Deep Space 9 Superior

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Anubis69
    Sorry, meant to say: Aero-Mechanical Engineer in training. Well, at least if i'm stuck on a particularly sticky problem i could always ask Brother Fifth for some advice...
    Nice brother Anubis69, I wish you luck on graduating and getting an excellent paying job my friend!. I went college and studied pyrotechnics and took business classes. My wife and I run our own business and our quite successful.

Comment

When are you going to start season V episode discussion brother Fifth?. I have been watching the first half of season V episodes all week.

Comment

LOL! I love how this thread goes WAY off on tangents, but still manages to stay on topic.

Pardon me for the interruption. Carry on guys.
        "Captain, you almost make me believe in luck."

Comment

Originally posted by the Fifth Race
          When I was in school (U.C. Berkeley) studying to become an engineer The Next Generation was airing and like I have said before on this thread we all (fellow engineering students) used to gather at one of our dorm rooms and watch each TNG episode with fascination and love. We all used to debate every little detail of each episode and then talk about engineering applications to what we saw, those were good times!.
          Man, that sounds amazing. I'd kill to do that, shame there's no new Trek, not many people i know like watching SG and i don't live in halls. Ah well, watching alone has it's advantages.
          So what did you think of the Star Trek blog written by this guy brother Anubis69?.
          I disagree with a lot of what he said about the new series'... for instance:
          Detailed, strict, standards were applied to the spin-offs probably even before the pen went to the paper
          T'is one of the reasons i love Trek. It was strict but plausible. Eg. On an aircraft carrier i'd imagine all the controls would be "in front of the captain" on the bridge as the guy put it. It just makes sense! They're not gonna have the engine controls in the dining hall of the titanic are they? (not quite the same though.. )

I'd also like to think that new trek was more about people working together with technology rather than just "man or technology" as the guy suggests but i have seen nowhere near all trek.

i completely agree about the Crusher vs. McCoy thing although... McCoy played a much greater part in TOS than Crusher in TNG so maybe that's not the best comparison...

What about everyone else?

I knew Fifth ran his family business but i didn't know Brother Starbase had his own as well, that's really amazing. You people surprise me more and more...

*Apologies for the length*

The center of Khlysty surrounds me

Comment

Originally posted by Missster.Freeman
            LOL! I love how this thread goes WAY off on tangents, but still manages to stay on topic.
            LOL, ain't that the truth, this thread is an all service Star Trek fest with a DS9 twist. I read through most of (not all) the other ST threads and I see a lot of crap with one line replies that have little or nothing to do with Trek. It seems the smart Trek fans and smater Trek conversation is right here.

Comment

On an aircraft carrier i'd imagine all the controls would be "in front of the captain" on the bridge as the guy put it. It just makes sense! They're not gonna have the engine controls in the dining hall of the titanic are they? (not quite the same though.. )
              Good point.
              I'd also like to think that new trek was more about people working together with technology rather than just "man or technology" as the guy suggests but i have seen nowhere near all trek.
              Onething the newer Trek series have emphasized (especially on TNG) that working together in harmony with technology is what makes Trek appealing to me. It's such a great study of human nature blended with advanced technology. I sure hope the world does progress to a society like we see on Star Trek.
              i completely agree about the Crusher vs. McCoy thing although... McCoy played a much greater part in TOS than Crusher in TNG so maybe that's not the best comparison...
              I kind of found the analogy believable as well, although the second Dr. on TNG (Dr. Pulaski) showed more disdain and in-tolerance for Data while Crusher was fascinated by Data. Pulaski ignored and ridiculed Data to the point that Data finally called her on it and put her in her place.

I knew Fifth ran his family business but i didn't know Brother Starbase had his own as well, that's really amazing. You people surprise me more and more...
              Yup my wife and I run a company that trains people to become office managers (thats mainly my wife's gig) I help run an arcade called Starbase, I also help David (Fifth Race) keep his books and accounting in order for his great family seafood business and brother Fifth and I also are personal weight trainers for Gold's gym and 24hr Fitness. If you saw us both on the street or in the gym you would think we are a couple of muscled up handsome ladies men , not total scifi nerds.

