• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by majorsal View Post
    amanda was amazing!!!

(((amanda)))

you're a fantastic actress!!

and no dastardly deeds prevented me from recording this episode (you know, cable goes out, the vcr breaks down, a crazed possum goes on the rampage and eats the trees across the street that causes them to fall over and crush the house, etc)
    I've been waiting to hear what you've thought about the episode all day hon . I'm glad you loved it, and I'm glad you think Amanda was amazing . Btw, I had no I idea things like that could happen to prevent me from taping Sanctuary . Now I've gotta be twice as careful .

this is now my number ONE fave ep, with 'the five' and 'kush' coming in no's 2 and 3.

i don't even know where to begin... okay, i have one complaint... i didn't want it to end!!

i think i'll go and read others reviews and reply. my brain's racing too much.
    Your episode list is the same as mine Sally, Requiem will always be my favorite, well for now at least until I see a better episode, but right now Requiem seems hard to beat . Oh, I can't wait to read your full review. *High five*

i don't think i'll ever get past the fear that helen's own personal sanctuary is her death. after seeing 'xena's' last ep... so helen saying to will about her passing it on to him when she's not around anymore...

BUT, i'll try to let that go for the moment and say that i enjoyed the bonding of helen and will. and i really enjoying will in this ep more than i ever have.

yes on everything! i think my brain's a bit fried.
    I know what you mean, I feel sorry for Helen too . It's sad that she considers death her personal Sanctuary, But I think this episode was also great for the character not just what ALL I said in my little review , but I think, I hope this experience stays with Helen for a while.

In this episode, more than any other so far, Helen's talked about how lonely her life is, and how she's had to bury her friends, family, and lovers, and what causes her great pain is knowing everyone she meets, everyone she knows and cares for will eventually die, but not her . And because of that she feels alone, and she can't relate to anyone because of her immortality. And that's probably what she's felt as kept her apart the most from "normal" people. But she did in fact die (ONLY FOR A MINUTE ) she did experience dying and death, so now she may know what it means to live and die, and now she may not feel as distant from people as before. She can be hurt, she can feel pain, physically and emotionally, she can die, she is mortal, she *is* human .

a quick question on that scene. the first time we saw helen grinning (just after will ran into another room); did the camera kind of go slow-mo on her face while she was doing it?

there's just soooooooo much for me to talk about, my brain's all over the place in trying to put it into words and phrases.
    I know what you mean Sally, I saw Reqiuem last night at 8, and it, believe it or not, but it took me like 4 hours to write that review . And yeah, I loved that slow-mo part when she had that crazy look on her face. Amazing actress right there.

that scene, like *so* many others, was fabulous! it reminded me of a scene from the movie 'abyss', which happened to be my favorite scene. (i only wish helen's eyes wouldn't have still been open when she you-know-whated. )
    *Hugs* it's OK hon, it's OK Helen's fine now, OK? Helens fine.

i'm just totally fangirling amanda right now. bravo, woman, totally bravo.
    You like this Amanda Tapping don't yeah? *Squee*

i thought that was what the mermaid was called. i'm honored, i'm on sanctuary!
    Good for you hon, I thought of you the second I heard that. *High fives Sally*
    Last edited by Rocky89; 06 December 2008, 09:07 PM.

Comment

the sanctuary ptb need to reimburse me for all the gas i wasted driving my mom and i to lunch. why? because i got lost 2 times on our way because i was so busy talking about 'requiem'!

wait, make that 2 and a half times, because even when i found the place, i almost drove by it because, yes, i was talking about 'requiem' again!
      sally

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by hedwig View Post
        Well, I guess my only comment is I hope whoever is in charge of award nominations (Gemini, Saturn?) was watching this episode! Both performances were award-worthy.
        how about an 'emmy' award (american version of tv awards)? oh, wait, it's a totally canadian product... so what, she still deserves it! and it's on an american tv station, so there!

