No announcement yet.

The Avengers (Marvel) - News/Discussion/Speculation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Marvel Studios Replacing Edward Norton For The Avengers?

Marvel Studios' master plan to link their heroes from independent films, will eventually lead to their most anticipated film of all, "The Avengers." And while the main Avengers Robert Downey Jr. (Iron Man), Chris Evans (Captain America), and Chris Hemsworth (Thor) are all confirmed, Edward Norton's return as Bruce Banner, The Incredible Hulk, has been a mystery... until today.

According to Drew McWeeny, of HitFix, "Marvel Sources" the studio has decided they are going to cast an unknown to play Bruce Banner in "The Avengers."

Ever since Marvel and Norton's fallout over The Incredible Hulk situation, it was questioned whether Ed would return for a potential sequel and "Avengers." The studio's president Kevin Feige has been skeptical saying "it all depends on scheduling," when asked on the subject of Norton's return. Mcweeny says that Norton may have dropped out himself, but that would be a surprise considering Edward's stating in numerous interviews that he would be glad to play Bruce Banner again.

continues:
    http://www.comicbookmovie.com/fansit.../news/?a=19904

Comment

I think Hulk is doomed, just doesn't seem worth doing the character any more if they are unable to keep an actor for the role. I liked Norton in the role and was looking forward to him doing Incredible Hulk 2 and/or The Avengers.

sigpic

Comment

I'm serious, I will not see this film if they replace Edward Norton with anybody. The Incredible Hulk is the best comic book film I have seen since Spider-Man 2 IMO. I will complain to the end of time if this happens.

Comment

The Hulk franchise is cursed. I'm not even sure if I want to see him in the Avengers movie anyway.

I haven't heard anything about Wasp and Ant-Man/Giant-Man. Are they even gonna use them?
          || Star Stream || Destiny Song || The Four Suns (My Band) || The Art of War <<== listen please!

Comment

Originally posted by SaberBlade View Post
            I think Hulk is doomed, just doesn't seem worth doing the character any more if they are unable to keep an actor for the role. I liked Norton in the role and was looking forward to him doing Incredible Hulk 2 and/or The Avengers.
            I feel the same way. IMO, he did a great job in the role. It is a real shame to read this news.
            sigpic
            MS - "Boy, wow that's a great question!"
            "...phu...ah..."
            "Anyone know what SENTIENT means???"
            Sunday is my favorite day for two reasons - Football and The Walking Dead

Comment

Marvel Confirms Edward Norton Won't Be Returning As The Hulk

Marvel Studios President of Production Kevin Feige forwarded the following email to HitFix:

"We have made the decision to not bring Ed Norton back to portray the title role of Bruce Banner in the Avengers. Our decision is definitely not one based on monetary factors, but instead rooted in the need for an actor who embodies the creativity and collaborative spirit of our other talented cast members. The Avengers demands players who thrive working as part of an ensemble, as evidenced by Robert, Chris H, Chris E, Sam, Scarlett, and all of our talented casts. We are looking to announce a name actor who fulfills these requirements, and is passionate about the iconic role in the coming weeks.

http://www.comicbookmovie.com/fansit.../news/?a=19925

Comment

So what? Norton isn't a team player or just too much of a screentime whore? They should have been able to look past that for the sake of the fans, but once again Hulk gets screwed over. I'm hoping that Hulk gets little screentime (which is probably what they want to do since the CG involved won't be cheap).

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by SaberBlade View Post
                  So what? Norton isn't a team player or just too much of a screentime whore? They should have been able to look past that for the sake of the fans, but once again Hulk gets screwed over. I'm hoping that Hulk gets little screentime (which is probably what they want to do since the CG involved won't be cheap).
                  Actually its been proven numerous times in the past that Ed doesn't care about the fans at all. I'm thinking he's not the greatest team player either. He's great as an actor though, but from the sounds of it, his ego was clashing with the producers of the movie.
                  sigpic

Comment

I'm not too worried about Ed caring about the fans, as I've heard stories too, but Marvel. I'd like to think they'd have tried to put up with Diva Norton than just recast him, but then again I could be unfairly blaming Marvel as we don't know if how much they tried to secure a deal with him. I'd have thought Norton could have at least played nice as it would have helped him loads when it came to a Hulk sequel.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by magictrick View Post
                      Actually its been proven numerous times in the past that Ed doesn't care about the fans at all. I'm thinking he's not the greatest team player either. He's great as an actor though, but from the sounds of it, his ego was clashing with the producers of the movie.
                      Edward Norton was excited about playing the role again, and Joss Whedon wanted Ed Norton to comce back. Marvel screwed him over. I don't believe it when people say he didn't care the fans. But it is likely he wanted a say in the story and didn't get it.....I think there was definitely something going on.

Comment

I just read about this over at Fark and thought I'd come post it here....but it seems I've been beaten to it!

I think this news frelling sucks. Edward Norton's Hulk movie was actually pretty awesome, and I'd love to have seen him in the Avengers film. Something about this cries "budget!" to me.
                        "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

RUMOR: Joaquin Phoenix Offered 'Hulk' Role in The Avengers

Marvel has confirmed that The Incredible Hulk star, Edward Norton will not be Hulking-out in the highly anticipated Avengers movie, due to the Oscar nominee being difficult to work with. Though Norton's agent disagrees, Marvel will proceed to finding an actor to feel the Goliath's shoes.

Now Devin Faraci from CHUD is reporting that...."Reliable sources tell me that Marvel has already put out an offer, and the actor they've spoken to is Joaquin Phoenix, believe it or not. Phoenix is taking time to mull over the offer and the bigger implications - Marvel may yet resurrect the Hulk franchise - but Marvel hopes to have him in place by Comic Con, which is when they want to announce their new Bruce Banner."

CHUD goes on to say that..."I'm hearing that whoever plays Banner will be the lowest man on The Avengers pay totem pole. And if Phoenix doesn't take the part, Marvel will quickly go to someone else."

http://www.comicbookmovie.com/fansit.../news/?a=19959

Comment

If the new guy replacing Ed shows up at Comic Con with the cast at the panel I hope he gets booed at whenever his name is said

Comment

Originally posted by JackO'Neill View Post
                              If the new guy replacing Ed shows up at Comic Con with the cast at the panel I hope he gets booed at whenever his name is said
                              Well it would be pretty low to boo the new guy....its Kevin Feige who should be booed.

Comment

Originally posted by Replicator Todd View Post
                                Well it would be pretty low to boo the new guy....its Kevin Feige who should be booed.
                                Boo them both

Comment

Working...
                                X