Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sanctuary Discussion (Spoilers for the most recent episode)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Popping in before I head off to bed to say....I LOVED "The Five" it was fantastic! And *hugs Henry tight* you gotta love him.

Julia(samcarterrules)
    sigpic
    Thanks to Ambermoon for the wonderful Avatar Sig by: Me

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver View Post
      taken from a review on the review thread...this struck me

what's one of the biggest complaints of SOME fans for SG1 and SGA over the past few years????? the over emphasis on boobs, butts and bombs and shoddily written scripts.

why?

why must intelligent television be dumbed down to cater to the masses that - in the opinions of some - want nothing more than action and wow? And do they REALLY want that?

Look at BSG, it's not all 'wow', it has a well written and complicated story and it's a hit. Look at x-files and how long it lasted and what was the draw in the beginning? the stories, not the effects. when did many wander away from the show?? when they started to replace well written stories with monster of the week.

the obsession with 'wow' has killed many a show because, in my opinion, it takes away any depth and any emotional attachment to the show. 'wow' is easy to crank out and superficial and you end up with template shows and an endless 'ooh, let's get more wow than the other guys' cycle. and all you get is this escalation of effects while the story suffers.

I hope folks 'in charge' don't take that reviewer seriously. I enjoy watching a show that has a good story and the effects are just there to tell it...instead of the story being nothing but a set up to show off the latest renderings of CGI
      As much as I enjoy BSG, I felt like it took a short trip down the 'boobs, butts, and bombs' and 'shoddy scripts' route mid season 3 with the Starbuck-Anders-Lee-Dee soap opera, which nearly made me give up on the show. But for the most part I agree it's definitely one of the best written shows out there.

Originally posted by jckfan55 View Post
      The use of CG has been good, but actually to my mind good in the sense that a lot of the time I don't even think of it as being CG. When I saw a few behind the scenes shots there were backgrounds I hadn't even thought of as being CG. In a way isn't that a high compliment?
      I think it is a high compliment, because you're so engrossed in the characters and story that the background doesn't matter as much. I know a lot of the press Sanctuary has gotten has been for the groundbreaking CG and green screen work, but I don't think it would have gotten the season 2 pick up if it didn't also have well-written stories and interesting characters.

Now if only I can convince my sister to get me one of those hoodies for Christmas...

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by samcarterrules View Post
        Popping in before I head off to bed to say....I LOVED "The Five" it was fantastic! And *hugs Henry tight* you gotta love him.
        You've hugged him enough now, back away from Henry. He's mine!
        sigpic
        I prefer to be called Sunny, Sun or SK. Thanks.

Comment

Julia(samcarterrules)
          Originally posted by SunKrux View Post
          Fine, you can both have Henry, I'll take Helen, she's my girl. SHE'S MINE, ALL MINE!!! *Hugs Helen tightly* *Helen and Rocky run off together in the night* *Rocky drops by Cheyenne Mountain to pick up Sam* *Sam and Helen remind Rocky to pick up Amanda*

I'm a very lucky guy . I have the power, or should I say, I have the power of 3:

Comment

Originally posted by Rocky89 View Post
            Fine, you can both have Henry, I'll take Helen, she's my girl. SHE'S MINE, ALL MINE!!! *Hugs Helen tightly* *Helen and Rocky run off together in the night* *Rocky drops by Cheyenne Mountain to pick up Sam* *Sam and Helen remind Rocky to pick up Amanda*

I'm a very lucky guy . I have the power, or should I say, I have the power of 3:

http://i425.photobucket.com/albums/p...y89_03/vcv.jpg

with all the powers you have, any chance of you getting rda for me?...
            sally

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by majorsal View Post

Sure Sally .

Spoiler:

Comment

Originally posted by ann_sgcfan View Post
                I wouldn't think it's the actors personality. Robin, Amanda, Ryan, Chris, Emilie all seem to get along and genuinely have fun working with one another according to the interviews. Even Amanda said Robin is one of the funnies guys she knows. Ryan said he and Robin still hang out together even when not shooting Sanctuary.

