Deep Space 9 Superior

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Trek_Girl42 View Post
    Well, if that's true and the PTB made the decision this is getting more than a bit ridiculous. They start writing SGU and they'll run into the same problems as they did with Atlantis- it's a very typical move for them. Find what they're writing isn't working, dump what they *think* (or wish) is the problem, move on to a shiny new toy and repeat the cycle because they never figured out the real problem and how to fix it in the first place.
    I'm not saying this is what happened. however you're welcome to read the the GW interview with BW and several articles regarding the cancellation of Atlantis and the announcement of SGU. I did and came to the aforementioned conclusions. however that's JMO

Originally posted by USS Defiant View Post
    Again you say they don't know what there talking about?,
    yes because most people simply compare numbers without knowing about certain changes in television and immediately blame the ratings for a show's cancellation

what makes you the expert?.
    I'm no expert

If the ratings were better (consistantly over 2.0) they never would have cancelled it.
    maybe but the only show that's currently pulling in 2.0+ live +sd ratings Eureka. here's an example (spoilered for length)
    Spoiler:
    Eureka 2.1
    Ghost Hunters International 1.6
    Dragon Wars 1.5
    ECW 1.4
    Heatstroke 1.3
    Stargate Atlantis 1.3 - The Daedalus Variations
    Dragon Sword 1.1
    Scare Tactics 1.0
    Doctor Who 1.0
    Star Trek: The Next Generation 0.9

Source: Nielsen Galaxy Report, 7/28/08 to 8/3/08

Atlantis seems to be the only successful original sci fi show. btw those are live +sd numbers, NOT live +7

I will compare anything I wish thank you.
    go ahead but you're comparing apples and oranges

I repectfully disagree with your asessment about DVR's being the demise of Atlantis.
    huh? I'm sorry but you must've misread. DVR is definitely NOT the reason for the cancellation

DVR's are the future and some Networks are realizing this by asking for porgramming information from Tivo about what everyone is recording. I even heard the Neilson Rating system is going to start adopting Tivo and other DVR's into there rating system.
    I completely agree

Well maybe if Atlantis' ratings were better SGU would have been developed later or never at all.
    that's pure speculation

I'm sorry for getting irked brother J1, it's not personal, I like you and consider you a good friend.
    same here

- But when someone tells me my or anyone elses opinion is wrong, I stick up for them and myself. You have your opinion, fine, but when you start telling people they're wrong because of what you percieve to be right when the facts are disputed you are going to piss people off.
    look dude I'm in no way saying that your opinion is wrong. I tried to convince you that the ratings weren't the reason for the show's cancellation. you seem to think they were. that's ok. I have no idea who canned Atlantis. some people blame MGM and others SCI FI, personally I believe it was the latter.
    I only replied because you mentioned...
    [...] dying rating, [...]
    ...and I think I've proven that this wasn't the case. both the live +sd and the live +7 numbers improved during s4 and throughout eps 501-505. that's a fact.
    sigpic
    The Sam Carter/Amanda Tapping Thunk thread The Sam/RepliCarter Ship Thread

Comment

Originally posted by nx01a View Post
      I just saw 'The Daedalus Variations' and I enjoyed it greatly.
      Spoiler:
      Good use of all of the 'B team': Lorne, Zelenka, Chuck, even the wonderful Major Marks was mentioned! Special mention to Marks for making Teyla actually look competent! The look of shock on Rodney's face when she actually tuned off the power to that junction! AND she had no malice towards him for looking down on her, despite having 4 years of reasons to look down on her 'technical skill'. And the complete opposite of Teyla was Ronon. While hilariously ironic that he of all people couldn't fire the biggest gun he'd ever handled, it just makes him look stupid for not going to the training AND for resorting to hitting the console. Isn't he more technologically savy than Teyla, being Satedan and all? Then again... never mind. He's the big black thug. Ugh. Rodney didn't save the day in 45 mins, he saved the day in about 4 weeks thanks to his past self. Both Shep's decisions saved the day, the mutual love was great, BUT not asking who the heck the attacking aliens were was dumb! It very well MIGHT happen in our reality, and very likely will. Again: 5 seconds, Shep! Say what's going on!

