No announcement yet.

Five Years Gone (120)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think both DL and Sylar could pull through anyone they wanted. DL was stopped by the fact that Niki was in prison and that with guards and security cameras it'd make the timing of the breakout complicated... and if I recall correctly, the only stopping point was that Niki refused to allow him to do it.

Comment

My guess is that DL didn't have full control over his power. IIRC, he has always used his power slowly, as if it takes a lot of concentration. Sylar, however, used his very quickly, suggesting that he has full control over the ability. It may be that Sylar got a lot of practice with it, or his original ability allowed him to fully understand how DL's power works.

So perhaps DL can do it, but he just doesn't know how to yet. Or, of course, Peter merely absorbed the power and involuntarily activated it when Sylar grabbed him.

Comment

I think much of power has to do with degree of control, much like how Sylar's control TK... compare to all other skills that he exhibits, TK is by far the most used skills. In fact, in this episode, he effectively full control (the way he make Claire stand still et al).

Comment

I have to admit that I´ve become very curious about where the writers are going with this series. We´ve all more or less assumed that Hiro and the rest would manage to stop the bomb and save New York but in light of this episode it´s enterily possible that the writers are in fact going to destroy the city.

It all more or less fits together as everything that Hiro has done to stop the bomb hasn´t changed anything or might even have caused it all to happen in the first place.

The main arguement against everything being inevitable is the fact that it would make the series to predictable (from now on) plus the future it paints is a very bleak one and might put of many viewers. It would mean that there were no real suprises in store for us til the show progressed beyond the timoe point of "Five years gone" and I just can´t imagine the writers doing that.

Comment

Originally posted by Wyrminarrd View Post
            I have to admit that I´ve become very curious about where the writers are going with this series. We´ve all more or less assumed that Hiro and the rest would manage to stop the bomb and save New York but in light of this episode it´s enterily possible that the writers are in fact going to destroy the city.

It all more or less fits together as everything that Hiro has done to stop the bomb hasn´t changed anything or might even have caused it all to happen in the first place.

The main arguement against everything being inevitable is the fact that it would make the series to predictable (from now on) plus the future it paints is a very bleak one and might put of many viewers. It would mean that there were no real suprises in store for us til the show progressed beyond the timoe point of "Five years gone" and I just can´t imagine the writers doing that.
            I agree. I feel like we're moving towards NYC exploding in 3 weeks. I mean next week's ep is called
            Spoiler:
            "Landslide". Nathan wins the election perhaps? In a landslide, just as predicted.
            Then the bomb explodes the next day. It would follow with the "can't change the future" motif put forth in Six Months Ago when Hiro couldn't save Charlie. That's where I think they're going, but maybe they'll surprise us...
            sigpic

Comment

This show just keeps getting better & better. "5 Years Gone" was great (although I agree that "String Theory" is a much more apt name for the ep). I really like future Peter, until I saw him in his bad-arsed Matrix outfit, battling it out to save Ando & future Hiro, I always thought he was a bit of a whiny, useless little boy-man.

But, future Peter is very much grown up & definitely a force to be reckoned with, so I loved seeing him (not to mention that boy-man Peter does nothing for me, but future Peter was hot, hot, hot! ...lol) kick butt & take doen names.

I am one of the people who had no idea that President Nathan was actually Sylar. Nathan has always been willing to cut corners & be merciless when it comes to achieving his own goals, so I saw him as just a darker version of his present self (like a lot of the other future heroes). When he started tele-slicing Claire's head open I got the chills.

Future Matt was more active (even if he was just wrong in his decisions), but still kind of a buffoon. I like Matt, but I would like him to more proactive, rather than reactive & always dancing as a puppet on someone else's strings. I was happy to see that he had at least tried to help HRG, but it seems as if he only did that because he was trying to protect his son & for no other reason.

Speaking of Matt's kid, "hero" must be a dominant gene (or Matt's wife has a power she hasn't yet discovered) and if the heroes breed true even with just one parent having the gene, then someday fairly soon they will be the majority rather than the minority.

I loved how our Hiro was terrified of future Hiro, especially how he was saying things like, "I scare me," lol. It was also interesting that future Hiro only softened a bit (and lightened up) when he had been around Ando for a while. That is another benefit of having a sidekick, I guess, it helps humanize the hero. Those two are just the best match, they have incredible chemistry together (not in a slashy sort of way, just good chemistry, I don't want to see them as a couple!).

Comment

I don't think the future is entirely unchangeable, but it could be that there are some events that are too big to change and the nuking of New York could be one of them.

