No announcement yet.

Requiem (109)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I wonder if this show are also watching people who are not big fans of Amanda (like me). Just curious.
    I think she was very good but I am watching the show bc of the topic of the show, not Amanda. But yeah, she was OK

"No dictator, no invader, can hold an imprisoned population by the force of arms forever. There is no greater power in the universe than the need for freedom. Against that power governments, and tyrants, and armies can not stand." - G´Kar, Babylon 5

Comment

Originally posted by Chelle DB View Post
      On the award thing...if Amanda doesn't get one for her performance in Requiem...then I'll be mighty peeved! There would have to be something seriously wrong with the way the awards are handed out if she misses out here...and I don't say that coz I love the woman...oh no...she was just incredible in the ep. The best!! I want to see more of this!! Please please please...I want more emotional Helen...in what capacity is no worries...I'll take anything but give me more Helen emotion!! Angry Helen, tough Helen, mad Helen, crazy Helen, happy Helen, sad Helen, tired Helen, frustrated Helen, hurt Helen...you get the picture!

Only slightly OT here ... but next week's episode looks rather interesting in that there's a character who is supposed to be Helen's father ... in the present apparently. One of the clips has Helen telling an "older" man "I'm your daughter"!??? That should cause some interesting emotions.

Comment

not to mention

next week spec
        Spoiler:

here is the idea that helen and 'the five' are the only long lived ones, yet here's 'daddy' who's still alive...thus implying that 'the five' aren't the only ones that are 'immortal'
        Last edited by Skydiver; 07 December 2008, 09:52 AM.
        Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver View Post
          not to mention

next week spec

Spoiler:
          here is the idea that helen and 'the five' are the only long lived ones, yet here's 'daddy' who's still alive...thus implying that 'the five' aren't the only ones that are 'immortal'
          LOL, what's funny is he was on that show about immortals, Hylander
          Last edited by Skydiver; 07 December 2008, 09:53 AM.
          sigpic

my fanfic

Comment

Originally posted by Rocky89 View Post

But she did in fact die (ONLY FOR A MINUTE ) she did experience dying and death, so now she may know what it means to live and die, and now she may not feel as distant from people as before. She can be hurt, she can feel pain, physically and emotionally, she can die, she is mortal, she *is* human .
            I was wondering if Helen actually died? I think she might have been resuscitated before death or even any brain damage occured (hopefully). Timelines in TV are relative, I know, but hopefully she was only out seconds, not minutes? She was pretty normal when she regained consciousness. (this is not super important, I was just wondering. I guess it depends on how you define death. Fortunately, a medically defined death did not occur, but who knows what Helen experienced while she was out?)

Originally posted by Chelle DB View Post
            On the award thing...if Amanda doesn't get one for her performance in Requiem...then I'll be mighty peeved! There would have to be something seriously wrong with the way the awards are handed out if she misses out here...
            I totally agree.

How do you top a performance like that? They pulled out all the stops - I was exhausted for them just watching it.

not to mention

Spoiler:
            next week spec

Cool.
            Spoiler:
            More than one way to end up long-lived. That would give us a ton of potential story lines.

I wondered about the parasite that attacked Helen. On the microscopic views, it looked multicellular or with a bunch of organelles, but then when it came out of her, it was huge (relative to a cell)... maybe the cellular stage was the baby stage, and then as it grew, it became the slimy mini cobra?
            Last edited by tagger; 07 December 2008, 09:56 AM.
            Words have tremendous power. The right words spoken by the right people at the right times can lift up communities, transform lives, mend relationships, break hearts—even topple empires.
            Quint Studer

Comment

Originally posted by Rocky89 View Post

Wow, you like that episode didn't you, but than again, what wasn't to like? . You know, I assume you read my review, how couldn't you? it's a mile on , in it, I did everything but give a standing ovation. But it's not too late *Stands up and gives a more massive standing ovation* Ow, my head hit the floor .

BEST episode, BEST acting, BEST everything *WOO HOO*.
              LOL, hope your head is ok.

And, yes, I loved this episode, the acting blew me away.

Originally posted by hedwig View Post
              Does anybody know how nominations are made? Is there a committee or something that decides who gets nominated, or do people like us (fans) get to write in and make recommendations? I think an Emmy would be great, but have they ever really given any for SciFi-type stories, series, or acting in same?
              When we were talking yesterday about all the awards AT and Robin should get for their work in this episode, someone much smarter than me told me scifi is not included in the Emmy categories. How weird is that. I had no idea, but this is Emmy worthy, or some super fantastic award worthy. Then again, doing such a great job is it's own reward, you know when you hit something out of the park.
              Last edited by tagger; 07 December 2008, 09:57 AM.
              Words have tremendous power. The right words spoken by the right people at the right times can lift up communities, transform lives, mend relationships, break hearts—even topple empires.
              Quint Studer

Comment

sorry guys, i meant to tag my speculation about n ext week. I hope no one was horribly spoiled

sigpic

Comment

Everyone has already said so many wonderful comments. I'll just add, like others, that I thought Amanda and Robin Dunne were excellent in this episode. I loved it. I specifically loved seeing Amanda in this role of someone going over the edge. This episode flew by because the acting was so superb. Sanctuary continues to improve with each episode -- more and more character depth intermixed with better and better storytelling. I am now officially hooked because of all the characters -- I like them all (felt that way about the early SG-1 days of the team and also Babylon 5). I initially watched Sanctuary because of Amanda, but I'll admit that if I just didn't like the show I wouldn't watch even though she is in it. Well, I'm fortunate because I really like the stories and characters so far and want to know more. And although TV has changed in that women are now more likely to be in lead roles than before, Amanda's Helen is somewhat unique in that it is still uncommon to see women in their 40s be a lead of a scifi show. And Helen, like Sam, is another great character to portray. Go Amanda and the Sanctuary team!