I think it has more to do with the characters and not the actors at all... Will is the normal guy in an abnormal world. He has special skills, and brings his psychological help to the residents and also helps Helen and Ashley to solve the crime. He is pretty much get what you see type of character. Which IMO is important to bring the audience in. I think he needs a little mystery to him, and maybe that will come next year. Right now he is one of the few normals trying to adjust to this new world. Henry is the smart alec tech guy that has some mystery to him. I like both characters, because I think they both play an important part to the show. I have read elsewhere there have been some fans suddenly wanting one character to be eliminated to make room for others... *sigh* I guess it happens on every show... but I prefer to keep all the main actors and characters (Helen, Will, John, Ashley, and Henry) and allow the writers to develop them. I think the shows that change every year tend to lose audiences
                Well said, I love how the SG-1 and Sanctuary cast and crew had/have such a good time working with each other . Hey I realized, both shows have a very special common element-- Amanda . I've read and heard in interviews how a lot of people say Amanda's such a joy to work with, how she's always on top of her game, and how she's nice always so nice to people, cast, crew and fans . I wish my boss was like Amanda, better yet, I SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO wish Amanda was my boss Could you imagine if Amanda was YOUR boss, what would you do, like, what would you actually do?

When Robin was on the Circuit he talked about how much he likes working with Amanda, how she's so cool, how sometimes they can't get through scenes because they're having too much fun, and how it's such a joy working with her . And as he was talking, we saw a behind the scenes clip of Robin poking Amanda's nose with something pointy . No wonder why so many people say working with Amanda's a real treat and a big delight, she makes coming into work fun and enjoyable,

I liked KUSH which well acted by Robin and Amanda. I thought it was a strong episode. I think the next episode with the sub which features Will and Helen as well will be a lot of fun. I think Henry has done a great job in the last two episodes as well. I think the entire group is working well together.
                I liked Kush a lot, it was very well acted by Amanda and Robin, and it gave us a chance to learn a little about Helen and Will and it brought them closer together.

Originally posted by rderoch View Post
                Robin hasn't had a whole lot of meaty scenes yet. I have high hopes for Requiem. I think it will be an acting extravaganza for both of them.
                I agree , I'm so stoked about Requiem, it looks so good, even before the show started that's the episode I've been looking forward to seeing the most because Amanda said that it's the bravest work she's done in her career, so you know it has to be good .

Originally posted by morjana View Post
                An anecdotal observation on the increasing popularity of Sanctuary, at least by online fans.

I have a google blog at this link, where I mainly post about all things scifi, and mainly on Stargate and now Sanctuary.

For the past several weeks, I've noticed a dramatic rise in "hits" on my blog immediately AFTER Sanctuary airs on the US East Coast. Yesterday, for example, I had the most total hits on a single day-- 610, and 74 hits -- the most ever for a single hour -- in the hour after Sanctuary aired. 263 hits in the last four hours of the day, or 43% of the total hits in that four hour window.

The # 1 page for the day were the new stills from "Requiem" I posted here on GateWorld yesterday; followed by photos of Emilie Ullerup from the Leo Awards last June as the #2 page, and then Stargate Atlantis kicks in.

Today has been going very well too...562 hits so far, and I've still got six hours to go for the day.

Ooops, while I typed this and did some research and used the calculator, today's total hits has reached 580!

Go, Sanctuary, go!

EDIT: Nov. 23: The final daily total for Nov. 22 was 705! Woo-hoo, a new record. Almost all Sanctuary related hits too!
                Way cool . That's good and all, but how does it help the show?