and the emmy goes to, amanda tapping, for best performance by a lead female for 'requiem'.

sally

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by SamJackShipper93 View Post
          Most points I was going to make have already been said, loved the beginning, with all of the references to the famous people, loved Henry on the communicator, and I definetely was reminded of Legacy and Machello's Goa'uld . . . bug thingies.
          i didn't tell my mom any spoilers, and i 'did' read a few , so when she saw the very beginning, she thought will was the one bad. she loved being tricked.
          sally

sigpic

Comment

why did helen feel relief from the pain if the sub went to a lower depth? is it because the parasite did?

i also liked that this wasn't an entity taking her over and altering her personality/mind into it's own, but that the parasite stimulated the parts of our brains that regulate our emotions and such.

hmm, this was kind of like helen with pms, only a crack version of it.
            sally

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Rocky89 View Post
              But she did die (ONLY FOR A MINUTE ) she did experience dying and death, so now she may know what it means to live and die, and now she may not feel as distant from people as she does. She is human .
              wow, rocky, that's a great insight! *ponders some more* that's actually making me feel a bit less scared.
              sally

sigpic

Comment

there's a difference between the 'magazine' (what was in will's hand) and the 'chamber', which is basically the 'back' of the barrel of the pistol.

will removed the magazine, yet there could have been a bullet in the chamber, had will or helen 'cocked' the weapon....moved a bullet from the magazine into the firing chamber

If you've ever bowled, think of the 'magazine' as the little place where the bowling balls rest, the 'chamber' is in the hand of the bowler as s/he is ready to roll them down the lane, and the lane is the barrel.
                Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Really good episode last night. This show has really impressed me so far.
                  sigpic
                  MS - "Boy, wow that's a great question!"
                  "...phu...ah..."
                  "Anyone know what SENTIENT means???"
                  Sunday is my favorite day for two reasons - Football and The Walking Dead

Comment

Originally posted by Rocky89 View Post
                    In this episode my than any other so far, Helen's talked about how lonely her life is, and how she's had to bury her friends, family, and lovers, and what causes her great pain is knowing everyone she meets, everyone she knows and cares for will eventually die, but not her . and because of that she feels alone, and she can't relatr to anyone because of her immortality. But she did die (ONLY FOR A MINUTE ) she did experience dying and death, so now she may know what it means to live and die, and now she may not feel as distant from people as she does. She is human .
                    [/I]*
                    Hmm, that's an interesting point, but I wonder if dying would make her feel closer to people. I kinda think it would make it even harder for her to relate because she's experienced something that most people haven't yet. Though you're right, it probably does make her feel a little bit more human.

why did helen feel relief from the pain if the sub went to a lower depth? is it because the parasite did?
                    My guess is that it was the parasite forcing her to want to go deeper. I think in the beginning when they find the remains of the merfolk, Helen mentions that they're at a deeper depth than their normal habitat, and so perhaps they were forced deeper because of the parasite.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Naddy View Post
                      Has anyone else seen this ep yet?
                      I just watched it and thought Amanda Tapping and Robin Dunne were phenomenal.
                      Have I seen the ep? Hmm... let me check my posts records to see if I find something.....

Oh wait, I found something-- http://forum.gateworld.net/showpost....8&postcount=10

Originally posted by Kratos_Goauld_of_War View Post
                      Yes. This episode was out of the world awesome. Amanda did an amazing job in losing her mind. Some of the looks she gave were just downright creepy, but everything played out real well. I really like episodes like this. Where it's just a character confined to a small space or alone in a big space. There's just so much more you can accomplish character-wise in these types of episodes. I really...really love these episodes. I don't know how much better I can phrase it and Sanctuary had 2 in one season. These are just solely character driven plots. A little peril and a bunch of soul searching, beautiful.
                      Beautifully put. I know I can't possibly say anything more than what I already said in my HUGE review post , but I agree with you, I love character driven stories, and this is one of the best I've ever seen in a Sci-fi show . Put Amanda in that scene, and you've got yourself a great story .

