evaluation of Kate

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Skydiver View Post
    thus far with Kate, despite her rather cliched start, they haven't sexualized her. the banter hasn't been overt and flity, her clothing style hasn't been ott revealing..so i can deal. I have a short tolerance for the typical TV 'let's make sure the pretty woman is well shown off' attitude.

Beyond that, I like the potential for Kate to redeem herself. to work towards another future or outcome than 'disposable cabal resource'. I have no strong feelings about her either way, so i'm willing to wait and see what she becomes. Can Damian & co break teh cliched mold and make her unique?
    i just can't help comparing kate to vala (from stargate), b/c they're so similar in so many ways. BUT, kate hasn't been turned into a pigtailed bimbo, so i'm very happy about that.

but i guess that's part of why it's so easy for me to take kate, b/c i know how 'bad' it could be in the wrong hands...
    sally

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by jckfan55 View Post
      I do like that Kate thinks Magnus is weird.
      i loved that!

helen prob does really come off weird for someone like kate, who's used to doing things without thinking of others. but that's changing for kate, and helen bringing her into the fold was the beginning.
      sally

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by majorsal View Post
        why do you despise her? i'd like to know.
        Painfully obvious cliched character, and when she's not boring, she's so far beyond annoying it's almost intolerable. Serious fingernails on a chalkboard.

Between Kate and the god-awful splitscreen/multicam thing, it's a wonder I'm even watching the show at all any more. Which is really a shame, the rest of them (AT/RD/CH/JY) are all fantastic actors and do great characters. And the established series mythology is really really cool. But those two things have got me seriously considering quitting the show entirely
        "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

you've hit the nail on the head in why i'm so confused by the ashley love/kate hate stuff. ash wasn't that great of a character either really, but now that she's gone, ppl are suddenly acting in love with her.

kate is pretty much like ashley (in many ways), except she's not helen's daughter.
          ^^ this is just my opinion, from a confessed huge amanda fan. i guess there's HELEN, and then there's the other characters.
          Then why get rid of Ashley in the first place? Why replace one character with almost the exact same thing. They never gave Ashley a full chance. It was always some kind of Will or Helen story with the other people taking a back seat. And I see a simliar problem in S2. Kate is getting a little bit better treatment then Ashley but the problem is the same. They are getting little insight into who they but that minor considering the abudance of Will and Helen.
          Originally posted by aretood2
          Jelgate is right

Comment

i just can't help comparing kate to vala (from stargate), b/c they're so similar in so many ways. BUT, kate hasn't been turned into a pigtailed bimbo, so i'm very happy about that.

but i guess that's part of why it's so easy for me to take kate, b/c i know how 'bad' it could be in the wrong hands...
            If I compared Kate to anyone in Stargate, it would be Jonas Quinn. And I liked Jonas.

Off that note, I don't watch the show because of "Amanda Tapping" or because of historical figures being portrayed. I watch it because the story line is intriguing. Sure, I thought that getting rid of Ashley was not the best idea in the world, but I also think that if they had to...I hate using the word replace, so I'll just say...fill the gap with Ashley's disappearance, we would have been unhappy no matter what.

I like Kate. She brings something rather new to the show, a great element in a great show. *shrugs*
            If you wish to see more of my rants, diatribes, and general comments, check out my Twitter account SirRyanR!
            Check out Pharaoh Hamenthotep's wicked 3D renders here!
            If you can prove me wrong, go for it. I enjoy being proven wrong.

sigpic
            Worship the Zefron. Always the Zefron.

Comment

^^ this is just my opinion, from a confessed huge amanda fan. i guess there's HELEN, and then there's the other characters.
              Originally posted by DigiFluid View Post
              Between Kate and the god-awful splitscreen/multicam thing, it's a wonder I'm even watching the show at all any more. Which is really a shame, the rest of them (AT/RD/CH/JY) are all fantastic actors and do great characters. And the established series mythology is really really cool. But those two things have got me seriously considering quitting the show entirely
              I got to thinking about my ambivalence toward Ashley and absolute dislike of Kate on a very long and delayed flight today. Was I just watching for Helen/AT? Did I like the stories? And other questions like that. I'm not really a "monster" series person and I've never followed a TV series like this while it was being aired (I found SG1 stuff on the internet after the series ended), so I was wondering why I've been watching, looking at internet forums, and staying interested.