Originally posted by Chelle DB View Post
                I know I mentioned this somewhere before but when I read fanfics, I tend to try to hear the voices of the characters in my head...so how weird is it when I start hearing Sam in English?? I think it's just because Amanda does such a fantastic job in her portrayal of Helen that I have trouble separating the two. Not that I say they are the same...it's just that they tend to cross over in my head...ok...I'm still not making sense but basically what I think I mean is that Amanda is such a brilliant actress that both characters are so convincingly real that me myself personally, have trouble keeping them apart. Ok...did that make sense or should I cut back on the caffeine?? Maybe I should just agree with you all. I don't see Sam in Sanctuary nor do I see Helen in SG1. Better??? Good!!
                Don't worry Chelle, I understood you, I have to admit though, sometimes when I'm watching Sanctuary I think of Sam sometimes, because I miss her, I MISS her a LOT , also when Helen starts talking technobabble, and last weeks episode when Helen had her hair up like this:
                Spoiler:

Her hair reminded me of Sam the way she wore it up on Atlantis. But Amanda does an amazing job playing Helen, just as she does paying Sam, she's so convincing that you really believe that she's two totally different people. You really don't see/think of Sam when you're watching Helen, and you don't see/think of Helen when you're watching Sam.

I mean, in the before pilot episode, I had never really seen Helen before, only Amanda with dark hair, and in promo pics and vids and stuff like that, but when I saw her for the first time, I was just so happy to see her, and I actually said, out loud too, "It's nice to finally meet you Helen".

I'll always regret that I wasn't around when SG-1 was on, I had seen bits of it here and there, but I was more into power Rangers and stuff, so I never sat back and watch it, and that I didn't really get into it until near the end of S10. I mean I was aware of the show, and I'd seen it here and there over the years, and I never thought much about it. then I bought the whole series set, and watch every episode in just 2 weeks. As for SGA, I had to watch S4 on my lap-top , I didn't have TMN back then. And came to Atlantis, I felt great because I could see Sam again in a new season of SGA, and watch a whole live episodes of the show. Watching those episodes when they were new, I felt like how I should have been when SG-1 was going on, but then it was over too. I missed out on 10 awesome years of live SG-1 adventures, and I missed all the action and fun when it was new, and I missed watching Sam grow up . But thinking of what my life's been like these past 12, years, I feel like how Amanda did after the last episode of SG-1 when she, Michael, and Chris went up to the briefing room, and looked down at the Gate I'm like "Well, that happened" (She said that in the Unending commentary)

But that WILL NOT be the case for Sanctuary, so far I've seen EVERY episode live on Friday nights, I record them too of course , then I come here and talk about it, and I will keep doing that as long as Sanctuary's around . As silly as it may sound, I want to make up for all those years I wasn't around for SG-1 . Which is why I want to continue to watch every episode live (the actual day it comes out) and I want to be there to see Helen in action every week on my big screen TV . This time, I'm gonna do things right, so it's kinda like a new beginning for me .
                Last edited by Rocky89; 25 November 2008, 07:36 AM.

Comment

i would have loved to have bought something, but i went when i saw the price.

but the dvd, YES!
                  Originally posted by LilFerret View Post
                  DVDs DVDs DVDs....

*waits for US pre-sale*
                  I have never heard a bad AT commentary. I'd love to hear AT & DK together--I don't think they've done any SG1s together. I like MW but he tends to, shall we say, dominate things? He gets so enthusiastic, which is good, but I sometimes feel like "hey, Martin, let Amanda get a word in edgewise already!" I always like the actor commentaries--it would be fun to have AT & Emilie since I'm a fan of the Helen-Ashley story. Also AT & Robin; AT & CH --I always like the behind the scenes stories of what the actors were thinking, how they decided to play something etc.

As for Sanctuary apparel--I think I'll save my $ for the DVDs.
                  i'm hoping for that too!

and amanda could come to my house and watch the eps with me, adding more commentary... hmm, i'll have to ask the fat-chance fairies about that

sally
                  Oh yes the DVD's, I'd love to hear Amanda's commentaries for the episodes, she always does the best, and I definitely want her to do one for Requiem remember the DVD's are gonna be a big part of the show's success, not a major part, but a big part, so remember BUY the DVD's with CASH. And I'll tell you why:

Merchandise is a BIG one, it's one of the most important factors in showing the company and/or network the popularity of a show or movie. As I told Sally, When the DVDs come out, I'm gonna buy the first season, and I'm gonna pay with cash to support the show and Amanda . Maybe I'll even buy 3 or 5 copies for extra support . Y'all should do the same . Because merchandise is just as important to a shows success IMHO. It shows how popular a show or movie is, and it's good money wise. Remember, the SG-1 season DVD's all sold well, and both the SG-1 movie were #1 at Amazon.com for a while at one point.

