Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sanctuary Discussion (Spoilers for the most recent episode)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by samcarterrules View Post
    That's really expensive!

Julia(samcarterrules)
    I've paid 25 for each of my SG t-shirts, so it's about right. I know that this makes it difficult for folks though, especially these days. Just tell Santa that you want a Sanctuary hoodie. Heck, have you been to a concert recently? I used to buy a shirt at every concert I attended. Not anymore. They usually run 35-40. For a t-shirt! Since the merchandise is being sold at the official Sanctuary site and not Sci-Fi, I'll be willing to pay the higher prices. They are getting less money for the distribution of the show than the networks normally pay, so merchandising is one way they can try to recoup some money. Once they have some new merchandise, I'll buy it to help Amanda and Damian.

Originally posted by EH-T View Post
    Actually, the prices are in line with what you would pay for a quality t-shirt/hat/hoodie in Canada. I'd rather pay a little more for quality (especially if it is locally made) than cheap crap from the Walmart. From what I understand from those who purchased the former merchandise it was good quality. Not sure if anyone on this thread would be familiar with a Cdn show called Corner Gas but I bought a hoodie when I was in the town where they film the show and it was over $60.00. Excellent hoodie though.

As for Edward, I enjoyed it although I had to watch it quite late. I'll watch again later today when I'm more awake. Really enjoyed the scene between Helen and Ashley and hope we get more of the fallout from Ashley learning about her father. I also loved the stuff between Helen and Henry. Nice to see Kavan again as well.
    I think Amanda said in an interview that the fallout from The Five would affect the relationship for a while. At least they are going to be portraying it realisticially. That isn't something that you would get over in a couple of weeks.

Originally posted by jckfan55 View Post
    I'm actually finding Henry much more engaging than Will, which surprises me b/c I was initially concerned when they said his part would be built up. I don't know, maybe the actor has more personality?
    Robin hasn't had a whole lot of meaty scenes yet. I have high hopes for Requiem. I think it will be an acting extravaganza for both of them.
    Love all, trust a few, do wrong to none.
    William Shakespeare

Meddle ye not in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and tasty with ketchup.
    Anon

Comment

I should have said the actor's ability to project a personality. I've heard he's a great guy and he seems to be in interviews, so I wasn't saying he was a problem personally. I think you're right that Will's the "normal" guy. That probably makes it a bit harder for the actor/character to stand out.

And i agree about the group working well together--there is a Sanctuary team feel about things I like.
      I agree I like the team feel as well. As far as the other... I think it's how the Will character is written. Which was done on purpose... now everyone else on the show is suspected of being abnormal. For me the verdict is still out for Ashely. she could be normal or abnormal. Will is the normal guy. I think if they can create a mystery for him like they have for everyone else it may help some fans to warm up to the character... have his girlfriend working with the cabal. Or have Will's great great grandfather the founder of the Cabal... lol I don't know... I do get the feeling the cabal is made up of "normal" people.

I like the character because of his compassion toward the sisters. His heart to hearts with Helen, because some juicy info is always in those scenes. I like that he can't shoot a gun but can help solve the crime. Of course the eye appeal is a big plus for me as well.
      Last edited by ann_sgcfan; 22 November 2008, 04:43 PM.

Comment

An anecdotal observation on the increasing popularity of Sanctuary, at least by online fans.

I have a google blog at this link, where I mainly post about all things scifi, and mainly on Stargate and now Sanctuary.

For the past several weeks, I've noticed a dramatic rise in "hits" on my blog immediately AFTER Sanctuary airs on the US East Coast. Yesterday, for example, I had the most total hits on a single day-- 610, and 74 hits -- the most ever for a single hour -- in the hour after Sanctuary aired. 263 hits in the last four hours of the day, or 43% of the total hits in that four hour window.

The # 1 page for the day were the new stills from "Requiem" I posted here on GateWorld yesterday; followed by photos of Emilie Ullerup from the Leo Awards last June as the #2 page, and then Stargate Atlantis kicks in.

Today has been going very well too...562 hits so far, and I've still got six hours to go for the day.

Ooops, while I typed this and did some research and used the calculator, today's total hits has reached 580!

Go, Sanctuary, go!

EDIT: Nov. 23: The final daily total for Nov. 22 was 705! Woo-hoo, a new record. Almost all Sanctuary related hits too!
        Last edited by morjana; 23 November 2008, 01:57 AM.

