No announcement yet.

The End, Part 2 (618)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Before things get heated up, keep in mind that no one needs to "convince" someone else that the finale "was great" or that the finale "sucked". Some people liked it, some didn't.

Discussing why you liked it or why you didn't is good.

Trying to explain what you got out of it or didn't get out of it is good.

Getting upset because someone else doesn't agree with you,not so good.

I doubt that I will ever be completely happy with the ending. I was always under the impression that they had a plan. That the reason they decided on an end date was so they could write toward that plan. Now, I'm left feeling that there was no plan. Nothing anyone says will convince me that there was.

That doesn't negate the fact that some people did enjoy it and were satisfied with the ending. If that's how you (general you) feel, then good for you. I'm glad your happy and that it met your expectations. On the other hand, just because you (general you) enjoyed it and were satisfied doesn't negate the fact that some were left feeling "lost" and unsatisfied. Neither feeling is wrong, it's just what it is.

So by all means discuss, debate, put forth your thoughts and ideas, just respect each others opinions. and keep a cool head
    Last edited by KatG; 25 May 2010, 01:18 PM.
    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by KatG View Post
      Before things get heated up, keep in mind that no one needs to "convince" someone else that the finale "was great" or that the finale "sucked". Some people liked it, some didn't.

Discussing why you liked it or why you didn't is good.

Trying to explain what you got out of it or didn't get out of it is good.

Getting upset because someone else doesn't agree with you,not so good.

I doubt that I will ever be completely happy with the ending. I was always under the impression that they had a plan. That the reason they decided on an end date was so they could write toward that plan. Now, I'm left feeling that there was no plan. Nothing anyone says will convince me that there was.

That doesn't negate the fact that some people did enjoy it and were satisfied with the ending. If that's how you (general you) feel, then good for you. I'm glad your happy and that it met your expectations. On the other hand, just because you (general you) enjoyed it and were satisfied doesn't negate the fact that some were left feeling "lost" and unsatisfied. Neither feeling is wrong, it's just what it is.

So by all means discuss, debate, put forth your thoughts and ideas, just respect each others opinions. and keep a cool head
      I dont think there was ever a detailed plan of how it would unwind. There was an end game for sure, but the step by step process of getting to it could never have been planned.

Comment

so days have went by, i keep thinking about the ending, and the more i do, the more i feel about it.

i like happy endings!!

four original characters were killed off, and the last one, basically alone and in misery. (i don't count a dog sitting by him as real company)

then we've got three originals being able to leave the island... why not all of them?

then three being stuck on that blasted island for the rest of their lives.

yes, i'm a happyendings! girl , but this final ep has left a sour taste in my mouth.

whether it was well done or not (it's ALWAYS well done), it still was a downer ending. why???
        sally

sigpic

Comment

I still think Lost was a great show. I loved everything about it until the last 15 minutes when imo they did "drop the ball" and make me think that despite what we've been told all this time, they really were just making it up as they went along.
          yes. :|
          sally

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Sp!der View Post
            i dont know what youre all yammering about, its the best finale ive watched yet of a tv show... well one of the best....
            I think I can explain that. Sci-Fi fans expect a fairly consistent "theology" where everything is explained and nothing can remain unexplained. The dogma says that God does not exist and that if you just research enough, you disprove God's existence. God is a quaint old idea that must be left in the past.

The outrage is that this did not happen.

I think the key to understanding the final scenes is that the resolution of each person's story is not taking place in linear time. The island was a real place full of unresolved mysteries (just like real life, but against sci-fi dogma). The alt time line was the meeting place for souls letting go and moving on. Purgatory is a bit strong. I think the Grey Havens is much closer.

Comment

Originally posted by majorsal View Post
              so days have went by, i keep thinking about the ending, and the more i do, the more i feel about it.

i like happy endings!!

four original characters were killed off, and the last one, basically alone and in misery. (i don't count a dog sitting by him as real company)

then we've got three originals being able to leave the island... why not all of them?

then three being stuck on that blasted island for the rest of their lives.

yes, i'm a happyendings! girl , but this final ep has left a sour taste in my mouth.

whether it was well done or not (it's ALWAYS well done), it still was a downer ending. why???
              Well Hugo was the new Jacob, he has the ability to allow Ben and Desmond to leave. I'm sure he let Desmond return to Penny, and by what i gathered from the show Ben stayed with Hugo for a period of time or maybe even the entire time he was the protector of the island. However long a period of time that was. You have too look at Jacks death as a good death. He died saving the island and what was remaining of his friends, allowing them to leave the island and live there lives in the real world.

Comment

Originally posted by marty2006 View Post
                Well Hugo was the new Jacob, he has the ability to allow Ben and Desmond to leave. I'm sure he let Desmond return to Penny, and by what i gathered from the show Ben stayed with Hugo for a period of time or maybe even the entire time he was the protector of the island. However long a period of time that was. You have too look at Jacks death as a good death. He died saving the island and what was remaining of his friends, allowing them to leave the island and live there lives in the real world.
                That last scene of Jack with Vincent was one of the most touching moments in the show. And I agree, Jack's death was noble and he died for something. He was perfectly content at the end. And he got his happy ending later.

The mystery of the Island (as much as they were going to tell us anyway) was solved in Across the Sea when CJ Cregg told her boys about the island. The rest of the season was about finishing the story of the people who encountered this island and its strange, supernatural occupants. Some of them died and some of them went on living which is the way most adventures end. But then we got a chance to see them happy and reunited in eternity.

I know some folks are disappointed with the supernatural, mystical sorts of explanations and would rather have it explained by science, but I'm OK with the ending. As sci-fi fans we watch all kinds stories about beings with supernatural powers and things that cannot be explained so that's the way I looked at it. The finale, I thought, wisely concentrated on finishing the characters' journeys.