If it'd help Amanda and the show, I'll go in there, maybe store to store if I have to, and clean the shelves of all the copies . Because like I said, merchandise is just as important to a shows success, but the faster they sell is also just as important .

I mean look the the 2003 Hulk, even though it didn't fair to well with critics, but it did very well in Merchandise-- toys, books, games and what not. And look at Spider-Man 3, it broke records because it made over 150 million so fast. So yeah.
                  That's why , so remember,

BUY THE DVD'S
                  This is Doctor Helen Magnus, telling you to buy, not download, not burn, BUY the Sanctuary DVD's. That’s an order!

Comment

Thank you. I HEART Henry (No JanSam, he is STILL MINE! ALL MINE! BWAHAHAHAHA*cough*HAHAHAHAHA! ) a lot.

It's all part of what I call "the dumbing down of America" and sadly the rest of the world as a result. The execs in charge simply do not believe that anyone who watches the telly/TV/BoobTube/box whatever you want to call it can in any way be an intelligent person. So they cater to the "Middle Americans" - people who are given the antiquated Nielson ratings boxes/forms who are the ones telling those brainless execs what Americans really want to watch. If the entertainment - especially TV - industry would STOP using such an antiquated ratings system then the more intelligent Americans might get a chance to have their voices heard and maybe then we'd stop getting "reality crap" and more quality and quirky (dudes I'm pissed about Pushing Daisies) shows on air.

Your mileage may vary.
                    I'm thoroughly peeved about Daisies as well. The show has the best dialogue on TV and the characters are wonderful. I don't know why Bryan Fuller's shows don't make it, I've loved all of them. Dead Like Me, Wonderfalls, Pushing Daisies. Everyone of them has intelligent, witty dialogue and quirky flawed characters. Brilliance.

And you would think with the success of channels like History, Learning Channel, all the Discovery channels, etc that they would realize that the public is looking for something that not only entertains but informs. We want our brains to be stimulated.

They should make winter caps with the Sanctuary logo for those of us in snow country--or do they?
                    Great idea!

Originally posted by Falcon 304 View Post

Lets make a list of what kind of (realistic) Sanctuary merch we would like [to throw our money at S1 for ].

- Character t-shirts (Bigfoot = bought)
                    - Fancy key chains
                    - Insanely large posters..... fine, you're average sized large posters.
                    - Concept art pictures/book

Um... that's all I've got. For now.
                    I'll take one of each please. Ya know, at AT3 they had a life sized cardboard Helen. She suggested buying one for home security. Just place it in front of your window.

Originally posted by Celandine View Post
                    Didn't you know it's all a matter of perspective? The whole 'one man's blah is another man's blah blah' type thing. Plus, its fun to spoil others anyway...

Nope. All they had was a hoodie, baseball-type hat and t-shirt. The winter hat though would be most welcome. We got 35 degrees today!

Nice start...

I'd just like to see a behind the scenes bloopers dvd. They're always hilarious and offer a glimpse into the show that you normally dont see. I heard Robin and Amanda have some laughing fits while filming on occasion which reminds me of the old SG-1 days.
                    I wonder how long it took for them to get through their breathy scene on the couch in Nubbins.

