Captain America: The First Avenger Movie News/Spoilers/Discussion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kiera Knightly Approached for Captain America Role

The Hollywood Reporter, who last week broke the news of Hugo Weaving's tentative casting as Red Skull, has just revealed that Pirates of the Caribbean actress Keira Knightly was also approached by Marvel Studios to possibly star in The First Avenger: Captain America.

Details regarding the role are still secretive, it is believed she might portray Steve Roger's love interest Betsy Ross. Though Knightly is the first name to be linked to the character, Marvel is apparently still looking at other actresses.

<snip>

UPDATE: Deadline.com has just posted a few more actresses that could be Knightly's competition for the role: Alice Eve (She's Out of My League) and Emily Blunt (The Wolfman). They also state that the role is for Peggy Carter; who was not just one of Steve Roger's love interests, but an American spy and aunt to S.H.I.E.L.D. agent Sharon Carter.

http://www.comicbookmovie.com/fansit.../news/?a=15900

Comment

They just give her the chance to audition for Captain America himself, since they seem to be testing out everyone interested in it.

sigpic

Comment

I really hope this whole Avengers experiment works out, cause if it does, it will be incredible. On the other hand, if it doesn't it will be a complete disaster. But I really can't help but be excited about it.

Perfecto!

Comment

ryan phylippe speaks about cap
          Phillippe indicated he's gunning for the part himself. "I'm really into it," he said. "We'll see what happens, but yeah, it'd be fun."

http://scifiwire.com/2010/03/captain...-casting-r.php

Comment

Chris Evans (Johnny Storm in the FF movies) as reportedly been offered the Captain America role.

http://www.thewrap.com/ind-column/ma...is-evans-15475

Perfecto!

Comment

Originally posted by Major_Griff View Post
              Chris Evans (Johnny Storm in the FF movies) as reportedly been offered the Captain America role.

http://www.thewrap.com/ind-column/ma...is-evans-15475
              Some Updates:

Update 1:Hollywood Deadline adds that Chris was indeed offered the role, but the testing process will continue, due to Chris being "conflicted" with playing another Superhero role.

UPDATE 2 Big Shiny Robot say Word around the campfire is that they still might be testing Kellan Lutz (if his Twilight obligations allow) and Alexander Skarsgard, just in case.

http://www.comicbookmovie.com/fansit.../news/?a=16075

Comment

While it's going to be hard to separate Chris from Johnny Storm, I think he could be a good choice. Cap and Storm are two very different personalities and I think Chris could do it.

sigpic

Comment

His acting credits so far don't give me much hope for that.
                  sigpic
                  More fun @ Spoofgate!

Comment

Originally posted by nx01a View Post
                    His acting credits so far don't give me much hope for that.
                    Have you ever seen any of the stuff Hugh Jackman did before X-Men? What about Reeve before Superman or Keaten before Batman (other than Beetlejuice)? All it takes is the right person for the right role, and you'd be amazed. I still want Christoph Waltz as Red Skull and Aaron Eckhart as Cap, but I think Chris Evans could pull it off so long he plays the serious role and not an annoying douchebag like Johnny Storm.

sigpic

Comment

Hugh Jackman was/remains a respected and versatile stage actor. Reeve was pretty much a fresh face. Keaton... Hmm. You may have a point there.
                      Perhaps poor Chris has been typecast in FF, FF2, Push, Sunshine/Sunrise/Suncrap. Or maybe he hasn't. Who knows? I was surprised to see Ryan Reynolds pull off Amityville.
                      sigpic
                      More fun @ Spoofgate!

Comment

Originally posted by nx01a View Post
                        Hugh Jackman was/remains a respected and versatile stage actor. Reeve was pretty much a fresh face. Keaton... Hmm. You may have a point there.
                        Perhaps poor Chris has been typecast in FF, FF2, Push, Sunshine/Sunrise/Suncrap. Or maybe he hasn't. Who knows? I was surprised to see Ryan Reynolds pull off Amityville.
                        Even as a stage actor (I think it's stage musicals which is even more bizarre), it's still a big jump from stage to a 100 million dollar movie with some minor tv experience in between. He's a great actor, a brilliant choice for Wolverine and he deserves the success, but before X-Men was released and was in early development, could you honestly say that picking a musical stage actor sounds like the best idea for Wolverine?

I think that Chris Evans could be like Reeve, Jackman and Keaton. I remember him from Street Kings and thought he was really good in it. More characters like that and less like Johnny Storm, he could establish himself as a serious action actor.

Ryan Reynolds is another good example. I remember him from Two guys, a girl and a pizza place. He does a lot of comedy, but loved in Smokin' Aces, Blade III, He's doing both Deadpool and Green Lantern and he did Amityville Horror which is very far from Two guys, Van Wilder or Waiting. If anything, Reynolds would be like Keaton. If I remember right, one of the issues about Keaton doing Batman was the fact he'd come from a comedy background.
                        Last edited by SaberBlade; 20 March 2010, 05:02 PM.

sigpic

Comment

Two Guys, a Girl and a Pizza Place!!! I LOVED that show!
                          And back on topic...
                          sigpic
                          More fun @ Spoofgate!

Comment

The Hollywood Reporter is stating Evans has now taken the role...

Linky

'You gotta admit, Vampires are just plain cool'

Comment

Other sources are reporting that, too.

Oh, dear... Hollywood Knows Best.
                              sigpic
                              More fun @ Spoofgate!

Comment

I'm not 10000000% sure about Evans..... but i think he could be an interesting Cap...

Looking forward to seeing how they go about this

'You gotta admit, Vampires are just plain cool'

Comment

Working...
                                X