Season 4 Spoiler Discussion Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Maybe that's the problem I have with her; I didn't like Vala either

It's not just the airheadedness, but also that they're supposed to have sex appeal and be awesome. It just doesn't come across for me.

As for the musical episode, I just watched the interview with AT (posted in the spoiler announcement thread) and the way she described it, I'm thinking it won't be that bad (and she didn't mention it being Abby's ep either, so that's another bonus).
    Unmade Plans (WIP: 11/20):
    Sam's life takes a turn in an unexpected direction when she's faced with an unplanned pregnancy. The decision to keep the baby and raise it on her own will alter her life forever. Relationships are put to the test, especially the one between her and Jack. She doesn't know what to expect from him and he surprises her at every turn.
    On FFnet or AO3

My S/J fics can be found on FFnet and AO3. I also tweet and tumble about the ship and my writing/stories.

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver View Post
      No harm guys. We just have to think....would we like it if Sam got called a bimbo???

I do not think that her portrayal fits in with her being an FBi agent or being a person that I would see Will spending time with. I really, really hope there's something to her that's hidden or that she's downplayed.
      Fair comment.

I do hope that one idea you have floated, that she has a hidden agenda, comes to be. That would be a great twist.

Thanks to Pengyn, SamJackShipLover and Mala for the sig.

Comment

Abby being a cabal agent....dude that would be epic. Especially if she fooled Will AND Helen AND Kate AND Biggie...no 'yes, i knew but i let her stay to see what she knew' junk. If she foolls one of them after all this time, she fools them all.
        Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

I totally agree with you about Abby. I feel that they 'vala' her.....overplay her goofiness and sex appeal and being will's girlfriend and underplay the FBI agent she's supposed to be.

surely you can find a better balance between being a bit goofy and being a complete and total ditz
          there is charming goofiness - kinda like Amanda in person
          and then there's the cringeworthy stupid goofiness - which abby seems to have in abundance.

I don't mind her as a character per se. and she can bring that 'that's a what??????' 'everyman' perception to the show that Will first brought with him (you know, new guy amazement), but sometimes they just play it too far for my tastes.
          Yeah, I think a degree of goofiness can be an interesting quirk of the character, but I think they needed to focus on the FBI agent/behavioral profiler more. IMO they made the same mistake with Will in those scenes, there was an immaturity that I didn't think fit him, at least to that extent.

I thought they found a good balance for them together in Out of the Blue, so I hope that continues in S4.

I'm ambivalent about the musical episode. I'll give it a try. But now knowing that it'll focus on Abby, I have this 'great, One Night Part Deux'....and I hope I'm wrong. I just feel they're doing the character such a disservice by making her so goofy
          From the interviews I've seen AT has quite specifically said the musical episode is not goofy, and RD has said that the situation is rather serious in tone, so I'm rather hopefully it'll work out ok. I think there will also be a better balance with the cast as opposed to the heavy Will/Abby focus in One Night.

Abby being a cabal agent....dude that would be epic. Especially if she fooled Will AND Helen AND Kate AND Biggie...no 'yes, i knew but i let her stay to see what she knew' junk. If she foolls one of them after all this time, she fools them all.
          That would be a fantastic twist, though I'm doubtful that's where the writers are going with her. I'm still curious as to how she had access to classified information that Helen didn't have, esp since she's 'just' an FBI agent.
          Last edited by EvenstarSRV; 27 July 2011, 07:09 PM.

sigpic

Comment

Well actually, when she was first introduced and to this day, my mom has been suspicious of Abby being something like that. Or at the very least more than she appears to be. I'm sitting there like, no she is just goofy, but everytime my mom sees her she says there is something suspicious.

Dunno how much that counts for anything, lol, but she always is an interesting contrast to fandoms perspective on the show. I find that she (my sort of gauge for the "every-viewer") tends to be a lot less cynical about characterizations and continuity/plot in some areas than I (more into the fandom) tend to be. And she has been completely right (to my shock sometimes) about things before.

As for my thoughts on Abby, I think that she comes off as very green both in life and the FBI, which manifests in her goofyness, and she uses that the cover her own naivety. Kind of like someone who has trained a lot, or has a lot of education to prepare for fieldwork, but who has only ever really been learning and behind a desk; not actually in the field. So I do think the writers have an opportunity to use her interactions with Will and the Sanctuary to break her in a bit, and to make her a little more worldly.

And given what little we have learned about this musical episode maybe that is what they do in Fugue, so hopefully it'll be good. (And as a musician I look forward to it simply to see what kind of melodic themes and lyrics they create)

Comment

This might help explain the musical episodes concept...Amanda did say that it wasn't going to be like other musicals.

The meaning of Fugue...which incidently is currently in the top 40% of lookups on Merriam-Webster.com.
              1a: a musical composition in which one or two themes are repeated or imitated by successively entering voices and contrapuntally developed in a continuous interweaving of the voice parts
              b: something that resembles a fugue especially in interweaving repetitive elements
              2: a disturbed state of consciousness in which the one affected seems to perform acts in full awareness but upon recovery cannot recollect the acts performed

What I find myself giggling about is how every season they get wet...literally...I did ask Amanda about this at AT4 and she said she would have to ask tptb about that one...guess they thought that dunking her every season was a good enough answer.
              "Live Peace - Speak Kindness - Dwell in Possibility"
              Hug Your Loved Ones!!
              ~Amanda Tapping

Comment

Going back to Magnus' love interest I'd love to see Cliff Simon play that part! I think those two would have such chemistry on screen together, I enjoyed thier interactions on SG1 and would love to see him playing a character that would fit in Sanctuary's world
                sigpic

my fanfic

Comment

Originally posted by Mandysg1 View Post
                  Going back to Magnus' love interest I'd love to see Cliff Simon play that part! I think those two would have such chemistry on screen together, I enjoyed thier interactions on SG1 and would love to see him playing a character that would fit in Sanctuary's world
                  Yes please!!!
                  "Live Peace - Speak Kindness - Dwell in Possibility"
                  Hug Your Loved Ones!!
                  ~Amanda Tapping

Comment

oh, me too!!
                    sally

sigpic

Comment

oooh, that would be good

course chris judge could do it too
                      Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by mandysg1 View Post
                        going back to magnus' love interest i'd love to see cliff simon play that part! I think those two would have such chemistry on screen together, i enjoyed thier interactions on sg1 and would love to see him playing a character that would fit in sanctuary's world :d
                        hot!

Comment

Oh yep!
                          sigpic

Comment

I'm not really inspired by the musical episode *shrugs* doesn't really do it for me... but then this is the Sanctuary team so I'm sure whatever the ep is about it will be an interesting take on it - and ofc, gonna be fun watching them sing

As for Cliff Simon - in agreement. Totally want to see him guest starring!! Hmmm.... perhaps a TappingTuesday question ?
                            sigpic
                            ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ my fanfics ~ my twitter ~ teslen thread ~ * ~ * ~ * ~

Comment

Watched one of the interviews from CC and AT said there were 5 or 6 songs in Fugue. She also seemed very enthusiastic about it. Makes me feel better.

Thanks to Pengyn, SamJackShipLover and Mala for the sig.

Comment

Hye guys, anybody can confirm that Sanctuary's gonna stay on Monday evening or it'll be back on friday?

Comment

Working...
                                X