Deep Space 9 Superior

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jelgate View Post
    If anything SGU felt like DS9 to me with its darker storylines and more three dimensional characters. But Americans would rather watch their reality tv
    I kind of get a slight DS9/VOY feel from SGU (which is a good thing). At least it has moved away from the BSG feel the series had in the beginning. I'm still not sure thios show is going to make it. I would rather see the SyFy Network dumped money into SGU instead of Eureka or especially that pile they call Sanctuary (what a lame show).
    the Fifth Race

Mod@ www.Bodybuilding.com
    Mod@ www.MMAforumcom

Comment

Originally posted by the Fifth Race View Post
      I kind of get a slight DS9/VOY feel from SGU (which is a good thing). At least it has moved away from the BSG feel the series had in the beginning. I'm still not sure thios show is going to make it. I would rather see the SyFy Network dumped money into SGU instead of Eureka or especially that pile they call Sanctuary (what a lame show).
      Its not. SyFy already cancelled SGU while that pile you call it will probably get a 4th season. I don't really blame SyFy for this one. Whatever the reason (and their are several) the numbers just weren't there.

Now that the DS9 rewatch is over I have to ask again for another quiz. Just look at brother Defiant over there he is getting cocky. But seriously if you say no I understand given the personal reason you gave last time especially this close to the holidays
      Originally posted by aretood2
      Jelgate is right

Comment

Originally posted by nx01a View Post
        It's interesting to parallel Stargate and Star Trek. Here's how I see it...

TOS/movies = Stargate the movie [The original that started it all.]
        TNG/movies = SG1/dvd movies & SGA seasons 1-3 [The revival that really soared beyond the original, and the spin-off that broke some of the rules in a good way.]
        VOY = SGA s 4-5 [TPTB got lazy and bored.]
        ENT = SGU [TPTB tried something completely different and failed miserably at first, only to make the show great in the end... but the damage of their folly had already been done.]
        This is the only part of your 'parallel' I agree with
        "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

Originally posted by jelgate View Post
          If anything SGU felt like DS9 to me with its darker storylines and more three dimensional characters. But Americans would rather watch their reality tv

Not in the slightest.
          SGU was bickering, complaining and lust...what was that one episode of DS9 when Troi pulled a Sarek?

(which was perhaps the funniest trek I'd ever seen)

But SGU died for a reason. DS9 was sucessfull for just the opposite reason.

Comment

I am a big James Darren fan (his singing more than his acting) LOL As much as loved the way his hologram character was used, his acting left a little to be desired. I saw Darren perform live a few times, he used to be a regular at the Festa Italia they used to hold in Pier 45 at Fisherman's Wharf. The best was the year that we got Tony Bennet, James Darren and Cyndy Lauper top perform all on the same night (circa 1987). Of course Tony Bennet brought the house down with his amazing voice. He has got to be the best crooner of all time.
            Tony Bennett, James, Darren, and Cyndi Lauper... Wow, that was quite a line-up. I knew the producers had James Darren come in for his singing more than his acting but overall that was OK by me as he had an interesting USO-style impact in the later seasons because of the Dominion War. I was thinking that Jake spending time with Vic for writing purposes could've been an interesting subplot.
            Last edited by Cold Fuzz; 17 December 2010, 09:25 PM.
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by DigiFluid View Post
              This is the only part of your 'parallel' I agree with
              I thought it was quite insightful and on-the-money.
              You disagree? How would you compare the franchises?
              sigpic
              More fun @ Spoofgate!

Comment

I thought it was quite insightful and on-the-money.
                You disagree? How would you compare the franchises?
                I just don't feel that they're particularly comparable franchises.

The Stargate film was silly popcorn fare, mediocrity that launched something greater. TOS is legendary, cutting, smart, and ahead of its time. I'd be willing to stake money that to this day it's probably more widely liked than any of its successor series.

SG-1, like I already said, was in every conceivable way better than its predecessor. TNG is different in comparison to TOS. To compare TNG to TOS it's perhaps best to look to Picard describing the Stargazer to Scotty: "In every measurable sense, my Enterprise is far superior. But there are times when I would give almost anything... to command the Stargazer again."

I would compare SGU not to Enterprise, but rather to DS9. I don't feel that SGU failed at any point in its run, I can honestly say that there isn't a single episode of the show I dislike. Like DS9, I feel that SGU started off well, but ultimately changed its timbre into something more broadly appealing. DS9, however, was not being presided over by the nincompoops running Syfylis, and was allowed to play its story out.
                "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

I can see some of your logic, but SGU certainly had episodes I'll never watch again [Earth, Life].

