Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by stargatelover4ever View Post
    you should develop that
    I mean it does have sense because we know Nikola has been a celibate for all his life, afraid to get involved in relationships and also I don't think Helen would jump in to get married after that unsuccessful engagement with John. I've been thinking at these things after that wedding conversation we had a few days ago
    well i think our Nikola might be quite as celibate as the real one but i otherwise agree
    sigpic
    thanks sg4ever for the awesome icon!!! (dont steal it!!!) My FanFic

Comment

Originally posted by Keaira Taegan View Post
      crap. so i totally forgot where i was going with my earlier point *sigh* well, i think you all got my point

i agree i think that him being mortal has and will play a role in Helen and Nikola's getting together. That being said i also see that it could be a hinderance to them getting together, see from Helen's standpoint i can see her being the type that wouldl not want to open her heart to love, the best kind of love, for what would be such a short time in her expansive life bc if Nikola is now mortal he would techinically only be alive for awhile. i can see her being unwilling to allow herself to be with Nikola bc she knows that in the end he would grow old and d..d...that d word ()....and given how well her first love went the fact that this time she would know that it would idk i see that as being a problem that they would have to overcome....excuse me WILL overcome

I really do want more on the five too, even though just like The Who, there are now two haha i really think that the thing i most want to see from the five's backstory is the meeting of Helen and Nikola. So far we have only speculated as to how they met, and under what circumstances he joined the Five. See it makes sense that the rest of the Five would be at Oxford or the details of that can be wrinkled out(aka Helen's not real, the real John Montague Druitt was in england, james watson is fictional character that lived in london and i don think nigel griffin really exists). but the real Nikola Tesla during that time period wasnt really near london (Mimzy will correct me if i am wrong) so i am just curious how Damian and Co are combining their fictional world with the real world. Plus i just want to see how they met! i want that confirmation of what we all know, that Helen and Nikola were good friend from the beginning and basically should have been a couple but it just didnt happen, which is so sad. I mean, gregory clearly liked them best as a couple

[/rant number two]
      A) M. John Druitt DID study at Oxford around the time period depicted on the show, but he first studied to become a lawyer. Unfortunately for him, he didn't do as well as he wanted to on the bar exam, which then later led to him dropping the profession altogether and doing who-knows-what (being a teacher, randomly practicing medicine although he wasn't a certified doctor, etc.).

B) Actually, James Watson IS apparently based on a REAL person. Supposedly Sir Arthur Conan Doyle (author of the Sherlock Holmes stories) had a friend by that name who was a detective type, and the two apparently did become involved in investigating the Ripper cases. He is NOT however, the same James Watson who helped discover the DNA double helix, as that Watson was born on April 6, 1928.

C) Nigel Griffin is based on the character "Griffin" in the novel The Invisible Man by H.G. Wells (WARNING: MINOR BOOK SPOILERS). The novel character apparently has no given first name, so TPTB just made up one for him. Supposedly the character eventually ends up leading a life of crime (mostly theft) after becoming permanently (!!!!point to take note of here!!!! aka is he really dead?) invisible, and then he goes insane, although apparently it is hinted at that he was insane BEFORE he became invisible (which would connect with John being insane before that thing went into him). Also, he was apparently albino, which he theorized was a factor in his being able to become invisible so easily. The 1933 film version of Griffin is much more sympathetic and not as crazy.

D) The real Tesla never went to Oxford. He studied at Graz University in Austria, and after dropping out from there due to anxiety and financial issues (he had a nervous breakdown around this time), he worked as an engineer in what is now modern-day Slovenia, before being persuaded to come home by his father. After that, he went to study at Charles-Ferdinand University in Prague in the summer of 1880, but after his father's death, he left, again failing to obtain a degree. Later in the year he moved to Budapest, and in 1882 he moved to Paris, where he started work with the Edison company. He later immigrated to the U.S. and arrived New York City on June 6, 1884.

E) Given that the famous Whitechapel murders did not occur until 1888, The Five would have had to have met sometime between 1882 and 1884 in order to fit with Tesla's real time line. Therefore, unlike it seems to be in the show, a significant amount of time (i.e. YEARS) would have passed before the effects of the Source Blood started wreaking havoc on everyone's life. At the time of John's rampage, Nikola would have been in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania? I believe, working for George Westinghouse. So he wasn't even IN England by that time, which would make things very interesting (although complicated) regarding him and Helen. (Perhaps he left in '84 not only b/c he wanted to have a better opportunity in America, but also because he was convinced that Helen really WAS going to marry John and although they were still close friends, he couldn't bear being near her anymore b/c of that...OMG I HAVE A PLOTBUNNY ). So, since this is the case that he was already in the U.S. when all that happened, I'm wondering if this created more of a guilt trip for him--perhaps he feels like he failed Helen by not being there for her when John went crazy? Or not being there to prevent it all from happening?

Originally posted by stargatelover4ever View Post
      great fic rec
      we should lighten up the things a little around here. I don't wanna think about sad things when it comes to this ship. at least not now

so I made this

EDIT: consider it as a celebration for our 200 pages wooooooot!!!
      OOOH me likey!!!

And people, that's why it's called Monthly Fic CHALLENGE. And yes, it is perfectly plausible for them to actually get married. You can figure out ways. Google is your friend and so is the library.
      "YOU'RE EASIER THAN THE U.S. CONGRESS."~Nikola
      sigpic
      Sig by ME!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Mimzy View Post
        A) M. John Druitt DID study at Oxford around the time period depicted on the show, but he first studied to become a lawyer. Unfortunately for him, he didn't do as well as he wanted to on the bar exam, which then later led to him dropping the profession altogether and doing who-knows-what (being a teacher, randomly practicing medicine although he wasn't a certified doctor, etc.).

