Deep Space 9 Superior

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by the Fifth Race View Post
    LOL, trust me I wouldn't wish LA on anyone. I mean unless you are going to visit Disneyland or Universal Studio's (both are way better in Florida) or an aspiring actor why bother subjecting yourself. That being said, there are some very nice parts of LA that are away from the down town area. - I lived in Brentwood for a 2 1/2 years back in the early 1990's with my girlfriend at the time. She, I and two of her female co-workers rented a small 3 bedroom Spanish style home that was smack in the middle movie-star central ($5900 a month) and about 3 blocks from where OJ massacred his wife and her friend. We used to go eat and hang out at the local Cheese Cake Factory restaurant and bar just to see how many famous people/posers we could spot.

I do go to Atlanta, Miami, Seattle and Oahu once a year for business conventions, are those more to your liking brother jelgate.
    Hah, I hate going into LA, even though I live down here. I'll take the beach and the mountains any day. It's beautiful and peaceful here, unlike Los Angeles. $5900 isn't a whole lot considering it's bentwood. When you split that between 4 people (1475) it's like renting a 2 bed 1 bath apartment in Pasadena.

Comment

Thanx for the kudos for the city I was born and raised in and still live part time. The roots of my family in San Francisco go back to the 1870's when some family members started migrating from Sicily to New York and eventually to the West Coast. Most of them left New York for San Francisco because they were fisherman and knew how great the fishing was here, plus the fact that there were, and still are, a high number of Italians and Sicilians that live in the city. After fishing for 15 years between San Francisco and Alaska on commercial clipper sized ships converted into fishing vessels, my great grandfather managed to save up enough money to open the family seafood wholesale and restaurant business that I now run today. I am the fourth generation to take over the business and we are celebrating 100 years in business this year (est. 1908).

As far as visiting San Francisco as a tourist or for a holiday you can't go wrong. Sure things are rather expensive, but between the beautiful site-seeing, historic landmarks, best food and restaurants, art & museums, Golden Gate Park, very friendly locals, along with the wide variety of great night life and alternative stuff to do, there is literally something for everyone (young and old) here in our little jewel city by the bay.

I didn't even mention stuff to do right outside of city in other parts of Bay Area like touring the Napa/Sonoma Valley Wine Country, Silicon Valley, Oakland, Marin County where Muir Woods and all those Redwood forrests are (and where brothers Starbase, USS Defiant and myself all live), just to mention a few.
      I am sure a vacation to San Fransico will also include a trip to brother Fifth's house.
      Originally posted by aretood2
      Jelgate is right

Comment

LOL, trust me I wouldn't wish LA on anyone. I mean unless you are going to visit Disneyland or Universal Studio's (both are way better in Florida) or an aspiring actor why bother subjecting yourself. That being said, there are some very nice parts of LA that are away from the down town area. - I lived in Brentwood for a 2 1/2 years back in the early 1990's with my girlfriend at the time. She, I and two of her female co-workers rented a small 3 bedroom Spanish style home that was smack in the middle movie-star central ($5900 a month) and about 3 blocks from where OJ massacred his wife and her friend. We used to go eat and hang out at the local Cheese Cake Factory restaurant and bar just to see how many famous people/posers we could spot.

I do go to Atlanta, Miami, Seattle and Oahu once a year for business conventions, are those more to your liking brother jelgate.
        Holy -insert-words-the-censors-will-pick-out-! That's insane!

Comment

Originally posted by Franklyn Blaze View Post
          Hah, I hate going into LA, even though I live down here. I'll take the beach and the mountains any day. It's beautiful and peaceful here, unlike Los Angeles.
          I hear ya brother FB, as much as I was raised a city boy, I still prefer living and spending time in my house in the country/suburbs.
          Originally posted by Franklyn Blaze
          $5900 isn't a whole lot considering it's bentwood. When you split that between 4 people (1475) it's like renting a 2 bed 1 bath apartment in Pasadena.
          LOL, exactly my friend. Every one that seems to be shocked by how much it costs to live here in California (especially in and around LA and SF). The $5900 we payed per month for anything in Brentwood was a deal back then and would be a down right steal today. The only reason we got the house to begin with was that the owner was a family friend of one of my female roommates and he gave us a discounted rate.

