Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Does Will Zimmerman remind you of Daniel Jackson?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

it's more of an archetype than a mimick.

young enthusiastic 'outsider' welcomed into the cool kids club and used to make the 'clique' accessible to your average viewer
    Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Just watched Sanctuary for the 1st time today on ITV 4 and noticed that guy that looks just like Daniel Jackson, he was even a doctor!! Half the cast i saw today were already from SG-1 and Atlantis, why not just get Michael Shanks rather than some cheap imitation??!!

ThePope
      Stargate: Genesis

http://stargategenesis.sg-event-hori.../genesis/site/ - Genesis Home
      http://stargategenesis.16.forumer.com/index.php - Genesis Forum

Comment

As for looks wise, the only things they have in common is the hair colour and they wear glasses, well so do a lot of other people, (so no I don't think they look alike, Robin is much better looking to me )

Now a major difference in thier characters is Will was breaking up from a realationship where he actually lived with a woman...Daniel (early) had to go off world to get a wife

So Will is not the typical geek Daniel was
        sigpic

my fanfic

Comment

There are similarities, but not enough for me to get the two characters confused.

I haven't watched an episode and thought OMG that is so Daniel. I think the true test of the dissimilarity, at least for me, is that I cannot see the character of Daniel in the role of Will.

Anytime you have a character that is that over the top in intelligence, so much so that no one even comes in to a close second in their field, you will find an unbelievable amount of similarities based on the stereotype for that character. Just like other characters fall into a stereotype that allows you to compare and say they are so similar.

Comment

will is just a casting stereotype. and it'll be up to robin to make him something unique as the episodes go by

sigpic

Comment

yes, to the point that there was a moment in episode 3 i thought i was watching stargate for a split second
              Spoiler:
              Disclaimer:
              I have been using this username since 1998, it has no connection to "The Last Airbender", or James Cameron's movie.
              Quotes!
              - "Things will not calm down, Daniel Jackson, they will in fact calm up!"
              - "I hope you like Guinness Sir, I find it a refreshing alternative to... food"
              - "I'm Beginning to regret staying up late to watch "Deuce Bigalow: European Gigalo" last night... Check that, i regretted it almost immediately"
              sigpic

Comment

My mom keeps saying that Will reminds her of Daniel. She mentions it every time she watches an episode. Personally, I don't see much of a similarity beyond the glasses, the super-intelligence, the compassion, and sometimes the way they both deal with people (kind of the "negotiator" persona...). But those are pretty general characteristics that a lot of characters share.

The one major comparison that made me laugh was when Helen approached Will on the street in the rain. I laughed out loud. There is no way you can convince me that scene wasn't intentionally mirroring the scene from the original Stargate movie. Call it a little tribute to Stargate if you will, but I'm willing to bet it was intentional, and not a coincidence.

Originally posted by Frostfox View Post
                I saw more physical resemblance to Daniel than in the actual character himself, the hair, the glasses (which had the same mysterious disappearing act as Daniels) even the eyebrows!
                Lol. Yes, the glasses thing cracked me up. It always irritated me a little bit when Daniel used to take his glasses on and off all the time, and now we have another sci-fi actor doing it. Do they not realize that it's distracting?
                Chief of the GGP (Gateworld Grammar Police). Punctuation is your friend. Use it!

Great happy armies shall be gathered and trained to oppose all who embrace doubt. In the name of Hope, ships shall be built to carry our disciples out amongst the stars, and we will spread Optimism to all the doubters. The power of the Optimi will be felt far and wide, and the pessimists shall become positive-thinkers.
                Hallowed are the Optimi.

Comment

well, if they'd stop having those that don't wear glasses wear them for their character, it wouldn't happen as much.

that's why daniel kept losing his, MS doesn't wear them, so he likely found them annoying so would 'forget' them as often as he could

sigpic

Comment

My husband doesn't come to this forum, and I haven't said anything to him about Will looking like Daniel. Mild spoiler for Kush:
                    Spoiler:
                    Tonight, when Helen was helping Will after the crash, And Will didn't have his glasses on, my husband said, 'he looks like Daniel!'. So, for him to see it, then there must be a physical similarity, too.

das
                    sigpic

Comment

I can see some stereotypical similarities between the two characters, but I cannot see the physical resemblance between the two actors.

Comment

beyond caucasian male and glasses

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by CalmStorm View Post
                          I can see some stereotypical similarities between the two characters, but I cannot see the physical resemblance between the two actors.
                          Me either, but remember TPTB though the audience wouldn't be able to tell MS apart from BB so they had MS grow a beard
                          sigpic

my fanfic

Comment

Glasses, studious, that's about it for me. I thought maybe they were trying to make a connection in our brains with Daniel, but I don't think I'm that gullible.............well...........maybe sometimes,.....................but not in this instance.
                            no means no, and so does pepper spray
                            Sig by The Carpenter
                            sigpic

Comment

I can't see much similarity between WZ and DJ either,aside from the glasses and the earnest manner...but I keep thinking that Robin Dunne could play James Potter anytime !
                              The place to "Gate" to during Outages for updates and info:

Comment

Originally posted by Mandysg1 View Post
                                Me either, but remember TPTB though the audience wouldn't be able to tell MS apart from BB so they had MS grow a beard
                                I thought it was the Skiffy guys who made that suggestion ?

I rather liked MS with the face fuzz,but then I have a thing for hairy guys...like Bigfoot .

Any takers for a Helen/Bigfoot thread ?
                                The place to "Gate" to during Outages for updates and info:

Comment

Working...
                                X