Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Does Will Zimmerman remind you of Daniel Jackson?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yes i did to lol
    GOODBYE GATEWORLD. BEEN FUN TAKE CARE ALL!!

Comment

Originally posted by jds1982 View Post
      I enjoyed the premier of Sanctuary, but to me it seemed that Will was a bit like Daniel Jackson. He's a really smart guy who is laughed at for his beliefs, and is drummed out of his field, but then is introduced to an amazing women in a rainstorm who shows him an incredible secret that changes his life forever. Not to mention, they have the same kind of look, and the diplomat personality. I'm not saying Will is a rip-off of Daniel, I just think they might both represent the same archetype. What do you think?
      Plus he's afraid of heights and lost his mother when he was 8....and according to D. Kindler they thought of Michael Shanks for him...
      “At the beginning of the pilot she [Helen] finds her next protégé in the form of a young psychiatric resident named Will Zimmerman, played by a wonderful actor, you're all going to love, named Robin Dunne. He'll give you a quirky, young Michael Shanks feel. He's really a great guy. He does humor well. The chemistry between him and Amanda is just tremendous. He's a real find.”
      Link to interview
      http://www.gateworld.net/interviews/...anctuary.shtml
      sigpic
      Sig made by slizzie1986

Comment

Originally posted by madaboutdanny View Post
        Plus he's afraid of heights and lost his mother when he was 8....and according to D. Kindler they thought of Michael Shanks for him...

Link to interview
        http://www.gateworld.net/interviews/...anctuary.shtml
        I'd forgotten about Daniel being afraid of heights! You know, I think they only mentioned that once in SG1 and then forgot about it!

I wonder what happened to Wil's dad? Wonder if we will meet him?

FF
        sigpic

Comment

yeah definitely but he also reminded me of Mulder
          sigpic
          The Sam Carter/Amanda Tapping Thunk thread The Sam/RepliCarter Ship Thread

Comment

I saw similarities as well. I'm shallow enough to say that it hit home when he was fiddling with his glasses at one point. Hey, Daniel does that

Comment

There are quite alot of similarities, the look, the background, the personality, the rejection from the field, looked down upon. They do have the same skill set, daniel was about cultures, history and language; will is about psychology, body language, emotions, mannerisms. both are passive in terms of thier outlook on situations, they are rational and logical and understanding. They both notice things other people dont, and evaluate situations differently, will with his super memory and daniel with his knowledge and expertise in his area. Now they do have different fields, thats fair to say, but in terms of character they are a similar archtype without question, the passive members of a combat and science team. In fact the sanctuary team remind me of sg1 in some way and not just because of the cast. Not in terms of character perse, and storyline or even context but in terms of the makeup of the team there is a science person (mangus), the daniel archtype in will, tealc in bigfoot (silent, strong, tough) and oniel (ashley, the sarcastic fighter type)...though i doubt these perceptions will remain because the team will develop i am sure very rapidly.
              sigpic
              You are the fifth race, your role is clear, if there is any hope in preserving the future it lies with you and your people ~ 8years for those words
              Stargate : Genesis |
              Original Starship DesignThread
              Sanctuary for all | http://virtualfleet.vze.com/
              11000! green me

Comment

He seems like a mix of Daniel Jackson and Fox Mulder from the X-files.
                BSG (Drama/Soap Opera)

Soap Opera: The main characteristics that define soap operas are "an emphasis on family life, personal relationships, sexual dramas, emotional and moral conflicts; some coverage of topical issues; set in familiar domestic interiors with only occasional excursions into new locations

Drama: A drama film is a film genre that depends mostly on in-depth development of realistic characters dealing with emotional themes

SG1/SGA are not Drama/Soap although some elements are touched on to add depth to these action/adventure series. If you want to see a show focused on Soap/Drama go watch BSG or Days of our Lives.

