Folding Man (104)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jasminaGo View Post
    I remember that too. But it could be that we're both suffering from schizoaffective disorder and have the same hallucinations.
    LOL, any hallucination involving Sanctuary, is a good hallucination. I think...

One word about this ep.

AWESOME!!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by helenmagnus23 View Post
      And the folding men it kind of remided me about the x-files eps Tooms when he squeeze into small areas .
      Originally posted by DominaTemporis View Post
      OMG! I thought the exact same thing!! That guy was creepy and having a dozen (or more) like him was creepier!! But I loved the episode! The twist at the end... great... I was expecting it at first, but then Alex Zahara made the perfect bit of acting in the "I am the monster" speech and I completely forgot that he might be the bad guy!
      I had the same reaction, saw the guy fold in the opening scene and immediately thought 'Tooms!'

I really enjoyed the episode, it felt like the Sanctuary team was really clicking together, which may be because they didn't have to deal with blending new material with the webisode footage.

Loved the humor, especially how Ashley and Helen seem to enjoy teasing Will from the bagels in the beginning to the 'zero to hero' scale at the end. I enjoyed following their investigation into the folding men and Nomad, and really liked Will's scenes with Malcom/Nomad. Totally did not see the twist coming, but then I normally don't pick up on stuff like that.

Overall I think Sanctuary is coming along great. They've tightened up the pacing from the pilot, the characters are really gelling, and the visual effects continue to impress.

I can't wait for Kush this Friday.

Originally posted by tagger View Post
      I really like the new and improved Mother/Daughter relationship - they are a team! YAY!!

I like Magnus' library/ study. Books!!! I'd spend hours and hours in there if it was real.

Now for the dork side of me:

Spoiler:
      I wondered about the anatomy of folding men... I liked seeing the extra joint in the upper arm, but then I went off on a tangent wondering about the upper arm anatomy. The normal biomechanics would be foiled by an extra joint, do folders have extra muscles to control the extra joints? And, Magnus caused folding by stimulating a reflex, a folding reflex? Or just a local muscle/ folding joint response?

By now you are thinking: "Who gives a flip! Tagger's crazy!"

But hints make me curious... that's all.

Curious is better than bored, right? This is part of why I like Sanctuary. DK (and now Egan) leave cool clues.

One scientific niggle: beta blockers don't block pain in humans, they block the fight or flight chemicals. I doubt it is writer error, so it must be Folding Man physiology? Although Magnus seemed to use the beta blockers sentence as a general explanation... for all humans. Meh. Not a huge deal.
      I'm loving the relationship between Ashley and Helen too. You can tell they implicitly trust and rely on one another, which will make the revelation about Druitt that much more dramatic I think.

Love Helen's library! I hope we get to see more of it.

Yay for dorkiness

Spoiler:
      I thought the folding men folded because of fontanel-like sections of their bones that acted like crumple zones. Maybe when Helen triggered the folding reflex she was signaling those sections of bone to soften, which would then allow the men to fold. Doing this to their bones for years may weaken them, which may be why the older folding men ended up with limps.

I love these hints from DK and Sam Egan too, they make the show so much fun to speculate on.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by RealmOfX View Post
        I actually thought that Emilie played Ashley's nervousness on the girder quite well. If you look closely she is never still and watch her hands too, she fidgets and looks down frequently. It was subtle but if you hold up her actions against other tense scenes you can spot the difference. I thought it was well done.
        I'll have to watch it again for the body language - missed it. Ullerup does a great job. I was probably projecting my nervousness on her. Ashley is all about bravado.

Originally posted by JanSam View Post
        LOL well I don't think your crazy and now you have me curious

Spoiler:
        I can't remember what Helen said exactly but Beta blockers are used to help muscle spasms also. If memory serves....they control rigidity and spasms by blocking a chemical reaction in the synapse receptor. So perhaps the folders pain is caused by muscle spasms.

One other thing I noticed and wondered about is that all the folding men walked with a limp. So perhaps the skeletal changes do cause disadvantages in normal activities.
        Good idea on the limp, I was also wondering if it was from years of joint abuse from all the folding?

Also, I was wondering if Egan picked TPG as the folding man drug of choice since gold was a popular treatment for arthritis pain at one point (but is toxic at high oral doses). I still have friends who use cream with gold in it for their joints.

Originally posted by EvenstarSRV View Post
        I had the same reaction, saw the guy fold in the opening scene and immediately thought 'Tooms!'

