Deep Space 9 Superior

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by nx01a View Post
    As opposed to Californication, either the RHCP song or the Mulder TV show, both of which are superb and would go well with an 'exotic' dish, like caribbean polenta with steamed flying fish. Mmm. I'm having some for dinner later, but it's not exotic for me.
    LOL, Cf:atomic number 98 is that like related to Latinum.

Are you serious about "Caribbean polenta with steamed flying fish"?. That definetly sounds exotic and tasty, although there is the off chance that you are being yourself and yanking everyone's chain. I always thought that most flying fish are inedible or just way to hard to catch to make them a viable food source.

Comment

Originally posted by Krisz View Post
      I will join Starbase in saying what a great review you've given us for 'Destiny' USS Defiant.
      Why thank you. I try to be very thorough with my reviews but I also do not want to over-load it as well. I usually end up cutting out about 1/3 of what the original review I wrote was going to be. There is a fine balance between being thorough and over-doing it.
      Originally posted by Krisz
      Here though, this event is really about starting Sisko thinking about what is really going on with the 'Emissary' status he had bestowed on him by the Bajorans. Again, is it the 'present' interpretation here or truly a fortold act involving the 'Emissary' of the Prophets? I like the way it left us thinking like Sisko did, that there is definitly something more going on than he first believed and it can no longer be dismissed.
      It not only forced Sisko to re-think the whole Bajoran prophecy thing, it finally opened up his eyes to the fact that he is where he belongs. The look in Kira's eyes when she tries to make Sisko understand and believe that he is the Emissary in this episode is brilliantly done by Nana Visitor. Before Destiny, Kira was good at biting her tongue everytime Sisko scoffed at the idea of being Emissary.
      Originally posted by the Fifth Race View Post
      Sisko was great as the Emissary, balancing his dual role between Starfleet and Bajor as well he can ... "Where you see a sword of stars, I see a comet; where you see vipers, I see three scientists; and where you see the Emissary, I see a Starfleet officer," ... he complains to Kira, after telling her to keep her religion off the bridge of the Defiant.!
      That quote that brother Fifth provides makes the exact point I was talking about how Sisko's attitude about being Emissary started to change after the events of Destiny
      The USS Defiant Rocks!
      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pb1MkhBytFw
      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p8N1P...eature=related
      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uRquZ...eature=related

Comment

Originally posted by Starbase View Post
        LOL, Cf:atomic number 98 is that like related to Latinum.

Are you serious about "Caribbean polenta with steamed flying fish"?. That definetly sounds exotic and tasty, although there is the off chance that you are being yourself and yanking everyone's chain. I always thought that most flying fish are inedible or just way to hard to catch to make them a viable food source.
        I'm quite serious. Well, I love flying fish but I really don't like the 'polenta', which we call 'cou cou' down here, closely related to an African dish called 'fou fou'. The exoticity [is that a word? Looks like 'toxicity'.] of a dish is relative. I hardly have salmon, so eating it at a restaurant is kinda exotic. For a canuck, they're probably sick of it.

Here's the recipe: http://www.foodnetwork.com/food/reci..._25983,00.html

Flying fish are just as easy to catch as any other fish, just net them in schools when they're underwater and not in a holding pattern. Flying fish are most definitely edible, at least the species across the Caribbean. AND delicious! Steamed, fried, stewed... Barbados and Trinidad actually went to UN arbitration to define maritime boundaries; it was claimed it was because of undersea oil and gas reserves, but everyone knows it was really about the migratory patterns of flying fish. Most Caribbean islands' fishing industries are based to a large extent on flying fish.
        Last edited by nx01a; 29 June 2008, 07:28 AM.
        sigpic
        More fun @ Spoofgate!

Comment

I hardly have salmon, so eating it at a restaurant is kinda exotic. For a canuck, they're probably sick of it.
          IMO Salmon is the food of Gods! (especially Pacific Coast Sockeye Salmon and King Salmon). Brother Fifth got me on the Salmon kick as part of our Body-Building muscle diet. I have been eating it at least 2 times a week in 11oz. portions for the last 12 years. Salmon is good BBQ, Baked, Pan Fried, and my favorite Poached with capers.

