Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sanctuary Discussion (Spoilers for the most recent episode)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by RealmOfX View Post
    Maybe that cute accessory in bed?

You don't buy scones! You make them yourself!!

BTW a quick check around the world. We don't pronounce scones the way Helen did. What are they called/pronounced in other countries/localities?

We say skon as in on
    Helen said skone as in cone

Don't the Yanks call them something else?

Oh yeah and the best way to have scones - a Devonshire tea. Thinks back to accessory, well maybe not
    I say scone the way Helen did. I'm in the US, West coast at the moment, though I grew up in Minnesota, where they call it a scooooone.

And I have to buy mine because I don't bake. I am just glad more and more places are discovering the joys of scones. I am treating myself to a blueberry one right now.

Comment

Hokay folks, some thoughts on the first two webisodes.

My one big gripe is - TOO DARK! Can someone please turn a light on? I can't make out the fine details. For example, I couldn't make out what was on Helen's business card - I saw it fine in the preview released last month BTW.

Crickets and/or ciccadas in 19th century London? I don't think so...

The two cops in the apartment scene really annoyed me. Ok, I know this is all set in a fictional city that seems to be equal part New York, Chicago, and San Fransisco, but - a police officer does not just shove his partner aside WITH THE HAND THAT IS CARRYING HIS SIDEARM.
      And while I'm on the subject, the writing team needs to brush up on police teminology - a cop may well say that he needs "EMT response" to his location, but he's more likely to say that he needs "A bus on a rush".

John Druit is a wonderful villain - but how come the bald guy is the wrong 'un? Speaking as a baldie myself, it's annoying. I thought we were past all the Ming the Meciless/Blofeld stereotypes?

And now, on a technical note - I'm using Power2Go as DVD burning software, and it won't let me burn Sanctuary webisodes onto a disc. The trailers and the preview, not a problem, it's quite happy with them.
      Anysuggestions?
      sigpic
      Long before you and I were born, others beat these benches with their empty cups,
      To the night and its stars, to the here and now with who we are.

Another sunrise with my sad captains, with who I choose to lose my mind,
      And if it's all we only pass this way but once, what a perfect waste of time.

Comment

Originally posted by NZBG View Post
        Bakery? My mum used to make them.

Before she was diagnosed with diabetes. Now all the white flour and jam is naughty. I'm gonna make them in my cute little bench top oven!
        Anyone care to share a recipe?

Comment

Originally posted by scarimor View Post
          I say skon. In some parts of England, skon is considered posh. In other parts of England, skone is considered posh. It's a funny one. My Welsh friend (whose first language is Welsh) says skon like me. And he likes me Mum's skons best.

Do they have 'em?
          Yup, we have em.

I'm in the midwest, in Michigan, and we say scone.
          Love all, trust a few, do wrong to none.
          William Shakespeare

Meddle ye not in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and tasty with ketchup.
          Anon

Comment

Originally posted by BruTak View Post

John Druit is a wonderful villain - but how come the bald guy is the wrong 'un? Speaking as a baldie myself, it's annoying. I thought we were past all the Ming the Meciless/Blofeld stereotypes?
            Ming the Merciless! Wasn't he great? In a badly funny way.

Comment

we don't really have scones. not normally. some bakeries sell them...but what you call a scone, we most closely call a biscuit

biscuits are southern food. a small bread like cake made from flour, baking soda, shortening. It can be made sweet with the addition of sugar or cinnamon.

we eat them as a bread with meals or as a meal with white/country gravy over them (white gravy is gravy with a milk and flour base, sometimes with sausage in it)
              Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

And now, on a technical note - I'm using Power2Go as DVD burning software, and it won't let me burn Sanctuary webisodes onto a disc. The trailers and the preview, not a problem, it's quite happy with them.
                Anysuggestions?
                it probably doesn't like the .mov format

try converting it into an mpeg (super is a pretty good video converter, and it's free) adn see if you can make a dvd from that

I use Final Cut then output it as a .m2v (apple's mpeg2) then dvd studio to burn it...but those programs aren't cheap and it ain't fast. it takes hours to render it, i'm guessing because of the HD content.
                Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by RealmOfX View Post
                  Maybe that cute accessory in bed?

You don't buy scones! You make them yourself!!

BTW a quick check around the world. We don't pronounce scones the way Helen did. What are they called/pronounced in other countries/localities?

We say skon as in on
                  Helen said skone as in cone

Don't the Yanks call them something else?

Oh yeah and the best way to have scones - a Devonshire tea. Thinks back to accessory, well maybe not

We called them skone( with a long o as in cone) in Seattle. When I worked downtown I would stop every morning and get a raspberry scone and a coffee from this little shop on my way to work, but I haven't had one since I left the PNW.

Comment

Do you have an evil twirly moustache too, Master Bru?

We say skon here in Bonnie Scotland.
                    sigpic

Comment

Hmmm... Yeah, might be something to do with the HD format.

I've burned other .mov stuff to DVD no problem. Battlestar Galactica: The Resistance, and Star Trek: New Voyages for example.
                      sigpic
                      Long before you and I were born, others beat these benches with their empty cups,

Comment

Originally posted by dipsofjazz View Post
                        Do you have an evil twirly moustache too, Master Bru?

We say skon here in Bonnie Scotland.
                        I've been under the impression that the Scots are the inventors of scones. Is that true?
                        (this thread is getting hazardous to the waistline!)

Comment

I say skon. In some parts of England, skon is considered posh. In other parts of England, skone is considered posh. It's a funny one. My Welsh friend (whose first language is Welsh) says skon like me. And he likes me Mum's skons best.

Do they have 'em?
                          I actually posted about just this thing on the sanctuary forums this morning.....

(EDIT: GW doesn't like certain characters I used in the post, so I'll link instead)

http://www.sanctuaryforall.com/forum...&postcount=624
                          Yepp, it's blank down here.

Comment

Originally posted by jckfan55 View Post
                            I've been under the impression that the Scots are the inventors of scones. Is that true?
                            (this thread is getting hazardous to the waistline!)
                            I dunno about that, but there is the traditional Scottish delicacy the Tattie (Potato) Scone.
                            sigpic

Comment

Do they have 'em?
                              Yes, there are scones to be found in the US. As Sky said, they are similar to biscuits, but where I've run into them, they've always been sweet varieties. If I wanted one, the best place to go would actually be Barnes & Noble, a big chain bookstore with cafes inside each store. It's a standard for them.

I've always heard it pronounced with a long o sound as in cone.
                              sigpic

In memory of Deejay.
                              May we all be so well loved.

Comment

Hmmm... Yeah, might be something to do with the HD format.

I've burned other .mov stuff to DVD no problem. Battlestar Galactica: The Resistance, and Star Trek: New Voyages for example.
                                Yes, but Sanctuary is a h.264 codec in the .mov container. A .mov isn't always a .mov - it's what's known as a container. Think of it as a box. You can have heaps of boxes of the same design (ie the .mov) but the content inside that box can be stored in different patterns (ie the codec). If you don't have the nessacary tools to read the pattern then you wont be able to use that file.
                                Now, you can't burn straight from a h.264 to a DVD because your DVD player won't recognise the codec. You'll need to encode it to a dvd standard which basically means downsampling the HD content (which is why it takes a while)

Comment

Working...
                                X