Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sanctuary Discussion (Spoilers for the most recent episode)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by EvenstarSRV View Post
    Spoiler:
    Oh, that would be cool too. Especially after she had Ashley, she probably really wanted to find a way to 'fix' her longevity, or she'd have to face outliving her daughter.
    Spoiler:
    I personally don't think, or want, for Helen to find a "cure" to her longevity. Well, most certainly not in the first season. With only 13 episodes, most will be story related. But, for obvious reasons, they'll have to do something about it after a few years. However, most importantly, it would totally change the character that is Helen Magnus. I wouldn't want to see such a drastic change until a 5th+ season, and not the second.

EDIT

... did that really need to be in a spoiler tag?

Comment

Duuuuuuuuuuuuuuuude!!!!!!

DUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUDEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

During the last commercial break for the latest Eureka, there was, yet again, a new trailer for Sanctuary. My. Lord. There was quite literally to much new stuff in it to go through it all right now (still having a conniption fit of joy ). What I will say right now though, is that you all, like myself, will most likely be flipping out with TWO HOURS of this of stuff (dead serious here, I'm about ready to start running ****ing laps around the house).

Comment

Originally posted by Falcon 304 View Post
        Duuuuuuuuuuuuuuuude!!!!!!

DUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUDEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

During the last commercial break for the latest Eureka, there was, yet again, a new trailer for Sanctuary. My. Lord. There was quite literally to much new stuff in it to go through it all right now (still having a conniption fit of joy ). What I will say right now though, is that you all, like myself, will most likely be flipping out with TWO HOURS of this of stuff (dead serious here, I'm about ready to start running ****ing laps around the house).
        AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH I wish I could see these promos . Is there anyway I can see these?!

Comment

Originally posted by EvenstarSRV View Post
          Spoiler:
          Well, embryo cryopreservation is possible today, you basically use put the embryo into a glycerol solution, then freeze it using liquid nitrogen. Of course, the first time this was successful with a human embryo was the 1970s, and the longest an embryo has stayed viable has been about 10 years.

I assumed Helen got pregnant while she was engaged to Druitt, but aside from the glycerol and liquid nitrogen they didn't have anywhere near the technology necessary to preserve embryos in 1888.

I hope they do explain how Helen was able to 'freeze' Ashley's embryo, and I wouldn't be surprised if James Crick tied to this as well as Helen's longevity.
          why are we spoilering everything?

i'll continue to do it, just in case... uh... we get sucked into a blackhole!

Spoiler:
          what if james, in experimenting on freezing the embryo, 'accidently' gave helen longevity?

on a side and off topic-like note: when i was signing in today, i started trying out amanda instead of majorsal.

side note #2: i wonder if we can get some helen (and company) smileys put on gateworld?

sally
          sally

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Rocky89 View Post
            AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH I wish I could see these promos . Is there anyway I can see these?!
            Nah, I just looked and there's diddly on youtube for even the "old" ones. I'd like to watch it at least one more time (prepare myself ) before I do a play by play. Thankfully I get home early from school tomorrow and can watch the final two episodes of the SG1 marathon, so I'll be watching intently, as compared to when I'm on the web during the X-Files.

Hmm, maybe I'll jack my sister's camera again... JUST for you guys/gals!

Now though, bed time.

Comment

From around 7PM Vancouver time:
              Damian Kindler is in the sound mix for the two hour premiere of Sanctuary. Dear Lord... it's amazing!
              suse
              sigpic
              Mourning Sanctuary.
              Thanks for the good times!

Comment

Spoiler:
                I personally don't think, or want, for Helen to find a "cure" to her longevity. Well, most certainly not in the first season. With only 13 episodes, most will be story related. But, for obvious reasons, they'll have to do something about it after a few years. However, most importantly, it would totally change the character that is Helen Magnus. I wouldn't want to see such a drastic change until a 5th+ season, and not the second.

EDIT

i'd like helen's longevity to eventually be cured, but because of the last ep of 'xena', i'm afraid helen's death might be the cure.

not that there's any hint (yet) of that happening, but writers like to do some grand gesture stuff and i could see that being used in the ultimate sad sacrifice.

argh, i'm getting depressed just thinking about it!

sally
                sally

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by RealmOfX View Post
                  Even though I really want to know how it was done, I don't think that we'll get too much of an in depth explanation. Remember that it isn't "our" Victorian age, it is "their" era where scientific and mechanical advances do exist. In "steam punk" style stories it is rarely explained but simply told as if it is a common thing (like a microwave oven is to us).

In stories like League of Extraordinary Gentlemen, Twenty Thousand Leagues Under the Sea, The Island of Doctor Moreau etc the tech and science were mentioned and seen and used but you rarely got an explanation of how it worked. It was simply an aspect of the story telling and it was taken as a given that it exists in the world of the story. As Damian has based his story in a similar setting I think he'll follow along with the genre style.
                  That's the feeling I got from the webbies, though it could change with the series. It's very possible Ashley's freezing will never be explained. You just have to take it with the SciFi/Fantasy grain of salt.

Has anyone seen this article? http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/24556999/?GT1=43001
                  It strikes a strangely familiar "Void" chord with me for some strange reason...
                  sigpic

"The men cheered! The women fainted! The children waved multi-colored flags!" -Amanda Tapping

SG-1 FanFiction
                  Sanctuary Fanfiction

Comment

Originally posted by RealmOfX View Post
                    Even though I really want to know how it was done, I don't think that we'll get too much of an in depth explanation. Remember that it isn't "our" Victorian age, it is "their" era where scientific and mechanical advances do exist. In "steam punk" style stories it is rarely explained but simply told as if it is a common thing (like a microwave oven is to us).