Brother Fifth has a 21' Boston Wailer fishing boat that we take out for Salmon fishing right outside the Golden Gate Bridge. 2 years ago I caught a 71lb. King Salmon on light tackle with 12lb. test fishing line. Talk about awesome fight, I took almost 2 hours to land that monster while praying my line didn't snap. It was a fat pregnant female loaded with roe, so I gladly released it back so it could spawn.
          Originally posted by nx01a
          Flying fish are just as easy to catch as any other fish, just net them in schools when they're underwater and not in a holding pattern. Flying fish are most definitely edible, at least the species across the Caribbean. AND delicious! Steamed, fried, stewed....
          I have had Caribbean Flying Fish before on one of my many Caribbean cruises I been on. Kind of oily but very tasty, it was prepared steamed with tomatoes and herbs, served over rice.

Wasn't there a big shortage of flying fish back in the 1980's. I seem to remember reading there was big concern that they had all but disappeared. Then they eventually came back a few years later?.
          The USS Defiant Rocks!
          http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pb1MkhBytFw
          http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p8N1P...eature=related
          http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uRquZ...eature=related

Comment

In the 80s, I was... under 10, so I can't say. But they're seasonal for each island because their migratory patterns take them around and around, but we haven't had a genuine shortage for at least a while.

Next time you're on one of these many cruises, let me know. I'll see if you're heading into any nearby ports.
            sigpic
            More fun @ Spoofgate!

Comment

Originally posted by USS Defiant View Post
              IMO Salmon is the food of Gods! (especially Pacific Coast Sockeye Salmon and King Salmon). Brother Fifth got me on the Salmon kick as part of our Body-Building muscle diet. I have been eating it at least 2 times a week in 11oz. portions for the last 12 years. Salmon is good BBQ, Baked, Pan Fried, and my favorite Poached with capers.
              Agreed!. Salmon is probably my favorite fish as well. You just never get sick of eating it. Plus it so chalk full of Essential Fatty Acids (Omega 3,6 & 9) that your heart smiles and your hair, nails and skin positively glow. Nutritionally, Salmon is not only King of the fishes but it also King of all Protein sources, especially for quality muscle mass.
              Originally posted by USS Defiant
              Brother Fifth has a 21' Boston Wailer fishing boat that we take out for Salmon fishing right outside the Golden Gate Bridge. 2 years ago I caught a 71lb. King Salmon on light tackle with 12lb. test fishing line. Talk about awesome fight, I took almost 2 hours to land that monster while praying my line didn't snap. It was a fat pregnant female loaded with roe, so I gladly released it back so it could spawn.
              Amazing catch brother USS Defiant. That fat mother did not want to be caught, don't you just love the way King Salmon fight?. That sucker tipped my scale at 74lbs not 71lbs. NOTE: I release all the fish I catch.
              Originally posted by USS Defiant
              I have had Caribbean Flying Fish before on one of my many Caribbean cruises I been on. Kind of oily but very tasty, it was prepared steamed with tomatoes and herbs, served over rice.

Wasn't there a big shortage of flying fish back in the 1980's. I seem to remember reading there was big concern that they had all but disappeared. Then they eventually came back a few years later?.
              I have also had Flying Fish both on a Caribbean cruise and I have bought it when available through one of the many wholesalers my business uses. Oily indeed!, but tasty and easy to prepare.

I seem to remember a big shortage of Flying Fish back in the 80's myself (were old brother nx). But I seem to remember it was a certain species of flying fish, not the all the species (there are approx. 50+ species of flying fish).
              Last edited by the Fifth Race; 29 June 2008, 11:37 AM.
              the Fifth Race

Mod@ www.Bodybuilding.com
              Mod@ www.MMAforumcom

Comment

I'm quite serious. Well, I love flying fish but I really don't like the 'polenta', which we call 'cou cou' down here, closely related to an African dish called 'fou fou'. The exoticity [is that a word? Looks like 'toxicity'.] of a dish is relative. I hardly have salmon, so eating it at a restaurant is kinda exotic. For a canuck, they're probably sick of it.

Here's the recipe: http://www.foodnetwork.com/food/reci..._25983,00.html

Flying fish are just as easy to catch as any other fish, just net them in schools when they're underwater and not in a holding pattern. Flying fish are most definitely edible, at least the species across the Caribbean. AND delicious! Steamed, fried, stewed... Barbados and Trinidad actually went to UN arbitration to define maritime boundaries; it was claimed it was because of undersea oil and gas reserves, but everyone knows it was really about the migratory patterns of flying fish. Most Caribbean islands' fishing industries are based to a large extent on flying fish.
                That is really interesting about flying fish, that you can eat them, I would never have imagined eating one but it does sound nice. Living in the land of salmon now I can safely say what an absolute joy it is to eat it here. It's totally different to any salmon I had in the UK. Salmon is really expensive there and tastes no where near as good as Pacific salmon. I never used to eat fish that much when I lived in the UK but here on the West Coast it's a totally different experience, fish and shell-fish are so much tastier here.

