Deep Space 9 Superior

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by nx01a View Post
    I thought the pilot worked very well in terms of setting up some of the basic plots for the rest of the series, and it also worked very well as a stand alone experience.
    I must agree with you there. It was an excellent pilot and introduced the characters very well.

Comment

Originally posted by jelgate View Post
      Wrong

In the Pale Moonlight
      Damn. Now there's a conuncrum. How to choose!

Originally posted by the Fifth Race View Post
      All excellent choices brother J1.
      I agree Lady Trek. And it's kind of ironic that The Seige of AR-558 is probably the most un-Trek like episode from any Trek series. I have watched that episode so many time and I still find it totally fascinating. Sisko was brilliant as was Dax, Quark and Nog. Definetly in my top 5.
      In the Pale Moonlight is the King. That episode had it all. Avery Brooks and Andrew J. Robinsons performances were epic, It's very rare that you get such a great episode that also changes the face of series. Bringing the Romulans into the war in such a manner was a stroke of brilliance, major kudos to writers Michael Taylor and Peter Allen Fields.

NOTE: The working title for In the Pale Moonlight was Patriot

In the Pale Moonlight has an average rating of 4.9 out of 5.00 on the official Star Trek website (as of Sept. 1, 2008), making it the highest rated episode on the website (including all of the Star Trek series).
      Both eposodes are absolutely amazing- and probably my top two Trek episodes.

"Un-Trek-like" as it may be (and I don't think it went so far as that- atypical definitely) Seige was so important- up to that point we'd had mostly dialogue on what was going on in all these battles, finally we got to SEE it first hand, and they did such an amazing job. It really made the Dominion War feel that much more like a war.

I also really like the episode where Jake and Bashir were trapped in the war with the Klingons. Cirroc Lofton did a fantastic job in that ep and it was nice to see the non-prepared-Starfleet-officer perspective- and taht Klingons weren't all just talk! DS9 did stuff like that so well, major props to the writers for venturing into this territory.

Comment

The worst thing about the pilot is hate where the network cut into two for reruns
        Originally posted by aretood2
        Jelgate is right

Comment

You get to Dax and Sisko about to leave in the runabout... To Be Continued...
          Still, that's how I watched and loved it the first time. If I rewatch Emissary, I go, "Ah, this is where they split it in two."
          sigpic
          More fun @ Spoofgate!

Comment

Originally posted by Trek_Girl42 View Post
            The Seige of AR-558 is the peak of Star Trek awesome.

All excellent choices brother J1.
            thanks brother Fifth hey I just rewatched Favor the Bold and Sacrifice of Angels, awesome eps

Cannon to the right of them,
            Cannon to the left of them,
            Cannon in front of them,
            Volley'd and thunder'd.

Storm'd at with shot and shell,
            Boldly they rode and well,
            Into the Jaws of Death,
            Into the mouth of hell... Rode the six hundred.

I agree Lady Trek. And it's kind of ironic that The Seige of AR-558 is probably the most un-Trek like episode from any Trek series. I have watched that episode so many time and I still find it totally fascinating. Sisko was brilliant as was Dax, Quark and Nog. Definetly in my top 5.
            yeah definitely but that's why I like the ep, it's completely different. oh and Bill Mumy appeared as Kellin. kinda weird to see Lennier in DS9

In the Pale Moonlight is the King. That episode had it all. Avery Brooks and Andrew J. Robinsons performances were epic, It's very rare that you get such a great episode that also changes the face of series. Bringing the Romulans into the war in such a manner was a stroke of brilliance, major kudos to writers Michael Taylor and Peter Allen Fields.
            my favorite scene
            Spoiler:

It's faaaaaaaaaaaaaaaake...!!!!!!!

NOTE: The working title for In the Pale Moonlight was Patriot
            I prefer In the Pale Moonlight but thanks for the info

In the Pale Moonlight has an average rating of 4.9 out of 5.00 on the official Star Trek website (as of Sept. 1, 2008), making it the highest rated episode on the website (including all of the Star Trek series).
            I think it's actually 4.8. other eps...