I really enjoyed the episode, it felt like the Sanctuary team was really clicking together, which may be because they didn't have to deal with blending new material with the webisode footage.

Loved the humor, especially how Ashley and Helen seem to enjoy teasing Will from the bagels in the beginning to the 'zero to hero' scale at the end. I enjoyed following their investigation into the folding men and Nomad, and really liked Will's scenes with Malcom/Nomad. Totally did not see the twist coming, but then I normally don't pick up on stuff like that.

Overall I think Sanctuary is coming along great. They've tightened up the pacing from the pilot, the characters are really gelling, and the visual effects continue to impress.

I can't wait for Kush this Friday.

I'm loving the relationship between Ashley and Helen too. You can tell they implicitly trust and rely on one another, which will make the revelation about Druitt that much more dramatic I think.

Love Helen's library! I hope we get to see more of it.

Yay for dorkiness

Spoiler:
        I thought the folding men folded because of fontanel-like sections of their bones that acted like crumple zones. Maybe when Helen triggered the folding reflex she was signaling those sections of bone to soften, which would then allow the men to fold. Doing this to their bones for years may weaken them, which may be why the older folding men ended up with limps.

I love these hints from DK and Sam Egan too, they make the show so much fun to speculate on.
        Cool ideas.

I'm not really artistic or a writer, but it sure would be fun to create a new world, abnormals, all the graphics for their ideas!
        Words have tremendous power. The right words spoken by the right people at the right times can lift up communities, transform lives, mend relationships, break hearts—even topple empires.
        Quint Studer

Comment

I really liked this episode. I caught the twist right away, but still enjoyed how it all played out. It was very Edward Norton in Primal Fear, which is a good thing.

When I did the interview with AT at AT3 she mentioned this episode and I immediately thought 'Tooms', but this was completely different - stretching vs. folding and no liver eating in site. And also, there was a whole community of folders and not just one really old creepy liver eating mutant.

The final line for me a a bit of a groaner, probably because I also saw it coming. Maybe I just have the same twisted thought pattern and humour as the peeps on this show.

And much of this ep was shot on location and not on green screen.

Comment

Originally posted by AutumnDream View Post
            Yeah, this is a fun show. I like AT far better as Helen than I have liked her as Sam for years. As a fan of gothic architecture I'm always pleased by the sanctuary itself, that kind of atmosphere puts me in a good mood. I don't really care for procedural-type shows, but all the little things add up to make it pretty enjoyable for me. I'm looking forward to seeing Druitt return, CH is an impressive actor and the storyline with him is interesting.
            I am the oppisite I like Sam more than Helen right now

"Ducks from flying objects"

I like to relate to characters and Helen is too closed off for me right now what I am watching for is Will I really enjoy him I like the strong intelligent emotional characters who are trusting because that's how I am, Elizabeth was my favorite on SGA those are the characters I relate to.

The ep it self was good but I hope Helen gets better because so far I am disapointed with this character right now sorry if I offended anyone I like Amanda I want her to do well.
            sigpic
            My Favorite Scifi/Fantasy T.V. Shows, Movies, Franchises, My Sports Teams & My Fav Sitcom
            poundpuppy29 AKA Erika = Astrology Nut, Scifi-Fantasy Junkie & Massachusetts Girl

Comment

Originally posted by poundpuppy29 View Post

I like to relate to characters and Helen is too closed off for me right now what I am watching for is Will I really enjoy him I like the strong intelligent emotional characters who are trusting because that's how I am, Elizabeth was my favorite on SGA those are the characters I relate to.

The ep it self was good but I hope Helen gets better because so far I am disapointed with this character right now sorry if I offended anyone I like Amanda I want her to do well.
              No worries, no offense taken by me, and no flying objects headed your way.

I actually really like that Helen is quite closed off right now because I think it is very appropriate for the character. As someone who's lived for as long as she has, Helen has probably seen everything from the best to the worst of aspects of society and herself. Because of that history, to me it makes sense for her to not be as trusting or open as Will, and living through all those decades has also probably taught her to guard her emotions very carefully. Which is something I do relate to for various reasons.