If this 'BSG: Blood and Chrome' series doesn't get off the ground, there will be no more spaceships on TV. At least I have hundreds of Trek episodes to keep me sane.
                  sigpic
                  More fun @ Spoofgate!

Comment

Off Topic:

Star Trek Online has the New Contest up for the Next Enterprise Designation "F"

I just added my submission.
                    Take an look at all the others andd vote
                    <hotlinking snipped>

Comment

Originally posted by Cold Fuzz View Post
                      Tony Bennett, James, Darren, and Cyndi Lauper... Wow, that was quite a line-up. I knew the producers had James Darren come in for his singing more than his acting but overall that was OK by me as he had an interesting USO-style impact in the later seasons because of the Dominion War. I was thinking that Jake spending time with Vic for writing purposes could've been an interesting subplot.
                      The Vic character did play a USO type of a role (I never looked at it like that in those terms). Vic's interactions with the crew was fantastic, I just have a hard time trying to figure out the logic of bringing in a Vic character (although the USO angle makes a lot of sense), good catch amigo.

IMHO Vic's best moment came when he was dealing with Nog and his angst over losing his leg and his place in the universe, great stuff! (It was also one of Aaron Eisenberg's [Nog] finest moments from the entire series.
                      the Fifth Race

Mod@ www.MMAforumcom

Comment

I can see some of your logic, but SGU certainly had episodes I'll never watch again [Earth, Life].
                        Word! heaping pile comes to mind.
                        Originally posted by nx01a
                        If this 'BSG: Blood and Chrome' series doesn't get off the ground, there will be no more spaceships on TV. At least I have hundreds of Trek episodes to keep me sane.
                        LOL, well said brother nx.
                        the Fifth Race

Mod@ www.MMAforumcom

Comment

Originally posted by Cold Fuzz View Post
                          The Vic character did play a USO type of a role (I never looked at it like that in those terms). Vic's interactions with the crew was fantastic, I just have a hard time trying to figure out the logic of bringing in a Vic character (although the USO angle makes a lot of sense), good catch amigo.
                          I never made the connection between Vic & a USO-type thing either. Makes sense if you think about it.

Comment

The Stargate film was silly popcorn fare, mediocrity that launched something greater. TOS is legendary, cutting, smart, and ahead of its time. I'd be willing to stake money that to this day it's probably more widely liked than any of its successor series.
                            I agree with you about the Stargate films being rather schlocky ("popcorn fare"). I also agree that TOS is probably the most advanced scifi show of its time to ever be made (modern scifi on television owes a lot, if not everything to Roddenberry and TOS) - But IMHO TNG, DS9 & VOY (while not being as ground-breaking), are far superior to TOS (and I just don't mean the better special fx and better stage sets). TOS will always be the first, but what came after will live on with all the respect of the original.

I can literally see a future (in 500 years or so) - where we will be watching the 38th version of a Star Trek television series, after the new movie Star Trek: LXXXVII just came out. And when someone from that age wants to re-watch some old school Trek, they will choose to watch TNG, DS9 and VOY before they reach for TOS (just like they do today).
                            Originally posted by DigiFluid
                            I feel that SGU started off well, but ultimately changed its timbre into something more broadly appealing. DS9, however, was not being presided over by the nincompoops running Syfylis, and was allowed to play its story out.
                            I could not agree more with that startement brother Digi.
                            the Fifth Race

Mod@ www.MMAforumcom

Comment

IMHO Vic's best moment came when he was dealing with Nog and his angst over losing his leg and his place in the universe, great stuff! (It was also one of Aaron Eisenberg's [Nog] finest moments from the entire series.
                              Originally posted by Fan-e-Gate View Post
                              I never made the connection between Vic & a USO-type thing either. Makes sense if you think about it.
                              Yeah, when DS9 was on the air and Vic first appeared, the I thought he seemed out of place. But as he made more appearances on the show, the USO angle fit him very well. I thought, "Well, there's a war on, and they need somebody to help out with morale." I was reminded of some of Bob Hope's appearances in military footage especially with The Siege of AR-558 and It's Only a Paper Moon. Military history has been a great interest of mine since I was a boy and Bob Hope had a certain niche with US troops and the USO in the past. Vic, in a very futuristic way, filled the same niche.
                              sigpic

Comment

DS9, however, was not being presided over by the nincompoops running Syfylis, and was allowed to play its story out.
                                *giggle* Is there a cure for that? Should I call Dr. Bashir?
                                sigpic
                                More fun @ Spoofgate!

Comment

Working...
                                X