Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sanctuary Discussion (Spoilers for the most recent episode)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I don´t understand what is so bad about having romance in the show if it´s well done. I think Abby and Will sucks but Henry and Erika I like, and then so much romance is not in that show IMO only Abby and Will are overdone and boring and I don´t sense love and Henrys girlfriend you hardly see, so I can´t agree that it is too much romance.

Comment

Originally posted by Altariel View Post
      I don´t understand what is so bad about having romance in the show if it´s well done. I think Abby and Will sucks but Henry and Erika I like, and then so much romance is not in that show IMO only Abby and Will are overdone and boring and I don´t sense love and Henrys girlfriend you hardly see, so I can´t agree that it is too much romance.
      Henry and Erika isn't too much but it's too vague; we don't see her for ages after she spent a few days at the Sanctuary with Henry (and that awful double date with Will and Abby) and he wants to propose and she wants him to come with her to England. Then, BAM, she turns up pregnant! And they're still totally in love and very accepting over the situation, don't make a fuss about her complications and then she's gone again only for us to see Henry imply (in the vid to his kid) that Erika is still in England and the baby will grow up there as well but Henry will stay with the Sanctuary. And that's just wrong! We should have at least seen something about how they're dealing with this pregnancy and maybe hear about what their plans are for the next two years... not to mention it sounds kinda stupid for Erika to just take the meds Helen came up with and leave the next day or so; it would be much safer for her to stay under Helen's watchful eye to see how the treatment is going. Since it's not deemed safe enough at the Sanctuary Helen could have at least mentioned something to Henry about talking to Erika's aunt who'll oversee the rest of the treatment now that she's gone back to England.

The stuff that makes it suck is that we were more or less fully introduced with their relationship in the date night episode, which was awful (and also focused on Will and Abby again!).

Overall Will's love life just gets too much attention and even more so now that he's with Abby.
      Unmade Plans (WIP: 11/20):
      Sam's life takes a turn in an unexpected direction when she's faced with an unplanned pregnancy. The decision to keep the baby and raise it on her own will alter her life forever. Relationships are put to the test, especially the one between her and Jack. She doesn't know what to expect from him and he surprises her at every turn.
      On FFnet or AO3

My S/J fics can be found on FFnet and AO3. I also tweet and tumble about the ship and my writing/stories.

Comment

Originally posted by fems View Post
        I guess it really depends... they managed to keep the Sanctuary secret for quite some time and it seems to be only in recent years (maybe the last decade or two) that the government started to interfere with the Old City Sanctuary (and its network), even though they already knew about Helen and James' work in England in the early nineteen hundreds. And even then it only seemed to be known to people at the top of the government/UN. But Abnormals knew about Helen Magnus and the Sanctuary even if they didn't go there.

If the Abnormals would want to leave the new Sanctuary I think they should, but most of them were probably already with the old Sanctuaries and never left those buildings; now they can walk around their kind (with the exception of the dangerous ones) and enjoy the artificial sun and rivers etc. So why would they want to leave? I also imagine Abnormals have only been allowed to take up residence, work with the Sanctuary and whatnot under the condition they don't betray Magnus (although of course they can easily break their word but still). We saw Helen Magnus ask SHJ to become her first resident and he took her up on her offer knowing it would mean people would stop hunting him and he'd be able to live in her Sanctuary in safety (and good health presumably). But we've never seen any of the residents wanting to leave with the exception of the dangerous ones that have come to kill them or something.
        I agree, it depends on the level of 'secret' they want to take in future storylines. Total secrecy is almost impossible to maintain so I'm thinking a shadow organisation that some people know exist but not too many real details are known. Maybe they'll develop a memory erasing drug or something? Who knows what Helen came up with in her last 113 years, they certainly left the door wide open on storylines.

BTW what makes you think SHJ was her first resident? The Sanctuary was already up and running as far as I know. You can even hear occupant noises when Helen talks James in the lab.
        -

Comment

I don't know, that's how I recalled it... maybe I read it somewhere or interpreted it wrong. I only watched the episode once so it's probably just me.

Maybe Magnus can convince the crixorum (sp?) to do a little mind altering if anyone wants to leave... you know, if they decide to go for a bit darker/more ruthless Magnus like they have in the last season (although I think that was mostly to protect her secret).
          Unmade Plans (WIP: 11/20):
          Sam's life takes a turn in an unexpected direction when she's faced with an unplanned pregnancy. The decision to keep the baby and raise it on her own will alter her life forever. Relationships are put to the test, especially the one between her and Jack. She doesn't know what to expect from him and he surprises her at every turn.
          On FFnet or AO3

My S/J fics can be found on FFnet and AO3. I also tweet and tumble about the ship and my writing/stories.

Comment

Originally posted by fems View Post
            Henry and Erika isn't too much but it's too vague; we don't see her for ages after she spent a few days at the Sanctuary with Henry (and that awful double date with Will and Abby) and he wants to propose and she wants him to come with her to England. Then, BAM, she turns up pregnant! And they're still totally in love and very accepting over the situation, don't make a fuss about her complications and then she's gone again only for us to see Henry imply (in the vid to his kid) that Erika is still in England and the baby will grow up there as well but Henry will stay with the Sanctuary. And that's just wrong! We should have at least seen something about how they're dealing with this pregnancy and maybe hear about what their plans are for the next two years... not to mention it sounds kinda stupid for Erika to just take the meds Helen came up with and leave the next day or so; it would be much safer for her to stay under Helen's watchful eye to see how the treatment is going. Since it's not deemed safe enough at the Sanctuary Helen could have at least mentioned something to Henry about talking to Erika's aunt who'll oversee the rest of the treatment now that she's gone back to England.