Battered salmon with chips was a peculiar experience, having been used to Atlantic cod and Haddock in the good old British fish n' chips tradition this came as a real surprise to try. Salmon is BC's cod I guess! LOL!

Comment

Agreed!. Salmon is probably my favorite fish as well. You just never get sick of eating it. Plus it so chalk full of Essential Fatty Acids (Omega 3,6 & 9) that your heart smiles and your hair, nails and skin positively glow. Nutritionally, Salmon is not only King of the fishes but it also King of all Protein sources, especially for quality muscle mass.
                  I beg to differ. As a vegetarian who has to eat fish in order to stay healthy, I am indeed absolutely sick of it.

Comment

Originally posted by Trek_Girl42 View Post
                    I beg to differ. As a vegetarian who has to eat fish in order to stay healthy, I am indeed absolutely sick of it.
                    LOL, I hear ya loud and clear Lady Trek. I feel that way about Smoked Salmon. - I used to love that stuff, but if I even catch a whiff of it today it turns my stomach. And as a person who has been body-building/power lifting and eating a high protein/moderate carb muscle diet for 25 years now, I am completely and utterly sick and oh so fricking tired of chicken breast's, brown rice, broccoli and various protein powders which I eat 3 times a day each as part of my daily 6 balanced meals. That's why on days when Salmon, Beef, Pork Loin or almost any other type of Protein source are on the menu, I am a happy camper.

Speaking of Happy Camper's, I am very happy with this season's Dr. Who, which is shaping up to be my favorite season so far. I recently watched a block of the last 4 episodes and wow, all great especially the last 2. I also didn't care for Donna at all at the beginning of the season, but she is turning out to be one of my favorite characters from the entire series. And let's not forget the Dr. himself - IMHO David Tennant has been off the hook great this season!.
                    the Fifth Race

Mod@ www.MMAforumcom

Comment

LOL, I hear ya loud and clear Lady Trek. I feel that way about Smoked Salmon. - I used to love that stuff, but if I even catch a whiff of it today it turns my stomach. And as a person who has been body-building/power lifting and eating a high protein/moderate carb muscle diet for 25 years now, I am completely and utterly sick and oh so fricking tired of chicken breast's, brown rice, broccoli and various protein powders which I eat 3 times a day each as part of my daily 6 balanced meals. That's why on days when Salmon, Beef, Pork Loin or almost any other type of Protein source are on the menu, I am a happy camper.

Speaking of Happy Camper's, I am very happy with this season's Dr. Who, which is shaping up to be my favorite season so far. I recently watched a block of the last 4 episodes and wow, all great especially the last 2. I also didn't care for Donna at all at the beginning of the season, but she is turning out to be one of my favorite characters from the entire series. And let's not forget the Dr. himself - IMHO David Tennant has been off the hook great this season!.
                      Unfortunately I know exactly what you mean about the smoked salmon- it was always since I was little one of my favourite foods, but now I can't get excited about it. I eat it because I have to, but I don't want to anymore.

What ep are you up to? *will refrain from saying anything else Who-related* Honestly, I'm petrified of spoiling anyone who isn't up to date, so the less said until the season is done the better.

Comment

I was actually a bit disappointed by Dr. Who's library two-parter. But this season as a whole has still been exceptionally strong, imho. Donna's terrific.

I think I'm getting hooked on a new show, Supernatural. I just finished season one on DVD--the cliffhanger! I'm anxiously awaiting Netflix to send me my season two DVDs.

