Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sanctuary Discussion (Spoilers for the most recent episode)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

i've doen that too. or purchased something not available overseas to then ship to a friend.

it's also a way around the 'yes, well we only sell our stuff to the US thank you very much' limitations.

fine, sell them to me, you can't control who i 'resell' them to...or where i send them to
    Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Celandine View Post
      Might be easier to just befriend someone living in the States, have your item shipped to them and then pay them the ten bucks or so to have it shipped to you.

I was gonna order something through Amazon and have it directly shipped across seas to a friend, but the charges worked out to be more funnily enough. I shipped it to myself instead, repackaged it and added a few other goodies to the box and then sent it out from my local post office. Worked out to be cheaper in the long run which doesnt make a whole lot of sense at all.
      When she says..."add a few other goodies" she means, "splurge and spoil said friend in an almost indecent way"

I have some awesome friends and I've used the Cel re-posting service quite a few times over the years. It came make things much simpler and cheaper. One company was wanting to charge me $60 postage for $70 worth of clothing I'd ordered once.
      sigpic
      Thank you to Lies for my signature pic
      My Fanfic~My Femslash

Comment

Originally posted by majorsal View Post
        i'm hoping for that too!

and amanda could come to my house and watch the eps with me, adding more commentary... hmm, i'll have to ask the fat-chance fairies about that

sally
        LOL She could come to my place. I'd even clear a spot on the couch for her.

Originally posted by Skydiver View Post
        taken from a review on the review thread...this struck me

what's one of the biggest complaints of SOME fans for SG1 and SGA over the past few years????? the over emphasis on boobs, butts and bombs and shoddily written scripts.

why?

why must intelligent television be dumbed down to cater to the masses that - in the opinions of some - want nothing more than action and wow? And do they REALLY want that?....
        the obsession with 'wow' has killed many a show because, in my opinion, it takes away any depth and any emotional attachment to the show. 'wow' is easy to crank out and superficial and you end up with template shows and an endless 'ooh, let's get more wow than the other guys' cycle. and all you get is this escalation of effects while the story suffers.

I hope folks 'in charge' don't take that reviewer seriously. I enjoy watching a show that has a good story and the effects are just there to tell it...instead of the story being nothing but a set up to show off the latest renderings of CGI
        Totally agree. I cling to the fact that AT doesn't seem to underestimate the intelligence of her fans. And actually if you read the comments here (and I hope the Sanctuary PTB do) most of them have not been about how cool the monsters are, but about how we like the stories and character development.

The use of CG has been good, but actually to my mind good in the sense that a lot of the time I don't even think of it as being CG. When I saw a few behind the scenes shots there were backgrounds I hadn't even thought of as being CG. In a way isn't that a high compliment?

Comment

Originally posted by jckfan55 View Post
          LOL She could come to my place. I'd even clear a spot on the couch for her.
          *isn't pondering anything that has to do with the fact that I watch Sanctuary on my bed.......*

Comment

what's one of the biggest complaints of SOME fans for SG1 and SGA over the past few years????? the over emphasis on boobs, butts and bombs and shoddily written scripts.

why?

why must intelligent television be dumbed down to cater to the masses that - in the opinions of some - want nothing more than action and wow? And do they REALLY want that?

Look at BSG, it's not all 'wow', it has a well written and complicated story and it's a hit. Look at x-files and how long it lasted and what was the draw in the beginning? the stories, not the effects. when did many wander away from the show?? when they started to replace well written stories with monster of the week.

the obsession with 'wow' has killed many a show because, in my opinion, it takes away any depth and any emotional attachment to the show. 'wow' is easy to crank out and superficial and you end up with template shows and an endless 'ooh, let's get more wow than the other guys' cycle. and all you get is this escalation of effects while the story suffers.

I hope folks 'in charge' don't take that reviewer seriously. I enjoy watching a show that has a good story and the effects are just there to tell it...instead of the story being nothing but a set up to show off the latest renderings of CGI
            I think the team has too much integrity to fall into that trap. They'll stick to their guns and let the stories speak for themselves.

Originally posted by Falcon 304 View Post
            *isn't pondering anything that has to do with the fact that I watch Sanctuary on my bed.......*

I don't believe you.
            Love all, trust a few, do wrong to none.
            William Shakespeare

Meddle ye not in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and tasty with ketchup.
            Anon

Comment

Originally posted by F.H.BAGPUSS View Post
              Sunkrux : Nice icon .
              Thank you. I HEART Henry (No JanSam, he is STILL MINE! ALL MINE! BWAHAHAHAHA*cough*HAHAHAHAHA! ) a lot.

why must intelligent television be dumbed down to cater to the masses that - in the opinions of some - want nothing more than action and wow? And do they REALLY want that?

Look at BSG, it's not all 'wow', it has a well written and complicated story and it's a hit. Look at x-files and how long it lasted and what was the draw in the beginning? the stories, not the effects. when did many wander away from the show?? when they started to replace well written stories with monster of the week.