The stuff that makes it suck is that we were more or less fully introduced with their relationship in the date night episode, which was awful (and also focused on Will and Abby again!).

Overall Will's love life just gets too much attention and even more so now that he's with Abby.
            My personal view is that I am more interested in the interactions between the Sanctuary team than I am with their love lives. That view is strengthened when that stuff is not well done. Will and Abby's relationship is way too juvenile IMO. I like Abby when they write her as a capable professional. That doesn't mean they have to write her being serious all the time (for example, I liked her enthusiasm about getting a window). As for Henry and Erica, I like Erica but if they are just going to have her pop in once or twice a season and make Henry an absent (and therefore irresponsible) partner and father then I really don't see the point.

Thanks to Pengyn, SamJackShipLover and Mala for the sig.

Comment

i don't see what the prob is either. i'd say the only *problem* is the boyfriends/girlfriends for our ppl are *always* boring! sometimes the actors they hire for the show are outstanding (tesla, watson, druitt), but other times, i think they just hire nice ppl instead of good actors.

i don't mind henry's girlfriend, but i don't see any vavoom in them anymore than i do with wil/abby (though the former isn't as irritating as the latter).

i adore romance in shows/movies, etc, but they just need to hire more vavoom actors.
              sally

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver View Post
                you can't keep subtropolis a secret if its residents can come and go as they please. Someone will talk and word will get out.
                the only way to keep the secret is to not allow them to leave.
                Wouldn't that make them prisoners to some degree? I thought the Sanctuary wasn't meant to be a prison and that the "guests" could come & go as they please but the dangerous ones were of course a different case with them being locked in the SHU.
                I actually don't mind Abby & Will - especially if they play off together like they did in the last episode of season 4. I'm not so sure about Henry & Erika coz we do't see much interaction between them.
                I wouldn't mind seeing Helen & Druitt together & while they do have a volatile past together, it was made clear in some eps - Haunted for example - that Helen clearly loved John & vice versa...there was a lot to their relationship we have missed or that may have been altered now with her trip to the past but I think theirs is a love that will go on forever. Having said that, I do love the pairing of Helen & Nikola. That's a relationship that I would love to see develop...it's funny & very dramatic all at the same time.
                "Live Peace - Speak Kindness - Dwell in Possibility"
                Hug Your Loved Ones!!
                ~Amanda Tapping

Comment

Originally posted by Chelle DB View Post
                  Wouldn't that make them prisoners to some degree? I thought the Sanctuary wasn't meant to be a prison and that the "guests" could come & go as they please but the dangerous ones were of course a different case with them being locked in the SHU.
                  That's the question. SHe fought and schemed for over 100 years to make subtropolis a reality. how far will she go to protect it?

an unanswered question for season five
                  Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

i think it should stay mostly a secret, at least to all government officials, public. the abnormals should know about it, but maybe not its exact location. as for the abnormals already living in the sanctuaries they have the right to go in and out when they please.

of course most of the sanctuarys staff should know: will, henry, kate, declan, ect. and of course nicola .

as for the relationships, i don't really like abby, at least not the way she was for most of the season, except maybe the finale. so i can't say i enjoy seeing will and abby scenes. as for henry and erika i like them. i do hope that assuming theres a fifth season there is a bit more of them together. and i don't think henry is going to be a dead beat dad, i'm sure he'll find ways to visit them in england and work for the sanctuary.
                    sigpic

Comment

I still think that if what happened with Monsoon carried on into S5 would be a benefit for the character of Magnus, and the fans so we can see her the show explore that side to her. Amanda said that Helen and Amelia Earhart had something, so why can't that be explored? We've seen all sorts of sides to Helen, and I think that seeing more of that could allow fans to understand her more.

Comment

I would like to see it further explored in season 5 we only saw a little glimpse of it in Monsoon I really liked seeing this otherside of Helen I agree with you Rocky oh and to answer your eralier question I'd love to see Charlotte again there is so much I want to know about her and I'm also curious about what happened between Helen and Charlotte after the credits came up at the end Did Helen stay and relax and hangout or did it finish after the kiss?
                        sigpic
                        (''For all Eternity'') Ripperette,MultishipperAmanda=Angel Magnett,Teslan,Willen

Comment

i don't really care what happened afterwards. not that i'm against that kind of relationship, i just think it has nothing to do with the story, and that would be the same if it was a random guy that she kissed.
                          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by blueray View Post
                            i don't really care what happened afterwards. not that i'm against that kind of relationship, i just think it has nothing to do with the story, and that would be the same if it was a random guy that she kissed.
                            I earlier said that I don´t think it is possible that they had Sex, cause she was injured, she had skin-abrasion on her shoulder and surely many bruises and I don´t think Sex would be so great with this injuries and she had a important meeting with Feliz. Would she cancel that for a nookie? I imagine that it ended with the kiss and she went with Feliz to the plane.

Comment

I still felt the kiss was out of nowhere. If I wasn't expecting it due to spoilers, I would have thought I'd missed something. I'd have been just as surprised if she'd kissed Feliz or someone else, it's not like they'd been flirting the whole episode.
                              sigpic

Comment

I see from GW's home page that CH has signed to do True Blood. He is also doing the other series he was doing last year (the name escapes me). I fear this means if we do get a season 5 that we again get no or little John (pardon the pun ) and maybe it will determine the fate of Biggie.

Thanks to Pengyn, SamJackShipLover and Mala for the sig.

Comment

Working...
                                X