Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

From what I understand they air the episode a dozen times over just a couple of days on several of their channels to give everybody the chance to catch it live, so maybe they want to pull all of those together before announcing the results. It could lower the numbers at the premiere if people knew they could catch the episode soon after.

sigpic
    Check out my SGA and Fringe fanfics on fanfiction.net

Comment

Game of Thrones scores Sky Atlantic ratings record

Adaptation of George RR Martin's fantasy series launches with average of 743,000 viewers, plus more on Sky+

http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/2011...lantic-ratings

Game of Thrones: Sky Atlantic, 9pm – Fantasy epic Game of Thrones took the crown as Sky Atlantic's most popular show to date for its launch episode on Monday 18 April.

The big-budget HBO spectacular starring Sean Bean averaged 743,000 viewers between 9pm and 10.10pm, with a peak of 823,000.

It beat the Sky channel's previous highest overnight audience, believed to be the first episode of Martin Scorsese's Boardwalk Empire, which averaged 438,000 on its opening night.

Game of Thrones' audience is likely to be around 50% higher when viewing on timeshifted viewing on Sky+ is taken into account.

The Sky Atlantic show was the fifth most popular digital programme of the night, behind E4's Glee with 1.314 million and a trio of BBC3 shows, including an EastEnders repeat (1.088 million) and a double helping of Family Guy repeats.

Game of Thrones was the most popular subscription digital channel show of the night, however, beating Sky Sports 1's Live Championship Football into second place with 444,000 viewers kicking off at 7.30pm, and Sky 1's The Simpsons repeat in third with 426,000 viewers between 7.30pm and 8pm.

Comment

Originally posted by Blencathra View Post
        Game of Thrones scores Sky Atlantic ratings record

Adaptation of George RR Martin's fantasy series launches with average of 743,000 viewers, plus more on Sky+

http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/2011...lantic-ratings

Game of Thrones: Sky Atlantic, 9pm – Fantasy epic Game of Thrones took the crown as Sky Atlantic's most popular show to date for its launch episode on Monday 18 April.

The big-budget HBO spectacular starring Sean Bean averaged 743,000 viewers between 9pm and 10.10pm, with a peak of 823,000.

It beat the Sky channel's previous highest overnight audience, believed to be the first episode of Martin Scorsese's Boardwalk Empire, which averaged 438,000 on its opening night.

Game of Thrones' audience is likely to be around 50% higher when viewing on timeshifted viewing on Sky+ is taken into account.

The Sky Atlantic show was the fifth most popular digital programme of the night, behind E4's Glee with 1.314 million and a trio of BBC3 shows, including an EastEnders repeat (1.088 million) and a double helping of Family Guy repeats.

Game of Thrones was the most popular subscription digital channel show of the night, however, beating Sky Sports 1's Live Championship Football into second place with 444,000 viewers kicking off at 7.30pm, and Sky 1's The Simpsons repeat in third with 426,000 viewers between 7.30pm and 8pm.
        Good news on that front. I wonder if it's a big enough hit HBO could get SKY to contribute some of the budget.

Comment

Originally posted by The Mighty 6 platoon View Post
          Good news on that front. I wonder if it's a big enough hit HBO could get SKY to contribute some of the budget.
          I can't even begin to imagine what making this must have cost. It was definitely big screen quality, and I hope they can keep it up.

sigpic

Comment

Just read that it's been renewed for a second series

ETA: just saw the other thread! LOL!
            sigpic

Comment

Interesting article about the opening title credits by Angus Wall
              http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/rac...opening-179656
              sigpic
              My short movie "Red Bag" / The Scifi Guys Podcast / My Twitter account

Comment

Originally posted by Andron View Post
                I thought the map sequence was great but now I see it means so much more. That's awesome.
                sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Andron View Post
                  I caught some of the meaning when I watched them the second time around - such as the sigils - but this put everything into perspective. How cool is that to change the opening titles for the different episodes? I'll be watching these very carefully - once I get back from my holiday. We may even need a separate thread for these...

sigpic

Comment

I read the book back in '04. I'll be watching "Winter is Coming" a little later today.
                    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Cold Fuzz View Post
                      I read the book back in '04. I'll be watching "Winter is Coming" a little later today.
                      Enjoy!

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Lahela View Post
                        Just read that it's been renewed for a second series

ETA: just saw the other thread! LOL!
                        Wow, already, good to hear.
                        Posting at.............
                        http://godus.boards.net/

Comment

Yeah. I believe I read the ratings were based on three airings. I know they aired it right after it premiered. Not sure about the other one that counted. But the combined ratings of the three airings (along with the promise of seriously burgeoning overseas HBO subscribers and post-season episodic purchases through iTunes, etc./DVD sales) clearly indicated they had future financing.

Comment

they aired it the first night at 9, 10, and 11, i think those are the three airings that got counted.
                            sigpic

Comment

For me it was 8, 9 and 10 (I watched at 9) I am glad to be part of the viewing numbers
                              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by starg8fans View Post
                                I can't even begin to imagine what making this must have cost. It was definitely big screen quality, and I hope they can keep it up.
                                It cost them only $60 million, which for a HBO production, while respectable, they’ve done bigger. The key thing is they filmed in Northern Ireland and Malta, where filming is very cheap, they got huge tax breaks, government funding and huge studios for free. What cost $60 million would have cost $90 million to $100 million anywhere else. This is actually very good, the show looks amazing, yet while it’s got a large budget, it’s not out of control and HBO don’t have to worry about prohibitive costs.

However the second book has some huge battle scenes in, so it would be nice if the budget got a bit of a bump so we could seem some of that on screen.

Comment

Working...
                                X