Comment

i like how, when will and henry did the 'nicknames' bits, she was just so 'she has a real name you know' but didn't exactly condemn them or anything over it. i think she knew that the nickname wasn't meanly meant, but the guys' way of dealing with some of the abbies.

and then, i think, when will knew to and had the ability to kill helen to stop the paracite, she knew that he was 'ready' so to speak. that he can make the tough decisions necessary to do her job.

because part of running the sanctuary is to help others, and another part is knowing when they are beyond help and need to be stopped.

I kinda like, other than will's rather clumsy 'only family i have' line, there was no melodrama and angst. Just two people trying to fix a bad situation.

sigpic

Comment

I loved this episode...it was really good, some excellent acting, tight shooting and just cool stuff.

The banter with Henry was awesome.

The parallel between the descent of the sub and the descent into madness struck me as niftily done.

I like that things are still iffy between Helen and Ashley and that nothing in all her 157 years has fully equipped her to deal with that.

Also liked the flip around between Will and Helen. Will got the rug pulled out from under him so to speak when he had to be the one to find way out and Helen was worse than incapacitated, but he came through...go Will.

Again I'm in love with the details, the details on the set, in shooting angles and in shots, like Helen's pupils dilating and stuff.

I'll stop rambling now lol.
                      sigpic
                      Thank you to Lies for my signature pic
                      My Fanfic~My Femslash

Comment

Originally posted by majorsal View Post
                        i'm just totally fangirling amanda right now. bravo, woman, totally bravo.
                        *cough*Brava*cough*

Comment

i like how, when will and henry did the 'nicknames' bits, she was just so 'she has a real name you know' but didn't exactly condemn them or anything over it. i think she knew that the nickname wasn't meanly meant, but the guys' way of dealing with some of the abbies.

and then, i think, when will knew to and had the ability to kill helen to stop the paracite, she knew that he was 'ready' so to speak. that he can make the tough decisions necessary to do her job.

because part of running the sanctuary is to help others, and another part is knowing when they are beyond help and need to be stopped.

I kinda like, other than will's rather clumsy 'only family i have' line, there was no melodrama and angst. Just two people trying to fix a bad situation.

It seems like there is a lot of positive response about this episode, but I've read a few comments elsewhere that complain about Will being a "wimp". I don't see him as a "wimp" at all. He is able to make tough decisions and he is smart. He knows Magnus is extremely powerful, and he handled this almost impossible situation very well. I wonder if Daniel was thought by some to be a "wimp" in the early seasons of SG-1. I didn't see him as a "wimp" either. I guess I like these type of characters, along with a Henry-type as well, whatever that is!

Comment

Originally posted by tagger View Post
                            LOL, hope your head is ok.

And, yes, I loved this episode, the acting blew me away.

When we were talking yesterday about all the awards AT and Robin should get for their work in this episode, someone much smarter than me told me scifi is not included in the Emmy categories. How weird is that. I had no idea, but this is Emmy worthy, or some super fantastic award worthy. Then again, doing such a great job is it's own reward, you know when you hit something out of the park.
                            I noticed many years ago that actors/shows in the "scifi" category never (or rarely) get nominated for an Emmy. And I think that's a shame since I thought the Emmy awards were about performances and not about category. There are plenty of people in scifi series that have given Emmy-worthy performances, but never got nominated.

And you're right about the job being it's own reward. They aren't doing it for awards, they're doing it because they love what they are doing.

Comment

Originally posted by chocdoc View Post
                              It seems like there is a lot of positive response about this episode, but I've read a few comments elsewhere that complain about Will being a "wimp". I don't see him as a "wimp" at all. He is able to make tough decisions and he is smart. He knows Magnus is extremely powerful, and he handled this almost impossible situation very well. I wonder if Daniel was thought by some to be a "wimp" in the early seasons of SG-1. I didn't see him as a "wimp" either. I guess I like these type of characters, along with a Henry-type as well, whatever that is!
                              I don't really get the 'wimp' characterization either, since in the end Will was able to kill Helen, rather creatively as well. He may not have been able to over-power her directly, but he was able to out-smart her, which is no mean feat.

Originally posted by hedwig View Post
                              I noticed many years ago that actors/shows in the "scifi" category never (or rarely) get nominated for an Emmy. And I think that's a shame since I thought the Emmy awards were about performances and not about category. There are plenty of people in scifi series that have given Emmy-worthy performances, but never got nominated.

And you're right about the job being it's own reward. They aren't doing it for awards, they're doing it because they love what they are doing.
                              The same tends to hold true for sci-fi/fantasy films at the Academy Awards, which is why I was so ecstatic when Lord of the Rings: Return of the King won 11 Oscars, including Best Picture.

sigpic

Comment

IMHO, will is not a wimp.

will he ever be able to 'take' biggy on one to one combat? heck no. but physical strength does not anti-wimp make.

as to the predjudice against scifi? been around for years. personally, the oonly reason ROTK won is because it would have been criminal to ignore peter jackson's accomplishments. the oscars and thus the emmys have a snotty attitude towards scifi or comedy. in their narrow little world view, the only 'good' performances stem from dramatic movies

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X