Deep Space 9 Superior

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Micropot View Post
    I wholeheartedly agree with this thread as I believe DS9 is the best Star Trek series by far, hell that is why I have all 7 seasons on video! The best part of DS9 had to be the Dominion War, it just gave the series that pinch on reality which showed that even the Federation isn't perfect. My favourite episode has got to be the Seige of AR558, if you haven't watched recently watch it again and if you have watch again anyway it is just that great.
    which episode was that
    sigpic
    Many thanks to geekywraith for the wonderful sig

Comment

I whole heartedly agree with this thread as I believe DS9 is the best Star Trek series by far, hell that is why I have all 7 seasons on video! The best part of DS9 had to be the Dominion War, it just gave the series that pinch on reality which showed that even the Federation isn't perfect. My favourite episode has got to be the Siege of AR558, if you haven't watched recently watch it again and if you have watch again anyway it is just that great.
      Glad you found us Micropot, well said and welcome to the superior thread. DS9 IMHO was the best and smartest Trek series, and is my favorite all time scifi show. The Dominion War story arc was so beautifully done. Behr, Moore and the other writers took there time developing the Dominion storyline which lead to some great television and the best ending of a series I have ever watched. DS9 has such a great cast of regular characters, part time characters and guest stars that enhanced the show tremendously.

We are currently doing an episode discussion (were in the middle of season VI right now), and we have talked many many times about the episode The Siege of AR-558 which is my second favorite episode right behind the S6 episode In the Pale Moonlight which I consider the greatest Trek episode ever (and is the next episode on the discussion list). I think if you polled all of the regulars here, most if not all would rank those episodes in there top 5.

So who are your favorite characters from DS9 Micropot?. I try to get fans of the show to list there top 5 or even top 10 characters (full time or part time) and maybe a quick explanation why. You obviously know your DS9 so I would love to see your list.
      the Fifth Race

Mod@ www.Bodybuilding.com
      Mod@ www.MMAforumcom

Comment

Ok here it goes -

1) Bashir - I would say Bashir is a great character mainly because of his evolution and maturation throughout the series as well as the second dimension given to him relating to his genetically enhanced status. An all round interesting character riddled with a few contradictions and I love his interactions with Garak, O'Brien and Dax.

2) Garak - I love Garak he is just so mysterious even when he is working with Starfleet during the Dominion War you never truly know what he is really thinking. I like his interaction with Bashir as well as most of the other characters throughout the series.

3) Sisko - A great leader and the way he responded to Picard in the first episode showed that DS9 would be different and a lot darker than previous series and Sisko is suited to this. He has a darkside which is shown in the Dominion War, episodes like Rocks and Shouls and In the Pale Moonlight, as well as a fun jokey side.

4) eek getting harder now, O'Brien - I never really noticed this character in TNG but he is great in DS9 as he is seen as they're "miracle worker". Gives a family or homely spin to the show as well a mature angle.

5) Odo - same kind of reasons as Garak as he is so mysterious to start with and he is always searching for answers.
        Spoiler:
        So many colours. All the pretty horses.
        What's he talking about?
        I gave him some morphine for the pain. I may have given him a wee bit too much, but he was making it impossible for me to treat him.
        Excuse me. Why am I lying here?
        You have an arrow, Rodney, in your gluteus maximus.
        Oh. Well, that sounds painful. Gluteus maximus. Glootus...maaxim ...Oh my God! That's my ass, isn't it?!
        Aye.

Comment

Just saw season four's "For the Cause". Really such a prime example of what sets DS9 apart from other Trek shows- the entire episode I was expecting Kasidy Yates to not be a Maquis smuggler, in typical Trek fashion, and was certainly not expecting her to get arrested. If this had been Voyager she most certainly would have turned out innocent.

I also like what Eddington said to Sisko near the end about the Federation being very much like the Borg- only their type of assimilation was not to obvious. I think there is quite a bit of truth in that statement.