Comment

Originally posted by unowhoandwhy View Post
                  Speaking of Matt's kid, "hero" must be a dominant gene (or Matt's wife has a power she hasn't yet discovered) and if the heroes breed true even with just one parent having the gene, then someday fairly soon they will be the majority rather than the minority.
                  Not neccesarily, if the gene is recessive, she just might have a mixed genotype, so her child could still possibly have powers as long as the father had at least one gene coding for powers.
                  All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing-Edmund Burke

The question which once haunted my being has been answered. The future is not fixed, and my choices are my own... and yet, how ironic! For I now find, I have no choice at all! I am warrior... let the battle be joined.-Dinobot-Code of Hero

Don't blame me, I voted Cthulhu

Comment

Holy f*** Peter looks like Neo! Only with stubble.
                    Fear is the path to the dark side. Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to suffering-Yoda
                    The more bizzare a thing, the less mysterious it proves to be-Sherlock Holmes
                    I reject your reality and substitute my own-Adam Savage
                    A person is smart. People are stupid, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it-Agent Kay
                    That is the exploration that awaits you�not mapping stars and studying nebulae, but charting the unknown possibilities of existence-Q
                    Church: I learned a very valuable lesson in my travels, Tucker. No matter how bad things might seem...
                    Caboose: They could be worse?
                    Church: Nope, no matter how bad they seem, they can't be any better, and they can't be any worse, because that's the way things f***ing are, and you better get used to it Nancy. Quit-yer-b****ing.

If you smoke, you choke. If you choke, you're dead. 'Nuff said.

Comment

Really good episode, one question i have is if Peter can regenerate, why does he have a whopping great scar on his face?

Comment

Originally posted by ShadowMaat View Post
                        AAAAUUUUGGGHHHHHHH!!!!!

*takes breath*

AAAAUUUUUGGGGHHHHH!!!

Um. Yeah. Talk about a clusterfrak. Nathan Petrelli is dead and Sylar is masquerading as him. Scaaary.
                        Pity they never explained HOW sylar killed of Nathan and that shape shifting gal..

And Peter. With a scar. What happened to the miracle-heal?
                        Don't know.. BUT i actually liked it.

And Double the Hiro! Yay!
                        Not sure if i liked "Gotee" hiro though.

Too much to process now, but I gotta imagine things are gonna go pretty nasty in Future NYC seeing as many witnesses (and probably the TV cameras) caught the president FLYING. And not on drugs.

Wow.
                        It would have been interesting if they had an ep or two showing the aftermath OF that encounter, before Hiro went back in time and erased it all (cause of stopping Syler).

Originally posted by warmbeachbrat View Post
                        Wait--I didn't realize. Does Sylar gain powers only when the people are dead?
                        He has to 'examine" their brains to copy their powers into himself.. Unlike Peter, who can copy them by just being around them. However Syler also learns how to properly operate them as soon as he copies them unlike Peter who has to experiment (from what it seems so far)..

Originally posted by Buddhawasanancient View Post
                        That's what i was thinking...Mama Petrelli and Linderman must go way back...
                        Supposedly those 2 along with Hiro's father were the 3 founders of the "Company"..

Originally posted by Steve_the_Wraith View Post
                        You know who we need - the Hatian

Only he can save New York by turning off exploding man's powers (whoever exploding man is )
                        That makes me wonder what the effects OF his 'neutralization" abilities are.. We saw he was REAL close to Nathan but he still flew off, in one of the earlier eps.. BUT can be 10ft or so away from HRG and still block off people mind reading him...

Originally posted by Coremae View Post
                        Remember the color of the energy that was pushing mohinda from the other side of the door, it started blue, representing Sylar and gradually became more and more red, its obvious, Peter kicked Sylar's @$$. Peter perhaps was so pissed when he found out Sylar killed his brother and was responsible for all the unrest and hatred towards specials, he perhaps thought of the only ability he could channel his anger through. How do you stop an exploding Man!!!!!

I absolutely hate Sylar, when he killed future Claire I wanted to rip out his entrails.
                        Ever since first seeing Sylar do that to another mutant (evo) i have wanted someone to just behead him...
                        And i agree, the way those lights seemed to shift from blue (which is what Sylar's hands were) to red/orange (which is what Peter's hands were) made me go SQUEE!!!

Originally posted by unowhoandwhy View Post
                        IIRC in the news cast, they did mention that many 'evos' were being rounded up/found cause of how quickly they seemed to breed. BUT then again there also seems to be ones just popping into being, with no family history of them..

Comment

Working...
                        X