SG1/SGA/SGU - Saving Earth/Atlantis/?, one mission at a time!
        SG1-Spoilergate Richard Dean Anderson Fans Abydos Gate Morjana
        Morjana's Blog Twitter

Comment

Originally posted by morjana View Post
          An anecdotal observation on the increasing popularity of Sanctuary, at least by online fans.

I have a google blog at this link, where I mainly post about all things scifi, and mainly on Stargate and now Sanctuary.

For the past several weeks, I've noticed a dramatic rise in "hits" on my blog immediately AFTER Sanctuary airs on the US East Coast. Yesterday, for example, I had the most total hits on a single day-- 610, and 74 hits -- the most ever for a single hour -- in the hour after Sanctuary aired. 263 hits in the last four hours of the day, or 43% of the total hits in that four hour window.

The # 1 page for the day were the new stills from "Requiem" I posted here on GateWorld yesterday; followed by photos of Emilie Ullerup from the Leo Awards last June as the #2 page, and then Stargate Atlantis kicks in.

Today has been going very well too...562 hits so far, and I've still got six hours to go for the day.

Ooops, while I typed this and did some research and used the calculator, today's total hits has reached 580!

Go, Sanctuary, go!
          Very cool observation! And I really like your blog! I've added it to my list of websites I like to visit at least once a day.

sigpic

Comment

Actually, the prices are in line with what you would pay for a quality t-shirt/hat/hoodie in Canada.
            That's just what I was going to say--perfectly normal prices in Canada, and I've seen a lot worse (plus sales tax, of course...; )

I thought 'Edward' was the best episode so far. Much more what I was expecting from the show. Everyone had a storyline (except Ashley, which is fine by me. Frankly, her acting could use a little work. I'm not saying that she can't get there, but she really needs to work on playing a range of emotions). Will had something to do again and was skilled instead of being the useless guy who can't fight, which is all he's been lately. They gave Henry more range as well. All good. The actors who play both Will and Henry are very capable, but they have to give them something to work with. Helen is coming along nicely, but I think we need to see a few more flaws, there. It would make her more interesting.

Anyway, I was extremely pleaed with this episode. The last few had me very, very, very worried!

Comment

I'm actually finding Henry much more engaging than Will, which surprises me b/c I was initially concerned when they said his part would be built up. I don't know, maybe the actor has more personality?
              I love Henry, but then, I always have. And did anyone mention yet that he was not "guest starring" this time in the credits? *does happy dance*

Holy wow!
              Jenni

Comment

this is why i own precious little 'named' apparel. by the time the licensing fees are paid it's just silly for me.

I"m sure it's not out of line it's just...heck i don't even pay that much for my work clothes. I was raised on garage sales, thrift stores and clearance racks. the most expensive piece of clothing i've bought in the past 10 years was the ugly dress i had to buy for my sis' wedding. I did treat myself to a Vancouver 2010 fleece...but i even got that one off the 35% off rack.

I was just never raised to pay that much money for an article of clothing, especially one that i'd buy 'blind'...as in i have no way to know if it's quality thick and warm fleece or thinner stuff.

maybe when my tax refund comes in i'll feel like splurging. right now, though, if i were to blow 50 bucks on merchandise, i'd plunk it down on the dvd's.
                Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver View Post

maybe when my tax refund comes in i'll feel like splurging. right now, though, if i were to blow 50 bucks on merchandise, i'd plunk it down on the dvd's.
                  i would have loved to have bought something, but i went when i saw the price.

but the dvd, YES!
                  sally

sigpic

Comment

DVDs DVDs DVDs....