The Way of the Warrior Part 1 - 4.7
            The Way of the Warrior Part 2 - 4.6
            By Inferno's Light - 4.6
            In Purgatory's Shadow - 4.7
            Sacrifice of Angels - 4.6
            The Siege of AR-558 - 4.6
            What You Leave Behind Part 1 - 4.2
            What You Leave Behind Part 2 - 4.5

The Best of Both Worlds Part 1 - 4.7
            The Best of Both Worlds Part 2 - 4.5
            All Good Things... Part 1 - 4.7
            All Good Things... Part 2 - 4.7

Originally posted by Pitry View Post
            Emissary? Really? I mean, I nkow it';s hte pilot and all and people have feelings for those, but TBH I felt it was very much a pilot - a very unrepresentative bad example of a good show....
            I wanted to mention an ep from s1 and Emissary seemed to be the best choice

Originally posted by Pitry View Post
            But yes, In The Pale Moonlight rocks on soooo many levels.
            yup
            sigpic
            The Sam Carter/Amanda Tapping Thunk thread The Sam/RepliCarter Ship Thread

Comment

The pilot was great, the finale left me a bit... Meh. At least the second half.
              I was expecting it to finally hit the fan re: Sisko's allegiance. With the Pah Wraiths about to destroy the wormhole and the Prophets and the galaxy/universe/Risa, would Sisko turn the Defiant around and head back to Bajor despite being needed in the final strike against the Dominion? It was hoping for a Babylon 5 'Endgame' moment like the one Marcus had, turning around to save Ivanova right before the, well, endgame.
              They wrapped up the Dominion War logically, Odo healing the Female Changeling and influencing to think differently about solids. Sisko got off light in his usual struggle between balancing Starfleet and being the Emissary, imo. That and the lack of Jadzia flashbacks.
              sigpic
              More fun @ Spoofgate!

Comment

I thought the pilot worked very well in terms of setting up some of the basic plots for the rest of the series, and it also worked very well as a stand alone experience.
                I couldn't agree more brother nx. For years I shunned Emissary and dismissed it as a mediocre episode. - Then awhile back when I first bought the entire collection of DS9 on DVD and actually payed attention when rewatching Emissary, I realized just how good an episode it really is. Sure the characters are rather herky/jerky and rather raw, but overall it did do a great job in setting up season 1. And who doesn't like seeing Sisko get mad at Picard.
                The pilot was great, the finale left me a bit... Meh. At least the second half.
                I agree, the second half of the finale was rather drawn out but still necessary. It was nice seeing some of them all part ways with sort of a goodbye to the fans. The scene at the very end with Kira and Jake was beautiful.
                Originally posted by nx01a
                They wrapped up the Dominion War logically, Odo healing the Female Changeling and influencing to think differently about solids. Sisko got off light in his usual struggle between balancing Starfleet and being the Emissary, imo. That and the lack of Jadzia flashbacks.
                I honestly didn't see it coming when Odo convinced the Female Changling to do what she did by surrending completely, brilliant writing. Now as far as the Cardassian fleet finally turning on the Jem'Hadar and Breen, that was easy to perdict, but still wonderful to witness. I still get chills everytime I rewatch that scene where Nog announces that the Cardassian fleet is firing on the respected Jem'Hadar and Breen fleets. Some of the coolest and most heart pumping space battles ever filmed during that final battle.

If you really look at the paralells between DS9 and B5 its amazing. Both shows used similar concepts in two completely different shows while both creating two of the greatest scifi series ever!. I used to love watching both shows during there original runs. That truly was the hey-day of scifi on television.

Comment

Originally posted by Trek_Girl42 View Post
                  "Un-Trek-like" as it may be (and I don't think it went so far as that- atypical definitely) Seige was so important- up to that point we'd had mostly dialogue on what was going on in all these battles, finally we got to SEE it first hand, and they did such an amazing job. It really made the Dominion War feel that much more like a war.
                  The Siege of AR-558 definetly makes my top 5 episode list. After watching Siege you knew that the Federation was not doing so well in the war. The tension and feel on uneasyiness is so thick that it transforms the viewer to feel like you are there standing next to your Federation brethren getting ready for battle. Sisko, Dax, Quark and especially Nog were fantastic.
                  Originally posted by Trek_Girl42
                  I also really like the episode where Jake and Bashir were trapped in the war with the Klingons. Cirroc Lofton did a fantastic job in that ep and it was nice to see the non-prepared-Starfleet-officer perspective- and taht Klingons weren't all just talk! DS9 did stuff like that so well, major props to the writers for venturing into this territory.
                  That would be Nor the Battle to the Strong, great call Trek Girl!. Another great episode where DS9 goes off the Star Trek radar and makes an episode that is rather un-Trek like. Jake was simply brilliant in that episode, exposing his weaknesses in the manner the writers did was very realistic, Cirroc really pulled it off.