Comment

I enjoyed the premier of Sanctuary, but to me it seemed that Will was a bit like Daniel Jackson. He's a really smart guy who is laughed at for his beliefs, and is drummed out of his field, but then is introduced to an amazing women in a rainstorm who shows him an incredible secret that changes his life forever. Not to mention, they have the same kind of look, and the diplomat personality. I'm not saying Will is a rip-off of Daniel, I just think they might both represent the same archetype. What do you think?
                  huh, kinda, now that you said something, but I don't thought of similars on my own.
                  sigpic There are my dogs!

If you had to chose, die or watch the world die, what would you pick?"

Comment

They do share a lot of similarities. But didn't notice it during my viewing of Sanctuary. It seem like a typical way of introducing a characters which will soon join a secret organizations. As of yet, Will seems more laid back, calm, haunted by his difficult past (and recent "loss" of girlfriend), than the more enthusiastic Daniel at the beginning of SG-1.
                    Currently watching: Dark Matter, 12 Monkeys, Doctor Who, Under the Dome, The Mentalist, The Messengers, The Last Ship, Elementary, Dominion, The Whispers, Extant, Olympus, Da Vinci's Demons, Vikings

Comment

Originally posted by immhotep View Post
                      a science person (mangus),
                      the daniel archtype in will
                      tealc in bigfoot (silent, strong, tough)
                      oniel (ashley, the sarcastic fighter type
                      I was sensing that corrilarry but I hadn't made the full connection because I had not factored in Bigfoot as Teal'c. Good catch.

And yes, Will imediatally reminded me of Daniel. I like that because the dynamic between the "Let's talk" and the "Let's shoot it" philosophies of Daniel and Jack in the early SG-1.
                      "What's your situation?"
                      "I'm hiding. What's yours?"

Comment

They've gone waaaay beyone archetype and wandered into rip-off territory. In tonight's episode (which I admit I turned off after about ten minutes because it was that bad), Helen and Ashley were grimly exchanging some kind of hand signals while Will looked on in bewilderment, admitting he hadn't quite caught all of them. Now, anyone who has watched SG:1, the early years knows that Daniel was notoriously bad at military hand signals. So, let's just add this one to the list of blatant character trait rip-offs. Anyone else?

Comment

Absolutely.

As I watched the first episode, I kept thinking that they must have wrote this character specifically for Michael Shanks to play! Maybe they did and he turned to job down because he was afraid of type-casting?

Comment

Originally posted by Liam Kincaid View Post
                            Absolutely.

As I watched the first episode, I kept thinking that they must have wrote this character specifically for Michael Shanks to play! Maybe they did and he turned to job down because he was afraid of type-casting?
                            No actually Damian wrote the first hour before he knew Michael Shanks or ever worked on Stargate. So the Will character was already developed before he saw the Daniel character. His agent wanted him to write a premiere to show people samples of his work. Then years later SG-1 was canceled and Damian talked to Martin to get his opinion.

Martin Wood is the person that suggested Robin Dunne as Will, because they had worked really well together on a movie years earlier. Robin is not only an actor, but also a writer. Something happened on the movie the two were working on and Martin and Robin were left to rewrite the movie. Robin like most people in a small company wear many hats. He was with Martin Wood, Damian Kindler, Amanda Tapping, and Sam Eagen as they broke stories he is even writing a script or two this season for Sanctuary. It's nothing against Michael, but I think Martin already had Robin in mind to play Will. The only auditioned role was for the Ashley character... and I'm sure the extras.
                            Last edited by ann_sgcfan; 17 October 2008, 01:31 PM. Reason: typo

Comment

I've never watched SG1, so don't know personality-wise how they compare, but visually - having just seen DJ in SGA - I thought Will looked like a younger version of Jackson, yes. But like I said, I'm not sure how they compare as far as their characters go.

das
                              sigpic

Comment

I def. saw some Daniel in there, and so did some of the people in my Sci-fi club. But a few of the girls swear he's more like Wesley on Buffy/Angel. I'm not as familiar with Wesley, but I could see a bit of Giles. So really, I think there's just this character archetype here pinging our radars.

I noticed someone on one of those multi-television forums saying Will was a sort of Harry Potter rip off too. So I do think it's subjective.
                                sigpic Heliosphere- multi-shipper, multi-thunker

Comment

Working...
                                X