Comment

Originally posted by Trek_Girl42 View Post
            Just saw season four's "For the Cause". Really such a prime example of what sets DS9 apart from other Trek shows- the entire episode I was expecting Kasidy Yates to not be a Maquis smuggler, in typical Trek fashion, and was certainly not expecting her to get arrested. If this had been Voyager she most certainly would have turned out innocent.
            I agree. IMO, it's that kind of thing that sets DS9 above the other series.
            sigpic
            "Space is disease and danger wrapped in darkness and silence."
            DS9 Superior|Farscape|Legend of the Seeker|Stargate Universe|STAR WARS

Comment

I also like what Eddington said to Sisko near the end about the Federation being very much like the Borg- only their type of assimilation was not to obvious. I think there is quite a bit of truth in that statement.
              *Micropot nods in agreement* Agreed. I also like the part where Eddington gives his little speech to Sisko and his statement is, as you say, kinda true. I also like the continuation of this episode in season 5, "For the Uniform".

@mckaychick - "The Seige of AR558" is a season 7 episode where the Defiant goes to the planet called AR558 to resupply them but the away team ends up staying and help defend the outpost. It shows the horrors of warfare which are not normally seen in Star Trek and I thought this episode was moving. Btw sorry for the slow reponse hope this helps you
              Spoiler:
              What's he talking about?
              I gave him some morphine for the pain. I may have given him a wee bit too much, but he was making it impossible for me to treat him.
              Oh. Well, that sounds painful. Gluteus maximus. Glootus...maaxim ...Oh my God! That's my ass, isn't it?!
              Aye.

Comment

Good point TrekGirl. Look at Vulcan. They were the first alien species to have contact with humans, and now they've been totally swept up by the Federation. They, the Andorians and the Tellarites went from founding members of the Federation to just minor races (specifically the latter two) in the Federation of the 24th century.

The same will/did happen to Bajor once they join the Federation; in that their Militia and space fleet will be absorbed into Starfleet. I think Bajor did join in the DS9 relaunch novels, although, the novels aren't considered canon anyway.
                Last edited by Missster.Freeman; 25 October 2006, 11:49 AM.
                "Captain, you almost make me believe in luck."

Comment

Well said and a very good example Lady Trek. That episode not only showed Starfleet in a bad light but it also showed how truly disturbed Sisko had become with Eddington and the Maquis. This is one of the parallels that DS9 draws with BSG, flawed characters that act like humans really do. Every character on DS9 was flawed in some way or another and they sure weren't afraid to portray them as such, which in turn like BSG makes for great viewing.

Originally posted by Trek_Girl42
                  I went back and forth with Eddington and Sisko as to whom I liked and was rooting for. One episode I was with Sisko and the next I was rooting for Eddington. Those two were a great dynamic on DS9. I don't want to give away any spoilers because I know you are currently following the show but I have a strong opinion about how it played out, great stuff!.
                  the Fifth Race

Mod@ www.MMAforumcom

Comment

Ok here it goes -

1) Bashir - I would say Bashir is a great character mainly because of his evolution and maturation throughout the series as well as the second dimension given to him relating to his genetically enhanced status. An all round interesting character riddled with a few contradictions and I love his interactions with Garak, O'Brien and Dax.

2) Garak - I love Garak he is just so mysterious even when he is working with Starfleet during the Dominion War you never truly know what he is really thinking. I like his interaction with Bashir as well as most of the other characters throughout the series.

3) Sisko - A great leader and the way he responded to Picard in the first episode showed that DS9 would be different and a lot darker than previous series and Sisko is suited to this. He has a darkside which is shown in the Dominion War, episodes like Rocks and Shouls and In the Pale Moonlight, as well as a fun jokey side.

4) eek getting harder now, O'Brien - I never really noticed this character in TNG but he is great in DS9 as he is seen as they're "miracle worker". Gives a family or homely spin to the show as well a mature angle.

5) Odo - same kind of reasons as Garak as he is so mysterious to start with and he is always searching for answers.
                    Great list Micropot and I am not surprised at your choices, most of the lists of loyal DS9 followers have the similar taste in characters, including muah. Heres what my last list looked liked.....

Great choices all!, I too, have switched my top 5 around slightly after re-watching the later seasons recently.....
                    1) Sisko ....he's still my #1.
                    2) Kira ....moved up the list.
                    3) Bashir ....also moved up a notch.
                    4) Garak .... ....truly brilliant!
                    5) Martok ....the best Klingon character of any Trek series or movie.
                    6) Quark ....again, a truly brilliant character played by a brilliant actor.
                    7) Worf ....much better in DS9 than he was on TNG.
                    8) Odo ....really shined in season 7.
                    9) Jadzia ....the Dax symbiont character was a stroke of genius.
                    10) O'Brien ....again, much better in DS9 than he was on TNG.