All that being said, and I loved this episode, it reminded me ALOT of "Legacy" from season 3 of SG-1 right down to when that thing came out of her ear (It looked vaguely like an atrophied symbiote in my opinion). Which is fine because "Legacy" is one of my favorite episodes.

So over all, and over rambling, fantastic episode.
                      True, it did feel a little like Legacy, but IHMO, Amanda plays crazy better than MS .

Originally posted by Naddy View Post
                      I too love the character development in this one. I love the Helen/Will dynamic, and I thought that scene at the end where he's trying to resuscitate her was just perfect and extremely, extremely well done.

Something I'm constantly surprised about is how I don't see Sam at all when I'm watching Sanctuary. I kind of expected to a bit initially 'cause I've watched so much SG1. But even when Magnus is doing mechanical stuff like Carter sometimes did, I still don't see any of Carter and it just makes me think they're doing such a good job with Magnus....

Can't wait until the next one...
                      I could feel Will's desperation to save Helen, and the music and the acting of course was just BANG, amazing . And yeah, I know what you mean, like I've said before, sometimes when I'm watching Sanctuary I think of Sam sometimes, because I miss her, I MISS her a LOT , also when Helen starts talking technobabble. But Amanda does an amazing job playing Helen, just as she does paying Sam, she's so convincing that you really believe that she's two totally different people. Helen's Helen, and Sam's Sam, and that's that.

Originally posted by EvenstarSRV View Post
                      I agree, both of them were just fantastic, I can see why AT feels this was her bravest work and how she trusted RD and MW to do those scenes.
                      That's right, from Amanda own words--

"There’s an episode called Requiem which for me personally was the bravest work I’ve ever done as an actor. I don’t think I would’ve been able to do that had I not felt so safe."
                      "We recently shot an episode called "Requiem" where it was just me and Robin stuck in a submarine," notes the actress. "It might sound like "Grace Under Pressure" from [season two] of Stargate Atlantis, but it's so not that. If you watch the opening teaser you're not sure who's gone crazy, Helen or Will. For me, and I think I can speak for Robin, too, it was the bravest, scariest work I've ever done as an actor, and I did a lot of great stuff on Stargate. This was a very physical and emotional story. Consequently, I'm totally exhausted right now, we were wet for a good part of the episode; I spent from eight in the morning until 10:30 at night soaked to the skin, which
                      after a while starts to get uncomfortable. At the end of the day, though, it was like, `Wow, we just pulled off something pretty neat...we hope."
                      "We return this week for one of my favourite episodes "Requiem". It's a two hander with Will and Magnus. I loved shooting this episode! It was the most challenging work I've ever done.

It also solidified in granite my belief in the talents of Martin Wood and Robin Dunne and our lovely scribe, Damian Kindler.

I'm immensely proud of the episode and hope you all enjoy it!"
                      After watching the episode, I can definitely see why she said all those things, and all I can say is:

BRAVO AMANDA!

I also really liked Will and Helen discussing how hard it is for her to relate to people, even Ashley, and Will's role and future at the Sanctuary, both before and while Helen was going crazy. And Helen talking about the curse of her long life, that no one is meant to live forever and the pain's she gone through because of it. It was great to see that dark undercurrent to Helen, which she can probably usually suppress with her work and with her interactions Ashley, Will, and the others.

AT did an amazing job showing Helen being taken over by that parasite, going 'crazy' but still able to act methodically and rationally as fitting with Helen's personality. Loved the scene when she tries to goad Will into shooting her and then turns the gun on him. And when the sub was flooding and sinking and Helen's grinning while trying to 'fix' it. And when Will is tied up and Helen's going on about 'seeing the sunshine'. And pretty much every scene.
                      Did you get some of that from my review post? , The looks on Helen's face were looks I've never seen on Amanda or Sam before, they were just dark, evil, crazy and scary to the core . I loved that 'seeing the sunshine' line, it was just freaky, I honestly don't know what was better, Helen's crazy talk or her actions. With an actress as brilliant as Amanda, it's sometimes hard to tell . If there are performances like this in future episodes, that'll be really awesome . I'd love to see Sam do those things

Originally posted by tagger View Post
                      Holy cow.