I really enjoy open, emotional characters as well, Daniel in SG-1, Elizabeth in SGA, and Will in Sanctuary, and I'm sure we'll see Helen gradually opening up to Will the more they work together. And she did tell him about Druitt, her deepest, darkest secret, so I think she can open up when appropriate. But at this point I don't think it fits the Helen character to be very open or trusting, and personally I rather like keeping her aloof and mysterious to a certain extent. As she says in this episode, 'a girl's gotta have her secrets'.

sigpic

Comment

Really nice episode, I liked it a lot. And yes, I didn't see it comming...
                sigpic

Comment

Hehe, there is no need from flying objects. It's just how you feel about it, and I just happen to disagree. I love the fact that Helen is closed off and has this mystery around her. Will is an open book, easy to read, predict his next move, and I see no fun about it. We've found out about his past, about what he did most of his life, why he is the way he is, and what now? While with Helen, I sit at the edge of my chair, hanging onto her every word, hoping to find out something more. Like in the roof scene in the pilot. When Will asks her if she's a little cold, her answer is "Opinion seems to be divided". He was talking about the weather but she wasn't, which brings me to what EvenstarSRV said. Helen has learned to guard her secrets very carefully, and for a good reason. We see these little teasers into her past and present, but we don't really know who she is and why. I feel the same way about John. This is why those two are my favourite characters. And that mystery is the reason I can't wait for the next ep, and the one after that, and the one after that.
                  sigpic

Comment

I was wondering this morning why we didn't see any folding women. Did they explain it in the episode and I just don't remember? Maybe it's a sex-linked genetic thing?

Of course, my husband said folding women wouldn't work because their, um, chests wouldn't fold and would get in the way. And I'm wondering how strange it would be to give birth to a folding baby. Sure, babies' heads already do what was described, but folding babies would probably do that to the extent that childbirth would be effortless!

Having said all that, I really liked the episode, and all of them so far.

Comment

No worries, no offense taken by me, and no flying objects headed your way.

I actually really like that Helen is quite closed off right now because I think it is very appropriate for the character. As someone who's lived for as long as she has, Helen has probably seen everything from the best to the worst of aspects of society and herself. Because of that history, to me it makes sense for her to not be as trusting or open as Will, and living through all those decades has also probably taught her to guard her emotions very carefully. Which is something I do relate to for various reasons.

I really enjoy open, emotional characters as well, Daniel in SG-1, Elizabeth in SGA, and Will in Sanctuary, and I'm sure we'll see Helen gradually opening up to Will the more they work together. And she did tell him about Druitt, her deepest, darkest secret, so I think she can open up when appropriate. But at this point I don't think it fits the Helen character to be very open or trusting, and personally I rather like keeping her aloof and mysterious to a certain extent. As she says in this episode, 'a girl's gotta have her secrets'.
                      Originally posted by jasminaGo View Post
                      Hehe, there is no need from flying objects. It's just how you feel about it, and I just happen to disagree. I love the fact that Helen is closed off and has this mystery around her. Will is an open book, easy to read, predict his next move, and I see no fun about it. We've found out about his past, about what he did most of his life, why he is the way he is, and what now? While with Helen, I sit at the edge of my chair, hanging onto her every word, hoping to find out something more. Like in the roof scene in the pilot. When Will asks her if she's a little cold, her answer is "Opinion seems to be divided". He was talking about the weather but she wasn't, which brings me to what EvenstarSRV said. Helen has learned to guard her secrets very carefully, and for a good reason. We see these little teasers into her past and present, but we don't really know who she is and why. I feel the same way about John. This is why those two are my favourite characters. And that mystery is the reason I can't wait for the next ep, and the one after that, and the one after that.
                      No flying objects from here either. Everyone's opinion is valid because it is his/her opinion.

I agree with the comments of Evenstar and jasminaGo. Also, as someone said somewhere on this site, I think TPTB are giving us more on Will to start as we are finding out about the Sanctuary through his eyes. I am hopeful that future episodes will reveal more about Helen. Then you might change your mind.

Originally posted by belevision View Post
                      I was wondering this morning why we didn't see any folding women. Did they explain it in the episode and I just don't remember? Maybe it's a sex-linked genetic thing?

Of course, my husband said folding women wouldn't work because their, um, chests wouldn't fold and would get in the way. :rolleyes: And I'm wondering how strange it would be to give birth to a folding baby. Sure, babies' heads already do what was described, but folding babies would probably do that to the extent that childbirth would be effortless!

Having said all that, I really liked the episode, and all of them so far.

LOL!

Thanks to Pengyn, SamJackShipLover and Mala for the sig.

Comment

Originally posted by belevision View Post
                        Oh wow, good catch, I totally missed the fact that there were no folding women. It seems like the folding ability can pass from father to son, so you could be right, it may be a sex-linked disorder. Maybe a mutation in the Y chromosome, which would mean only the men could fold.

