Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sanctuary Discussion (Spoilers for the most recent episode)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Chelle DB View Post
    That's the problem...with a cliffhanger you can always have hope...maybe SyFy gave them the heads up that they're not likely to be renewed & be prepared. Still, IIRC, I hreard they might have something up their sleeves if SyFy does what SyFy does so well.
    It doesn't work that way Chelle. You might want to see the recent discussion in the finale ep thread for why.

I know the waiting is hard but just remember we didn't hear until Jan 18 last year.
    -

Comment

Originally posted by RealmOfX View Post
      It doesn't work that way Chelle. You might want to see the recent discussion in the finale ep thread for why.
      I know the waiting is hard but just remember we didn't hear until Jan 18 last year.
      What doesn't work what way? I can't keep up with the chat...can you give me the low down??
      "Live Peace - Speak Kindness - Dwell in Possibility"
      Hug Your Loved Ones!!
      ~Amanda Tapping

Comment

This is an in-depth answer why no major changes can be done for a season finale based on the ratings for the same season:
        http://forum.gateworld.net/threads/8...1#post13120927
        "Are you like, a crazy person?"
        "I am quite sure they will say so."

Comment

Perhaps my post was misunderstood...I wasn't implying that the last ep was made in the last minute or anything but maybe at the beginning of the year they already knew that Skiffy was iffy...my point being that regardless of when they shot the last ep, perhaps they did it with it being the last season in mind.
          I was trying to be careful by using words like "maybe" & "perhaps"...I'm certainly not saying anything is for certain...just thinking out loud.
          I really do I hope I'm wrong & that seaon 5 is given the go ahead.
          Hug Your Loved Ones!!
          ~Amanda Tapping

Comment

Perhaps my post was misunderstood...I wasn't implying that the last ep was made in the last minute or anything but maybe at the beginning of the year they already knew that Skiffy was iffy...my point being that regardless of when they shot the last ep, perhaps they did it with it being the last season in mind.
            I was trying to be careful by using words like "maybe" & "perhaps"...I'm certainly not saying anything is for certain...just thinking out loud.
            I definitely had the impression that MAD were hedging their bets with SFN - it felt like it could be a series ender, but still left the door wide open for S5 if when it gets confirmed

Comment

I am hopeful for a season 5 (when am I not hopeful? ).

It occurs to me that SFN is very much like Full Circle in SG1. It is a show that works as a series ender BUT also works for the continuation of the series. It brings the Sanctuary story full circle. At the time FC was written, TPTB did not know the fate of SG1. I hope the comparison will continue and that we get a season 5 (and many more years) of Sanctuary.

Thanks to Pengyn, SamJackShipLover and Mala for the sig.

Comment

Sanctuary withdrawal has set in already. First Saturday in a long time without a new episode to discuss.

Comment

No, not misunderstood at all, it just doesn't work that way. There would be no reason for Syfy to be iffy at that point because there would be no ratings to make any kind of decision.

Ever think that MAD made the decision themselves based on their knowledge of the industry and their position?
                  -

Comment

No, not misunderstood at all, it just doesn't work that way. There would be no reason for Syfy to be iffy at that point because there would be no ratings to make any kind of decision.

Ever think that MAD made the decision themselves based on their knowledge of the industry and their position?
                    Which amounts to MAD being iffy...

Eh. I'll he happy to see more if they stop with the political/terrorist stuff.
                    sigpic
                    Mourning Sanctuary.
                    Thanks for the good times!

Comment

Originally posted by suse View Post
                      Which amounts to MAD being iffy...

Eh. I'll he happy to see more if they stop with the political/terrorist stuff.
                      MAD have always been iffy on if they'll get another season though, I'm just glad they got Damian to stop with the damn cliffhangers (I hatez them!).
                      -

Comment

I love cliffhangers and I would have much rather the finale had ended after the Sanctuary blew up, or even with Addison's "Hell of an exit" instead of the full circle ending we got now.

They could have added the last scene on the DVD box set, either as an extra scene or longer episode (just not the aired one) and then if they got cancelled the fans who bought the set still got their ending and if they got another season they could simply start there or with a similar scene. That way they might actually give people an extra incentive to buy the DVDs.
                        Unmade Plans (WIP: 11/20):
                        Sam's life takes a turn in an unexpected direction when she's faced with an unplanned pregnancy. The decision to keep the baby and raise it on her own will alter her life forever. Relationships are put to the test, especially the one between her and Jack. She doesn't know what to expect from him and he surprises her at every turn.
                        On FFnet or AO3

My S/J fics can be found on FFnet and AO3. I also tweet and tumble about the ship and my writing/stories.

Comment

I just wish they would confirm a season 5 or annouce if it's finsihed...I hate this waiting. But if I was a betting person, I'd be saying I think we've seen the last of Sanctuary on SyFy.
                          Please let me be wrong.
                          sally

sigpic

Comment

Oh absolutley...but given SyFy's habit of axing the good stuff & so unexpectedly so - SG1 for example - I just wonder if ratings are the only basis on which they decide to not renew a contract...and given that Sanctuary's ratings in season 3 were not top...which baffles me...I wonder if they...both MAD & SyFy have been sitting on the fence on where to take Sanctuary next.
                            Hug Your Loved Ones!!
                            ~Amanda Tapping

Comment

Oh absolutley...but given SyFy's habit of axing the good stuff & so unexpectedly so - SG1 for example - I just wonder if ratings are the only basis on which they decide to not renew a contract...and given that Sanctuary's ratings in season 3 were not top...which baffles me...I wonder if they...both MAD & SyFy have been sitting on the fence on where to take Sanctuary next.
                              Ratings are always a major part of the decision because that is what raises the revenue, but there are other factors that will be considered and they vary from case to case.

Here's the Season averages when the decision is made for the next season :
                              total viewers - total rating - A18-49 rating
                              Season 2 : 1,570,000 - 1.02 - 0.52
                              Season 3 : 1,457,500 - 0.91 - 0.43
                              Season 4 : 1,264,385 - Not avail. - 0.40

As you can see they have been going down slightly, it'll depend on what license fee MAD ask for vs what Syfy thinks they can make a profit on. Then it depends on what private finance MAD can raise. There's a thousand balls to juggle during the process so it takes a while.
                              -

Comment

Ratings are a major part but they're not all that can factor in. For example, for SG1 it was said that the show getting renewed was always contingent upon Rick remaining with the show or moving on.

With Crusade, TNT wanted to take the show one way, JMS another, they reached an impasse and the show was cancelled after 13 episodes I think.

for MOST shows, it's ratings and the profit/loss ratio. but there can be other things like an actor's participation or the show runners running afoul of the network...or in the case of a show in the 90's, the death of the show's star
                                Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X