Fantastic episode.

Acting, directing, vis effects, writing, everything. I loved every real and virtual shot of the sub, the sub sounds, the claustophobic feel of it all.

The dialogue was great, the story kept me on the edge of my seat, and the historical quips were funny.

Totally intense, creepily real death/ resuscitation scenes. Wow. AT is always suberb. Dunne was perfectly frantic, his panic so palpable I started to feel panicky.

Brilliant acting all the way through, absolutely stunning.

I loved all the little character clues we got, too. The insights into how each of them clicks.

Great job!!! Thanks to all involved!!

WOOHOO!!

A massive standing ovation!

Wow, you like that episode didn't you, but than again, what wasn't to like? . You know, I assume you read my review, how couldn't you? it's a mile on , in it, I did everything but give a standing ovation. But it's not too late *Stands up and gives a more massive standing ovation* Ow, my head hit the floor .

Originally posted by morjana View Post
                      What a terrific episode! Amanda and Robin both delivered powerful performances. Best episode so far. Well done, kudos to everyone involved.
                      BEST episode, BEST acting, BEST everything *WOO HOO*.

Comment

Originally posted by Chelle DB View Post
                        I have another 6 hours to wait!
                        Assuming Helen wants to pass the Sanctuary onto Will after her death, Helen must be planning on dieing before Will...which has me assuming she definitely doesn't want to be around to watch Ashley grow old and die...so how could this possibly happen?? Unless she has plans in place to end her life or a cure to her immortality??
                        I don't want anyone to die, ESPECIALLY HELEN! I could not handle that, just as I couldn't handle Sam dying in TLM, before we knew she survived and that it was an "AT", thank God *sighs*. To quote my friend Sally, "i swear to gawd, if this series ends with helen being freed of her curse by dying, i'll puke a dog."

^ What she said .

From what I have read about the ep...btw, thank you Rocky!!...I think we're gonna be hard pressed to find another ep better than this one...for this season at least!
                        6 freakin' hours...I can't believe I have to wait 6 more hours...D'oH!!!
                        Thank you Chelle, and you're right, Requiem is gonna be real tough to beat.

Originally posted by jasminaGo View Post
                        This seems to be a standard way for me to start a post, but... WOW!!!!!

I was really looking forward to this episode for a long time, but it went beyond anything I expected. Everything was just perfect. The writing, the directing, the music...but Amanda's performance simply blew me away. Again WOW!!! Helen slowly loosing her mind, trying to hold on and figure out what's wrong, (when the pain started the second time and she had tears in her eyes I just wanted to hug her.), her interactions with Will, the feelings about Ashley and what her longevity means to her...not to mention every single crazy moment she had. It was all brilliant.

Also Helen seemed very strong physically, not just that she slapped Will around a few times (), but when he tried to close the hatch, he had his weight on top of it, and yet Helen pushed it away with one hand, without much trouble.
                        That's how I start my posts too sometimes . I had been looking forward to this episode for a while, more than any other episode . I also gave this episode the most attention, I mean I was at the edge of my seat. At some points, I was saying to Helen "You're crazy, you are crazy". Other parts I was squeeing out loud like Sally , heck, some of the things Helen said and did gave me chills . Like when she whispered into Will's ear *Chills*

Watching this episode makes me want to see Amanda play a bad guy...girl in a movie.

All in all, congrats on the Sanctuary team for another amazing episode.

