Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

My Opinion/Feeling on S4 Ratings. Will there be S5?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The end of March is coming, and still nothing...
    sigpic

Comment

Maybe it's a rumor, but I heard the Studio has closed down.

I hate to admit it, but I think Sanctuary is dead.

Comment

Originally posted by Abnormal View Post
        The end of March is coming, and still nothing...
        yeah, i figured that we would know by april.
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Celandine View Post
          Maybe it's a rumor, but I heard the Studio has closed down.

I hate to admit it, but I think Sanctuary is dead.
          The studio hasn't closed down. They simply did not renew the lease because they didn't want to pay rent until they know if they will proceed with production.
          -

Comment

Originally posted by RealmOfX View Post
            The studio hasn't closed down. They simply did not renew the lease...
            Same thing, no?

Comment

Originally posted by Snowman37 View Post
              Same thing, no?
              No
              -

Comment

Originally posted by Snowman37 View Post
                Same thing, no?
                Yes.
                sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver View Post
                  One thing with 13 episode seasons...bear with me, it's early
                  WAKE UP SKY!!!
                  5 days a week that they can air stuff. 3 hours a night, minus 2 for Wrestling, that's 13 shows, then times four because of 13 episode seasons = 1/4th of a 52 week year....so theoretically they'd have room for up to 52 different shows.
                  OR
                  Alternatively, it also means that as 13 ep seasons are effectively "seasonal", successful shows can be given 2 slots (in essence making them the "traditional 26 eps season" if they work, yet giving the network the "wiggle room" to decide weather it is "worth it" to them.
                  It's a rota of 4 different shows for each time slot (I left the weekends out due to the saturday cruddy movie and whatever they air on sunday)
                  Yup, 4 or 2 depending on the value of the returns of each show in each slot.

Some shows get longer than 13 episodes, which will reduce the number of course, but my point is they do have room to put stuff in if they want to. The main deciding factor is money. They surely have a finite budget, and their goal of course, is to spend as little as possible and get as much in return as they can.
                  I honestly think that the "seasonal "13 ep" model" will be the way forward for shows, it has advantages for both the viewer, the network, and the follow on DVD and international markets.
                  sigpic
                  ALL THANKS TO THE WONDERFUL CREATOR OF THIS SIG GO TO R.I.G.
                  A lie is just a truth that hasn't gone through conversion therapy yet
                  The truth isn't the truth

Comment

Originally posted by Abnormal View Post
                    Yes.
                    No. Hiring a studio is easy once they know they are going forward, it's done ALL the time. It's simply part of the business. Heck, their last "studio" was an old bicycle factory. Where there's a will (and financing), there's a way.

I do wish people would stop trying to read something into every little thing that becomes known. At the moment Sanctuary is in limbo, it's not cancelled and it's not been renewed. When they know something for certain they'll announce it.
                    -

Comment

Helping the rumor mill grind to a halt:

Yes, the studio offices no longer exist. The lease came up earlier this year, and with no definite sign of renewal it was decided to not renew the lease until they knew if there'd be a season five. It also worked out because (paraphrased) 'they were outgrowing the space and really needed to move bigger'

So rather than sinking in what was likely tens or hundreds of thousands in rent on a maybe, they let the building go.

As per a skype convo reported by a fan over the weekend, Sanctuary has NOT been cancelled. Renewal seems to hinge on the Sanctuary group being able to raise a set amount of money.

So....imagine it this way. The budget for the show is 20 million (i'm just making up numbers here of course), skiffy is willing to put in 7 million, it's up to Sanctuary prods to raise the remaining 13 million....but their financial backers either aren't able or aren't willing to put up that much so there's an impasse. If Sanctuary prods can raise that set amount of money then skiffy will sign on the bottom line and promise to air the show.

And, it seems, skiffy is willing to wait.

Amanda also reportedly said, again paraphrased 'even if we do get renewed the show won't air this fall'.....which is likely due to the months and months of post production.

Martin and her working on Primeval....it's more about keeping busy (and keeping money coming in) than it is a career choice. They're, in essence, taking on odd jobs to fill the time until a decision is made with Sanctuary.

So the show is NOT dead. It just needs investors.

Think of it as, you're wanting to buy a car, and you're going to buy a car....as soon as you come up with the down payment. And you're not going to keep renting a parking space until you do come up with that down payment.
                      Last edited by Skydiver; 03 April 2012, 03:25 AM.
                      Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

edited to correct a type....shoulda typed MAD instead of S4K...my bad
                        Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Well, I don't have thousands of dollars lying around to bid on skype chats so hadn't heard the 'official' word yet.

Will fans hang around though for what may be years before a new season?

Yes, I'm playing devil's advocate here. Someone has to amongst all the cheerleaders to get a perspective on things. Not that I'm bashing as I do hope it's renewed myself, but I like to look at things from both points of view.

Comment

Well, I don't have thousands of dollars lying around to bid on skype chats so hadn't heard the 'official' word yet.

Yes, I'm playing devil's advocate here. Someone has to amongst all the cheerleaders to get a perspective on things. Not that I'm bashing as I do hope it's renewed myself, but I like to look at things from both points of view.
                            ROFL perspective was what was being offered.
                            -

Comment

People will wait, look at Mad Men's return.
                              Disclaimer: All opinions stated within this post are relevant to the author herself, and do not in any way represent the opinions of God, Country, The Powers That Be or Greater Fandom.

Any resemblance to aforementioned opinions are purely coincidental.

Comment

I read an interesting survey today about a big reason people use social media. Here's a quote from a short article about it in Slice of SciFi.

According to a survey about social TV byTVGuide.com in partnership with the Social TV Summit, 76 percent of respondents say their main motivation for social activity — which includes posts, status updates, check-ins and comments — is to prevent their favorite show from being canceled. That figure is up from 66 percent from a year ago.

I had to read it a couple of times because if true, that is really an amazing statistic. I would think posters of say, this forum and others like it would be included in that number. But I would doubt that we would make up a very large percentage of that number. What shocks me is the amount of other people that use social media to let their voices be known, about TV shows!

So what this says to me is that a whole lot of people are vocal about what is put on TV, but TPTB still aren't receptive to the publics needs and wants. I say this because very few shows on the bubble are actually saved.

Anyway, thought I'd share this as most of the time I feel like those of us who are passionate about what we watch sometimes feel like we're alone in these battles. Turns out we're not.... (at least statistically among the respondents of that survey!)

Comment

Working...
                                X