Although Henry and Will are favorites of others and OK characters, I'm rather ambivalent toward them too. Then I got to thinking about the Five and I really liked the story of that group, not to mention the history aspect of the show, which I love. I even have liked the two lady villians.

As I thought about what each of these characters I like have in common, I realized they are all the 'older' members of the cast. That was kind of an A-Ha moment. Am I getting caught up in some kind of generation gap? I'm drawn to the characters more my age? Do I not understand the "new" stuff portrayed by the younger actors? Are the older actors just better and more experienced at their profession and I'm picking up on the others' inexperience not knowing what I'm seeing?

What about you all? Do you think Kate's age factors into your like/dislike of the character? Just curious.

Comment

Originally posted by hisg1fans View Post
                I got to thinking about my ambivalence toward Ashley and absolute dislike of Kate on a very long and delayed flight today. Was I just watching for Helen/AT? Did I like the stories? And other questions like that. I'm not really a "monster" series person and I've never followed a TV series like this while it was being aired (I found SG1 stuff on the internet after the series ended), so I was wondering why I've been watching, looking at internet forums, and staying interested.

Although Henry and Will are favorites of others and OK characters, I'm rather ambivalent toward them too. Then I got to thinking about the Five and I really liked the story of that group, not to mention the history aspect of the show, which I love. I even have liked the two lady villians.

As I thought about what each of these characters I like have in common, I realized they are all the 'older' members of the cast. That was kind of an A-Ha moment. Am I getting caught up in some kind of generation gap? I'm drawn to the characters more my age? Do I not understand the "new" stuff portrayed by the younger actors? Are the older actors just better and more experienced at their profession and I'm picking up on the others' inexperience not knowing what I'm seeing?

What about you all? Do you think Kate's age factors into your like/dislike of the character? Just curious.
                honestly? it's all about amanda tapping for me.

but i feel like that about all the other characters too. any of them could be killed off or lost, and i'd still watch, *as long as helen/amanda was still on*.

i also think 'the five' characters are more interesting than the regulars.
                sally

sigpic

Comment

that's a very interesting question. maybe helen saw a lost soul in kate, which i think she is. maybe being that screwed up made her 'abnormal'?...
                  Yes, you are right. Hm.. I am curious what kind of destiny will Kate have.
                  Btw, your icon is great. Hehe
                  Willen, Teslen and totally addicted to Helen Magnus! Amanda's fan.
                  / Twitter / FanFiction / CZ Blog /

Comment

What about you all? Do you think Kate's age factors into your like/dislike of the character? Just curious
                    I don't think so... I'm probably around Kate's age (give or take a few years), and still prefer the older characters on the show. My favs are Helen, John, Watson, Tesla, Bigfoot. The exception here was Ashley (and to some extent Henry, how old is he anyway?).
                    I liked her in the webs and I liked her in the series, and was very sad to see her go cause there was so much potential there. There was so much to do, and so many places to go to with her, where as I don't see that for Kate. Someone mentioned that Ashley and Kate are pretty much the same, but I'm gonna have to disagree with that. Kate is a cliche, starting from her past all the way to her present. Ashley on the other hand in many ways was unique.

That being said, I never saw Kate as Ashley's replacement. She's just another character into the show. If Ashley was still around when they brought in Kate (and she was written and portrayed the same way she is now) I still wouldn't have been a fan.
                    sigpic

Comment

I think, if i were to have anything 'against' Kate, it'd be like any other character that's acting the brat. I don't have much patience for a character - young or old - who just acts the brat. I dont' find them endearing, i don't find them fun, I usually think 'thank goodness I don't have to deal with that character in real life'

Kate started out a bit bratty. But she's mellowed. The avarice has died out - for which i'm grateful. that kind of 'show me the money' gets old fast.

ash, in the webbies, was so much more than she was allowed to be on the show. skiffy's advice - putting presumptions together - to soften her up and sideline her in favor of building up will, pretty much reduced her to 'young sexy female character who sometimes is a foil to the leading man'.

