Deep Space 9 Superior

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Missster.Freeman
    Although, it was cool to see a celtic cousin being given a (non stereotypical) role as chief of operations/engineering.
    Aw naw, sorry, I should've clarified that better. When I said celtic cousin, I meant having an Irishman onboard. I liked the fact he was just there, but happened to be Irish.

Originally posted by Wolf Eire
    Actually he was a stereotype. For a long time Scotland had more universities than England and traditionally engineers in the UK were Scottish and engineers on Royal Navy ships tended to be Scottish. This became a TV cliché and Scotty was a reflection of that. Granted he didn't come onto the bridge wearing a kilt holding a can of Irn Bru and a fried Mars Bar. But he was a wee bit of a stereotype. As far as I know Jimmy Doohan was a 2nd generation Irish born in Canada.
    I agree with you there, I saw all the cliches in Scotty, but I was proud that there was a Scot represented in a future universe. Us Scots have been stereotyped for years, and it still happens. In all the old police series from the seventies, there’s always a drunken Scotsman slouched in a gutter. And quiz shows, don't get me started on those, grr… Every time there’s a Scotsman on the show, they just have to stuff him into a kilt and parade him in front of the camera.

Getting back to the episode reviews, will you be reviewing season 2 soon Fifth, along with Starbase? It'll be a wee while before I catch up, but carry on reviewing. I like reading everyone's opinion of the episodes.
    "Captain, you almost make me believe in luck."

Comment

Us Scots have been stereotyped for years, and it still happens. In all the old police series from the seventies, there’s always a drunken Scotsman slouched in a gutter. And quiz shows, don't get me started on those, grr… Every time there’s a Scotsman on the show, they just have to stuff him into a kilt and parade him in front of the camera.
      True. What's bugging me at the moment is the new Dr Who is a SCOTSMAN but they've apparently got him speaking Mockney!
      sigpic
      "Ce qui ressemble a l'amour est toujours de l'amour." - Tristan Bernard

Comment

How did all of you get involved in DS9? For me, I started watching Voyager first. I saw Future’s End and was hooked into Star Trek. I was aware of Trek but was never really into it. I then started to watch DS9 on WGN on Saturdays. I remember I used to get out at 3pm from work and I would get a hot dog from a local hot dog joint and go home to watch Hercules the Legendary Hourneys and DS9. Ahh, good memories. I started to watch DS9 around the time of Sacrifice of Angels I believe. I was crazy enough to buy all seven seasons of my two favorite trek shows, Voyager and DS9.

Comment

^I've said it on here before, but a friend recommened it to me when i said i was watching a bit of Voyager. To quote Adam: "the fleet action's immense. once the whole Dominion war starts, it's amazin'!" And he was right. T'is immense.

The center of Khlysty surrounds me

Comment

Originally posted by HirogenGater
            How did all of you get involved in DS9? For me, I started watching Voyager first. I saw Future’s End and was hooked into Star Trek. I was aware of Trek but was never really into it. I then started to watch DS9 on WGN on Saturdays. I remember I used to get out at 3pm from work and I would get a hot dog from a local hot dog joint and go home to watch Hercules the Legendary Hourneys and DS9. Ahh, good memories. I started to watch DS9 around the time of Sacrifice of Angels I believe. I was crazy enough to buy all seven seasons of my two favorite trek shows, Voyager and DS9.

I got into DS9 because I had watched TOS in reruns as kid and then loved TNG, so basically it was just natural that I would watch DS9 as I did Voyager and Enterprise. After reading about the concept of DS9, about how its based on a station as compared to a ship, how the it was going to concentrate on characterizations of different races and species. I knew from watching the first season the show had alot of potential and would eventually become my favorite and what I personally consider the smartest and best Trek series yet!.
            the Fifth Race

Mod@ www.Bodybuilding.com
            Mod@ www.MMAforumcom

Comment

When the TNG premiered, I was a snob and thought it can't be as good as the original so missed the first half of season 1. Then I started watching it and thought, dork, you should have watched from the beginning. So, when I read DS9 was going to start, I made sure I watched from the first episode and was hooked.
              sigpic

Comment

Getting back to the episode reviews, will you be reviewing season 2 soon Fifth, along with Starbase? It'll be a wee while before I catch up, but carry on reviewing. I like reading everyone's opinion of the episodes.

I will post up some season II episodes tomorrow brother MF. I know Fifth is right in the middle of season II now. I also enjoy reading the replies on this great thread!, alot of smart and knowledgable brethern on GW and in the ST section in paticular!.

Anyone ever been to the DS9 Quark's bar in the Hilton in Las Vegas?. I was tghere years ago and had a blast!. The characters in costume were impressive and very realistic. I even got to meet Odo and Quark look alikes

Comment

Originally posted by Starbase
                  I will post up some season II episodes tomorrow brother MF. I know Fifth is right in the middle of season II now. I also enjoy reading the replies on this great thread!, alot of smart and knowledgable brethern on GW and in the ST section in paticular!.
                  I am half way through re-watching season II right now, I have made some notes and selected a few episodes I love so far. I will post a few up tomorrow or later today.