Comment

Originally posted by Trek_Girl42 View Post
                          What ep are you up to? *will refrain from saying anything else Who-related* Honestly, I'm petrified of spoiling anyone who isn't up to date, so the less said until the season is done the better.
                          I'm current with what the scifi channel is showing, another-words I have just finished watching The Library: Parts I & II. If I memory serves me right you are a couple weeks ahead of us watching the episodes online or something?
                          Originally posted by marielabbott View Post
                          I was actually a bit disappointed by Dr. Who's library two-parter. But this season as a whole has still been exceptionally strong, imho. Donna's terrific.
                          I agree Mariel, Donna is terrific, and the dynamic between her and Dr. is so much different (for the better) than prior seasons. I kind of thought The Library: Part I was some what lame, but I really enjoyed the way they concluded the storyline in The Library: Part II. It never ceases to amaze me that Dr. Who can be so utterly ridiculous and cheeky yet brilliant and quite touching all at the same time. I some times feel like I am watching a scifi Monty Python skit, which is always a good thing!.
                          Originally posted by marielabbott
                          I think I'm getting hooked on a new show, Supernatural. I just finished season one on DVD--the cliffhanger! I'm anxiously awaiting Netflix to send me my season two DVDs.
                          Supernatural is a very good show which gets better with each season, you are in for a treat Mariel. You might want to check out another CW Network show that is going in to season II and will paired up with Supernatural on Thursday night's next season called Reaper. It is unique and unlike any scifi/supernatural type show on air today. It is very funny and rather creepy, definetly worth a gander.
                          the Fifth Race

Mod@ www.MMAforumcom

Comment

NOTE: I am headed out of town to the Napa Valley wine country for a few days of "R & R" with the girlfriend. I am resuming the Trek Quizzes next Monday with 3 in a row on back to back to back weeks. I will check in occasionally over the next few days from the laptop.
                            the Fifth Race

Mod@ www.MMAforumcom

Comment

Originally posted by marielabbott View Post

'Supernatural' is a fantastic show!! It stepped nicely for me into the void left by the end of Stargate SG-1 as being a show as riveting in storylines and rich in character development as Stargate and DS9! They film around where I live a lot, I never knew the place I lived in could be so creepy!! Check out the season 1 episode 'The Benders'. The scene where....

Spoiler:
                              Dean is waiting on the bench for the sheriff and they watch the van drive by that makes the weird noise.

That is Maple Ridge's town centre with the theatre and arts centre in the background. I was watching that with my daughter and we sat there for a moment wondering why the place looked so familiar. I do like the way 'Supernatural' tends to shoot more tightly in locations so you can't really place it in a Vancouver location all the time. Given how much is filmed here it's a relief sometimes to not have to look past a place you know for it to be the place the show is set in! Goes to show how well they do it, I didn't notice it was a familiar landmark until the second viewing with my daughter!!

I second Fifth Race's recommendation for 'Reaper'. Hopefully the first season will come out on DVD soon and you can take a look. It's worth watching for it's whacky humour. I think it compliments 'Supernatural' in an odd sort of way!

Have a good break Fifth Race, you lucky thing, Napa Valley, nice!! I can't wait to get back to San Francisco again. I'm starting a new job on Wednesday, I finally found a job after months of searching! Other than a week off for Gatecon I don't know when I next get a holiday but I've had my fill of 'holiday' for a while now! The next one I hope will be a trip to San Francisco.

Comment

I'm current with what the scifi channel is showing, another-words I have just finished watching The Library: Parts I & II. If I memory serves me right you are a couple weeks ahead of us watching the episodes online or something?
                                I agree Mariel, Donna is terrific, and the dynamic between her and Dr. is so much different (for the better) than prior seasons. I kind of thought The Library: Part I was some what lame, but I really enjoyed the way they concluded the storyline in The Library: Part II. It never ceases to amaze me that Dr. Who can be so utterly ridiculous and cheeky yet brilliant and quite touching all at the same time. I some times feel like I am watching a scifi Monty Python skit, which is always a good thing!.
                                Yes, I am "acquiring" them. Since CBC will just murder the eps with edits whenever (if ever) they air them. I adored the library episodes- they had me at "spoilers", my favourite eps of the season so far (and near the ending of the second part, THAT scene between The Doctor and River was I think DT's finest acting of the series, wow that was amazing.), but this past weekend's ep might give them a run for it. I can't decide until I go back and rewatch them all.
                                NOTE: I am headed out of town to the Napa Valley wine country for a few days of "R & R" with the girlfriend. I am resuming the Trek Quizzes next Monday with 3 in a row on back to back to back weeks. I will check in occasionally over the next few days from the laptop.
                                Excellent, looking forward to new quizzes! These laptops are handy things are they? My new macbook is coming this afternoon. *jumps up and down*

Comment

Working...
                                X