*waits for US pre-sale*
                    Jenni

Comment

Originally posted by hisg1fans View Post
                      I don't see any of Sam and I don't notice a Stargate feel from Kavan Smith either. This is an all new world/story.
                      it seems to me, as the show goes on, amanda gets more and more comfortable with helen. she seems more at ease and, sometimes, i seem to see more amanda in helen and less the kkinda stuff 'gotta say this right, gotta do this right' tension
                      I know I mentioned this somewhere before but when I read fanfics, I tend to try to hear the voices of the characters in my head...so how weird is it when I start hearing Sam in English?? I think it's just because Amanda does such a fantastic job in her portrayal of Helen that I have trouble separating the two. Not that I say they are the same...it's just that they tend to cross over in my head...ok...I'm still not making sense but basically what I think I mean is that Amanda is such a brilliant actress that both characters are so convincingly real that me myself personally, have trouble keeping them apart. Ok...did that make sense or should I cut back on the caffeine?? Maybe I should just agree with you all. I don't see Sam in Sanctuary nor do I see Helen in SG1. Better??? Good!!
                      I'm actually finding Henry much more engaging than Will, which surprises me b/c I was initially concerned when they said his part would be built up.
                      I love Henry. I think its the age thing and the little bit of scuff that's happening!! I dunno...Will is yummy in a yummy kinda way but he's just not grabbing my attention like Henry does...mind you...even BigFoot has my undivided attention...must be the hair!!!
                      I was just never raised to pay that much money for an article of clothing, especially one that i'd buy 'blind'...as in i have no way to know if it's quality thick and warm fleece or thinner stuff.
                      Originally posted by majorsal View Post
                      i would have loved to have bought something, but i went when i saw the price.
                      but the dvd, YES!
                      I'm not sure about the fleece being thick and all but the t shirts are pretty good quality. I have 2 and they have kept their shape and most of their colour through several washes...and they have no pilling so that's a bonus.
                      My problem when purchasing anything is I'm never round when the sales are on and if I was, my size is usually the first to be snapped up and I miss out on the gorgeous summer top that I have been waiting for to go on sale...I have learned that sometimes if you see something you really like and it fits....grab it before it disappears! I'm just never lucky enough to get bargains.
                      "Live Peace - Speak Kindness - Dwell in Possibility"
                      Hug Your Loved Ones!!
                      ~Amanda Tapping

Comment

I adore my shirts. They're SO soft!
                        Jenni

Comment

Originally posted by ann_sgcfan View Post
                          I wouldn't think it's the actors personality. Robin, Amanda, Ryan, Chris, Emilie all seem to get along and genuinely have fun working with one another according to the interviews. Even Amanda said Robin is one of the funnies guys she knows. Ryan said he and Robin still hang out together even when not shooting Sanctuary.

I think it has more to do with the characters and not the actors at all... Will is the normal guy in an abnormal world. He has special skills, and brings his psychological help to the residents and also helps Helen and Ashley to solve the crime. He is pretty much get what you see type of character. Which IMO is important to bring the audience in. I think he needs a little mystery to him, and maybe that will come next year. Right now he is one of the few normals trying to adjust to this new world. Henry is the smart alec tech guy that has some mystery to him. I like both characters, because I think they both play an important part to the show. I have read elsewhere there have been some fans suddenly wanting one character to be eliminated to make room for others... *sigh* I guess it happens on every show... but I prefer to keep all the main actors and characters (Helen, Will, John, Ashley, and Henry) and allow the writers to develop them. I think the shows that change every year tend to lose audiences

I liked KUSH which well acted by Robin and Amanda. I thought it was a strong episode. I think the next episode with the sub which features Will and Helen as well will be a lot of fun. I think Henry has done a great job in the last two episodes as well. I think the entire group is working well together.
                          Originally posted by ann_sgcfan View Post
                          I agree I like the team feel as well. As far as the other... I think it's how the Will character is written. Which was done on purpose... now everyone else on the show is suspected of being abnormal. For me the verdict is still out for Ashely. she could be normal or abnormal. Will is the normal guy. I think if they can create a mystery for him like they have for everyone else it may help some fans to warm up to the character... have his girlfriend working with the cabal. Or have Will's great great grandfather the founder of the Cabal... lol I don't know... I do get the feeling the cabal is made up of "normal" people.

I like the character because of his compassion toward the sisters. His heart to hearts with Helen, because some juicy info is always in those scenes. I like that he can't shoot a gun but can help solve the crime. Of course the eye appeal is a big plus for me as well.
                          I'm enjoying all the characters. I think Henry "pops" out more for some because he's getting a lot of the great funny lines. Will's character is more "normal" so may appear a little more bland to some. I think it is the nature of the characters. I agree Requiem may give us more. Also, loved his comment to Helen ("really?") when she said there was such a thing as before her time!

I don't understand the comments of some regarding Emilie, I think she is doing a fine job. She was also in a show called Jpod which was a comedy so I see her as a very good actress with a wide range.

Go, Sanctuary, go!

EDIT: Nov. 23: The final daily total for Nov. 22 was 705! Woo-hoo, a new record. Almost all Sanctuary related hits too!
                          Didn't know you had a blog. Very interesting.