Originally posted by starbase
                  Anyone ever been to the DS9 Quark's bar in the Hilton in Las Vegas?. I was tghere years ago and had a blast!. The characters in costume were impressive and very realistic. I even got to meet Odo and Quark look alikes
                  I went there years ago when they first opened it up, I loved it!. It not only looked like the studio set of DS9 but like you mentioned brother Base, the characters that worked there and even quite a few tourists that were dressed up looked realistic and awesome!. We had a Cardassian serve us our drinks
                  the Fifth Race

Mod@ www.MMAforumcom

Comment

Like brother Fifth, I watched TOS on re-runs around the late 1970s, early 80s and the animated series. I was also into the big screen versions of Star Trek. The first time I saw trailers for TNG was on “The Voyage Home” video release, way back about 1987.

I have to say, the first time I saw the trailer I felt the same way as Kliggins. I thought, how dare they replace the original crew, the captain’s an old baldy, and what’s up with the Enterprise? It looks all squashed up! How wrong could I have been! I changed my tune when I saw the Enterprise do the saucer separation in “Encounter at Farpoint”. When I first heard about DS9, obviously I just followed through and watched it from the beginning. We were totally spoiled for choice of sci-fi TV during the 90s.

Comment

Originally posted by Starbase

Cool, thanks Starbase. Season 2 is a bit vague for me at the minute.

Hey, I didn't know about Quark's bar. I'll have to ask my aunt about it. She lives in Las Vegas.

Comment

DS9 became my favourite trek when the war begin, before that happened it was Voyager
                        Originally posted by G.B Shaw
                        Silence is the most perfect expression of scorn.
                        Martyrdom is the only way in which a man can become famous without ability.
                        Criminals do not die by the hands of the law. They die by the hands of other men.
                        You'll never have a quiet world till you knock the patriotism out of the human race.
                        Americans adore me and will go on adoring me until I say something nice about them.
                        One man that has a mind and knows it can always beat ten men who haven't and don't.
                        You see things; and you say, 'Why?' But I dream things that never were; and I say, "Why not?"
                        The liar's punishment is not in the least that he is not believed but that he cannot believe anyone else.
                        www.7-scales.co.uk
                        http://twitter.com/7Scales

Comment

Like brother Fifth, I watched TOS on re-runs around the late 1970s, early 80s and the animated series. I was also into the big screen versions of Star Trek. The first time I saw trailers for TNG was on “The Voyage Home” video release, way back about 1987.

I have to say, the first time I saw the trailer I felt the same way as Kliggins. I thought, how dare they replace the original crew, the captain’s an old baldy, and what’s up with the Enterprise? It looks all squashed up! How wrong could I have been! I changed my tune when I saw the Enterprise do the saucer separation in “Encounter at Farpoint”. When I first heard about DS9, obviously I just followed through and watched it from the beginning. We were totally spoiled for choice of sci-fi TV during the 90s.

We were spoiled in 90's my friend!, The pinnacle was when TNG was in it's sixth season and DS9 was just starting. We had two years of new episodes from two different Trek series. Not to mention Babylon 5, Farscape, Voyager and of course Stargate, also like you mentioned we had a great group of scifi movies that came out in the 90's. The 90's just might have been the best time ever (so far) for scifi.
                          the Fifth Race

Mod@ www.MMAforumcom

Comment

Originally posted by ARMS
                            DS9 became my favourite trek when the war begin, before that happened it was Voyager

Welcome to the DS9 superior thread ARMS!. Any ST fan (especially DS9) is welcome anytime here!.

We are just starting season episode discussions, I am going to post up some season II episodes in the next couple days, please join in or add your choices. Also give us your favorite top 10 characters from DS9 and a brief explanation why, it would be much appreciated (this goes for anyone browsing through the thread)
                            the Fifth Race

Mod@ www.MMAforumcom

Comment

Did any of you ever hear that the race hunting Tosk in 'Captive Persuit' were supposed to be part of the Dominion and that they were meant to appear on a Dominion ship in a Season 4 episode but they changed their mind as they didn't want to confuse the audience?

Comment

Originally posted by Wolf Eire
                                Did any of you ever hear that the race hunting Tosk in 'Captive Persuit' were supposed to be part of the Dominion and that they were meant to appear on a Dominion ship in a Season 4 episode but they changed their mind as they didn't want to confuse the audience?

Interesting brother Wolf, I don't ever remember reading anything about that. It seems that Voyager stole the Tosk hunting alien idea when they came up with the Hirogen. If they were anything like the Hirogen, the Tosk hunting aliens were probably leaders/loaners not followers and would have thumbed there nose at the Dominion soldiers or try to use them as prey for there hunting.
                                the Fifth Race

Mod@ www.MMAforumcom

Comment

Working...
                                X