No announcement yet.

Mortal or Immortal?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Heck, I completely forgot I started this topic! Uni work has taken over my life for the past month, (and unfortunately continues to do so till mid-January )

Thankyou all for the responses! Some cool ideas for abnormalities if you could choose one...

Originally posted by Samantha.Majka View Post
    Great idea for a topic.
    I am sure that you woudn't be suprised by my answer If I would be with Helen, I would like to be an abnormal with empathic skills, I would like to effect person's emotions and feelings, I would like to help to get people to better mood and help them to relieve the pain, sadness On the other hand, I would like to use my skill for capturing new abnormals .. or use my skills against someone bad who would like to hurt Sanctuary Team.

I think that Helen is immortal .. because ( I guess ) it has been said, her DNA transformed and she isn't growing old ..
    Am I right?
    She grows old - just at a much reduced pace to the rest of us mere mortals

Originally posted by sanctuary girl View Post
    Givern the choice, I would prefer to be mortal. I don't think I'm strong enough to face the loss of loved ones that comes with beeing immortal. A few month back I lost a really close friend, I have known him nearly my entire life and it was a really hard time for me. I don't think I could live with the knowlege that I would eventually outlive everyone I love. I'm not that strong a person so I clearly vote for mortal.

The question about an abnormality is a little more difficult to answer. Druitts teleportation would be really cool but I don't want the madness part. In general I think something like Claras invisibility would be something for me. But that is a question I have to think about a little more.
    Firstly,
    Spoiler:
    sorry to hear about your loss

I agree I don't think I could cope with outliving everyone I love either... of course if we were all immortal it might be different... I'm not sure whether eternal life for all of us would necessarily be an advantage though... would immortality necessarily mean we didn't get ill? It comes to mind because it's just one element of human suffering, and to have suffering that is limitless would make me choose mortality any day...
    And what about population? Would giving birth become something of a sad event rather than a happy one?

On the subject of immortality though... can anyone recommend any good reads? or films? that address how life might be for a community of immortals? None come to mind...

Teleportation would definitely be cool. The invisibility - well the biggset downside has got to be the getting naked - for me at least - I don't think I could trust my own abilities enough to venture outside and hope I was invisible as I intended

Originally posted by General Jumper One View Post
    immortal (Helen's kind) and either invisibility or flying for me or be the master of space and time (stop time, go back in time, go forward in time, teleportation, all in one)
    I don't think I could cope with being the master of space and time ... I would confuse myself the whole butterfly effect thing... I'd be too worried I'd change something drastic by going back in time.

Originally posted by katjoy View Post
    definately mortal... i dont want to outlive everyone i would ever love... plus it would get boring living forever imo...

as for abnormal power id like a self healing power... basically like wolverine, minus the claws...
    But if you had a self healing power - would that not make you immortal? I'd quite like to be able to heal others if I had a power, but without the adverse effects - like in the green mile, to have such a gift that does damage to you to use it... that would suck

Originally posted by Kidwizz View Post
    Depends on the immortality. If it was like Helen's, then yes, cause I could always... end it if need be. But as for the other kind.. hell no.

As for the power... I'm gonna be boring and go teleportation.
    I think if immortality was as such as we could 'potentially' live forever, rather than 'definitely live forever', then that would definitely appeal more. To know you have the option of an out if you desired it, would give you a better sense of control...
    sigpic
    ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ my fanfics ~ my twitter ~ teslen thread ~ * ~ * ~ * ~

Comment

I'd go with Claire's healing power (Heroes) that way I'm immortal until i blow off my head or get it blown off.

Comment

Or get something spikey stuck in the back of your head
        sigpic

Comment

Something I have always dreamed of having though is telekinesis (like Sylar) or magnetism (like Magneto) and shapeshifting
          Last edited by General Jumper One; 13 December 2010, 07:24 PM. Reason: added Shapeshifting

Comment

Telekinesis would be cool I think shapeshifting could also be quite fun... although I would imagine an ability like that would have to involve some amount of pain when shifting...

*ponders it*
            sigpic

Comment

I think Nikola used to be immortal (as a vampire), but now as he has lost his vamp-powers he must have started aging just like any other person. Poor Niko... (
              sigpic
              Sig: by me. My DeviantART

Comment

Originally posted by TeslaFan View Post
                I think you're right, they can be killed but the wont die of natural causes for a LONG time
                ...and John's longevity (I think) is from being injected with Helen's blood after having undergone the source blood experiment.
                If Helen's blood is what made John age so slowly, it seems this would pose a dilemma for her whether she can ethically give her blood to help people she cares about, or even if she is ethically obligated to. Interesting question, kind of like Claire's situation in Heroes.

Comment

Originally posted by sparklegem View Post
                  If Helen's blood is what made John age so slowly, it seems this would pose a dilemma for her whether she can ethically give her blood to help people she cares about, or even if she is ethically obligated to. Interesting question, kind of like Claire's situation in Heroes.
                  I was thinking her blood only works on Blood Source altered ppl. Meaning (now) Tesla and Druitt.

Comment

Originally posted by kes View Post
                    I was thinking her blood only works on Blood Source altered ppl. Meaning (now) Tesla and Druitt.
                    I think that makes a lot of sense.
                    sigpicsig by Isolde

Comment

I like that. It would be a good way to prevent it from becoming over-powered and necessarily ignored like Claire in Heroes.

Comment

hmmmm looks to be an interesting topic... lets see.. immortal... powers. telepathy, telekineis, teleportation.. course this does come from me and im a highlander addict as well.. so well.. as long as we're not having to worry about losin our heads we're good..
                        sigpic

Comment

I'd take Tesla's previous Vampire powers if I was an abnormal. Smarter, faster, stronger, long life with some electrical powers too...sounds pretty fun!
                          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Spimman View Post
                            I'd take Tesla's previous Vampire powers if I was an abnormal. Smarter, faster, stronger, long life with some electrical powers too...sounds pretty fun!
                            I think I'd take Helen's.
                            sigpicsig by Isolde

Comment

If that's true then why doesn't Helen give her blood to Nikola?
                              sigpic
                              My tumblr

Comment

Originally posted by Sam1969 View Post
                                If that's true then why doesn't Helen give her blood to Nikola?
                                What's wrong with Nikola?
                                She never gave it to Watson thou. I'm guessing because he never asked. She did think for a while her blood was respossible for Druitt going Ripper.

Its a theory I have, the writers never mention or hinted at it (that I can remember).

Comment

Working...
                                X