Also I made around 500 caps, free to use them for what ever you want. 09 Requiem.zip

p.s. I just wanted to add another WOW!!!
                        That's a good idea, could you imagine if Amanda ever played crazy killer in a movie or show . Let me join you in that congrats, but not just in another amazing episode, but my favorite one, and IHO, the BEST episode yet .

Oh no, those pics don't work for me .

Originally posted by alta View Post
                        WOW!! Best episode of Sanctuary by far! You don't need all the green screen and special effects for a fantastic episode. Amanda and Robin were amazing! Bravo to them and Martin Wood and Damian. I also loved all the character moments that others mentioned. I hope we get more of this in Season 2.
                        Exactly, it's all about the acting, if the acting is right, and the fans love it, that's what matters . And what I saw in that episode was some of the BEST DANG ACTING I'VE SEEN, I like said in my review, Requiem was Sanctuary's Line in the Sand, but WAY better. . I'd love to see more like this in future eps. *YAY*

One thing that I miss in Sanctuary so far, is that there is little shown of what Helen did in the past. Yes, there was a little in The Five, but that was just 1 moment, when "the 5" injected themselves. I am waiting for a episode where we see Helen during WW1 or WW2 or the Great Depression where we see what she was doing, how she is dealing with her friends and lovers getting old and dying (what does she tell them when they see she is not aging).
                        I've thought about that a couple of times, I mean in the opening credits we see pics of her with Einstein, and what not. But sometimes I wonder how she got around, meeting new people, making friends, and such, without anyone noticing she wasn't aging. I have 3 theories about that:

1. Perhaps she told them and/or some of them who she is, and how old she really was at the time, and how she got like that, just like she did with Will.

2. She did something to them, or herself to appear to be aging.

3. She didn't stay for a very long time, she left after a curtain point so no one would notice she wasn't aging, but she came back after they died, and/or *just* before they died so she could say could good-bye.

Well, those are my theories *wink*.

Originally posted by dipsofjazz View Post
                        Holy Hannah! What a fabulous episode.

I agree with all the previous comments - loved all the historical references, the claustrophobic feeling in the sub, the cgi, the dialogue, and especially the acting.

The looks and glances Amanda makes all through the episode shows that she can play evil so well!

I was blown away by the acting, especially in the death scene and the resuscitation scene, and the timing of Helen grabbing Will's arm was spot on.

I'm off to watch it again.
                        Originally posted by meredithchandler73 View Post
                        Just when I think I couldn't love Sanctuary more, an episode like this comes along and truly blows me away. Amazing episode all around!

I tend to stay away from the interviews and such because I don't like spoilers, but people keep referring to Amanda saying this was some of the bravest work she has ever done. When did she say that? Is it a video interview? Audio? Print? Now that I've seen the ep, I'd like to hear what she had to say about it.

I need to go back and watch it ASAP!
                        I know eh, just one you think Amanda can't impresses or amaze you anymore, BOOM, she does . She amazes me more and more every month.

(((Amanda)))

Originally posted by GateFanSamJack View Post
                        The grins...

Liar! You bloody liar!

This was too good. I'm at a loss for words.

Like a drug...I'll bet Magnus knows from experience.

I just have to see more evil AT. It's like sunshine.
                        Originally posted by GateFanSamJack View Post
                        Edit: it's working now.
                        Whoa, whoa, whoa, that is an AWESOME sig . That pic gives me chills because it reminds me of that moment, and all the other crazy Helen moments. I loved them .

Originally posted by mr_kennedy View Post
                        best sanctuary episode ever

9/10

i wonder if those invisible things are related to those other invisible things that made daniel crazy in sg-1, maybe machello lives in the bermuda triangle
                        Well said, although for me, my verdict was, and still is a soild 10/10!

the sanctuary ptb need to reimburse me for all the gas i wasted driving my mom and i to lunch. why? because i got lost 2 times on our way because i was so busy talking about 'requiem'!

wait, make that 2 and a half times, because even when i found the place, i almost drove by it because, yes, i was talking about 'requiem' again!
                        You make me laugh Sally . Sometimes when I'm driving, or pretty much doing anything, I lose focus because all I think about is Amanda or Sam, or Helen, or Amanda again .