It's like they couldn't ship helen and will, tried to ship ash and will, realized that it wouldn't work out, possibly because of the mother/daughter dynamic, so wanted to go for another female taht was shippable.

we're lucky that helen's role on the show isn't the half of any pairing (beyond Helen/Her Job), but it seems that there's a push to get a romantic angle in there, and Kate seems to fit that better than Ash.

Doesn't mean i don't like Kate. I enjoy her now. I like how she respects but doesn't worship Magnus. seh calls her on stuff, questions her adn Helen needs that. Helen is so confident with her decades of knowledge and know how that sometimes she needs someone to ask her the tough questions and say 'so?' or 'why?'

I think Helen might enjoy what might be the beginnings of a female friendship. I don't think she's had that for a very long time. She could never be a relaxed friend with Ash, she was ultimately still her mother. and everyone else she's involved with are guys. Kate is a rare female that's close to being Helen's equal - at least in the attitude area - and I think Helen has discovered that she likes it. She likes having a 'girlfriend' that knows what it feels like to be surrounded by guys
                      Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

It was great to read some of you do like, or tolerate Kate. I am on the other end of the spectrum. Kate annoys the heck out of me. Is it her whiny, overacting bad-arse 'tude that does it? Perhaps! I just don't buy it - I will NOT grow to like her and the assumptions that she'll grow on me (like mold?) are way off. I can't wait till she's out of a scene while watching the show.

Some godly higher up (i know it wasn't AT or DK) had the great idea to off Ashley (really really bad idea imo!) so they were left with how to fill a void, and keep things going. Enter Kate. Well Kate is just not cutting it - and almost killing it! Kate is the most annoying thing on that show and almost ruins it for me. The only redemption she'd have is if she played a big role in somehow bringing Ashley back - then dying a 'hero'. I'd give her a nice wave good bye and maybe blink back a tear for that scene.

I hang in there though - because there is AT (as well as the rest of the cast) and the amazing Tesla character. JY is a superb actor that I love watching. He makes up for the painful Kate exposure. He's like the ultimate band-aid.

(FWIW: I bet Agam is a great person - nothing against her. I'm just sorry the Kate character is on her shoulders - must be torture at times.)
                        Maria
                        Fan of SG-1, SGA, STNG, Sliders, Firefly, Fringe, & Sanctuary

Comment

[I'm really enjoying the discussion.

Originally posted by DigiFluid View Post
                          I think they went overboard a bit with the split screen thing. Heck, the first time I watched Veritas
                          Spoiler:
                          I missed Helen shooting out the camera b/c I was focused on Henry's expression in Box #3

Great question! I've wondered the same thing. I *think* it's b/c those characters are just more interesting & it isn't my age at work.

Originally posted by Skydiver View Post
                          I think, if i were to have anything 'against' Kate, it'd be like any other character that's acting the brat. I don't have much patience for a character - young or old - who just acts the brat. I dont' find them endearing, i don't find them fun, I usually think 'thank goodness I don't have to deal with that character in real life'

Kate started out a bit bratty. But she's mellowed.
                          Yeah, I think the brattiness was a big part of my actively disliking her at the beginning.

we're lucky that helen's role on the show isn't the half of any pairing (beyond Helen/Her Job), but it seems that there's a push to get a romantic angle in there, and Kate seems to fit that better than Ash.
                          Yes, thank God they haven't paired Helen with one of the guys!

I think they may be testing out how Kate might work with Henry. I don't see her with Will. But then I didn't buy him and invisi-girl either. Now that I think of it, she was kind of bratty too...

Comment

i can kinda see Kate with Henry, but i really can't and don't see her and Will .
                            sigpic

Comment

Not for me. She looks to be around my age (couldn't find a birthdate on either imdb or Wiki) and I despise her.
                              "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

kate is pretty much like ashley (in many ways), except she's not helen's daughter.
                                Well Kate does bring the outsider angle that Ashley didn't. They had that in the beginning with Will but that ran it's course by the end of S1. Kate gets to ask the informing-the-audience questions like 'what's a Triad' and such that Will did last season.

I'm probably around Kate's age (and Ashley's), but I'm personally more drawn to the older characters like Helen, Druitt, and Tesla. The only thing that currently draws me to Kate is that she's Indian, since it's a rather rare thing for me to get to see someone from my own culture on the shows that I watch.

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X