Shep: "They're the @#!%$, and they were screwed over by the Ancients thousands of years ago. We don't know anything else about th...*" [ship jumps]

Interesting aliens, though the ship looks uninspiring. It reminds me of one from Trek, the Promellian battlecruiser from TNG: "Booby Trap". They're resistant in body and ship, resisting 3 Asgard beams which can take out a Hive ship and multiple shots from P90s and Ronon's gun. Their weapons seem plasma-like, not unlike the Asgard beams, perhaps explaining their ability to take down Atlantis' shields so quickly. Even multiple Wraith hive ships couldn't do that. Little blinky light in the forehead. The episode seemed like yet another 'There But For The Grace Of God', following the season 4 finale being in the same vein. Perhaps this new alien threat is what future Rodney and Lorne were discussing about a threat to the Milky Way? Anyway, just showing us the enemy in another reality takes away from first meeting them in our reality and it feels like cheating after the third or fourth time the plot device is used. Still, I enjoyed the episode for the interesting 'quantum leap' element, the b team, and Teyla FINALLY being useful!
      The problem I had with ...
      Spoiler:
      Teyla knowing what to do in that scene that surprised Rodney bugged me. -- Earlier in the episode it portrayed her as being clueless around any of the tech stuff inside of Atlantis. I mean did they forget that scene, or did the writers do that on purpose. Personally Teyla is neither here nor there for me. -- She is good one week and mediocre the next. I do like her demeanor and her character is rather cool, maybe it's that crappy writing alot of us seem to believe is behind Atlantis' demise?.
      The USS Defiant Rocks!
      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pb1MkhBytFw
      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p8N1P...eature=related
      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uRquZ...eature=related

Comment

The problem I had with ...
        Spoiler:
        Teyla knowing what to do in that scene that surprised Rodney bugged me. -- Earlier in the episode it portrayed her as being clueless around any of the tech stuff inside of Atlantis. I mean did they forget that scene, or did the writers do that on purpose. Personally Teyla is neither here nor there for me. -- She is good one week and mediocre the next. I do like her demeanor and her character is rather cool, maybe it's that crappy writing alot of us seem to believe is behind Atlantis' demise?.
        Yup, I agree.
        Spoiler:
        It's not the fact that Teyla was learning that stuff, but that she just all of a sudden knew it. No mention before about her taking an interest, nothing. They just randomly gave her those abilities because she would otherwise have had nothing to do in the episode! As usual.

I actually started to like Teyla in season four- she was very good in "Missing". Sadly it took Rachel Luttrell getting pregnant for the writers to give Teyla a storyline, and don't get me started on the overdone "special" baby thing. But at least Teyla had something to do last season.

Comment

In terms of Teyla in this episode...
          Spoiler:
          I think the out of the blue savy worked well. It shocked me, and I was pleasantly surprised. Seeing her working towards getting that proficient would have deflated the happy shock of that moment. The point now is to be consistent with her using technology around the base, etc. Teyla for new commander of Atlantis!

Come on, guys! You know who I mean! Don't let the snippy SGA talk ruin the good will we normally have on this thread! What would Odo and Quark say?
          sigpic
          More fun @ Spoofgate!

Comment

Odo: I always interogate Quark
            Originally posted by aretood2
            Jelgate is right

Comment

Spoiler:
              I think the out of the blue savy worked well. It shocked me, and I was pleasantly surprised. Seeing her working towards getting that proficient would have deflated the happy shock of that moment. The point now is to be consistent with her using technology around the base, etc. Teyla for new commander of Atlantis!

Spoiler:
              TEYLA: Colonel. Atlantis is back. I’m picking them up on the sensors.
              (She types on the console. John looks at her.)
              SHEPPARD: You know how to work this stuff?
              TEYLA: The last time the Daedalus was in orbit, Major Marks generously offered to give both of us ... (she looks at Ronon) ... some preliminary training.
              DEX (smiling sarcastically at her): I was busy.

Come on, guys! You know who I mean! Don't let the snippy SGA talk ruin the good will we normally have on this thread! What would Odo and Quark say?
              that wasn't my intention
              sigpic

Comment

Ok. Guys? Y'all ok? good.
                Originally posted by jelgate View Post
                Odo: I always interogate Quark
                You're not helping!
                sigpic
                More fun @ Spoofgate!