I like to think that Miles and Sawyer did become cops and that Hurley opened a chicken restaurant on the Island.
                Jace

When I was young, I used to admire intelligent people; as I grow older, I admire kind people.

Abraham Joshua Heschel

Comment

B5 was a very good show and I'd recommend it to anyone. JMS not only had a plan, he wrote most of the show himself. and anyone that wrote for him had to have their script approved by him...and the actors were not allowed to improvise without his permission....because sometimes what seemed like a random line in season 2 was the focal point of season 4.

the show was conceived, from its beginning, to be a 5 year show, with distinct chapters, beginning middle and end.

as to lost and MIB, one thing....i don't think MIB, aka John, was allowed to kill the candidates....others, sure, but the candidates were off limits. Now, if he could manipulate them into killing themselves, that's another matter. thus the whole 'losties vs others' stuff
                  Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver View Post
                    as to lost and MIB, one thing....i don't think MIB, aka John, was allowed to kill the candidates....others, sure, but the candidates were off limits. Now, if he could manipulate them into killing themselves, that's another matter. thus the whole 'losties vs others' stuff
                    he could manipulate the others to kill each other - hence the C4 on the submarine and the Jack/Sawyer showdown. Jack knew that the MiB couldn't kill them - from his run in with Richard - even though it wasn't related. But since Sawyer messed with the C4, all of a sudden it was Sawyer killing, not the MiB, hence why the explosive went off.

Comment

Also, found this.

Read: http://lostmediamentions.blogspot.co...on-finale.html

Comment

Originally posted by Morbo View Post
                        Nice find! Thanks for the link.
                        sigpic
                        MS - "Boy, wow that's a great question!"
                        "...phu...ah..."
                        "Anyone know what SENTIENT means???"
                        Sunday is my favorite day for two reasons - Football and The Walking Dead

Comment

Originally posted by flobo View Post
                          Why did he wait until season 6 to reveal himself and for the 5 first seasons, simply had the others kill/abduct random people, but NOT his candidates.
                          They explained in 'Ab Aeterno' that Jacob didn't like to be directly involved and he wanted people to make their own choices. Then when Richard reminded him that MIB does get involved, Jacob asked him if he'd like to help him.

Okay. I'll give you that, but why was the island special? Why did it need protecting? There wasn't always a smoke monster, so what made it special before? Why could the light destroy everything?
                          They were protecting it from anyone who might come to the island, find it and try to do what MIB and his people were trying to do.
                          || Star Stream || Destiny Song || The Four Suns (My Band) || The Art of War <<== listen please!

Comment

Originally posted by the fifth man View Post
                            Wow, what an ending. I have to admit though, I wasn't as surprised as I thought I would be. I always thought them being dead was a possibility. What did you all think?
                            I enjoyed about 80% of the episode thoroughly, but the resolution itself was pathetic. A complete lack of creativity shown there, they took the easy route.

Comment

Originally posted by KEK View Post
                              I enjoyed about 80% of the episode thoroughly, but the resolution itself was pathetic. A complete lack of creativity shown there, they took the easy route.
                              I saw this posted over at TV.com forum;
                              What were the promos showing/saying between each and every season finalè and run-up to the new season; throughout the first five (and even sixth) season(s)? Was it things like

A: "Who will Kate choose, Jack or Sawyer? Will Locke finally find some standing room? Will Charlie and Claire live happy lives with baby Aaron!? Find out on all new LOST!"

or was it things like...

B: Who are 'The Others'!? What IS The Island!? Where ARE they (The 'LOSTIES' in other words)!? Who IS Jacob!? Find out on all new LOST!"

That right there, will answer the question "Why the hate?"
                              This essentially sums it up the most poignant way possible. The writers, producers, ABC, fan sites, hell the whole internet for 6 years told us to ask one set of questions because we were lead to believe this show was about one thing, when ONLY in the final hour did they decide to say hell with the show we presented for 6 years, we will give them another.

For those that watched simply for the characters, to see who would hook up with whom. To see if who Kate would chose, and all that other sappy pointless angles then yes you would be satisfied. But at least be honest and admit that this was not the show that was presented. Just because someone takes an element out of a show they like does not mean that is what the essence of the show is about. I have to wonder whether some are in self denial, because it seems that some have simply forgotten completely what it was that made this show.

Lastly let me say one other thing that I think is important. No we did not need every single little question answered, nobody is saying that are they. No story every really does. However when building up ambiguity, there is a certain requirement for it to be done correctly. Problem is most storytellers simply do not have the talent to do this properly, while others have done it simply because they really did not have the ability to provide the answers (thus the ambiguity is a red herring). Proper story teller will set up a method whereby the questions raised might be important, but the answers you provide will allow the story to continue. For Lost, we told by the story itself that the questions asked were important, and that we ONLY needed patience for answers. While it would be fun to guess what they are, in the end the story would provide us. And for essentially 6 years THIS is what the story did.....that is until the final 10 minutes when they through out the book.

Yet you can re-write the rules in the final chapter. People who do this either do not respect their audience, or more precisely never had a clue about their own story. Lost, and BSG, simply prove to me that the TV medium is a horrible method of story telling, and frankly come next year I won't have much to worry about. I can not think of any books or movies that are as utterly corrupted by idiocy than I have seen through the medium of TV. Sure there are movies where I did not like the ending, it was not a happy one, but at least it was properly fit into the context of the story.

Comment

Re: "What is the island?"

Would some technobabble explanation about magnets and stuff really be that much more fulfilling and meaningful?

Comment

Working...
                                X