When I first landed in Los Angeles to live I hated it, but after spending time it did become home and I even started to become a little bit Hollywood myself. But thankfully I wised up and moved back home just in time before I had given in to the dark-side that is LA living.
          the Fifth Race

Mod@ www.Bodybuilding.com
          Mod@ www.MMAforumcom

Comment

Originally posted by Pitry View Post
            Forgive me as I pick up my jaw from the floor.
            ... and I was complaining about rent prices in Jerusalem...
            Originally posted by Trek_Girl42 View Post
            Holy -insert-words-the-censors-will-pick-out-! That's insane!
            Don't be shocked ladies, just be glad you don't have to pay what we suckers here in California have to pay to buy or rent. I rent my 3 bedroom modest house in Marin County for $5100 a month and before I bought my condo here in San Francisco that I now live in I was renting a 2 bedroom condo in North Beach (near Chinatown in SF) for $4700 a month. You have to make at least $100,000 a year to afford anywhere to live around here and you are going to need to make about double that or have a second income to buy.
            the Fifth Race

Mod@ www.MMAforumcom

Comment

Don't be shocked ladies, just be glad you don't have to pay what we suckers here in California have to pay to buy or rent. I rent my 3 bedroom modest house in Marin County for $5100 a month and before I bought my condo here in San Francisco that I now live in I was renting a 2 bedroom condo in North Beach (near Chinatown in SF) for $4700 a month. You have to make at least $100,000 a year to afford anywhere to live around here and you are going to need to make about double that or have a second income to buy.
              That.....is really beyond imagining for where I'm from. I live in a place where people who come here from all over just marvel at the "bargains" you get on amazing waterfront properties, and we're always "huh?" in response, those prices you mention are just so vastly beyond anything we experience, it's hard to imagine. But *shhhhh* don't tell anyone, don't want too many people to notice and start moving in on us

Comment

Good grief, and they moan about the cost of renting and buying in Vancouver!! San Francisco is comprable to living in parts of London, I never knew it was that expensive. It's such a lovely place it's no surprise really, the only other place I would want to live in after Vancouver.

Speaking of Vancouver, I had a great time at Gatecon. It was an amazing experience, it's hard to think of where to start with all that happened. Suffice to say RDA was a joy to see and meet. He looked liked he really enjoyed himself, so much so he said he would definitely consider coming back next year. The relaxed atmospere of the con made for some great interaction between fans and the guests. There were no embarrasing moments that can ruin cons when it comes to overzealous fans, so it meant the guests could roam around as they would normally without being mobbed and stopped to chat on their own terms or carried on without hindrence, it was great to see.

The tribute to Don S. Davis was wonderful. His wife even made an appearance to share her memories with some of the fans she said he spoke of often and how he appreciated our love of him and his character. There wasn't a dry eye in the room after that, myself included, it was a truly moving experience. This highlighted even more of how much of a 'family' everyone associated with Stargate really is, from the actors and their families, the producers and production crew to the fans.

Corin Nemec told his stories of his encounters with 'Klingons' at one con he attended. I think I posted this before but it's hilarious and I now have a bit I missed the last time he told it. He was going back to his room at the hotel (he was wearing a shirt that mentioned wrestling) A really drunk guy dressed as a Klingon came along, saw the T shirt and challenged him to wrestle him as a 'Klingon' would of course! Corin managed to escape only to end up by the pool and be faced with a hot tub full of 'Klingons' being sung to by the actor who played Flash Gordon in the '80's movie. He was not much better off sober wise than the 'Klingons'! Corin must have been wondering if any part of his life was real by this point I should think, poor guy!

Comment

Wow sounds like you had a great time. I'm a little skittish about those crazed fans. I still think wanting to meet actors is weird. I've seen plenty in my town, they shoot here or next town over for old style 40s, 50's shoots. A few months ago I saw Angelia Jolie and Clint Eastwood while I was picking up birdseed.

Comment

Originally posted by Krisz View Post
                    Good grief, and they moan about the cost of renting and buying in Vancouver!! San Francisco is comprable to living in parts of London, I never knew it was that expensive. It's such a lovely place it's no surprise really, the only other place I would want to live in after Vancouver.
                    Indeed Krisz -- San Francisco, London, Manhattan and Tokyo all have the highest rents anywhere in the world, they also all have the highest cost of living anywhere.

Marin County (where I own my house) which is just North of the city and connects to San Francisco by the Golden Gate Bridge has the highest median house price in the USA (avg. 3 bedroom house = 1.3 million). I could probably sell mine right now for around 1.8 million (bad market and all).