B) Actually, James Watson IS apparently based on a REAL person. Supposedly Sir Arthur Conan Doyle (author of the Sherlock Holmes stories) had a friend by that name who was a detective type, and the two apparently did become involved in investigating the Ripper cases. He is NOT however, the same James Watson who helped discover the DNA double helix, as that didn't happen until decades later and the first Watson (in real life) probably would've been dead/too old by that time.

C) Nigel Griffin is based on the character "Griffin" in the novel The Invisible Man by H.G. Wells (WARNING: MINOR BOOK SPOILERS). The novel character apparently has no given first name, so TPTB just made up one for him. Supposedly the character eventually ends up leading a life of crime (mostly theft) after becoming permanently (!!!!point to take note of here!!!! aka is he really dead?) invisible, and then he goes insane, although apparently it is hinted at that he was insane BEFORE he became invisible (which would connect with John being insane before that thing went into him). Also, he was apparently albino, which he theorized was a factor in his being able to become invisible so easily. The 1933 film version of Griffin is much more sympathetic and not as crazy.

D) The real Tesla never went to Oxford. He studied at Graz University in Austria, and after dropping out from there due to anxiety and financial issues (he had a nervous breakdown around this time), he worked as an engineer in what is now modern-day Slovenia, before being persuaded to come home by his father. After that, he went to study at Charles-Ferdinand University in Prague in the summer of 1880, but after his father's death, he left, again failing to obtain a degree. Later in the year he moved to Budapest, and in 1882 he moved to Paris, where he started work with the Edison company. He later immigrated to the U.S. and arrived New York City on June 6, 1884.

E) Given that the famous Whitechapel murders did not occur until 1888, The Five would have had to have met sometime between 1882 and 1884 in order to fit with Tesla's real time line. Therefore, unlike it seems to be in the show, a significant amount of time (i.e. YEARS) would have passed before the effects of the Source Blood started wreaking havoc on everyone's life. At the time of John's rampage, Nikola would have been in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania? I believe, working for George Westinghouse. So he wasn't even IN England by that time, which would make things very interesting (although complicated) regarding him and Helen. (Perhaps he left in '84 not only b/c he wanted to have a better opportunity in America, but also because he was convinced that Helen really WAS going to marry John and although they were still close friends, he couldn't bear being near her anymore b/c of that...OMG I HAVE A PLOTBUNNY ). So, since this is the case that he was already in the U.S. when all that happened, I'm wondering if this created more of a guilt trip for him--perhaps he feels like he failed Helen by not being there for her when John went crazy? Or not being there to prevent it all from happening?
        Seee!!!! i knew that you would info rant correct my facts love youuu <3

That being said, i think you all got my point of my rant ahaha

And people, that's why it's called Monthly Fic CHALLENGE. And yes, it is perfectly plausible for them to actually get married. You can figure out ways. Google is your friend and so is the library.
        yes i know there are ways for them to get married, ive been to a wedding too im just saying i dont necessarily buy into marriage so writing something that fluffy may be hard....oh wait who am i kidding?! i'll just make it angst and gutter to the max and itll work out jussttt fiiine
        sigpic

Comment

See? You can find ways. I refuse to make this any easier for people.

also, how about that last part of my inforant?
          sigpic
          Sig by ME!!!

Comment

See? You can find ways. I refuse to make this any easier for people.

also, how about that last part of my inforant?
            that was you being helpful

*re-reads just to refresh her mind* oh yes. well......

I LOVE IT
            sigpic

Comment

it makes sense, though...if he wasn't actually there, he'd have felt REALLY bad...

and part of the reason why he had to have left had to have been her
              sigpic
              Sig by ME!!!

Comment

it makes sense, though...if he wasn't actually there, he'd have felt REALLY bad...

and part of the reason why he had to have left had to have been her
                yeup yeup totally agree and think you should add that to your "to write" list
                sigpic

Comment

yeup yeup totally agree and think you should add that to your "to write" list
                  only if you watch Anastasia
                  sigpic
                  Sig by ME!!!

Comment

only if you watch Anastasia
                    haha as i just said on the thunk thread, its on my lengthy "to watch" list
                    sigpic

Comment

haha as i just said on the thunk thread, its on my lengthy "to watch" list
                      you have to watch that and A Little Princess or I am not writing fic ever
                      sigpic
                      Sig by ME!!!

Comment

you have to watch that and A Little Princess or I am not writing fic ever
                        ive already seen a little princes ages and ages ago
                        sigpic

Comment

Hi again everyone! I have a question...

I've got a Teslen story in the works - not for the April prompt, but that's bouncing around in my noggin too - and I'm not quite sure if it's exactly right yet. So.... Since y'all are all such wonderful writers, I was wondering if one of you would like to read it over for me before I post it?

Comment

Originally posted by tigerlilybrown View Post
                            Hi again everyone! I have a question...

I've got a Teslen story in the works - not for the April prompt, but that's bouncing around in my noggin too - and I'm not quite sure if it's exactly right yet. So.... Since y'all are all such wonderful writers, I was wondering if one of you would like to read it over for me before I post it?
                            I WILL im always happy to help a fellow writer
                            sigpic

Comment

I WILL im always happy to help a fellow writer
                              Hooray!! Should I email it to you, or copy and paste it into a PM...?

Comment

Originally posted by tigerlilybrown View Post
                                Hooray!! Should I email it to you, or copy and paste it into a PM...?
                                hmmm, im guessing its longer so email would probably be better. I'll send you my email adress in a PM momentarily
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X