A Golden Crown (106)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Lahela View Post
    But Arya is not the same kind of person as Sansa. Arya is a tomboy, rebellious, strong willed, whereas Sansa has absorbed everything the septa has taught her all her life and believes that what she is is what she needs to be in order to fulfill what is expected of her (and to an extent, she's right). They are both naive, but in different ways.
    I would say that the fault lies not with the septa and her teachings, but with Ned and Cat. They obviously didn't attend their daughter enough. She gained no common sense from either of them (which they both seem to have). She seems no better off than if she had been fostered a Targaryan. Although I get it, she simply was a spoiled little girl that probably always got her way.

And she's as dumb as a mud fence.
    Last edited by Shylodog; 25 May 2011, 11:44 AM.

Comment

HBO's inside the episode is up now on youtube,. Check it out for some behind the scenes info.
      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oCAp0Zi9w5I

Comment

Originally posted by Shylodog View Post
        I would say that the fault lies not with the septa and her teachings, but with Ned and Cat. They obviously didn't attend their daughter enough. She gained no common sense from either of them (which they both seem to have). She seems no better off than if she had been fostered a Targaryan. Although I get it, she simply was a spoiled little girl that probably always got her way.

And she's as dumb as a mud fence.
        Agreed, on all points.
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Lahela View Post
          Agreed, on all points.
          Sansa, as the first daughter born, was probably groomed to be married to a power lord since she was very little. Unfortunately, the result is a lot of misconceptions about what lords and princes can be like. As rulers of the North, the Starks have historically been stern and powerful but honorable and fair at the same time. She probably expects other houses to be as honorable as hers, not realizing the unfortunate realities of what families like the Lannisters can be like... or what kind of duplicity lords like Baelish can be capable of.
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Cold Fuzz View Post
            Sansa, as the first daughter born, was probably groomed to be married to a power lord since she was very little. Unfortunately, the result is a lot of misconceptions about what lords and princes can be like. As rulers of the North, the Starks have historically been stern and powerful but honorable and fair at the same time. She probably expects other houses to be as honorable as hers, not realizing the unfortunate realities of what families like the Lannisters can be like... or what kind of duplicity lords like Baelish can be capable of.
            Indeed, she's been brought up to expect Knights in shining armour and noble lords. Though I would say she also suffers from just being a bit thick.

Also I'm liking the avatar. Go Grenn!

Comment

There are only so many times a person can be beaten upside the head with the truth of things before you give up and they either get it or they don't and Sansa is not getting that things are not the way she believes them to be. She is living in a fantasy world that she wont get out of.
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by dragongirl View Post
                There are only so many times a person can be beaten upside the head with the truth of things before you give up and they either get it or they don't and Sansa is not getting that things are not the way she believes them to be. She is living in a fantasy world that she wont get out of.
                Knowing what's coming all I'll say is that's not entirely true...

Comment

Originally posted by The Mighty 6 platoon View Post
                  We'll just say "refuses to get out of...." and call it good. I've gotten to about page 2000 in the books (it's all one book, not four, on my iPad) and have been glued to it since I've picked it up. My wife is starting to get irritated with me.

Comment

Indeed, she's been brought up to expect Knights in shining armour and noble lords. Though I would say she also suffers from just being a bit thick.
                    Of course, that's also very likely too. While I was reading the book, I would just chuckle at Sansa and think, "Oh your poor little foolish thing. You have NO idea what Joffrey is really like."

Also I'm liking the avatar. Go Grenn!
                    Thanks. I always thought Jon and the Night's Watch men were great. I always looked forward to their chapters. Grenn and Pyp are actually pretty funny and it's good to see some of that in the series.
                    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Shylodog View Post
                      We'll just say "refuses to get out of...." and call it good. I've gotten to about page 2000 in the books (it's all one book, not four, on my iPad) and have been glued to it since I've picked it up. My wife is starting to get irritated with me.
                      Okay I can agree to refuses to get out of then
                      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by dragongirl View Post
                        Okay I can agree to refuses to get out of then
                        Indeed, that's a better description. She's not a bad person, just a little short in the brain department.

Comment

Indeed, that's a better description. She's not a bad person, just a little short in the brain department.
                          Yup. Good thing she seems to be the only Stark child like that.
                          sigpic

Comment

Throughout this episode I kept thinking of Robert's words from an earlier episode, that a "war is coming" because almost every scene seemed to set the stage for war.

Starting with the opening with Cersei, Robert and Ned where Robert was forced to admit that he can't do anything about Jaime killing Ned's men because he's in too much debt to Jaime's father. Also, he can't afford to have the Lannisters and the Starks at war with each other because he needs the support of each of these powerful houses to remain in power. It was sad to see that he seemed to be the only one who thought that he could will away the problems between the 2 houses. He seems to think that if Catelyn releases Tyrion then there would be no war -- refusing to see that things have gone too far to prevent a war.

The scene where Robert hit and then threatened Cersei was raw and it highlighted just how reckless Robert had become. As if Cersei needed any more reasons to hate him. It was also clear how ill-equipped both Robert and Ned are for their current positions. Neither man is subtle or devious enough to navigate the minefields of the court well and it's sometimes painful to watch.

When Robert told Ned that he considered him his only brother, I felt sorry for both men because as willful as Robert is, he seemed to realize that he put his "brother" in a very dangerous position, but that he didn't have any other choice because he needed someone he trusted to have his back. In their last scene, they reminded me of two old soldiers who had lived just a little too long because things had changed so quickly that they didn't have time to adapt.

