Deep Space 9 Superior

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jelgate View Post
    I love Martock. Here is probably my favorite Klingion character on Star Trek. Yes I like him even more then Worf. The hug emphasis on honor to the point of blindness can at times be irritating. And that is why I like the "real" Martock. He has that sense of honor that all Klingions have but he was more level headed if you will. Martock was able to think more level headed then most Klingions. And that made him so interesting. His unique balance and Klingiion perpective.
    J.G. Hertzler's protrayal of Martok was nothing short of brilliant. He, like Worf are the most human-like Klingons - they both control there themselves quite well for being Klingon. They also both seem to have a more Universal outlook on life. Well said brother jelgate.
    Originally posted by jelgate
    On a personal note I know I said I had my DVD player and was going to get back to rewatch. And I'm trying but I apologize so slow to det back to rewatch. My finals are approching and taking up a lot of time.
    Take care of your school'in We will all be here when you have time and are ready.

Comment

I have to go with Martok too....He was awesome.

Comment

Originally posted by Starbase View Post
        The biggest plot surprise from In Purgatory's Shadow comes from our dear Dr Bashir. Julian turns out to be in the same Jem'Hadar prison, because he himself has been replaced by a shapeshifter. The Bashir on the station is a Changeling spy who has been there for, as Bashir says, over a month. Judging by Bashir's uniform and the time indications he explains - "I went to bed one night and woke up here" . It was a rather brave move on the writers' part - if there was one way to get the audience so viscerally involved in a subversive, convoluted Dominion plot, this is it.
        Let's not forget, of course, Enabran Tain, who has been prisoner ever since "The Die is Cast." It was kind of a surprise to find him alive, but it explains so much about Garak and Tain's relationship. Tain is dying in this prison, and before he dies, Garak has just one request: that Enabran acknowledge him as the son he is. Tain resists, almost instinctively. Garak, being the son of the head of the Obsidian Order, has always been Tain's own Achilles heel, and based on what we know of Garak, Tain, and the Obsidian Order, it makes absolutely perfect sense that Tain would exile his son from Cardassia, to protect a "bigger picture." It's tragic, yes - but absolutely wonderfully realized, and Tain's deathbed scene with Garak is played so right that I can't imagine that the situation could've turned out any other way.

Andrew Robinson (Garak) , as usual, is stellar - when Tain dies his reaction is so subtle, yet so revealing in a "Garak" kind of way. The scene is moving and so nicely done that it earns four stars for the episode all by itself. And the way Gabrielle Beaumont directs this scene and then presses on with plot right afterwards is superb. High, high praise is deserved all around for In Purgatory's Shadow.
        The USS Defiant Rocks!
        http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pb1MkhBytFw
        http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p8N1P...eature=related
        http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uRquZ...eature=related

Comment

I missed 'By Inferno's Light' yesterday, pissed me off. We have two channels showing DS9, one showing season 5 and another showing season 3. I thought it was the same channel showing both seasons and missed it, as I thought being the weekend they were showing different seasons than weekdays.

I did get to see 'Heart of Stone' though. I honestly don't like the A-Story much in this episode and was ready to ignore it. We get some good Odo development in it, but something I would rather skip. Then I caught a bit of the B-Story and remembered how fantastic it was, Nog going to Sisko for approval to join Starfleet Academy. I think it's one of the few episodes where the B-Story is far superior to the A-Story. Apart from Nog getting good character development,it allowed Rom to get good development too by standing up to Quark. I also liked how it was the only episode to explain any real details on Nog's mother.

When I realised my mistake and missed 'By Inferno's Light' I was able to catch 'Doctor Bashir, I presume". Fantastic perforance from Siddig in this one but I sort of see it as a huge character flaw in later seasons/episodes because at times he comes off so much like a Vulcan it's annoying. The guy's a robot at times.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by SaberBlade View Post
            I did get to see 'Heart of Stone' though. I honestly don't like the A-Story much in this episode and was ready to ignore it. We get some good Odo development in it, but something I would rather skip. Then I caught a bit of the B-Story and remembered how fantastic it was, Nog going to Sisko for approval to join Starfleet Academy. I think it's one of the few episodes where the B-Story is far superior to the A-Story. Apart from Nog getting good character development,it allowed Rom to get good development too by standing up to Quark. I also liked how it was the only episode to explain any real details on Nog's mother.
            Heart of Stone is not a very good episode except for this wonderful scene ....
            Kira: "I want you to get out of here."
            Odo: "Don't you understand? I can't!"
            Kira: "You have to. Odo, please!"
            Odo: "No. I won't leave you."
            Kira: "Why?"
            Odo: "Because! Because--I'm in love with you."
            This scene is wonderfully performed by Auberjonois, who does the job of convincing us that Odo has all of these bottled up emotions that begin exploding out of him. But when Kira returns with "I'm in love with you, too" the scene rings completely false. Fortunately, the script ultimately nullifies this line, because even Odo doesn't believe it. He suspects that this is not really Kira, because Kira would never lie to him, even in a situation like this. Odo is right, as False Kira morphs into her true self - the nameless female shapeshifter (Salome Jens) who tried to coax Odo into taking his "proper place" as a Founder. In fact, the shapeshifter masqueraded as the Maquis terrorist, then kidnapped and stashed Kira away in hope of again luring Odo back to the "Great Link."
            The USS Defiant Rocks!
            http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pb1MkhBytFw
            http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p8N1P...eature=related
            http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uRquZ...eature=related