I also really loved the characters of Rom, Damar, Nog, Jake, Leeta, Ezri, female Changeling, Morn, Gowron and especially Weyoun!.

I love favorite character list's, they give you good insight into how a person views a great show you have in common.
                    the Fifth Race

Mod@ www.MMAforumcom

Comment

Omg I can't believe I forgot Martok! He is such an ace character and yes I agree the best Klingon by far. I also left out the 2 Dax's, man must be this cold I have, they are both ace but I must say I like Jadzia more mainly because she had 6 seasons and Ezri only had 1 but I was really warming up to Ezri by the end of season 7. Also Damar, enemy to ally was an interestin character development coupled with his interactions with Garak and Kira. Anyway I hope I'm not forgetting anyone important, back to you the Fifth Race.
                      Spoiler:
                      What's he talking about?
                      Aye.

Comment

Originally posted by the Fifth Race View Post
                        Well said and a very good example Lady Trek. That episode not only showed Starfleet in a bad light but it also showed how truly disturbed Sisko had become with Eddington and the Maquis. This is one of the parallels that DS9 draws with BSG, flawed characters that act like humans really do. Every character on DS9 was flawed in some way or another and they sure weren't afraid to portray them as such, which in turn like BSG makes for great viewing.

I went back and forth with Eddington and Sisko as to whom I liked and was rooting for. One episode I was with Sisko and the next I was rooting for Eddington. Those two were a great dynamic on DS9. I don't want to give away any spoilers because I know you are currently following the show but I have a strong opinion about how it played out, great stuff!.
                        I absolutly agree about the similarities with BSG- I think that's part of what really draws me into DS9, BSG was the first sci-fi show I became a fan of, and I think DS9 draws back to that- it's really nice watching them concurrently. They're definitly both shows that are representivitve of where the future of sci-fi television lies.

Can't wait to see where the Eddington story goes.

Comment

Never seen BSG but my brother is always raving on about it, he can never stop watching it. But from what he tells me it is a lot darker than Stargate so I guess it fits in with DS9 in general.
                          Spoiler:
                          What's he talking about?
                          Aye.

Comment

Hm... Haven't posted in this thread before but I must post my favorite character list.

1. Garak- Brilliant spy, sense of humor... how could you say no?
                            2. Odo- I could relate to him a lot, and his shapeshifting powers were really cool.
                            3. Quark- Here's to the only Ferengi who stays true to his culture. I salute you.
                            4. Jadzia- 7 life times of experience gave her personality.
                            5. Bashir- Sexy doctor , great character development with the genetic enhancements.
                            6. O'Brien- Family man, brilliant engineer, and the Bashir+O'Brien relationship was the greatest thing since Nutella.
                            7. McCoy- How could you resist the "I'm a doctor not a..." jokes?
                            8. Weyoun- "Of course I'm paranoid, everyone is trying to kill me."
                            9. Archer- First off, he has "John" in the name... Otherwise, I just liked his character for some reason...
                            10. Data- "Life forms... you tiny little life forms... you precious little life forms. Where are you?"

To see a picture of me in the Miss Teen America pageant, click here.

Comment

Seen a lot more episodes since I last posted my favourite character list, so.....here it is as of nearly the end of season four:

Odo
                              Sisko
                              Bashir
                              Kira
                              Gerak
                              Worf
                              Jake
                              O'Brian
                              Jadzia
                              Quark
                              Gul Dukat
                              Morn
                              Rom
                              Eddington
                              Nog
                              Leeta

I can't keep the Klingons straight.....is Gowron the buggy-eyed one? And which one is Martok?

Comment

Seen a lot more episodes since I last posted my favourite character list, so.....here it is as of nearly the end of season four:

Odo
                                Sisko
                                Bashir
                                Kira
                                Gerak
                                Worf
                                Jake
                                O'Brian
                                Jadzia
                                Quark
                                Gul Dukat
                                Morn
                                Rom
                                Eddington
                                Nog
                                Leeta

I can't keep the Klingons straight.....is Gowron the buggy-eyed one? And which one is Martok?
                                Yes, Gowron is the buggy-eyed one... And I can't really tell you the main distinguishing feature of Martok until you're about halfway through season 5 unfortunately.

To see a picture of me in the Miss Teen America pageant, click here.

Comment

Working...
                                X