her family said.

Barrett Roddenberry is survived by her only son, Eugene "Rod" Roddenberry Jr. A public memorial is expected to be scheduled for sometime after Christmas.

(Reporting by Alex Dobuzinskis: Editing by Bob Tourtellotte)

See link:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20081218/...us_roddenberry

Majel, your contribution to Trek has been invaluable. The diversed characters you've portrayed in the various incarnations of Trek (as well as other sci-fi shows) were fantastic. Plus, you are irreplaceable as the Enterprise computer's voice and the next actress to fill in that job in the next Trek film sequel will have big shoes to fill. Your work will always be fondly remember by us fans. Thank you for 40 years of Trek entertainment. You will be sorely missed. R.I.P.
    Last edited by Whitestar; 18 December 2008, 03:57 PM.
    Have you ever remembered what life was like before you were born? That's how it will be like after you're dead.

Comment

Another Trek loss.
      I've always liked her single appearance as Pike's first officer over Nurse Chapel, so much stronger. But you can't beat her as Lwaxanna. Rest easy.
      sigpic
      More fun @ Spoofgate!

Comment

The Siege of ARRGH! was just too dark for my liking. Funny, since 'Apocalypse Now' [the movie] is one of my favourites. That and I can only take so much rubber cave wall in a single sitting.
        Last edited by nx01a; 18 December 2008, 05:36 PM.
        sigpic
        More fun @ Spoofgate!

Comment

Originally posted by Pitry View Post
          Ha... for season 1 I'd have to go with Duet though. Such a beautiful episode, that also I trhinm reflects a lot ebhtter what they wantd to do with the show - the way it continues afterwards, than abny other season 1 episode. It's in Duet you have the roots of In the Pale Moonlight, methinks
          I wholeheartedly agree Lady Shroom, Duet is one of the most beautiful Trek episodes ever. Season 1 had its share of very good episodes ... Vortex ... In the Hands of the Prophets ... Battle Lines ... Dax ... Past Prologue ... Captive Pursuit ... The Nagus ... Q-Less.
          Originally posted by nx01a View Post
          The Siege of ARRGH! was just too dark for my liking. Funny, since 'Apocalypse Now' [the movie] is one of my favourites. That and I can only take so much rubber cave wall in a single sitting.
          LOL. Have you ever seen to see the director's cut of Apocalypse Now brother nx?. Definetly one the greatest war movies of all time. Robert Duvall and Marlon Brando were fantastic but Marin Sheen's performance as Lt. Col. Kilgore was haunting.
          Last edited by the Fifth Race; 18 December 2008, 08:41 PM.
          the Fifth Race

Mod@ www.Bodybuilding.com
          Mod@ www.MMAforumcom

Comment

Originally posted by Whitestar View Post
            Yes, I hear that J.J. is quite good but I don't have Showtime.
            The Scifi Channel recently re-aired seasons I & II of Jeremiah. If they re-show it again I will send you a note brother WS.
            Originally posted by Whitestar
            Agreed. To quote Sisko, "The best is yet to come!" LOL
            I knew Sisko was a genius.

And thank you for posting that press release of dear Majel Barrets death. I was hoping someone would do that. I was pleased to hear that she did do the computer voice for the new Trek movie, very cool!.

Rest in peace Lwaxanna.
            the Fifth Race

Mod@ www.Bodybuilding.com
            Mod@ www.MMAforumcom

Comment

Originally posted by the Fifth Race View Post
              LOL. Have you ever seen to see the director's cut of Apocalypse Now brother nx?. Definetly one the greatest war movies of all time. Robert Duvall and Marlon Brando were fantastic but Marin Sheen's performance as Lt. Col. Kilgore was haunting.
              The first version I saw was Redux. Brilliant. The French colonial scene was great, pity it was removed in earlier versions, and the return of the bunnies. I first watched it a few years ago as a comparative exercise between the movie and Conrad's novel, Heart of Darkness, the book it's partially based on. And I actually enjoyed the project.

Sheen was Captain Benjamin L. Willard . Duvall was Mr. 'Loves the smell of napalm in the morning'.
              DEATH FROM ABOVE!!!!!!!!
              sigpic
              More fun @ Spoofgate!

Comment

And thank you for posting that press release of dear Majel Barrets death. I was hoping someone would do that. I was pleased to hear that she did do the computer voice for the new Trek movie, very cool!.

Rest in peace Lwaxanna.
                So sad to hear that as well. But very glad to know that she is still the voice of the computer.

Comment

She was with Trek from the beginning right up until the e... No. Wait. New rules say I must be +ve...

Speaking of Apocalypse Now and deaths... the surfer dude just died.
                  sigpic
                  More fun @ Spoofgate!

Comment

Awwww. RIP Majell!
                    Pinky, are you thinking what I'm thinking?
                    Yes, I am!
                    sigpic
                    Improved and unfuzzy banner being the result of more of Caldwell's 2IC sick, yet genuis, mind.
                    Help Pitry win a competition! Listen to Kula Shaker's new single
                    Peter Pan R.I.P

Comment

Originally posted by Trek_Girl42 View Post
                      So sad to hear that as well. But very glad to know that she is still the voice of the computer.
                      Indeed Trek Girl. As much as I disliked Roddenberry in the end, I absolutly loved Majel Barret. From her work on TOS, TNG and DS9 she was the mother of Star Trek. Reat in Peace Lwaxanna.

Comment

I had an idea which of course means more work for brother Fifth. When we have our next quiz, their should be a serie of Majel Barret themed question. I'll actually come up with the question if he does not have time
                        Originally posted by aretood2
                        Jelgate is right

Comment

I wholeheartedly agree Lady Shroom, Duet is one of the most beautiful Trek episodes ever. Season 1 had its share of very good episodes ... Vortex ... In the Hands of the Prophets ... Battle Lines ... Dax ... Past Prologue ... Captive Pursuit ... The Nagus ... Q-Less.
                          Those are great season 1 episodes. I particulary liked In the Hand of the Prophets, Duet and Captive Pursuit.
                          Originally posted by the Fifth Race
                          I'm a huge Apocalypse Now fan (I also love the Deerhunter, but to a lesser degree). Apocalypse Now kind of gives me the creeps everytime I rewatch it, but I still try to view at least once a year. Besides being one of the greatest flicks of all time, it is pure eye candy to watch, especially on the big screen.

Comment

I have good news for those of you who live in the US. While watching ENT I saw a SciFi promo for an all day TNG marathon on Thursday. So now you have something to do when not opening presents or hanging with loved ones.
                            Jelgate is right

Comment

Originally posted by jelgate View Post
                              I have good news for those of you who live in the US. While watching ENT I saw a SciFi promo for an all day TNG marathon on Thursday. So now you have something to do when not opening presents or hanging with loved ones.
                              I'll top that and say that SPACE is having a Trek movie marathon on Christmas Eve/Christmas Day.

Comment

Its been so long since I've seen First Contact

Now the Americans and Canadians can be extra happy on Christmas. Too bad about those British though
                                Jelgate is right

Comment

Working...
                                X