Deep Space 9 Superior

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Starbase View Post
    I tend to agree brother CF. Initially I found the Bajorans somewhat interesting, nothing special, but after getting to know Kira, Bareil, Winn Adami, and others, it all changed. Each season revealed a new layer to Bajor and it's people, and like you stated, they became as familiar (if not more so) than the Klingons.

The writers for DS9 diligently payed attention to the details, they created new races and expanded on existing ones with new and exciting information we never saw on any of the other shows. Like brother Fifth Race has said in the past - "If Roddenberry had lived long enough to see the end of DS9, I have little doubt he would have been proud of how it turned out". After all the end of the Dominion War reined in a new era of that Utopian type structure he strove for.
    It really helped that almost all Bajoran women we encountered were really strong characters and I'm not just talking about being tough and fiery. The women were interesting, multifacted, and had lots of depth, with Kira and Ro being the most prominent examples. But Lupaza was part of that too. I always loved her appearances, especially when she was with Furel.

Originally posted by SpinningChevron View Post
    ahhh thank you *kicks myself repeatedly* its even one of the ones I like too
    Originally posted by J-Whitt Remastered View Post
    Same here. I knew the name just not the season. I was thinking it was later in the series. Season six or so.
    Worst Case Scenario was part of a very good block of episodes near the end of Voyager's third season which included Scorpion and Distant Origin. Now if Voyager had followed up on the Voth, that would have made for some excellent episodes. The Voth had advanced stealth technology and transwarp engines, not to mention the fact that they could transport entire starships. They were among the most powerful aliens depicted in Trek lore. I dare say that if the Dominion ever encountered them, they'd be making a terrible mistake in pissing off the Voth central authority.

Originally posted by nx01a View Post
    My point was that the expensive battle sequences weren't what the Dominion War was built on. The crew's reaction to the events of the war was. The same thing could have been done with a Fed civil war/secession story, not to mention having DS9 serving as the focal point to try and keep the Fed together. Cut out promenade scenes [which usually feature lotsa funky aliens anyway] and you've got money for Federation ambassadors and delegates. And stuff for most of the 'big' races has been since TNG, not just Klingon stuff.
    I quite enjoy 'Journey to Babel'. Ithenites.
    Ah Ithenites. Interesting little guys. We had almost no mention of them at all in Trek lore, aside from when Daniels talked about the future Federation in Azati Prime.
    Last edited by Cold Fuzz; 17 February 2011, 09:06 PM.
    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Cold Fuzz View Post
      Worst Case Scenario was part of a very good block of episodes near the end of Voyager's third season which included Scorpion and Distant Origin. Now if Voyager had followed up on the Voth, that would have made for some excellent episodes. The Voth had advanced stealth technology and transwarp engines, not to mention the fact that they could transport entire starships. They were among the most powerful aliens depicted in Trek lore. I dare say that the if the Dominion ever encountered them, they'd be making a terrible mistake in pissing off the Voth central authority.

Ah Ithenites. Interesting little guys. We had almost no mention of them at all in Trek lore, aside from when Daniels talked about the future Federation in Azati Prime.
      'Before and After' to 'Scorpion' pt 1... One of the best stretches of episodes on Voyager ever. It really showed what the show was capable of when written well: everything from comedy to action to introspection.

We don't know if there's more than one Voth city ship. If it's only that one, then the Dominion fleet'll pound on it until it gives. If there're more city ships, the Dominion are in trouble.

'Azati Prime' never ceases to make me smile on many levels. When ENT was good, it was spectacularly good.
      sigpic
      More fun @ Spoofgate!

Comment

Season two's kinda better. Some high points and some low points. Bashir sorta became less annoying, but still kinda annoying. I still don't like the Bjorans. hmm Dominion, that'll be interesting. Garak is interesting. Ducat was pretty cool with that Marquis thing, how he handled the situation, really stepped up to the plate.

This might have been discussed but could those replicators replicate the currency Quark is so fond of?

Comment

Gold pressed latinium can not not be replicated which is why its a currency.
          Originally posted by aretood2
          Jelgate is right

Comment

Why not? Special properties or something we should just accept without question?

Comment

Originally posted by jmoz View Post
              Why not? Special properties or something we should just accept without question?
              From what I remember, latinum is naturally a liquid but for ease of distribution, it's dispensed in gold—bars, bricks, and the like. There wasn't anything specific about it other than it can't be replicated.
              sigpic

Comment

My point was that the expensive battle sequences weren't what the Dominion War was built on. The crew's reaction to the events of the war was. The same thing could have been done with a Fed civil war/secession story, not to mention having DS9 serving as the focal point to try and keep the Fed together. Cut out promenade scenes [which usually feature lotsa funky aliens anyway] and you've got money for Federation ambassadors and delegates. And stuff for most of the 'big' races has been since TNG, not just Klingon stuff.
                I quite enjoy 'Journey to Babel'. Ithenites.
                But all those promenade scenes use pre-existing aliens so they could re-use stuff from old episodes. You would be surprised at how much stuff they recycle to save money. Sure they could reuse costumes and prosthetics for a lot of the races like the Bolians, Benzites, Vulcans, etc., but they would need to make new costumes, props, and sets for other races. Not to mention the fact that they would need to make new ship models, which would be very expensive.

Comment

Originally posted by jelgate View Post
                  Of course it matters. Its important to know the intent of the writing
                  In writin the most imporant thing is the effect on the reader/viewer. Not the particular inspiration.

Comment

True. But knowing the intent may change the interpretation, although that's not always the case and may work to the disadvantage of the writer too.
                    sigpic

Comment

'Before and After' to 'Scorpion' pt 1... One of the best stretches of episodes on Voyager ever. It really showed what the show was capable of when written well: everything from comedy to action to introspection.

*SNIP*
                      Ahh... "Before and After" one of my favorite Trek episodes. Definitely up there with "The Visitor" and "In the Pale Moonlight"
                      "Goodbye Eli Wallace, you're a good man."
                      - imlad, from http://www.readandfindout.com/

Comment

Before and After, up there with The Visitor and In the Pale Moonlight?

Certainly I'm not much of a Voyager fan, but I do think it had some pretty solid episodes. Nothing on quite that par though!
                        "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

Too bad they failed to properly follow up on "Before and After." Again due to executive meddling, which got rid of Kes.

Comment

Oh yeah, that annoyed me. I sort of understand why they wanted to introduce Seven of Nine, but surely they didn't have to get rid of Kes to do that?
                            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by DigiFluid View Post
                              Before and After, up there with The Visitor and In the Pale Moonlight?

Certainly I'm not much of a Voyager fan, but I do think it had some pretty solid episodes. Nothing on quite that par though!
                              It wasn't quite up there on par, but it was damn close IMO. It was one of the best of the series certainly.
                              "Goodbye Eli Wallace, you're a good man."
                              - imlad, from http://www.readandfindout.com/

Comment

Originally posted by maneth View Post
                                Oh yeah, that annoyed me. I sort of understand why they wanted to introduce Seven of Nine, but surely they didn't have to get rid of Kes to do that?
                                I think they did.
                                Ratings were suffering and as much as people may not like "executive meddling" writers shouldn't be given leashes to hang themselves. They are working on the effects of viewer ship. I was disappointed to see Kes go but she really wasn't contributing anything interesting to the show...

I hesitate to say it but as much as I liked her I don't think she was crucial to the crew and little she did made any difference other than to be a source of contention which was now played out. I really like how they sent her off...I really hated how they brought her back.

Comment

Working...
                                X