Nor the Battle to the Strong captured my feelings quite effectively, in fact - this is one of the few episodes of Trek I can remember where I felt the barrier separating the people in the audience and the characters on the screen beginning to dissolve. And that's a good thing. It's one of the primary goals in cinema - to capture the audience and draw them into the situation as if they were there.
                  Originally posted by Jumper_One View Post
                  my favorite scene
                  Spoiler:

It's faaaaaaaaaaaaaaaake...!!!!!!!
                  Brilliant, I love it brother J1, you can just see the anger oozing out Romulan senator Vreenak (Stephen McHattie). Thank's for the great screen shot!. I sure would love to have that shot as my avatar.
                  Originally posted by Jumper_One
                  I think it's actually 4.8. other eps...
                  It's actually 4.85 which is still the highest rated Trek episode from any series. Deservedly so!.

Comment

Originally posted by Jumper_One View Post
                    I wanted to mention an ep from s1 and Emissary seemed to be the best choice
                    Ha... for season 1 I'd have to go with Duet though. Such a beautiful episode, that also I trhinm reflects a lot ebhtter what they wantd to do with the show - the way it continues afterwards, than abny other season 1 episode. It's in Duet you have the roots of In the Pale Moonlight, methinks
                    Pinky, are you thinking what I'm thinking?
                    Yes, I am!
                    sigpic
                    Improved and unfuzzy banner being the result of more of Caldwell's 2IC sick, yet genuis, mind.
                    Help Pitry win a competition! Listen to Kula Shaker's new single
                    Peter Pan R.I.P

Comment

Goodbye.Nurse Chapel, Lwaxana, and voice of the computer
                      Last edited by jelgate; 18 December 2008, 02:00 PM.
                      Jelgate is right

Comment

That is sad. She has a very special place in the Trek world. She will be missed.

I'm going on vacation to Michigan (my home state), so I wanted to wish you all an early Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays.

Comment

Originally posted by marielabbott View Post
                          That is sad. ?* She has a very special place in the Trek world.?* She will be missed.I'm going on vacation to Michigan (my home state), so I wanted to wish you all an early Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays.
                          Your ma'am have good taste. I'll come visit if you go to Grand Rapids
                          Jelgate is right

Comment

Originally posted by jelgate View Post
                            Your ma'am have good taste. I'll come visit if you go to Grand Rapids
                            You're from GR? I have friends there, it's a cool city. I'm a little nuts, I'm looking forward to seeing lots of snow on the ground--Indiana has mild winters, as far as I'm concerned, not like home.

Comment

I live about 20-30 min from Grand Rapids. I won't mention my homertown as it is very small. We quite a few feet of snow but a lot of it is melting
                              Jelgate is right

Comment

It's strange because I love Pierce Brosnan as an actor, but I never took a shine to him as James Bond. And the 3 or 4 Bond movies he made were not all that bad. Maybe it's because I grew up watching Roger Moore as James Bond and always thought he was the coolest version of James Bond. Any other Roger Moore Bond fans in da house?.
                                Oh you betcha! My parents introduced me to James Bond and the first one I ever saw was Moonraker with Roger Moore. While the movie was way too sci-fi for my taste, I loved Moore as Bond. I enjoyed Brosnan's interpretation of Bond, as well as Daniel Craig's, but for me Moore will always be MY Bond.

B5 was a hoot and quite deep on many levels, best scifi ever?, that's debatable. I am big Michael J Stryzinski fan and personally I found his little known series on Showtime called Jeremiah, which is about a post apocalyptic Earth where only prepubescent kids survived a deadly virus, to be his finest work.
                                Yes, I hear that J.J. is quite good but I don't have Showtime.

Like any show B5 had its brilliant episodes and moments, but it also had some very cheesy acting and some ridiculous alien and races.
                                Agreed. Season one was painful to watch and it didn't help that it's series lead actor Michael O'Hare was absolutely terrible! I've seen puppets act better than this guy! LOL. And yes, some of the aliens like the Centauri and Minbari looked way too humanoid for my taste, despite the fact that the latter is my favorite species.

I do love the series, and I have B5 ranked 4rth behind DS9, Stargate and Farscape on my all-time favorite scifi series list. I think the best scifi is the one the hasn't been made yet.
                                Agreed. To quote Sisko, "The best is yet to come!" LOL
                                Last edited by Whitestar; 18 December 2008, 03:43 PM.
                                Have you ever remembered what life was like before you were born? That's how it will be like after you're dead.

Comment

Working...
                                X