This episode also did a good job in highlighting how concerned all the residents of the seven kingdoms must be about an almost certain war between the 2 houses. Case in point, Robb Stark and Theon Greyjoy's disagreement about how House Stark should respond to Jaime's attack in Ned's absence. And, Ros, the popular prostitute, leaves Winterfell because most of the men will likely leave for war soon. Even Ned has completely changed his tune since he arrived in King's Landing. When he first arrived he told Arya how important it was for Sansa to support Joffrey since she was to be his wife soon. Now, he realizes that any association with the Lannisters is too dangerous for a Stark and is sending them back to Winterfell for their protection.

He's also decided to take a hard line in response Tywin Lannister's threat to House Tully by ordering The Mountain's death because he acted in Tywin's name to try to sully his wife's name by committing atrocities and then setting up his wife's family house to take the blame. Furthermore, by calling out Tywin directly, war is all but inevitable. Watching that scene, Ned almost seemed to say 'bring it on' because he had enough of trying to be something that he wasn't - a diplomat.

While Ned's actions seemed easy to read, I was puzzled by Littlefinger's because he almost seemed to be goading Ned when first he asked Ned if House Tully was his wife's house -- he knew it was. And, then when he asked if Ned knew why the Lannisters would be angry with Ned's wife. Strange.

While this is happening, the threat of the Dothraki is still looming, which only a few know about and the White Walkers have resurfaced, which even fewer know about.

Speaking of threats, Danenerys is certainly becoming one in her own right and her scene with one of the dragon’s eggs where she puts it on a bed of coals and watches it heat and then lifts it from the coals with her bare hands was kind of creepy because she almost seems to go into a trance when she concentrates on the eggs. When she lifted the egg from the fire it was like she knew the fire wouldn’t harm her.

Viserys' jealousy during the ritual where Danenerys had succeeded in eating the entire heart of a horse was palpable. He may be crazy, but he's not entirely stupid because he knew he was done for then and couldn't count on the support of Khal Drogo and the Dothraki to fight for him. IMO, his failed attempt to steal the 3 dragon's eggs and leave was the smartest move he had ever made.

Unfortunately, he went back to his usual arrogant and insane self when he tried to drunkenly force Khal Drogo to give him his crown or else he would take Danenerys away and cut her baby out of her and leave it for Drogo. He foolishly thought that because the Dothraki were forbidden to spill blood in their city that they wouldn't be able to come up with other deadly, painful ways of exacting revenge. Poor, insane Viserys' -- I almost felt sorry for him when he looked so happy after Danenerys translated that Drogo said he would give Viserys his "golden crown." The disdain Drogo had for Viserys was so strong that even someone as crazy as Viserys should have been aware of it.

When Drogo dropped his gold in the cauldron to melt and had his men grab Viserys, I knew what was coming and so did he. After dumping the molten gold over Viserys' head, Drogo got right in his face and closely watched him die -- it was like he wanted his death to be as personal as possible. I suspect that crazy Viserys may have gotten off easy because as nasty as his death was, it probably would have been worse if Drogo had been able to spill his blood. Danenerys' dispassionate reaction during this was just as chilling because she watched Viserys the way you would observe a bug under glass. Those Targaryens really know how to bring the crazy!

Bran had another vision/dream of the crow/raven and it was good to see how excited he was to be able to ride again with his custom saddle. As usual, the scenes surrounding this event were used to maximum affect because in addition to seeing Bran use his saddle, we got to hear Robb and Theon disagree about how to respond to Jaime Lannister's attack on the residents of House Stark. And, there was an attack by wildlings where we discovered that many of them followed a single leader who wanted to take on the Night's Watch and Benjen Stark, in particular.

Tyrion almost rolling off his open air jail cell at The Eyrie creeped me out and Bronn as his champion was made of win. His little "what the hell" shrug, after he shocked everyone by offering to be Tyrion's champion was hilarious. I felt sorry for Ser Vargas though because Lysa drafted him and, as Bronn said, his honor got him killed because he didn't adapt to Bronn's anything goes fighting style. Lysa is as nutty as ever and poor Catelyn looked trapped throughout Tyrion's "trial" and rather relieved when Bronn won Tyrion's freedom.

Loved Arya's scenes with Syrio. Arya didn't want to practice with Syrio because she’s grieving for Jory, but Syrio convinced her that she didn't have the luxury of not feeling like practicing, unless she wanted to die. He convinced her to use her grief in her practice. Good scenes for both characters.

Unfortunately, Sansa was Sansa. First she was b****y to Septa Mordane, but when Joffrey arrived and gave her a necklace she turned into a simpering wuss around him -- as usual. Septa looked a bit concerned in the background as Joffrey promised he would never be mean to Sansa again. Yeah, right.

Robert's hunt scene with Renly, Ser Barristan Selmy and Lancel was curious. Lancel kept making sure that Robert had enough wine. Renly got tired of hearing Robert brag about the good old days, so he told him off and then left. While Barristan looked on with what appeared to be a combination of bemusement and concern.

Things continue to heat up. Now on to the next episode.
                            sigpic
                            Sig by Luciana

Comment

And there's ned's revelation/secret....that until robert's current wife, all the members of his house had black hair...but all robert's 'children' are blond....the offspring of the queen and, what's his name, fancy pants lannister (the one that was shagging her in the tower)

Robert's been a cuckold his whole marriage.
                              Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver View Post
                                And there's ned's revelation/secret....that until robert's current wife, all the members of his house had black hair...but all robert's 'children' are blond....the offspring of the queen and, what's his name, fancy pants lannister (the one that was shagging her in the tower)

Robert's been a cuckold his whole marriage.
                                Cercie's brother's name is Jaime.

Robert's had his own playtime as well. Littlefinger told Ned the exact number of bastards, but I can't remember it offhand.

Comment

Working...
                                X