Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sanctuary Discussion (Spoilers for the most recent episode)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SunKrux View Post
    That's what I've been trying to tell folks.

And if we wanted to really get technical about it, the accent isn't the way one speaks, it's that little mark above letters indicating how they should be spoken. DIALECT is more the word of how we sound when we speak. That's what I learned years ago in my speech and diction class in college.
    Whereas in our sociolinguistics course at university, we were taught that accent is how you say something (the phonological elements) and dialect are the words we use.

So, for example...

"Stop being stroppy just because I ate the last bread roll" (Really odd example, sorry) would be said in an accent, because the vocabulary is the same wherever.

"Stop throwin a mard cause I ate our last cob" would be dialect because the vocabulary used is specific to the region.
    Yepp, it's blank down here.

Comment

Things may have changed or are slightly different in the US since I was in uni.
      sigpic
      I prefer to be called Sunny, Sun or SK. Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by rderoch View Post
        So YOU say.

That must reek havoc with any poor kiddies that emigrate across the border in either direction. Spelling bees would bring about some arguments.
        Actually in Canada we accept both ways of spelling

*we just prefer the correct way*
        sigpic

my fanfic

Comment

Originally posted by morjana View Post
          For the UK fans, SFX Magazine has a video clip of Sanctuary.

(I couldn't access it here from the US, so I have no idea what it is.)

After starting out on the internet last year, science fiction show Sanctuary is about to make its television debut – the first ever web series to make the transition to make the transition to episodic TV. The show focuses on 157-year-old Dr Helen Magnus (Amanda Tapping), a scientist who’s devoted her life to finding and helping the supernatural monsters and creatures who populate the world, out of sight of the human race. She’s helped out by her all-action daughter Ashley ( Emilie Ullerup) and psychiatrist Will Zimmerman (Robin Dunne), her reluctant protégé.

In a groundbreaking move for a TV show, Sanctuary’s gone down the route of Sin City and 300 to film predominantly in front of green, with intricate CG sets built around the actors. You can get a glimpse of what to expect in this exclusive clip.

If that’s whetted your appetite, the show starts airing on ITV4 at 9pm on Monday 6 October.
          At last, a video clip that I can see and you can't! LOL

It's the scene where Helen introduces Will to the main room in the Sanctuary, where they leave the lift and talk whilst walking.
          Every couple of seconds you see the green screen behind them, then you see the 'real' background, then back to green etc.
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by rderoch View Post
            TV Guide Online interview with Amanda.

http://video.tvguide.com/ID/1351428
            Oh wow, thanks a lot for that rderoch . Amanda looked so beautiful, and her answers were awesome , I jusy found another common element between Amanda and Helen, they are both ageless .

Originally posted by SamJackShipLover View Post
            I just don't like people saying Amanda is doing a bad accent
            Me too, it hurts .

Comment

Originally posted by Rocky89 View Post
              Oh wow, thanks a lot for that rderoch . Amanda looked so beautiful, and her answers were awesome , I jusy found another common element between Amanda and Helen, they are both ageless .

Hehe, I can't remember if I've shared this with you lot, but (long story short) one of my friends at school is set on believing that Amanda is no older than 27!!! I told him to watch Sanctuary, and if he did, that will only further his belief.

Comment

Here is a linkie to Amanda's recent Sanctuary interview on TV Guide - Up Close (mild spoilers...and I know it was just posted here...):

And thanks to Parsifal, here is a download of that video:

http://www.sendspace.com/file/6m8qpm

Since I cannot avoid capping, here are 45 caps, in zippy form, that I made tonight:

Teaser:

http://www.sendspace.com/file/qej8uw

Cross-posted.
                Jenni

Comment

if my hair would look like hers, i wouldn't get it cut off
                  Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by LilFerret View Post
                    Here is a linkie to Amanda's recent Sanctuary interview on TV Guide - Up Close (mild spoilers...and I know it was just posted here...):
                    Thank you muchly...

SG1/SGA/SGU - Saving Earth/Atlantis/?, one mission at a time!
                    SG1-Spoilergate Richard Dean Anderson Fans Abydos Gate Morjana
                    Morjana's Blog Twitter

Comment

I have a suggestion -- perhaps a proposal, or hey, a mission ...

NEXT Wednesday, Oct. 8, I propose that everyone at approximately the
                      same time -- say, 1pm ET -- go to Yahoo, and type in:

sanctuary+"SciFi Channel" or

"amanda tapping"+sanctuary (etc., "emilie ullerup"+sanctuary)

in the search box -- and press enter.

That means everyone in their time zone (or as close to it as they can
                      manage), to 1pm ET searches for sanctuary PLUS a delineator.

The result?

I'm hoping that with so many fans all searching for the same thing at
                      the same time -- that Sanctuary makes Yahoo's Today's Top Searches
                      (found on the bottom right hand side of the Yahoo main page) by
                      Friday, when the next episode airs.

And maybe even hits the Yahoo Top Buzz meter!

http://buzz.yahoo.com/

It would be important to ADD a delineator to Sanctuary, as sanctuary
                      is a common word.

Tell your friends. Ask your friends to ask their relatives. Etc.;
                      lather, rinse, repeat; and so on...

What do you think?

Too crazy?

Too odd?

Too...stupid?

Mission worthy?

Morjana

Morjana's Blog Twitter

Comment

I have no idea how Yahoo works, but this sounds like a cool plan to me But, it has to be a reasonable time for Europe as well (not sure what 1 PM ET is).
                        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by SamJackShipLover View Post
                          I have no idea how Yahoo works, but this sounds like a cool plan to me But, it has to be a reasonable time for Europe as well (not sure what 1 PM ET is).
                          US EDT is -4 GMT
                          UK is 0 GMT
                          AUS EDT is +11 GMT

So 1pm Wednesday US EDT is 5pm Wednesday UK and 4am Thursday my time
                          -

Comment

Originally posted by RealmOfX View Post
                            US EDT is -4 GMT
                            UK is 0 GMT
                            AUS EDT is +11 GMT

Thanks for the updates on the times, RealOfX.

4am is way too soon for your neck of the planet.

How about if you organize the Australian/New Zealand contingent for something more comfortable for your countries?

Thanks!

Last edited by morjana; 06 October 2008, 03:16 AM.

Morjana's Blog Twitter

Comment

Originally posted by LilFerret View Post

Amanda is on the MAIN page of TV Guide Online today! - Video Interview:

http://forum.gateworld.net/showpost....ostcount=97003

Morjana's Blog Twitter

Comment

Originally posted by RealmOfX View Post
                                US EDT is -4 GMT
                                UK is 0 GMT
                                AUS EDT is +11 GMT

Is it better to have as many people as possible at the same time??

How about:
                                4 pm US
                                8 pm UK
                                7 am Australia?
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X