Every time I have visited Vancouver or Victoria I always tell myself that these are two cities I would feel very comfortable living in. And I based that on beauty, clenliness, variety, and most importantly, friendly locals.
                    Originally posted by Trek_Girl42 View Post
                    That.....is really beyond imagining for where I'm from. I live in a place where people who come here from all over just marvel at the "bargains" you get on amazing waterfront properties, and we're always "huh?" in response, those prices you mention are just so vastly beyond anything we experience, it's hard to imagine. But *shhhhh* don't tell anyone, don't want too many people to notice and start moving in on us
                    LOL, I'll be sure and whisper Lady Trek. Up until this recent down-turn in the housing market the expensive prices were moving steadily northward. I have relatives that live in both Oregon and Washington State and they have told me that rental prices were going up and up along with there property values. Alot of Californians have said enough with the housing prices and cost of living around here and have fled north to Oregon, Washington and even British Columbia.
                    the Fifth Race

Mod@ www.MMAforumcom

Comment

Originally posted by Krisz View Post
                      Speaking of Vancouver, I had a great time at Gatecon. It was an amazing experience, it's hard to think of where to start with all that happened. Suffice to say RDA was a joy to see and meet. He looked liked he really enjoyed himself, so much so he said he would definitely consider coming back next year.
                      I have heard that about fans that have met RDA, they all say that he is so nice and friendly and always has time for anyone including the Paparazzi. The TMZ clips I have seen of him hanging out with his family near his Mailibu home just doing his thing are always wonderful and he even enjoys bantering with the Paparazzi.
                      Originally posted by Krisz
                      The relaxed atmospere of the con made for some great interaction between fans and the guests. There were no embarrasing moments that can ruin cons when it comes to overzealous fans, so it meant the guests could roam around as they would normally without being mobbed and stopped to chat on their own terms or carried on without hindrence, it was great to see.
                      That is wonderful to hear Kris. All those Star Trek conventions and the couple Stargate conventions I have been to over the years always had the greatest fans with little to no negativity.

I was wondering and I noticed you didn't mention what the mood was like with the cancellation of Atlantis looming. I am sure there was alot of talk and some angst about this at the Con?. Did you find out any inside information as to what they are going to do as far as direct to DVD movies go?. Is there another Stargate movie in the plans?.
                      the Fifth Race

Mod@ www.MMAforumcom

Comment

Aww, LA bashing and I wasn't here. Well I live in the great San Bernardino County where all we have to worry about is the fires. I like it here, close to everything. And yes, Frisco has the best everything.

Comment

You may live in that county but you're 2 miles from me and I'm in LA county. It's spitting distance! We had fires too as I recall, they must have not seen the county line.

Comment

Originally posted by Franklyn Blaze View Post
                            You may live in that county but you're 2 miles from me and I'm in LA county. It's spitting distance! We had fires too as I recall, they must have not seen the county line.
                            Well my house burned down last time. Damn hillside living.

Comment

Originally posted by Lieutenant Colonel Davis View Post
                              Well my house burned down last time. Damn hillside living.
                              That's what you get for encroaching on nature. I have no sympathy for the people who want to live above us mere commoners. Especially if you had no insurance!

Comment

I was wondering and I noticed you didn't mention what the mood was like with the cancellation of Atlantis looming. I am sure there was alot of talk and some angst about this at the Con?. Did you find out any inside information as to what they are going to do as far as direct to DVD movies go?. Is there another Stargate movie in the plans?.
                                People didn't hear about it when the news first came out. I only found out because I could access GW and read it there. Strangely enough there wasn't much talk about it. Bruce Woloshyn was the only one connected with Stargate that I recall mentioning that there would be an Atlantis movie. It just seems to be generally accepted that everything is moving on to concentrate on Stargate: Universe.

I wonder how many people felt like I did in that it seems like an end of an era and there wasn't really anything we could say. It was made clear that Universe is hoping to introduce Stargate to a younger generation, the question I ask is, what about the existing older fans, no mention about what Universe will be for them?

As always I will give it a chance instead of totally going off on one about what I think it will be like. I could be surprised and stop being annoyed about the show made for the 'younger' audience. Look at me I'm really getting old now, I'm off moaning about this ad nauseaum! LOL!

Comment

Working...
                                X