Comment

The emotional moment of Odo expressing his true feelings for Kira, and his motivations for staying away from his people is the the only real enjoyable moment from the A-Story. Rene did a great job building up and expressing his love, and with his realisation that it's not the real Kira.

sigpic

Comment

The emotional moment of Odo expressing his true feelings for Kira, and his motivations for staying away from his people is the the only real enjoyable moment from the A-Story. Rene did a great job building up and expressing his love, and with his realisation that it's not the real Kira.
                There are some problems with Heart if Stone - For starters, this episode uses a twist ending that rather undermines the impact on the characters. While it's not a total cheat like in "Search II," it does end up putting us back where we started. Since, in reality, Odo said none of these things to Kira, the writers have allowed themselves to take back everything they proposed in the episode. If the intention here was to confirm all the suspicions we've had about Odo's feelings, it's little more than an exercise in redundancy. The B-story is a lightweight but decent enough story involving Nog trying to persuade Sisko to recommend him for Starfleet Academy.

"Heart of Stone" has some good dialogue and engaging moments. Unfortunately, the ungratifying end result fall's flat.
                the Fifth Race

Mod@ www.Bodybuilding.com
                Mod@ www.MMAforumcom

Comment

I disagree with the B-Story just being decent. Oddly enough, this episode and another episode both involve Kira in the A-Story but I found the B-Story involving Nog to be much more enjoyable. The other episode was 'Progress' with Jake and Nog getting their hands on those self sealing stembolts.

I remember season one showing Nog to be a character who not only wants to improve but was also able to contribute to others. School, learning to read when the school went boom, able to help the young Bajoran leader in negotations with her rivals, and of course his dealings with the self sealing stembolts. After that though, I can't remember Nog doing anything until he was captured with Sisko, Jake and Quark in the Gamma Quadrant which was the end of season 2. That is why I think the B-Story in this episode is fantastic.

Nog looking to join Starfleet and his reason why, when revealed, was like being hit by a ship traveling at warp. I see the episode to be an idea of how people may have reacted when Worf decided to join Starfleet. I might be wrong but I think I remember a scene where even Worf himself questions the idea of having a Ferengi in Starfleet during season 4, which just adds more to Nog because the only Klingon in Starfleet (I don't consider Torres to be in Starfleet, she left the Academy without graduation, her service on Voyager pretty much has the same standing with Starfleet that Wesley did when he started out on the bridge and she's not fully Klingon) can't see it working out, even after O'Brien (I think) comments back about people thinking the same thing about him.

sigpic

Comment

What speaks me to Heart of Stone more then anything is what happened Behind the Scenes. One thing that is a factor in me being a fan of the show is how the actors are behind the scenes. Thats one of the reasons I never like the original Star Trek. I have no respect for William Shanter. But getting back to Heart of Stone the fact that Salomone Jens asked to be credited at the end for shock value for the viewers kind of speaks to what kind of actor she is and why I always liked Dominion stories.

And for anyone who is asking I have no dislike for Armin Shimerman
                    Originally posted by aretood2
                    Jelgate is right

Comment

I thought they asked her for end credits recognition. Asking to be put to the end credits to help keep the surprise is quite a thing, as any half observant fan would have noticed it so I think it's a nod to the fans really if she had asked. Kevin Spacey did the same thing for the movie Se7en.