This is Doctor Helen Magnus, telling you to buy, not download, not burn, BUY the Sanctuary DVD's. That’s an order!
                    Yes, ma'am. Right away, ma'am. Don't shoot!
                    Last edited by rderoch; 25 November 2008, 11:14 AM.
                    Love all, trust a few, do wrong to none.
                    William Shakespeare

Meddle ye not in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and tasty with ketchup.
                    Anon

Comment

Originally posted by Falcon 304 View Post
                      Lets make a list of what kind of (realistic) Sanctuary merch we would like [to throw our money at S1 for ].
                      - Character t-shirts (Bigfoot = bought)
                      - Fancy key chains
                      - Insanely large posters..... fine, you're average sized large posters.
                      - Concept art pictures/book
                      Um... that's all I've got. For now.
                      How about badges/buttons??? Lots of them!!!
                      Julia(samcarterrules)
                      *shoves Julia and Sunny and anyone else in the way*...move over girls...he's MINE!!!! Lucky I live so far away...when I get him here, you'll never be able to find him...mwahahaha!!!!!
                      *now...how to tell the hubby?*
                      Oh...he's mine too...you're far to young for Rick, Sally...I'll take care of him from here on!!
                      http://i425.photobucket.com/albums/pp337/Rocky89_03/RichardDeanAnderson-36.jpg
                      *thunk*
                      ...oh yeah!!!! Now that's what I'm talking about!!
                      Don't worry Chelle, I understood you, I have to admit though, sometimes when I'm watching Sanctuary I think of Sam sometimes, because I miss her, I MISS her a LOT
                      I don't miss Sam...I watch her every day before I go to work...so I don't miss her...but boy do I get toey waiting for Helen every week!!!!
                      "Live Peace - Speak Kindness - Dwell in Possibility"
                      Hug Your Loved Ones!!
                      ~Amanda Tapping

Comment

I don't miss Sam...I watch her every day before I go to work...so I don't miss her...but boy do I get toey waiting for Helen every week!!!!
                        Try waiting two weeks for more Sanctuary. Darn holiday.

Comment

But Sunny he's just so squishy, OK you can have Henry back, if I can have Ashley?

Yeah, in your dreams Rocky!!
                          I'm the same chelle its hard waiting those 7 days.

Julia(samcarterrules)
                          sigpic
                          Thanks to Ambermoon for the wonderful Avatar Sig by: Me

Comment

Yeah, in your dreams Rocky!!

Julia(samcarterrules)
                            It's already happened in my dreams actually . But hopefully I'll get lucky at AT5 or 6 .

But it seems fair, you guys have Henry, and you can even take Will, and I'll take Amanda, Sam and Helen .
                            Last edited by Rocky89; 25 November 2008, 12:26 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by rderoch View Post
                              I thoroughly peeved about Daisies as well. The show has the best dialogue on TV and the characters are wonderful. I don't know why Bryan Fuller's shows don't make it, I've loved all of them. Dead Like Me, Wonderfalls, Pushing Daisies. Everyone of them has intelligent, witty dialogue and quirky flawed characters. Brilliance.

And you would think with the success of channels like History, Learning Channel, all the Discovery channels, etc that they would realize that the public is looking for something that not only entertains but informs. We want our brains to be stimulated.
                              See that stuff I bolded *points up to the bolded rderoch quote up there? That is EXACTLY why his stuff doesn't last. Those damn "middle Americans" would rather watch reality crap, they seem to enjoy watching other people suffer, for money. Greed (sadly) is a big part of what fuels this planet and especially the US.

How about badges/buttons??? Lots of them!!!

*shoves Julia and Sunny and anyone else in the way*...move over girls...he's MINE!!!! Lucky I live so far away...when I get him here, you'll never be able to find him...mwahahaha!!!!!
                              *now...how to tell the hubby?*
                              *uses her super secret super powers to take Henry away from Chell and stashes him in her super secret lair where no one can find them...

You won't have to tell the hubby anything Chell, Henry is MINE! and you'll NEVER find him.

But Sunny he's just so squishy, OK you can have Henry back, if I can have Ashley?
                              As long as Ashley is okay with it I don't have a problem with it. Just leave Henry to me.
                              sigpic
                              I prefer to be called Sunny, Sun or SK. Thanks.

Comment

Been watching this show and it's such an improvement on its "webisode" version
                                scarimor

Comment

Working...
                                X