Comment

Ok. Guys? Y'all ok? good.
                  yup so when are you gonna watch GitM?
                  sigpic

Comment

Spoiler:
                    Let me clarify brother nx....
                    Spoiler:
                    I have no problem with Teyla having a technology jones or her being tech savvy. The problem I had was that in the beginning of the episode she was lost when put in to a postion or having to deal with tech gadgets and stuff. Then all of sudden there is this 360 degree turn around later in the episode when she instinctively knew what to do to help Rodney. I mean come on, make up your minds, it made no sense to me that they portrayed her both ways?. Almost like they forget to edit something out or leave something in that would explain the sudden change.

Again I have no problem with Teyla or her being suddenly tech smart. Now if Ronan all of sudden started playing with computers and coming up with solutions other than kicking alien azz, I will tune Atlantis out for good.
                    Originally posted by nx01
                    I apologize for my "snippiness". I usually don't let myself get worked up, but there was something in what brother J1 was saying that made me call him out. I usually get that way when I percieve when someone comes across as I'm right and everyone else is wrong. Did I over react?, maybe. Do I wish I hadn't, probably. Do I think it was worth it, not if brother J1 doesn't love me anymore.
                    Last edited by USS Defiant; 25 August 2008, 06:17 PM.
                    The USS Defiant Rocks!

Comment

Please, daddy! Stop arguing with mommy!I don't want my home to be broken!

I was a bit distracted in the beginning of the episode, I shall rewatch and take note of any inconsistencies with Teyla's
                      Spoiler:
                      tech
                      levels.
                      sigpic
                      More fun @ Spoofgate!

Comment

Its funny what you guys are saying about SGA. I feel the same way when watching the Treks with the exception of DS9
                        Last edited by jelgate; 25 August 2008, 06:21 PM.
                        Originally posted by aretood2
                        Jelgate is right

Comment

Well I'm a bit biased toward ST. And they are all spoken of in the past tense so there's no real reason to nitpick to death.

Comment

There's always hope! Trek died once before, but the fans brought it back. Besides, we're getting movies now! prequels, sure, but still...
                            That is not dead that can eternal lie... etc.
                            sigpic
                            More fun @ Spoofgate!

Comment

I apologize for my "snippiness". I usually don't let myself get worked up, but there was something is what brother J1 was saying that made me call him out. I usually get the way when I percieve when someone comes across as I'm right and everyone else is wrong. Did I over react?, maybe. Do I wish I hadn't, probably. Do I think it was worth it, not if brother J1 doesn't love me anymore.
                              um yeah I still love you anyway I wanna apologize aswell. this is the DS9 Superior thread, we can talk about ratings in the appropriate parts of the forum

question: how do you think the quality of DS9 changed throughout the years? is it easier to find standout eps in the earlier seasons?

Please, daddy! Stop arguing with mommy!I don't want my home to be broken!

I was a bit distracted in the beginning of the episode, I shall rewatch and take note of any inconsistencies with Teyla's
                              Spoiler:
                              tech
                              levels.
                              LOL

Its funny what you guys are saying about SGA. I feel the same way when watching the Treks with the exception of DS
                              ST is awesome! SG-1 is awesome! SGA is awesome! JMO of course
                              sigpic

Comment

There's always hope! Trek died once before, but the fans brought it back. Besides, we're getting movies now! prequels, sure, but still...
                                That is not dead that can eternal lie... etc.
                                The Star Trek franchise isn't going anywhere fast. It is going to outlive you, me and everyone else. They will be making new Star Trek television series, movies and whatever other great internet type shows we might get in the future hundreds of years from now. It is way to entertaining and far to popular for Paramount to leave it off of television for good.

Personally I think we are at least 5-10 years away from another Trek television relaunch and maybe less if Star Trek XI is a good movie and hugely popular.
                                Its funny what you guys are saying about SGA. I feel the same way when watching the Treks with the exception of DS9
                                I know what you mean brother jelgate, I kind of feel the same way.
                                The USS Defiant Rocks!

Comment

Working...
                                X