But mostly Helen on Friday nights.

(((~TAE~)))

Comment

Originally posted by hedwig View Post
                          Well, I guess my only comment is I hope whoever is in charge of award nominations (Gemini, Saturn?) was watching this episode! Both performances were award-worthy.
                          Originally posted by staceyde View Post
                          What is there to say..................AWESOME AWESOME AWESOME AWESOME AWESOME.....AMANDA..........AWESOME AWESOME.....

Amanda needs to win an award for this...something...excellent performace.......

AWESOME......
                          how about an 'emmy' award (american version of tv awards)? oh, wait, it's a totally canadian product... so what, she still deserves it! and it's on an american tv station, so there!

and the emmy goes to, amanda tapping, for best performance by a lead female for 'requiem'.

YES, YES, YES . Awesome you guys, I love that . I would LOVE nothing more than to see Amanda win an award for Requiem, an award she sooooooooooooo rightfully deserves . I would squee like crazy, if she won a Gemini, Saturn or better yet, an Emmy . Amanda truly deserves an award for Requiem, she put so much acting skill, effort, talent and passion into the episode it's amazing . Can we contact or do something to help get her nominated?

Of course if she did win, knowing Amanda, she'd be all surprised and what not .

GO AMANDA

Comment

Does anybody know how nominations are made? Is there a committee or something that decides who gets nominated, or do people like us (fans) get to write in and make recommendations? I think an Emmy would be great, but have they ever really given any for SciFi-type stories, series, or acting in same?

Comment

I agree with you A about the Nautilus...rather cliched! BUT...wasn't it cool to learn more abut her past and the fact that Ashley is
                              Spoiler:
                              ...we have an age!!
                              So cross cross posting from one thread to another...my vague and rather simple post about Requiem...
                              I watched it first thing this morning but then I had to go to work...so I was late from watching the ep but I couldn't be that late to post about it...sorry!
                              I think the team out did themselves. I don't know how they are going to better this one. Requiem certainly did not disappoint.
                              Amanda was just awesome. No single word can accurately describe Amanda's performance in this ep.
                              Robin...OMG...I have such a new respect for Robin. It's just grows all the time!
                              My favourite scene...
                              Spoiler:
                              well I actually have a few favourite scenes but the whole scene where Helen dies...OMG...AMAZING!!
                              And when Helen is fixing the valve thingy and she's got this evil smile...ahhhh!!
                              The scene where Will is reviving Helen...it ended to quickly but it was fantastic!

Every time there is a brilliant episode no matter what the show, it always ends to quickly for me...but that's showbiz...I know they have time constraints but...OMG...Requiem has got to rate the highest for the season.
                              Amanda and Robin both deserve top honours for their performances in this ep.
                              I don't think I can praise the whole team at Sanctuary, high enough.
                              It was brilliant...just bloody brilliant!
                              "Live Peace - Speak Kindness - Dwell in Possibility"
                              Hug Your Loved Ones!!
                              ~Amanda Tapping

Comment

On the award thing...if Amanda doesn't get one for her performance in Requiem...then I'll be mighty peeved! There would have to be something seriously wrong with the way the awards are handed out if she misses out here...and I don't say that coz I love the woman...oh no...she was just incredible in the ep. The best!! I want to see more of this!! Please please please...I want more emotional Helen...in what capacity is no worries...I'll take anything but give me more Helen emotion!! Angry Helen, tough Helen, mad Helen, crazy Helen, happy Helen, sad Helen, tired Helen, frustrated Helen, hurt Helen...you get the picture!
                                "Live Peace - Speak Kindness - Dwell in Possibility"
                                Hug Your Loved Ones!!
                                ~Amanda Tapping

Comment

Working...
                                X