sigpic

Comment

I found the B-Story involving Nog to be much more enjoyable.
                        Compared to the A-Story from Heart of Stone, that's not saying alot. I didn't say it was horrible brother SB, I'm just not that big a fan of Rom or early season's Nog (I did eventually become a big fan of Nog's). That being said - This episode very nicely explores Rom and his son's relationship. Rom is a mechanical genius indeed - His hidden talants have surfaced a number of times. But I think he's closer to being autistic than a genius. He's weak in many areas, but extremely strong in others. Overall, I'm glad to see the Ferengi are being taken seriously in this episode and I enjoyed the rather complex character-driven plot. I did love the line where Quark tell's Rom: "Everything that goes wrong here is your fault. It says so in your contract!"
                        the Fifth Race

Mod@ www.Bodybuilding.com
                        Mod@ www.MMAforumcom

Comment

Originally posted by jelgate View Post
                          I love Martock. Here is probably my favorite Klingion character on Star Trek. Yes I like him even more then Worf. The hug emphasis on honor to the point of blindness can at times be irritating. And that is why I like the "real" Martock. He has that sense of honor that all Klingions have but he was more level headed if you will. Martock was able to think more level headed then most Klingions. And that made him so interesting. His unique balance and Klingiion perpective.

On a personal note I know I said I had my DVD player and was going to get back to rewatch. And I'm trying but I apologize so slow to det back to rewatch. My finals are approching and taking up a lot of time.
                          I've often thought that Martok being more 'level-headed' of practical than most other klingons might have been because he came from a lower-class family and had to rise through the ranks on his own merit rather than being born into a high ranking family.

Most of the klingon characters are from high ranking warrior families (presumably the lower class peasants dont get the opportunity to travel beyond the borders of Qo'nos) but the couple of lower ranked klingons that did make an appearance like Grilka's house carl and the klingon clerk assigned to help Martok with his paperwork (cant recall their names sorry) seemed much more practical and less inclined to be influenced by romanticised/sentimental ideals that tended to dominate klingon socioty. I could be wrong but thats how i remember it.

In regards to 'Heart of Stone' I barely remember the odo/kira part of that episode I mostly recall Nog trying to join starfleet. I think the development of Nog's character wasnt as noticeable in later seasons cause he was too busy trying to be an exlemplarary(sp) member of starfleet, he was certainly enthusiastic about it almost annoyingly so but it did make for some funny scenes especially with Martok
                          Quietly, so as not to alarm anyone, she began to go insane

Comment

Originally posted by the Fifth Race View Post
                            There are some problems with Heart if Stone - For starters, this episode uses a twist ending that rather undermines the impact on the characters. While it's not a total cheat like in "Search II," it does end up putting us back where we started. Since, in reality, Odo said none of these things to Kira, the writers have allowed themselves to take back everything they proposed in the episode. If the intention here was to confirm all the suspicions we've had about Odo's feelings, it's little more than an exercise in redundancy.
                            Odo was very moving in declaring his feelings, but the situation was so forced that I felt sorry for him more as a character. He didn't get to show a lot of range, be he does anguish so well that it was a pleasure to watch. His explanations at the end were magnificently understated.
                            Originally posted by the Fifth Race
                            The B-story is a lightweight but decent enough story involving Nog trying to persuade Sisko to recommend him for Starfleet Academy.
                            I loved the B-story, although I really thought Sisko needed to explain a thing or two to Nog BEFORE writing the damn letter!.

A lot in Heart of Stone reminded me of Classic Trek - I liked the big dark cave set, the Nasty Alien Entity which they immediately tried to kill because that's what one does with Nasty Alien Entities.

Comment

A lot in Heart of Stone reminded me of Classic Trek - I liked the big dark cave set, the Nasty Alien Entity which they immediately tried to kill because that's what one does with Nasty Alien Entities.
                              Plus it also looked like an entity you'd expect from the 60's.

sigpic

Comment

I was able to catch 'Doctor Bashir, I presume". Fantastic perforance from Siddig in this one but I sort of see it as a huge character flaw in later seasons/episodes because at times he comes off so much like a Vulcan it's annoying. The guy's a robot at times.
                                Ahh yes, the episode where the secret revealed is that Julian is a product of genetic enhancement. When he was a young child he was slow and fell behind in school, and his parents, in an act of desperation, took it upon themselves to have Julian's DNA "resequenced." This turned Julian into a model character of physical and mental proficiency. The procedure was illegal, however, and if anyone were to find out about it now, Julian could lose his career and his parents could go to prison.

The best scenes in "Doctor Bashir, I Presume" are the rather uncomfortable ones of repressed scorn where Julian sits in malcontent with his parents. We know there's a history and a problem here, and Siddig does a decent job of conveying the sense of unhappiness without going overboard. The signs leading up to the big character explosion and the revelation of Julian and his parents' "secret" are also sensibly performed.

Comment

Working...
                                X