I don't think they addressed this in the episode, but maybe it's something they can hopefully come back to in season 2.

sigpic

Comment

Okay on the subject of Helen...Will and liking them...

I like them all...but then again...I totally fell in love with this show.

Will- he is the person were you know the most of now. You already saw a lot of his past through a few flashbacks and a few scenes throughout the episodes...the collegues, ex-GF etc...this makes him less of a mysterious person. You know what to expect, which is fun and it also makes you understand his character a lot better too! I like him for that, because I know what kind of person we are dealing with...I think this fits into the show because Helen also knows everything about Will...(even the boxers to briefs )

Helen- She is a very mysterious person...we almost don't know a thing about her. If you see her in the show till now she is almost always talking about others, not about herself...only in the end scene of the episode: Sanctuary for all...I like the mystery around her, it fits. But it makes me always want to know more, I want to know what happened in the past...why did everything go wrong...how did she come in contact with this world...how is it that she is 157 years old...
                          It's a constant thing you want to know. You want to know answers...if you love secrets then I think, Helen is a very good person to like...if you like more the expected you go for Will.

Me, I like Helen, I like secrets and finding out mysteries...playing the detective of what happened... I can understand why people like Will more...It's just what you search into a person...I like Will too...but that is partly because he's hot.

Anyway...I'm babbling way too much now...so...that's it....

oh and on the folding man theory...I'm not that smart with biologic facts...I just enjoy the show for what it is and don't look if something is possible or not...I'm watching Sci-fi...lots is possible then...IMHO
                          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by starlover View Post
                            Me too, on both counts!

oh and on the folding man theory...I'm not that smart with biologic facts...I just enjoy the show for what it is and don't look if something is possible or not...I'm watching Sci-fi...lots is possible then...IMHO
                            That's fine... I just find it fun to think up ways that something could happen; makes it more real to me even if it is fantastically unreal by nature.

Comment

Okay on the subject of Helen...Will and liking them...

Will- he is the person were you know the most of now. You already saw a lot of his past through a few flashbacks and a few scenes throughout the episodes...the collegues, ex-GF etc...this makes him less of a mysterious person. You know what to expect, which is fun and it also makes you understand his character a lot better too! I like him for that, because I know what kind of person we are dealing with...I think this fits into the show because Helen also knows everything about Will...(even the boxers to briefs )

Helen- She is a very mysterious person...we almost don't know a thing about her. If you see her in the show till now she is almost always talking about others, not about herself...only in the end scene of the episode: Sanctuary for all...I like the mystery around her, it fits. But it makes me always want to know more, I want to know what happened in the past...why did everything go wrong...how did she come in contact with this world...how is it that she is 157 years old...
                              It's a constant thing you want to know. You want to know answers...if you love secrets then I think, Helen is a very good person to like...if you like more the expected you go for Will.

Me, I like Helen, I like secrets and finding out mysteries...playing the detective of what happened... I can understand why people like Will more...It's just what you search into a person...I like Will too...but that is partly because he's hot.
                              Good descriptions of the Will and Helen characters. I like both for different reasons, but I'm with you in that I'm just totally loving the show overall. And Will is pretty easy on the eyes.

I'm a sort of scientist-in-training right now, so it's almost like a tic for me, I watch any sci-fi show or movie and I can't help trying to explain the stuff I see scientifically.

I used to just think it over in my head, but then I joined the GW forum and discovered lots of people I can inflict my scientific ramblings on.

But that's what I love most about sci-fi. It can take established scientific principles and theories and put that 'what if' spin on them, which I think makes for great stories. And it's even cooler when stuff that used to be the stuff of science-fiction, like robots, actually becomes scientific fact.

sigpic

Comment

I'm a sort of scientist-in-training right now, so it's almost like a tic for me, I watch any sci-fi show or movie and I can't help trying to explain the stuff I see scientifically.

I used to just think it over in my head, but then I joined the GW forum and discovered lots of people I can inflict my scientific ramblings on.
                                I relate. I'm an engineer and I live with an engineer, and we watch the same shows and enjoy dissecting them within an inch of their (unreal) lives.

On the down side it leads to a lot of "You've got to be kidding me!" moments while watching shows, but I've learned to be better at handwaving when it seems the writers are.

To bring this back to Sanctuary: Just about everyone in this show is hot. Even Druitt, because I love CH's voice.

Comment

Working...
                                X