In stories like League of Extraordinary Gentlemen, Twenty Thousand Leagues Under the Sea, The Island of Doctor Moreau etc the tech and science were mentioned and seen and used but you rarely got an explanation of how it worked. It was simply an aspect of the story telling and it was taken as a given that it exists in the world of the story. As Damian has based his story in a similar setting I think he'll follow along with the genre style.
                    Excellent point! Thanks for the reminder. Yeah, they don't really have to explain it. As I recall it was just somehow Capt. Nemo came up with all this stuff and you just go with it.

Comment

Spoiler:

EDIT

Well
                      Spoiler:
                      a 5th season sounds good.

Originally posted by majorsal View Post
                      i'd like helen's longevity to eventually be cured, but because of the last ep of 'xena', i'm afraid helen's death might be the cure.

not that there's any hint (yet) of that happening, but writers like to do some grand gesture stuff and i could see that being used in the ultimate sad sacrifice.

argh, i'm getting depressed just thinking about it!

sally
                      *Tight hugs* I know how you feel Sally, I'd like to have Helen's longevity cured too, but I reaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaly don't want her death to be the only way . I want her to be able to live out a good life, and it'd be to sad to see Helen live out her daughter, but it'd be even more sadder to see helen die . But yeah, I agree with you and Falcon, I'd like to one day see her cured .

Comment

Originally posted by jckfan55 View Post
                        Excellent point! Thanks for the reminder. Yeah, they don't really have to explain it. As I recall it was just somehow Capt. Nemo came up with all this stuff and you just go with it.
                        i kind of hope they do explain it, though. it just makes it feel more relatable i think.

sally
                        sally

sigpic

Comment

Just saw the new trailer...

Spoiler:
                          They had the bit where Ashley says "This was definitely not in the brochure" and the part where Will asks who Helen is, but it looked like new footage. It was a wider angle, lighter coloring. More TV-ish. Less goth-ish. There was a line where you hear Helen saying "This is not a zoo and it's certainly not a prison." There was more, but it was mostly bits and pieces, and shots of Helen's lab and such. There were still scenes from the webbies too.

And that's about it. Can't wait for 8/3!
                          sigpic

"The men cheered! The women fainted! The children waved multi-colored flags!" -Amanda Tapping

SG-1 FanFiction
                          Sanctuary Fanfiction

Comment

Originally posted by suse View Post
                            From around 7PM Vancouver time:

suse
                            Yay!!!
                            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by antoa View Post
                              You know, she could have just known a abnormal with the ability to freeze and preserve things like human tissue. It didn't necessarily need to involve science.
                              I'm just saying.
                              True!! Keep saying antoa...I like your sayings!!
                              Originally posted by ann_sgcfan View Post
                              Regarding freezing the embryo. Helen's dad was pretty advanced due to his work with the abnormals. Maybe instead of freezing the embryo (which is the procedure used today in medicine) they found another way to preserve or suspend the embryo. Helen's 157 years old after all. So suspending life, slowing cell growth was available to someone in that time without the use of liquid nitrogen ... lol well in the Scifi world anyways
                              Yeah. Maybe there is/was an abnormal out there who secreted a... well, goo is the best thing I can come up with, or something in their blood slows down the growth of cells. Whether or not my theory will turn out to be true, I have an inkling that Helen's longevity and the preservation of the Ashley embryo are related.
                              What about the stuff the witches were soaked in?? The green goo??? That preserved them right??? So maybe something like that was used. Just thinking!
                              Originally posted by majorsal View Post
                              why are we spoilering everything?
                              i'll continue to do it, just in case... uh... we get sucked into a blackhole!
                              Spoiler:
                              what if james, in experimenting on freezing the embryo, 'accidently' gave helen longevity?

sally
                              That whole black hole thing is such a huge topic of discussion at my kids schools...almost to the pint where they are concerned as to what will happen.
                              Sally, I love your theory on the James/Helen/embryo thing...very cool...no pun intended!!
                              Originally posted by Bekah See View Post
                              Has anyone seen this article? http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/24556999/?GT1=43001
                              It strikes a strangely familiar "Void" chord with me for some strange reason...
                              I posted something like that in the Samanda thread a few days ago...on Sunday actually!!
                              Originally posted by Bekah See View Post
                              Just saw the new trailer...
                              Spoiler:
                              They had the bit where Ashley says "This was definitely not in the brochure" and the part where Will asks who Helen is, but it looked like new footage. It was a wider angle, lighter coloring. More TV-ish. Less goth-ish. There was a line where you hear Helen saying "This is not a zoo and it's certainly not a prison." There was more, but it was mostly bits and pieces, and shots of Helen's lab and such. There were still scenes from the webbies too.

And that's about it. Can't wait for 8/3!
                              So how does one get to see said trailer???
                              I can't wait to see the new series...I'm gonna have to keep my enthusiasm under control and my impatience on a tight leash...I'm gonna hate waiting for every new ep!!
                              "Live Peace - Speak Kindness - Dwell in Possibility"
                              Hug Your Loved Ones!!
                              ~Amanda Tapping

Comment

*stomps foot*
                                *wails*
                                I wanna see the new trailers!!

Is it October yet?????

Wadda ya mean NO????????

Oh rats! it's still...

-

Comment

Working...