Originally posted by LilFerret View Post
                          I love Henry, but then, I always have. And did anyone mention yet that he was not "guest starring" this time in the credits? *does happy dance*

Didn't notice that, good for Ryan!

this is why i own precious little 'named' apparel. by the time the licensing fees are paid it's just silly for me.

I"m sure it's not out of line it's just...heck i don't even pay that much for my work clothes. I was raised on garage sales, thrift stores and clearance racks. the most expensive piece of clothing i've bought in the past 10 years was the ugly dress i had to buy for my sis' wedding. I did treat myself to a Vancouver 2010 fleece...but i even got that one off the 35% off rack.

I understand completely, I was raised by a father who lived through the Depression. I have clothes I still wear that I've had for years. I do buy good clothes for work but I usually get them on sale and get many years of wear from them. If something is still good or still works, I don't throw it out. I have an old film camera, I don't have a cell phone and have lived in the same house for 16 years. However, there are exceptions to my thrifty ways. I donate significantly to charity, spend money on travel and will pay more for items if it supports my local grower or retailer. I pay more for clothing to support my local football team because, unlike the NFL, many CFL teams are community owned. I'll buy a t-shirt and hoodie from the Sanctuary site because it supports and advertises the show and, like you, I'll buy the DVDs to support them. Some won't have the money to do either, especially in these uncertain economic times, but their support in watching the show and converting others into fans is the most important thing. I think it's great we are all doing what we can.
                          Last edited by EH-T; 23 November 2008, 08:54 AM.

Thanks to Pengyn, SamJackShipLover and Mala for the sig.

Comment

The only way I'd consider buying any Sanctuary merchandise would be if I won the Lotto.
                            I haven't any problem with the cost of the clothing/hats...but the Air mail is the killer.

I've been figuring out the best deal to order two hats for my teens,and am sure the US Mail doesn't need to charge far more for two hats shipped in the same package,as they charge for the hats to be dispatched as separate orders.

Sample Air mail to the UK.All $ prices in US D.

One Hat @$24.99 +$7.90 Air mail +$2.50 handling =$35.39 ( £/GBP 23.61)

(So two hats sent sep = Total of $70.78 ( £/GBP 47.22 )

Two hats @$24.99 sent together in the same package comes to $49.98 + $ 31.47 Air mail +$2.50 handling =$83.95 ( £/GBP 56.02)

So £56.02- £47.22 = £8.80 difference.
                            ( USD 83.95-70.78 =$13.17)

Def a case of Buyer beware .

On the bright side . I've preordered the DVd set from amazon uk.
                            The place to "Gate" to during Outages for updates and info:

Comment

Originally posted by F.H.BAGPUSS View Post
                              The only way I'd consider buying any Sanctuary merchandise would be if I won the Lotto.
                              I haven't any problem with the cost of the clothing/hats...but the Air mail is the killer.

I've been figuring out the best deal to order two hats for my teens,and am sure the US Mail doesn't need to charge far more for two hats shipped in the same package,as they charge for the hats to be dispatched as separate orders.

Sample Air mail to the UK.All $ prices in US D.

One Hat @$24.99 +$7.90 Air mail +$2.50 handling =$35.39 ( £/GBP 23.61)

(So two hats sent sep = Total of $70.78 ( £/GBP 47.22 )

Two hats @$24.99 sent together in the same package comes to $49.98 + $ 31.47 Air mail +$2.50 handling =$83.95 ( £/GBP 56.02)

So £56.02- £47.22 = £8.80 difference.
                              ( USD 83.95-70.78 =$13.17)

Def a case of Buyer beware .

On the bright side . I've preordered the DVd set from amazon uk.
                              Maybe you should try the 1-800 number and ask them why it can't be sent in one package. Maybe it's just the way the order form is on the website. Doesn't make sense to ship them separately.

We are still waiting to hear about ordering DVDs in our region. Is it too much to hope for commentary by Amanda on all 13 episodes?

Thanks to Pengyn, SamJackShipLover and Mala for the sig.

Comment

I'm not certain if that number is toll-free from the Uk ,but I might send an e-mail to enquire about that,and to check the mailing costs.

I'm surprised the DVDs haven't been put onto the pre-order lists for the US/Canada etc,yet.

When AOT and Continuum were first available, the US sites were first to offer them ,as far as I recall.

Here's hoping for plenty commentary from Amanda .She's knowledgeable ,and a hoot !
                                ( Kinda geekily hoping for commentary from MW and DK too)
                                The place to "Gate" to during Outages for updates and info:

Comment

Working...
                                X