It's all part of what I call "the dumbing down of America" and sadly the rest of the world as a result. The execs in charge simply do not believe that anyone who watches the telly/TV/BoobTube/box whatever you want to call it can in any way be an intelligent person. So they cater to the "Middle Americans" - people who are given the antiquated Nielson ratings boxes/forms who are the ones telling those brainless execs what Americans really want to watch. If the entertainment - especially TV - industry would STOP using such an antiquated ratings system then the more intelligent Americans might get a chance to have their voices heard and maybe then we'd stop getting "reality crap" and more quality and quirky (dudes I'm pissed about Pushing Daisies) shows on air.

Your mileage may vary.
              sigpic
              I prefer to be called Sunny, Sun or SK. Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by rderoch View Post
                I don't believe you.
                *whistles innocently*

Comment

I see you guys/gals may be unhappy with the price of the Sanctuary gear. Well, I live in flipping Florida, so even if I could afford the hoodie, I would barely be able to wear it.

Comment

They should make winter caps with the Sanctuary logo for those of us in snow country--or do they?

Comment

Lets make a list of what kind of (realistic) Sanctuary merch we would like [to throw our money at S1 for ].

- Character t-shirts (Bigfoot = bought)
                      - Fancy key chains
                      - Insanely large posters..... fine, you're average sized large posters.
                      - Concept art pictures/book

Um... that's all I've got. For now.

Comment

Lets make a list of what kind of (realistic) Sanctuary merch we would like [to throw our money at S1 for ].

- Fancy key chains

Definately for the concept art! I have some prints of Stargate concept art that I love and am just waiting until I have walls I can put them up on (the plaster board walls in my current room can't support much weight).

This is probably too much of a departure, but given the graphic novel feel of the show I'd like to see graphic novel style art for the show...if that makes sense.
                        sigpic
                        My Fanfic~My Femslash

Comment

I have never heard a bad AT commentary. I'd love to hear AT & DK together--I don't think they've done any SG1s together. I like MW but he tends to, shall we say, dominate things? He gets so enthusiastic, which is good, but I sometimes feel like "hey, Martin, let Amanda get a word in edgewise already!" I always like the actor commentaries--it would be fun to have AT & Emilie since I'm a fan of the Helen-Ashley story. Also AT & Robin; AT & CH --I always like the behind the scenes stories of what the actors were thinking, how they decided to play something etc.

As for Sanctuary apparel--I think I'll save my $ for the DVDs.
                          Ditto to all of that jckfan
                          Originally posted by rderoch View Post
                          Definitely want to have commentary from Amanda and the other actors. I enjoy the technical stuff too, but I'd prefer to have that in BTS featurettes. I find the actor commentaries more interesting.
                          Yeah me too.
                          Originally posted by majorsal View Post
                          i'm hoping for that too!

and amanda could come to my house and watch the eps with me, adding more commentary... hmm, i'll have to ask the fat-chance fairies about that

sally
                          Can I come to your house Sally?
                          Originally posted by SunKrux View Post
                          In case anyone cares, I made another Sanctuary related icon:
                          http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v1...eart-Henry.gif
                          That's brilliant!!

Half an hour until the UK see "The Five" squeeee!

Julia(samcarterrules)
                          sigpic
                          Thanks to Ambermoon for the wonderful Avatar Sig by: Me

Comment

why?

I had a similar reaction when I read that review. Why should a show on a genre network have to appeal to the lowest common denominator in order to be successful? The reviewer's talk of an increased emphasis on conflict sounds simplistic, unoriginal, and contrary to the executive producers' statements about the show.

Comment

Expletive digital signal!

I can't watch Sanctuary because our digital signal is on the fritz...again...*sigh*
                              sigpic
                              My Fanfic~My Femslash

Comment

Originally posted by Tittamiire View Post
                                When she says..."add a few other goodies" she means, "splurge and spoil said friend in an almost indecent way"

I have some awesome friends and I've used the Cel re-posting service quite a few times over the years. It came make things much simpler and cheaper. One company was wanting to charge me $60 postage for $70 worth of clothing I'd ordered once.
                                Didn't you know it's all a matter of perspective? The whole 'one man's blah is another man's blah blah' type thing. Plus, its fun to spoil others anyway...

They should make winter caps with the Sanctuary logo for those of us in snow country--or do they?
                                Nope. All they had was a hoodie, baseball-type hat and t-shirt. The winter hat though would be most welcome. We got 35 degrees today!

- Fancy key chains

Nice start...

I'd just like to see a behind the scenes bloopers dvd. They're always hilarious and offer a glimpse into the show that you normally dont see. I heard Robin and Amanda have some laughing fits while filming on occasion which reminds me of the old SG-1 days.

Comment

Working...
                                X