Comment

His biased against the new Trek series (YNG, DS9 and VOY) was obvious and made his arguments seem a little less credible. He dismisses the newer Trek series characters as two dimensional and lacking. He then goes on to compare them as like "modern art, cold and callous". His hatred for anything not TOS is clouding his judgement, either that or he's just pig headed and would rather live in 1960's, God knows there are a lot of people out there like that, good thing we don't see to many on this site. The characters on TNG and DS9 were many and a few from VOY and ENT that were just as engaging and wonderful (if not more so) than on TOS.
                i agree about the Crusher vs. McCoy thing although... McCoy played a much greater part in TOS than Crusher in TNG so maybe that's not the best comparison...
                Brother Starbase said it well when the comparison should have been made between McCoy and Pulaski. I liked both Dr's. on TNG and loved the Bones character. Pulaski's disdain for Data in the beginning was borderline racist (albeit against a censioned machine), but like how Bones eventually warmed up to Spock and they eventually became very close, Pulaski and Data did the same.

his family business but i didn't know Brother Starbase had his own as well, that's really amazing. You people surprise me more and more...
                We are a pair of independently wealthy playboys that are a total scifi nerds/geeks Like brother Base said, if you saw us on the street we would look like the last people who watch and talk as much scifi as we do. Scifi has become so mainstream that no one is considered a nerd or geek if they watch or read it these days. Scifi will rule the world one day, maybe quite literally.
                the Fifth Race

Mod@ www.Bodybuilding.com
                Mod@ www.MMAforumcom

Comment

The characters on TNG and DS9 were many and a few from VOY and ENT that were just as engaging and wonderful (if not more so) than on TOS.
                  ^5, the characters on TNG and DS9 were the best!.

We are a pair of independently wealthy playboys that are a total scifi nerds/geeks Like brother Base said, if you saw us on the street we would look like the last people who watch and talk as much scifi as we do. Scifi has become so mainstream that no one is considered a nerd or geek if they watch or read it these days. Scifi will rule the world one day, maybe quite literally.
                  LOL...
                  <<<< proud scifi nerd

Comment

Originally posted by Missster.Freeman

Pardon me for the interruption. Carry on guys.
                    LOL...we are an all service Star Trek/scifi thread

I will be starting season V episode discussion in the next couple days, I am half way through re-watching season V on DVD right now, I'm loving it.
                    the Fifth Race

Mod@ www.MMAforumcom

Comment

LOL...we are an all service Star Trek/scifi thread
                      Amen, that's why this by far is my favorite Trek thread!.
                      I will be starting season V episode discussion in the next couple days, I am half way through re-watching season V on DVD right now, I'm loving it.
                      Good, I am just finishing up re-watching season V and I'm anxious to get in depth on some of these great episodes.

Comment

Originally posted by Starbase
                        Amen, that's why this by far is my favorite Trek thread!.
                        Sack that! T'is my favourite thread!

Me and a mate were talking the other night about plans for the summer. Needless to say he has S6 and S7 of DS9. Non-stop marathon, i hear you ask? Damn straight. Around a day and a half of Dominion War!!! It's gonna be a good summer...

The center of Khlysty surrounds me

Comment

Sack that! T'is my favourite thread!

Me and a mate were talking the other night about plans for the summer. Needless to say he has S6 and S7 of DS9. Non-stop marathon, i hear you ask? Damn straight. Around a day and a half of Dominion War!!! It's gonna be a good summer...
                          Most excellent brother Anubis69, I have probably rewatched seasons 6 & 7 a dozen times since I bought the DVD box sets years ago.

Once you start on the whole Dominion War it's hard to stop watching till the end. Most of seasons 6 & 7 seemed like one long and awesome continuous episode but there are a handful of great stand alone's as well. I am just finishing season V very shortly and after brother Fifth gets through seaon V episode disscussion I will re-watch 6 & 7 yet again.

Comment

Most excellent brother Anubis69, I have probably rewatched seasons 6 & 7 a dozen times since I bought the DVD box sets years ago.

Once you start on the whole Dominion War it's hard to stop watching till the end. Most of seasons 6 & 7 seemed like one long and awesome continuous episode but there are a handful of great stand alone's as well. I am just finishing season V very shortly and after brother Fifth gets through seaon V episode disscussion I will re-watch 6 & 7 yet again.

Holy cow, you're right. Those DS9 sets came out in 2003! Doesn't feel that long ago. Anyways....That's a great way to say it, seasons six and seven did feel like one continuous episode.

Comment

Originally posted by HirogenGater
                              Holy cow, you're right. Those DS9 sets came out in 2003! Doesn't feel that long ago. Anyways....That's a great way to say it, seasons six and seven did feel like one continuous episode.
                              It seems that it was released earlier than 2003 considering how times I have re-watched them

I am almost done with season V right now I forgot just how many great episodes there were. Season V sets up the whole Dominion war arc while the Klingons and Federation were patching things up to become allies. Great stuff!.

Comment

Once you start on the whole Dominion War it's hard to stop watching till the end. Most of seasons 6 & 7 seemed like one long and awesome continuous episode but there are a handful of great stand alone's as well. I am just finishing season V very shortly and after brother Fifth gets through season V episode discussion I will re-watch 6 & 7 yet again.
                                Well said brother Base, I have said the same exact thing earlier on this thread. Seasons 6 & 7 did seem like one long and great episode that kept developing and becoming more and more interesting. Even during season V you could see the greatness that the Dominion war was going to bring.
                                the Fifth Race

Mod@ www.MMAforumcom

Comment

Working...
                                X